Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007
Request from a friend:

This song was played on the muzak station at a Forever21 store. It is "a new song". It is uptempo, and sung by a female lyricist. It is "a fusion of modern dance music and old school disco". It has the lyric "disco" in it.

It's apparently not Shiny Toy Guns' "Le Disko".

Any ideas? If I can find it before she does I will be the awesomest friend ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kara Thrace
May 14, 2008

by Peatpot

Final Fart Buttball posted:

If you're serious it's Owl City's song "Fireflies" which is probably the single most overplayed piece of crap on the radio right now

Thank you! Yeah, I'm a fool for overplayed crap. The tune gets stuck in my head and I have to listen to it. :(

Bozz
Jan 26, 2002

Final Fart Buttball posted:

If you're serious it's Owl City's song "Fireflies" which is probably the single most overplayed piece of crap on the radio right now

Not that Krazy is the pinnacle of modern music art, but gently caress does that Owl City song make me want to punch face. I get a thousand hugs, from ten thousand lightning bugs! It sounds like a mentally retarded 11 year old going on about what his happy meds do to him. I want to fight Owl City.

quag dab peg
Jan 11, 2007
querny

HoldYourFire posted:

My first thought was "Eye for an Eye" by UNKLE, but then "Megalomaniac" by Incubus hit me. Try that.

Neither of those, but thanks. I think it's a newer song, sort of arcade fire/arctic monkeys. Definitely post queens of the stone age era. I'm sure I'll stumble across it again eventually.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Glass Joe posted:

Request from a friend:

This song was played on the muzak station at a Forever21 store. It is "a new song". It is uptempo, and sung by a female lyricist. It is "a fusion of modern dance music and old school disco". It has the lyric "disco" in it.

It's apparently not Shiny Toy Guns' "Le Disko".

Any ideas? If I can find it before she does I will be the awesomest friend ever.

Don Diablo - Disco Disco Disco?

Lady Gaga - Disco Heaven?

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.
I've heard this tune a million times before, but I can't seem to put my name on the title. Can anybody help me out?

http://tindeck.com/listen/tzll

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Caedar posted:

I've heard this tune a million times before, but I can't seem to put my name on the title. Can anybody help me out?

http://tindeck.com/listen/tzll

If this isn't a joke, it's "Heart and Soul", aka the song that everyone who has ever touched a piano once knows how to play and decides to do it whenever there's a piano around

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Neither of these. It's "along the lines of Lady GaGa", though. Whatever that means.

Myall
Jan 9, 2010

Been searching for this one for ages: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cWzWil_h8s

It says in the video description it's by "She". I looked on Last.fm and found the page (http://www.last.fm/music/she) but can't seem to find it! Very frustrating. Can anyone shed some light on it?

JesusQuintana
Nov 21, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump
This is a really, really well known song performed by I believe a really well known artist and I'm gonna kick myself when I know it, but I can't for the life of me figure it out.

It's a love song sang by a female, fairly old, say maybe 15-20 years.

Basically the chorus consists of a long "Whyyyyyyyyyyy-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ahhhhh" and then I'm pretty sure it's followed up with "did you tell me it's over?" or something similar. It's set to a really nice piano beat.

Please someone put me out of my misery.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Somebody tell me the name of the melody that plays when you hit a cat in City Connection. I know I've heard this in cartoons and elsewhere, and it's probably a ragtime standard, or something.

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

La vierge Marie vous regarde.

JesusQuintana posted:

This is a really, really well known song performed by I believe a really well known artist and I'm gonna kick myself when I know it, but I can't for the life of me figure it out.

It's a love song sang by a female, fairly old, say maybe 15-20 years.

Basically the chorus consists of a long "Whyyyyyyyyyyy-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ahhhhh" and then I'm pretty sure it's followed up with "did you tell me it's over?" or something similar. It's set to a really nice piano beat.

Obvious answer: "Why" by Annie Lennox.

JesusQuintana
Nov 21, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump
Obvious but CORRECT. Thanks so much.

Mad Mage Era
Nov 25, 2009
I'm at my wit's end with this song. It's the music for the US trailer of "Millenium Actress":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpGrD5wUzKE

It's the song in the first half of the trailer that I'm trying to identify. It's not on the soundtrack, but it is used on the DVD menu as well. I'm afraid it might have been made specifically for the trailer by one of those companies that pumps out music for just such a purpose.

