Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

glug posted:

Since I've finished it about 1.75 times, and probably am on to bigger and better things, we might could reach an arrangement. PM me or hit xxx if you'd like a near brand spankin' copy for a bit less ducats.

Got the game, thanks for not loving me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Real Myst is now available for the nifty price of $5.99.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
:hellyeah:

I had always wanted to like Myst but the slideshow always held me back. Hopefully I can get into it now.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

rt4 posted:

:hellyeah:

I had always wanted to like Myst but the slideshow always held me back. Hopefully I can get into it now.
I love RealMyst, but I need to know if it'll work on Windows 7 x64. I have it on CD and it didn't work past a certain year due to incompatibilities. I forget if the problem was Windows or graphics cards or something.

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Strange game-- the only winning move is not to play.

JazzFlight posted:

I love RealMyst, but I need to know if it'll work on Windows 7 x64. I have it on CD and it didn't work past a certain year due to incompatibilities. I forget if the problem was Windows or graphics cards or something.

I tried to get it to work a few months back, i failed though :(

And ignore this, i missed that it's available on GoG now. I am so buying it.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

JazzFlight posted:

My guess is it'll work since it's coming from gog. If not, worst case scenario download virtual XP and you should be able to install it on XP on your machine. I had no problem installing Wizardry Gold (original version, not from gog or anything) in XP mode, where it wouldn't on win 7 64 at all. It ran fine, until I realized that short of setting my monitor resolution to 640x480, it would be unplayable as designed, it being a terrible hack of a dos? game into a lovely window so that it would run in windows 3.1 or some poo poo.

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

glug posted:

My guess is it'll work since it's coming from gog. If not, worst case scenario download virtual XP and you should be able to install it on XP on your machine. I had no problem installing Wizardry Gold (original version, not from gog or anything) in XP mode, where it wouldn't on win 7 64 at all. It ran fine, until I realized that short of setting my monitor resolution to 640x480, it would be unplayable as designed, it being a terrible hack of a dos? game into a lovely window so that it would run in windows 3.1 or some poo poo.

I'll bite and buy it, i'll let everyone know how it works tonight.

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Looks like it's a no go, I got it to load once and everything looked and sounded fine and then the Myst book started falling and the graphic corruption started. Got into the game and everything was messed up. I've tried a variety of resolutions (started at 1920x1080) and graphic settings (no aa) and compatibility options but i just can't get it to run under Win 7 x64, looks like i wasted 6 bucks for now, at least i bought Shogo as well, maybe I'll have more luck getting that to run. Oh graphics card is a geforce GTX 275.

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

I stand corrected, went poking around the gog website after posting this and found a solution that has been working for me.

1. Change the setup utility (realMYSTSetup.exe) in your realMyst folder to run as admin always

2. Set the RealMystStart exe to windows xp sp3 compatability and check off run as admin.

3. Set your 3D Hardware to Direct3d HAL and NOT Direct3d T&L HAL

4. Set your resolution to whatever you want (i'm running 1920x1080 32 bit)

5. Set your texture quality to High (that's what i'm running at least)

6. I have Full Scene Anti-Aliasing on and it works fine, ymmv

7. Select ok and run RealMystStart.exe (the exe with the yellow gog icon and not the myst book one).

8. Hopefully play like me.

Hope this helps.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Glad it worked for you. Forgot to mention that it seems that while they are not officially 100% in support of windows 7 64bit yet, the forums for each game you buy seem to have a good group of users/fanatics that typically can help you get things going properly.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Driver: Parallel Lines is now available for $9.99.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Blodskur posted:

Driver: Parallel Lines is now available for $9.99.

They're really stretching the definitions of "good" and "old."

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Whatever happened to the original Driver game? I still have fond memories of it even though it seemed a tad unpolished.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Overwined posted:

Whatever happened to the original Driver game? I still have fond memories of it even though it seemed a tad unpolished.

You used to be able to get it from Direct2Drive, but it's since been removed from the site. It's now on the iPhone: http://appshopper.com/games/driver

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
The first Driver was always the best, though I wish Driver 2 got a PC port.

Anyway, if my counting is right, Driver: Parallel Lines is GOG's 180th game...though I never thought it would be a 5GB game from 2 1/2 years ago.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Overwined posted:

This is what I'd really like to have. The first Driver still has some of the best car chases around, even though it looks like complete poo poo now.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

sethsez posted:

This is what I'd really like to have. The first Driver still has some of the best car chases around, even though it looks like complete poo poo now.

