Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
Aiight newer versions, with and without vox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
Read through the thread a bit and picked up a bunch of good info. Now I just have to figure out what "package" would be best for my situation and goals. This is where you all can hopefully help! :)

Looking to spend around 400 dollars

I'm in Norway right now (and will be for l.5 years) and don't feel like getting raped price-wise and accumulating too much extra stuff. Whatever I get I'll have to carry with me when I (most likely) get on a train for 20+ hours to reach my new home. I've got plenty of family in the US to send stuff to me.

With that said, monitors are annoying. I know that they're important and even had a pair of KRK RP-8s when I was making some lovely house mixes. I just can't justify buying some lovely small rear end 100 dollar (ex: Alesis M1 Active 320USB) monitors and then have folks spend 50 dollars to send them to me. I'm assuming they are so lovely that they aren't worth it (correct me if I'm wrong), since you always get what you pay for.

If I bought from a cheaper nearby country and imported them in I'd be looking at 200+ for some garbage. O, and if I bought them here... just no. Anyway, how screwed am I going to be for not having monitors? I'm not trying to become the next biggest star on Beatport. I just want to get my feet wet. I'm guessing that I'll end up taking tracks and listening to them in as many combinations of speakers/headphones that I can find and then go from there.

Ok, now that I've gotten that out of the way: I'm looking to dabble in a bit of everything. Make some hip hop beats. Electro house tracks? Why not. Cheesy rear end trance? Sure. Instrumental Enya-level poo poo? Yes please. Basically, I jump all over the place and would like to have a set up that can hit most of this stuff with a combination of hardware and software. Assuming I develop the skills needed to achieve all this mess of course :/

I want to keep poo poo small to make sending and traveling with it easy. Portability is key I can slowly build a solid dream set-up once I get my poo poo straight and finally decide to put some roots down.

I've been looking into a combination that would consist of Novation's Remote SL 25 and Korg's PadKontrol. I figured that the remote SL is small, but has plenty of flexibility. The lovely pads won't matter, because when it's time for beats and bangin' on tables tomfoolery I'll have the Padkontrol. Comes out to 400. I feel like I'm pretty set, but I'm not sure, since I'm not sure if I can get by with less.

For example, I see this (mainly the nanoKEY and nanoKONTROL) and then of course it seems like the better option space-wise when combined with a PadKONTROL, but I'm not really sure if I'm missing anything, since at the end of the day I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. I'd save 120+ bucks, but I'd be willing to spend that if the remote SL was a better option.

Software wise I'm thinking of giving Ableton Live and Logic a chance. Live has the advatange of of letting me get my DJ on whenever I feel like it, so that will probably be around even if I prefer some other DAW for other things.

Soooo, any ideas? Which combo is better for what I want: Remote SL 25 + Korg PadKONTROL or the nanoKEY/KONTROL + PadKONTROL? Can you think of any better options. Sorry for the length, but I'm a long winded fool that likes to give too much info instead of not enough.

edit: Also, my laptop only has 2 usb ports and I don't really think a powered USB hub would work (correct me if I'm wrong), so the Remote SL + PadKontrol option also has the advantage (If I'm understanding things correctly) of me being able to hook up the PK to the Remote SL through MIDI. Thus saving a USB port. Small beans, but yeah, I'm open to other options.

moflika fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 8, 2010

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
What is the general consensus for using Fruity Loops to make music? I recently just sat down and started learning it because I wanted to make some drum and bass and what came out in the end didn't sound too bad in my opinion. Well, at least for someone with little to none musical background/knowledge save for listening to a lot of it.

But after playing with the program for a bit, I am starting to realize how helpful some peripherals would be to make the song more dynamic and less...2 dimensional. But anyway, I would love to hear some positive or negative feedback about what I've done so far. I have a feeling this thread will be an invaluable resource.

http://www.myspace.com/theskeptik

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Thoughts/comments/suggestions.

Don't know why but I really enjoy those key changes.

Apr 24, 2008

Steak posted:

What is the general consensus for using Fruity Loops to make music? I recently just sat down and started learning it because I wanted to make some drum and bass and what came out in the end didn't sound too bad in my opinion. Well, at least for someone with little to none musical background/knowledge save for listening to a lot of it.

But after playing with the program for a bit, I am starting to realize how helpful some peripherals would be to make the song more dynamic and less...2 dimensional. But anyway, I would love to hear some positive or negative feedback about what I've done so far. I have a feeling this thread will be an invaluable resource.

http://www.myspace.com/theskeptik

I've never heard anyone rag on fruity loops in a serious way my self.

and your stuff is great man, no lie.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

moflika posted:

:words:

Call Roland at Filter Musikk (Oslo) - 22 82 85 80

or

Svenna at Procom (Drammen, procom.no) - 32 20 83 30

Im in norway too (obviously) I guess you can add me on aim or whatever if you wanna hook up and talk shop. handle should be in my profile.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.

Weird BIAS posted:

This is really awesome. It sounds like the intro song to a fun Sega Genesis game, like Sonic or something.

Good stuff.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Steak posted:

What is the general consensus for using Fruity Loops to make music?
Here, at least, the consensus is typically "use whatever you're most comfortable with." If you like FL's workflow, use it. Try out demos for other DAWs like Live though.

You've got Spor in your Myspace friends, he uses FL Studio exclusively (or at least he did a few years ago).

Steak posted:

But after playing with the program for a bit, I am starting to realize how helpful some peripherals would be to make the song more dynamic and less...2 dimensional.
If you're talking about external input, FL's going to support it. From what I'm hearing you could definitely stand to upgrade the samples/instruments you're using, but that seems like the biggest problem beyond inexperience.

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug

FFT posted:

Here, at least, the consensus is typically "use whatever you're most comfortable with." If you like FL's workflow, use it. Try out demos for other DAWs like Live though.

You've got Spor in your Myspace friends, he uses FL Studio exclusively (or at least he did a few years ago).
If you're talking about external input, FL's going to support it. From what I'm hearing you could definitely stand to upgrade the samples/instruments you're using, but that seems like the biggest problem beyond inexperience.

Yeah, you pointed out what I figured would be pointed out :).I think inexperience goes hand in hand with my sample quality. The biggest obstacle I'm having is getting samples to sound how I want them to over just settling for ones that sound "close enough". That and using effects to make it sound more dynamic, but I think that will come as I learn the program more.

This thread is an awesome resource, I didn't know of any other drum programs other than FL but now I'll definitely be checking out Live and some others. And for some reason I'm really surprised(in a good way) Spor uses FL exclusively. I always figured everyone I listened to regularly just spun. Learn something new everyday.

6025 posted:

and your stuff is great man, no lie.
Thanks man, that really means a lot.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
click this and scroll down to 4.1. Q&A Sessions

Should give you some insight into the production techniques and routines from some of DnB's most familiar faces. Noisia and Teebee are good reads.

Wonder Bread
Apr 16, 2005

Have you ever danced with a crapatar in the pale moonlight?
Another stab at a more 'straight ahead' track-- an old friend did some guitar noodling, which I took loops out of and added beats, etc. I'd dig some feedback on this one:

Wonder Bread fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 10, 2010

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Weird BIAS posted:

What synths are you using in this track, really like it.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Steak posted:

And for some reason I'm really surprised(in a good way) Spor uses FL exclusively. I always figured everyone I listened to regularly just spun. Learn something new everyday.
I hung out with an ex-girlfriend of his a few years ago, at that point at least he was still using purely FL Studio. The biggest gripes people have about FL (that aren't based on "it's so cheap" and its derivatives) really come down to the samples and synthesizers it comes with. Once you've moved past that you can do just about whatever you want.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

No. 9 posted:

What synths are you using in this track, really like it.

Primarily the Sytrus VST (FM synthesis) from FL Studio for a majority of the sounds (distorted Bass, a eurogate, a couple of gated synths, an orchestral/string sound), FL Slayer (guitar synth) with a lowpass lfo, FL Keys with a pattern controlled lowpass and phaser, and the Triforce VST which does the melody. That and liberal use of sidechaining.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Im pretty sure Spor uses logic these days.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Wouldn't surprise me. I haven't kept up with his stuff at all, though.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .
new tuune:
http://soundcloud.com/stranger-song/jump-the-tracks

Tried to give it a really old-school jungle style bassline.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

If they ever make a machine that can create a picture based on what goes on inside someone's mind, mine will look roughly like the cover of Major Lazer's album

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
http://soundcloud.com/kevinrothi/cant-deny-the-funk

Just having fun, nothing serious.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Again, comments and suggestions always appreciated.

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug

Weird BIAS posted:

Again, comments and suggestions always appreciated.

I found myself nodding along so you're doing something right. I really liked the use of the groove.

Edit: I forgot to post what I came to post. I put up a new song on my myspace, "Minimum Reservation". I started fooling around with Sytrus a lot more as well as a liberal use of filters and about a week later that song came out the other end.

Steak fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 13, 2010

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Steak posted:

I found myself nodding along so you're doing something right. I really liked the use of the groove.

Edit: I forgot to post what I came to post. I put up a new song on my myspace, "Minimum Reservation". I started fooling around with Sytrus a lot more as well as a liberal use of filters and about a week later that song came out the other end.

That track of yours is sweet. Nice use of panning.

Jerky Beef Kong
Jul 1, 2007

Blinn posted:

Here's a sneaky peeky at the first Liquid track a friend and I are working on. His DJ experience and my fiddling about with knobs (no gay jokes) experience should combine to make something awesome.

Please finish this.

Jazz Cigarettes
Dec 7, 2005

I've got an issue with my midi controller. I'm using the M-Audio Axiom USB 25 key controller, the one in the OP, and when I link parameters to the top knobs, the parameters will only shift a negligible amount as I turn the knob in either direction, usually less than a "tick" on the plugin. I've tried messing around with some of the settings on the controller itself, to no avail. I'm using FL Studio 9, any insights?

As well, since I'm here and I've noticed a fair amount of you are also using FL, I was wondering how you personally go about sidechaining. I've only used the Fruity Limiter, but I feel like more often than not I'm not satisfied with the end result. Granted that is probably more due to my inexperience than anything else but I'm curious to hear how other FL users go about it.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

The method I used to use for sidechaining was throwing the peak controller on the kick with mute off, adjusting the base and volume until the peak output monitor was moving in a way I liked and then linking the volume of whatever track I wanted to duck to the peak of the controller. I really, really like the limiter method compared to this since you get more control of how fast or slow it comes back in. Just seems like I have more control with the limiter.

You need to play with the mapping formula in the link parameters menu to solve your problem.

rustyw
Nov 27, 2005
Okay, this has been bothering me forever:

The OP posted:

As soon as some pretentious kids from Paris discovered that you can apply compression to a sound triggered by the emergence of another sound, they stumbled upon probably one of the greatest production innovations of our time. Sidechain compression. Sounds quite complicated, right? It's really not.

If you're talking about the guys from Daft Punk "inventing" sidechaining, even sidechain compression, you're wrong. Sidechaining has been a known/used method a looong time before that.

rustyw fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 14, 2010

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
The greatest production innovation of our time is not that, exactly, but rather what I have here in my little link.

http://www.kvraudio.com/news.php?id=13466

Thats right, steinberg have made cubase 5 trial capable. Now you too can check out* the features of the worlds finest** audio/midi sequencer.

* You need an USB eLicenser
** Yes, its official.

ALSO

I got my Nocturn in the mail today and hooolyyyy poo poo its fun. Loaded up a 303 emu doohicky and sat down to gently caress around, 2 hours later and im still tweaking the SAME loving BASSLINE. Think im gonna re-launch acid house brb

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

rustyw posted:

If you're talking about the guys from Daft Punk "inventing" sidechaining, even sidechain compression, you're wrong. Sidechaining has been a known/used method a looong time before that.