Is there any hope of identifying this? :(

coolbian57
Sep 27, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
A while back someone on NMD posted about a really weird American musician (if I remember correctly, from Ohio). He plays a crazy mix of surf rock, metal, jazz, and even a little post rock. It was a solo project and I was given his Myspace link. I think one of his albums was title something like "How to Get hosed Up" or something along those lines. I would really appreciate it if I could get that link again, I can't remember it for the life of me.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

Somebody tell me the name of the melody that plays when you hit a cat in City Connection. I know I've heard this in cartoons and elsewhere, and it's probably a ragtime standard, or something.

wikipedia says http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Der_Flohwalzer on the city connection page so i guess you didn't try very hard to find it!

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

wikipedia says http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Der_Flohwalzer on the city connection page so i guess you didn't try very hard to find it!

I didn't—for some reason I just fully expected it wouldn't be in the Wikipedia article.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I have these lyrics written down, a quick search of google with some quotation marks turns up nothing. Anyone have an idea?

it takes a warlock to pimp a witch
it takes a dog to catch a bitch

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

Not sure if I'll have any luck but I can't recall the lyrics well enough to google search. I heard a song late night on a college radio station that sounded like heavy rock-n-roll blues, sort of like the Black Keys, but it sounded more old and "primal" and it didn't sound like their vocalist. The only words I can remember are along the lines of "got a chip on my shoulder" and then a second contrasting sentence (in the vein of "but I ain't gonna blah blah")? Over a chugging, cool blues riff. Thanks for any help.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
I heard a John Lennon song yesterday that sounded a lot like "Imagine" but it wasn't. Like he ripped himself off. Anyone?

Dan Quayle Treasure Trail
Dec 28, 2005

Could anyone help indentify the songs in this clip?

First, there's some kind of rock intro, I almost recognize it, but can't place it.

Second and third are some 60's songs

Fourth and last, there's some piano intro to a song, dunno which!

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Cannot Beelieve It posted:

0:43 is this, or at least very close: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNiYECUd2ZU

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

Cannot Beelieve It posted:

Could anyone help indentify the songs in this clip?

First, there's some kind of rock intro, I almost recognize it, but can't place it.

Fourth and last, there's some piano intro to a song, dunno which!
The last little piano snippet is Queen - Somebody to Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxbFLYa0_bw

E: The second one sounds a lot like The Locomotion, the original by Little Eva or whoever it was.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5OoQadZTPk for lack of a better version

Ivan Drago fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 14, 2010

Dec 28, 2005

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

0:43 is this, or at least very close: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNiYECUd2ZU

Ivan Drago posted:

The last little piano snippet is Queen - Somebody to Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxbFLYa0_bw

E: The second one sounds a lot like The Locomotion, the original by Little Eva or whoever it was.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5OoQadZTPk for lack of a better version

Hey! Thanks a million! :)

Mystery almost solved! (It's a friend loving with me ...)

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
First part is AC/DC Sin City.

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!
Okay, this is going to be one hell of a stretch, but I've had this song pop into my head for YEARS and I cannot get it out. I never listen to the radio, but I heard it on the air multiple times while in several stores in 2005-2006.

The station playing this was a local popular rock station called KROQ in Southern California.

I can hear it in my head, but don't know a way to convey the melody here. I remember a few of the words in the chorus, but I'm sure my memory is wrong because I've done lyric searches many times and came up with nothing.

The chorus started with something like "Waiting for the answer, waiting for the time" <--- "time" was stretched out over 4 notes.

The only word I am almost 100% certain is answer. And the very end of the song said something like: "Never. Ever... go hoome... hoome (fades out repeating)"

I know, this is crazy. The lead vocalist was male, but higher pitched. Sounded kind of like The White Stripes or Strokes, but with a lot of vibrato, especially while singing the word "answer".

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and will add years onto my life that I have already lost trying to figure this out.

EDIT: I found some crappy online keyboard, and recorded myself playing the chorus notes how I remember. Hopefully this helps: http://www.treytor.com/song.mp3

Dashes separating what I think the words are over each note:
"Wai-ting-for-the-an-swer. Wai-ting-for-the-ti-ii-ii-ime"

Treytor fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 15, 2010

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Treytor posted:

Okay, this is going to be one hell of a stretch, but I've had this song pop into my head for YEARS and I cannot get it out. I never listen to the radio, but I heard it on the air multiple times while in several stores in 2005-2006.

The station playing this was a local popular rock station called KROQ in Southern California.

I can hear it in my head, but don't know a way to convey the melody here. I remember a few of the words in the chorus, but I'm sure my memory is wrong because I've done lyric searches many times and came up with nothing.