I remember the graphics being somewhat subpar even at release. However, it's the first game I can recall where the cars "felt" like they had actual suspension systems that affected steering in dramatic ways. Maybe it wasn't "right" but it was the first game that felt right to me.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Overwined posted:

I remember the graphics being somewhat subpar even at release. However, it's the first game I can recall where the cars "felt" like they had actual suspension systems that affected steering in dramatic ways. Maybe it wasn't "right" but it was the first game that felt right to me.
I can say I've never enjoyed any driving game's keyboard controlling more than I did Driver's.

And it had the best chases ever; GTA has never come even close in the intensity and fun of being chased. It went completely overboard ridiculous in the last mission though where the cops suddenly became Kamikaze pilots ramming you at sonic speeds.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
All this Driver talk is just reminding me how much fun Carmageddon 2 was. Anybody know if that available as a download anywhere?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I remember buying Driv3r for PC and either the cutscenes wouldn't play for me or the company had actually stripped all of them out. Either way it was not very immersive.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Weekend promo: 50% off all Tex Murphy games.

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits

Blodskur posted:

Weekend promo: 50% off all Tex Murphy games.

loving. Sweet. I've been waiting for this one.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Woot. I won their Might and Magic 6 contest (along with 8 other lucky dudes) and I get to pick out a free game now.

I've got, obviously, the M&M 1-6 edition, and I picked up Divine Divinity (waiting on the patch to continue playing). Not sure what else to hit though.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Constructor is now available for $5.99.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Blodskur posted:

Constructor is now available for $5.99.

Oh man, I wasted so many hours on the demo of that and Mob Rule. I really shouldn't get it, I have other games and a job :ohdear:

nofaves
Mar 26, 2005

Kublai Khan is my homeboy.

glug posted:

Woot. I won their Might and Magic 6 contest (along with 8 other lucky dudes) and I get to pick out a free game now.

I've got, obviously, the M&M 1-6 edition, and I picked up Divine Divinity (waiting on the patch to continue playing). Not sure what else to hit though.

Holy poo poo, another goon won--I'm undeadpool on that list; I took Earthworm Jim 1+2...totally worth it...

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Uru Complete Chronicles is now available for $9.99. It has Uru: Ages Beyond Myst, The Path of the Shell and To D'ni Expansion Packs.

ZebTM
Jul 7, 2009

Blodskur posted:

Uru Complete Chronicles is now available for $9.99. It has Uru: Ages Beyond Myst, The Path of the Shell and To D'ni Expansion Packs.

Hmm. Is this any good?

Webman
Jun 4, 2008
Lord of Magic and the expansion was a bust. Pretty lame.
I am enjoying getting back into Might and Magic 6. I play so infrequently, I think one game could last until I'm old enough to collect social security.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Blodskur posted:

I remember seeing this a while ago and being kind of interested but it looked so weird as part of the Myst franchise. What exactly are these like?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Weekend promo: 25% off Myst, Riven and The Manhole.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

ZebTM posted:

Hmm. Is this any good?

Uru is absolutely fantastic. It's a nice immersive world with lots of puzzles and fantastic visuals that will keep you quite entertained. It's probably about on par with Myst III for game length/puzzle difficulty, but you will certainly get your moneys worth out of it.

It's basically a fully updated RealMyst built from the ground up around the idea of 3D exploration. The story is that you are an explorer who feels compelled to search these ruins that transport you into the world of linking books and puzzles. It's not part of the Myst storyline, but you will learn a lot about the Myst characters in your journeys.

I quite enjoyed the game.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
A countdown timer is now on the front page telling us to "expect the unexcelled"

EDIT\/ Guess I'm too used to cliché lines, thanks.

OptimusShr fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 22, 2010

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Maybe I'm just severely dyslexic, but to me it seems to say "Expect the unexcelled" :v: . I wonder what they could possibly have that could (for me) top the Fallout games as far as excellence goes, while still being considered "old" (not that they've been too focused on that aspect with some of the titles)

AG3 fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 22, 2010

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Here's hoping it's Planescape: Torment.

Or a rerelease of the MechWarrior games to drive up the hype for the new one.

Or Thief.

Or any of the other Infinity Engine games.

Or Deus Ex.

Or *insert wild speculation about critically-acclaimed masterpiece here*.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I hope it's not Deus Ex since I already have that on Steam. Getting something I can't get anywhere else is why I like GoG so much.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Maybe EA is finally releasing all the titles it got when ate up Bullfrog, Origin, etc....

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Come on, Caesar 2. Plebes are needed!

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006
The background of the timer reminds me of the Jedi Knight box art, so who knows maybe they have struck a deal with Lucas Arts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
The foreground of the timer reminds me of Mac OS, so who knows maybe they have struck a deal with Apple to release Mac OS 9 :haw: