Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

mods rename me posted:

I'm trying to get like 3 Questions for customs also :(
I just don't think they've hit hard yet.

They are supposedly more common than the Gentleman Ghosts, they should be close to even with the other figures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Well DC up to $15 at my Walmart*.

Jace Madan
Apr 10, 2007

A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.

mods rename me posted:

Well DC up to $15 at my Walmart*.

Crap. I'm glad I just decided to collect the DCD "Justice" figures as my definitive versions of main DCU characters, and not bother with the Mattel ones. I would probably go crazy if I tried to collect the Mattel figures with their distribution problems, short-packing, variants, exclusive variants, ultra-exclusive-hidden-next-to-the-Holy-Grail variants, and other problems i've heard about them.

The only figure I would buy is the Creeper, but with my luck they would have a Ditko-era one and a modern version variant and both would be $100 a piece, and when I end up getting them the Ditko one is missing his teeth paint apps, and the modern one has 2 left thighs.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Jace Madan posted:

ultra-exclusive-hidden-next-to-the-Holy-Grail variants

LOL what qualifies as this?

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Jace Madan posted:

Crap. I'm glad I just decided to collect the DCD "Justice" figures as my definitive versions of main DCU characters, and not bother with the Mattel ones. I would probably go crazy if I tried to collect the Mattel figures with their distribution problems, short-packing, variants, exclusive variants, ultra-exclusive-hidden-next-to-the-Holy-Grail variants, and other problems i've heard about them.

The only figure I would buy is the Creeper, but with my luck they would have a Ditko-era one and a modern version variant and both would be $100 a piece, and when I end up getting them the Ditko one is missing his teeth paint apps, and the modern one has 2 left thighs.

Thats a lot of really descriptive hate about toys.

Also I've seen two Question figures at my wal-marts. I'll wander into them tomorrow and check if they still have them if anyone wants one.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Zeitgueist posted:

LOL what qualifies as this?

Yea there's nothing nearly as bad as the Toy Biz ML days.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Ive got a DCU Question for trade. I'm looking for DCU Joker, Manbat, WildCat, Black Adam.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

mods rename me posted:

Yea there's nothing nearly as bad as the Toy Biz ML days.

200X Masters of the Universe gives it a run for its money.

You could only find chase Fisto at every 10 Aldi stores.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Satsuki posted:

200X Masters of the Universe gives it a run for its money.

You could only find chase Fisto at every 10 Aldi stores.

Oh I remember those days. At least I got some cheap beef jerky while looking for stuff.
And fisto, I'll see what I can do.

Jace Madan
Apr 10, 2007

Yeah, I went a bit over the top with my rant there, but still I'm glad I don't collect 'em, the frustrations of the old Batman and MOTU lines were enough to turn me off from Mattel.

Also, is Hasbro done making any 6" scale Marvel figures? I saw the new 3 3/4" Spider-Man figures today and it looks like the new Iron Man 2 figures are that scale too. The only real new 6" sized ones I've seen lately are the TRU and Wal-Mart exlusive ones.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I think there is supposed to be another set of two packs this year, but otherwise ... yeah its over. They stopped commissioning 6" sculpts about 8 months ago and even then they weren't paying much.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Satsuki posted:

I think there is supposed to be another set of two packs this year, but otherwise ... yeah its over. They stopped commissioning 6" sculpts about 8 months ago and even then they weren't paying much.

Yea the fan's choice two-packs. If they sell, allegedly more will follow (and they have a handful of possible sculpts from the previous poll).

Jace Madan
Apr 10, 2007

mods rename me posted:

Yea the fan's choice two-packs. If they sell, allegedly more will follow (and they have a handful of possible sculpts from the previous poll).

Those are the ones that the MAX Terror Inc. was in right? I hope they make him. But that sucks concerning the scale issue. I Guess I still have Marvel Select, they seem to be getting around to making everything I want.