I know french house music has a bigger history than Daft Punk so I didnt assume the OP specificly meant them.

I personally have no idea who "invented" sidechaining though or even the line between inventing a technique and popularising it.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

rustyw posted:

As a technique, well yeah, its just ducking. However I think the OP meant strictly sidechaining poo poo against a 4x4 kick. Cause yeah, ducking's been used for decades for simple poo poo like when a dj starts using the mic, it automatically lowers the volume of everything else. Not trying to say that he's necessarily correct, cause I don't know my history that well, but I think the OP was trying to say the use of sidechaining to this end specifically was new to Daft Punk (or at least that era etc).

May 3, 2009
Hello I have fruity loops studio 8 and my brother and I have been making some good loops.

The problem is we do not know how to make any songs or patterns longer then 45 seconds. It is very frustrating that something as simple as making a song is not simple to do in this program. We just want to make a full fledged song!

Please help?

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

There aren't any time limits in FL Studio so I don't know what you mean. What actually happens when you try to make something longer than 45 seconds?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

1830 posted:

Please help?

FL Studio is a pattern based sequencer.

You're supposed to create patterns - identify parts of the song that are very similar. Then, what you do is chain those patterns together to a complete song.

I'm guessing you try to make a really really really long pattern with a boatload of steps. Don't. If this way of working doesn't gel with you, get something different - Reason, Cubase, Ableton Live or whatever - anything called a "linear sequencer".

May 3, 2009

Yoozer posted:

FL Studio is a pattern based sequencer.

You're supposed to create patterns - identify parts of the song that are very similar. Then, what you do is chain those patterns together to a complete song.

I'm guessing you try to make a really really really long pattern with a boatload of steps. Don't. If this way of working doesn't gel with you, get something different - Reason, Cubase, Ableton Live or whatever - anything called a "linear sequencer".

I know I can make things into a song. I just do not know how to use this feature. I cannot afford another program. I want to work with what I got.

There the regular pattern and then extended pattern? (if that what it is called) and no idea how to make it work. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChYNNeURkMk
I tried to use this and for some reason it does not work. Either I am doing something wrong or the program is not same version as in the tutorial. Ideas?

Edit: I want to use my own patterns not the midi keyboard.

Re-edit: I tried to get him to describe what the problem was. All he did was shrug his shoulders and apathetic facial expression. I guess the better question is where are some good tutorials and a place that explains better what the terms mean in the manual. Man I hate being clueless.

1830 fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 17, 2010

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Try pressing L to switch to song mode? Just saying "it does not work" doesn't really explain what the problem is buddy :)

If you literally don't understand how the playlist works at all then you should probably just start by reading the manual.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

I got my Nocturn in the mail

I got mine for $50 and I love it. Automap is a treat

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

1830 posted:

I guess the better question is where are some good tutorials and a place that explains better what the terms mean in the manual. Man I hate being clueless.

http://www.musictechtutorials.com/category/fl-studio/

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...
OK So I've been digging around trying to find some good things to sample, trying to expand beyond what youd usually look for, this is built around a loop from a song in "A Goofy Movie" i chopped up. The music in it was actually surprisingly not bad.

http://www.tindeck.com/listen/wcug

Did this from start to finish with lovely earbuds so the bass may (will be) off. Apologies in advance.

edit: update

Oiled and Ready fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 18, 2010

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

So this is what I started working on today, which started purely as messing around with sidechaining since that was the subject of conversation for a bit here.

It's not done by far but drat it's fun

stringless fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 18, 2010

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
http://www.fabfilter.com/products/micro.php

New great little filter plugin from FabFilter. It's only $22. It's based on the Volcano plugin, same sounding filter, it's just much cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatsplosion
Oct 25, 2006

+3 Meat Elemental
In for one! Volcano is one of the best sounding plugin filters I've ever heard and it does waaaay more than I need it to do - $22 for a stripped down single-filter version will do quite nicely. :)

• Locked thread