The chorus started with something like "Waiting for the answer, waiting for the time" <--- "time" was stretched out over 4 notes.

The only word I am almost 100% certain is answer. And the very end of the song said something like: "Never. Ever... go hoome... hoome (fades out repeating)"

I know, this is crazy. The lead vocalist was male, but higher pitched. Sounded kind of like The White Stripes or Strokes, but with a lot of vibrato, especially while singing the word "answer".

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and will add years onto my life that I have already lost trying to figure this out.

Possibly The Killers - Sam's Town?

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Wow... that's a really good guess from my description, but not the song I am looking for. Thank you though!

The song I'm looking for has a slower tempo than that.

Any other ideas?

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic
I'd wager you're talking about The Mars Volta - The Widow

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Velocirocktor posted:

I'd wager you're talking about The Mars Volta - The Widow

THIS IS IT! Thank you so much! I was beginning to think I was making the whole thing up.

Treytor fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 15, 2010

Dec 28, 2005

Cavenagh posted:

First part is AC/DC Sin City.

Thanks a bunch!

I guess NMD made my day :)

Delicate Stranger
Nov 16, 2006
I have a request where I actually know the title of the song but can't for the life of me find it. I have no idea if it's on a proper release or if it's just floating around on a dozen hard-drives around the internet. (I've found people on Last.fm that have it--think they might be able to send it to me? Anybody ever try something like that on Last.fm?)

It's a track called "Mung Effusion" from the keyboardist from Marilyn Manson, stage name of Madonna Wayne Gacy (birth name Stephen Bier). It's an ambient track with some sort of primal drumming and, mixed very low, some crazy-hobo-sounding growling that really erupts for a few seconds during the track.

Years after losing it in a Windows installation disaster, I've built it up in my mind as being a very cool track. Hopefully it's at least a little neat, and I would love to hear it again.

nocarbon
Apr 6, 2002
This should be super simple. I hear it every day at the gym and I assume it's all over the pop charts.

What is the song that starts at the 2:42 mark?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gcv-bHzOVuY

In a side note, bearbot (the mash up artist linked) is awesome.

Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

A chump and a hoagie going buck wild

nocarbon posted:

This should be super simple. I hear it every day at the gym and I assume it's all over the pop charts.

What is the song that starts at the 2:42 mark?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gcv-bHzOVuY

MGMT - Kids

Bolkovr fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 16, 2010

trans fat
Jul 29, 2007

What is the ambient black metal song, I believe it's by a German band, that at one point features a solo piano with a really funky drum beat?

logiryan
Feb 20, 2004

The meatball's a rollin'
This one will be difficult:

On iO Digital Cable's Dance/Electronica Music Channel, there is a song where most of the lyrics end with '...for me'. I was half-asleep and didn't catch any other lyrics but it sounded really good.

I've been searching everywhere and trying to find playlists but can't.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert
All right first off this is for a friend, not me, and I didn't hear the song myself.

Song is by a male singer. He described it as "folky" and "sad" and it may have been released in the 90s and played on rock radio.

The chorus goes "na---na---na--na--na--na, na na na na", one of the verses starts with "in the" and the song may have some Christian themes.

And it's not A Long December by Counting Crows.

Edit: My friend is retarded and pretty much all of his information was wrong. It was "Horse with No Name" by America!

Arturo Ui fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 21, 2010

The Viper
Oct 4, 2009
Ok this one has been annoying me for ages:

The only lyric I know is 'Honey, I don't care', it's a woman singing and the chorus goes 'Honey I don't caaaaaaarrrreee'. It may have been released in the period 1995-2003, definitely no later but possibly earlier.

VirginiaDare
Dec 28, 2009

Radio du Cambodge posted:

Not sure if I'll have any luck but I can't recall the lyrics well enough to google search. I heard a song late night on a college radio station that sounded like heavy rock-n-roll blues, sort of like the Black Keys, but it sounded more old and "primal" and it didn't sound like their vocalist. The only words I can remember are along the lines of "got a chip on my shoulder" and then a second contrasting sentence (in the vein of "but I ain't gonna blah blah")? Over a chugging, cool blues riff. Thanks for any help.

The only song I can think of with that lyric and sound would be http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyVflW49t5U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

The Viper posted:

Ok this one has been annoying me for ages:

The only lyric I know is 'Honey, I don't care', it's a woman singing and the chorus goes 'Honey I don't caaaaaaarrrreee'. It may have been released in the period 1995-2003, definitely no later but possibly earlier.

First thing that comes to mind is Transvision Vamp and Baby, I Don't Care from 1989.