Also I found a pic of an 8" Iron Man from IM2, He looks like those 10" figures Wal-Mart had from Spider-Man 3 awhile back.

http://www.reelmovienews.com/gallery/iron-man-2-toy-package/ Looks like we will be seeing at least 4 new Armors in the film, MK. IV, V, VI and War Machine.

Jace Madan fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 14, 2010

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I have pretty much given up hope that Hasbro will do anything else with 6 inch stuff. They are all shot in the rear end with the awful 4 inch figures and from what I have heard they think the only reason why they aren't selling well and being accepted by the collector communities is because the 6 inch product is still out there.

If you notice in ever Q&A they are at least 50% 6 inch scale questions and they always deflect them with a non-answer. The current company line with it is to be non committal with any sort of 6 inch information at all, soon to be replaced with a "We know you like the 6 inch product but it can not sell in the numbers we expect.", followed with a pitch for the 4 inch junk.

From what I have gathered the contest winners are now going to be convention exclusives, with a limited amount for sale on hasbrotoyshop.com. I think the 2 pack idea might be scraped for them with them being in a 3 pack, like Ka-Zar was. They are going to be the last 6 inch product made by Hasbro with all future Marvel figures in the MU 4 inch scale.

The retailers are not that pleased with the sales from the MU stuff and Hasbro had a BAD summer with the GI Joe movie stuff tanking bad, along with the Transformers 2 toys not selling nearly as well as the first movie did. Wal-Mart took a huge hit with that stuff, coupled with the Indy4 stuff they are planning on ordering less of all Hasbro product across the board. This is a big reason why the IM2 stuff is not nearly as vast as the stuff for the first movie was, and will be in shorter supply. If there is anything you see that you might want, get a pre-order for it since I am betting you won't see stuff at retail for very long.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Jace Madan posted:

Those are the ones that the MAX Terror Inc. was in right? I hope they make him. But that sucks concerning the scale issue. I Guess I still have Marvel Select, they seem to be getting around to making everything I want.

Also I found a pic of an 8" Iron Man from IM2, He looks like those 10" figures Wal-Mart had from Spider-Man 3 awhile back.

http://www.reelmovienews.com/gallery/iron-man-2-toy-package/ Looks like we will be seeing at least 4 new Armors in the film, MK. IV, V, VI and War Machine.

I was referring to the stuff at SDCC.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Apparently they are releasing a few 6" things for the film. Someone in Hong Kong was selling Titanium Man and Crimson Dynamo on ebay a few months ago.

http://www.actionfigurepics.com/2009/12/marvel-legends-crimson-dynamo-and-titanium-man-test-shots-on-ebay

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I think another reason the 4" Marvel figures aren't selling is because they are like $15 at Wal-Mart. That's ridiculous for something so small.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Fish Of Doom posted:

Apparently they are releasing a few 6" things for the film. Someone in Hong Kong was selling Titanium Man and Crimson Dynamo on ebay a few months ago.

http://www.actionfigurepics.com/2009/12/marvel-legends-crimson-dynamo-and-titanium-man-test-shots-on-ebay

Well those were going to be shown at SDCC but were pulled at the last minute. According to Hasbro they couldn't get anyone interested in buying them. I heard that they were going to be a part of yet another IM1 refresher case which all the retailers are still swimming in IM1 toys so no one wanted to order them.

I doubt you will ever see them actually produced, so those prototypes are all you will ever see.

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I think another reason the 4" Marvel figures aren't selling is because they are like $15 at Wal-Mart. That's ridiculous for something so small.

Yes, the price of that stuff is a huge part why retailers are not interested. No figure product moves at that price point. There was a report on that stuff that was done by Wal-Mart over the last year on various toys and prices. The document was confidential so I can't go in specifics, but they have a "sweet spot" for all action figures that they want everyone to come in at. This is another reason why they are not ordering a lot of Hasbro product across the board since they are not anywhere near that price.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Both GI Joe and SW dropped in price over Christmastime. Marvel Universe? Nope.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Jace Madan posted:

Those are the ones that the MAX Terror Inc. was in right?

:aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa:

I will buy the everloving poo poo out of this if they make it. Then I will send them love letters every day until the day I die.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Speaking of which, is there any links to places to buy new figures, hopefully at good prices and easy to sort and showing new/rare stuff that you wouldn't see at Target/K-Mart and the like? I can't anything I really like and would like to just stumble on cool figures instead of having to actively search them out or wade past tons of lovely grocery store quality figures at amazon or whatever.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Well rare stuff is going to be either a little higher than retail than most places or sold out. The only place I ever ordered from was entertainmentearth.com and for the love of Gord, avoid Toy Wiz.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

It kind of depends on what you're looking for. The more general the store, the higher their prices generally will be. Toywiz, Toy Rocket, Amazon Marketplace, and most of the time Big Bad Toy Store are best to avoid unless you want severe mark ups. Most things on those sites can be found on ebay for cheaper. Find more niche stores. Scifigenre.com is good for superhero and sci-fi figures, having free shipping on orders over $75, and is generally priced fair plus have a huge clearance section. Corner Store Comics is another one that's been recommended to me. Usually the smaller or more specialty shops will have better deals.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 15, 2010

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I don't mean rare as in valuable, but just a place to get non standard figures. I go to Toys R Us and Target and K-Mart and just see the same dumb toys over and over, playschool spider-man and the like. I just would like a place to get new figures when they come out, at hopefully not reseller prices. I'm not sure where to look. I wish Amazon had a site for toys.

I'll check out entertainmentearth.com and scifigenre.com too, thanks for those!

liquidswordz
Mar 21, 2003

Sanschel posted:

I will buy the everloving poo poo out of this if they make it. Then I will send them love letters every day until the day I die.

They're not making it, but I sure as gently caress voted for it during the polling. The recipe is pretty simple, but the parts are hard to get.

I am also in basically the same boat as AxeManiac. I love Marvel Legends to death, but none of the other major lines interest me right now. I'm looking for a quality 6" toyline, but there's just nothing out there right now.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I've used CornerStoreComics a number of times to get newer stuff. They update quickly, but usually restock their inventory half-a-dozen times before the next wave of something comes out (going by DC Superheroes here). You won't find much older stuff, but if you preorder things, you'll definitely be happy to have done so.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!
I've been pillaging bigbadtoystore of their minimates and assorted other clearance stuff. less than a dollar per minimate seems like a good deal to me.

Jace Madan
Apr 10, 2007

Sanschel posted:

You and me both man. I would kill for a Marvel Select Classic Terror with the facial spikes, hat and trenchcoat.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!
16 bucks for a DC universe figure at walmart now. I think I'll be done with those for a bit unless they start clearancing them. Inflation can't be that bad.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.
Is this a new year thing? Cause that means barely any difference between Walmart and specialty shops now. What about Target?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Action Man posted:

Is this a new year thing? Cause that means barely any difference between Walmart and specialty shops now. What about Target?

I be direct market prices will now go up as well.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Bushifox posted:

16 bucks for a DC universe figure at walmart now. I think I'll be done with those for a bit unless they start clearancing them. Inflation can't be that bad.

That's just horrible, I've been trying to get one of the Avatar 3/4th figures of the bad rear end marine dude and I found a bunch of them at a Ralph's Grocery Store one week for 50% off, making them 4.49 and got a few, then came back next week for groceries and found them marked down even more to 2.29 and got a bunch more and now I have the whole set but him and the cheapest I've seen him is 8.99 at Target, 12.99 online at Amazon.

The retail on them is 12.99, which is insane for little GI Joe sized figures. Now I need to find some affordable Aliens toys to have them fighting the Avatar people in my diorama!!!

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Rhyno posted:

The MSRP went up starting with wave 12 because they're including "collector pins" for DC's 75th anniversary. So basically you're paying an extra $2-3 for a plastic pin. I assume Wal-mart's just getting ahead of the curve. No doubt Target and TRU will be $15 in the next few months.

I'm fine with it because there's no one in wave 12 I want, and only Negative Man in wave 13. Unfortunately, I don't think the line can survive, at least at mass retail, with prices like that. Marvel Legends couldn't.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Yeah, at that price I expect more DC Direct level figures, and even then...

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

AxeManiac posted:

That's just horrible, I've been trying to get one of the Avatar 3/4th figures of the bad rear end marine dude and I found a bunch of them at a Ralph's Grocery Store one week for 50% off, making them 4.49 and got a few, then came back next week for groceries and found them marked down even more to 2.29 and got a bunch more and now I have the whole set but him and the cheapest I've seen him is 8.99 at Target, 12.99 online at Amazon.

The retail on them is 12.99, which is insane for little GI Joe sized figures. Now I need to find some affordable Aliens toys to have them fighting the Avatar people in my diorama!!!
Huh, I never thought to check a grocery store for Avatar stuff - I've only ever seen them at Target, Wal-Mart, and Toys R Us. I've got no idea where you live (or where a Ralph's Grocery Store is), though.

As for affordable Aliens toys, you might be able to find some cheap Kenner stuff from '92 on eBay. I'm a huge fan of the Scorpion Alien because it looks just like the ones from 'Aliens' and it loving explodes.
:monocle:

Click here for the full 1131x1489 image.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Rhyno posted:

gently caress, my local shop did go up price wise. loving pins.

Ogmios
Dec 2, 2004

Angry pumpkin, Japanese demon, dragon of avarice...
I really don't think the price increase is to blame on the pins. Mattel is charging what they have to in order to make this line profitable enough for them to continue making it. I can't wait for wave 12 and I think $15 is justified for the quality. DC Direct has some nice sculpts, but can't compare to DCUC in my book. I love this line to death and can't wait for them to keep getting them out. I really hope the $15 price point won't hurt sales too much.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Ogmios posted:

I really don't think the price increase is to blame on the pins. Mattel is charging what they have to in order to make this line profitable enough for them to continue making it. I can't wait for wave 12 and I think $15 is justified for the quality. DC Direct has some nice sculpts, but can't compare to DCUC in my book. I love this line to death and can't wait for them to keep getting them out. I really hope the $15 price point won't hurt sales too much.

It will hurt sales really badly. Deluxe Class Transformers, which to be honest are a MUCH better value for money, can't move at a 15 dollar price point. 15 dollars for a single toy with limited playability just won't move in today's marketplace. Think about what a kid could get instead for that 15 dollars; 2 of various other figures, the aforementioned Transformer, 15 Hot Wheels cars, a Nerf gun and ammo, a video game, DVD movie, etc.

DCUC is a collector orientated line but lets face it most of us are incredibly cheap and fickle when it comes to buying stuff. If we are going to spend a extra amount on a figure we are going to pre-order and make sure we get it. No one in their right mind is going to pay 15 dollars a figure when they know they can order it directly from Mattel for about the same price or wait for it to get clearanced. OR you know not in enough numbers to make up for it.

Also, does anyone else find it funny that somehow Hot Wheels and Matchbox can seem to be able to make cars for the same price for almost 2 decades now without raising the price? I would imagine metal would be much more expensive than plastic too.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

I'm cool with the 15 dollar price point, but it will limit me from buying more than just the 1 or 2 figures in the wave I want. The Collect and Connect figures aren't worth that cost to me anymore. Not even for like, Darkseid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

DCU has a total of like 5 base bodies they have made almost 200 figures from, raising to $15 is not keeping the line profitable, its increasing their profits because they know there is a collector demand. Mattycollector was just a test to see how much "collectors" are willing to spend.