Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Wrigley
Jun 8, 2006

King O Frod

abagofcheetos posted:

Besides, even though CGMFX underperformed the last two years it still ended the decade providing over 200% greater returns than VIGRX (and there was a time when it was near 500%).

Don't you see the inherent problem with this? When it was providing these great returns, nobody knew about it, only after an actively managed fund provides these big returns do people start jumping on the bandwagon...and that's when they could stop providing the big returns.

Do you think a decade ago, Cramer was on TV screaming to get in on CGMFX? Only after the fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

80k posted:

At the end of 2007, a certain individual on this forum challenged me with a bunch of managed funds that he expected to continue to outperform its category.
Oh my goodness, I had wondered where the hell he had gone after bragging so much about outperforming the market.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

80k posted:

Also... one thing to watch out for, regarding FAIRX, is asset base. It is not the same fund as it was earlier in the decade. Probably still a very good fund but asset bloat could become a problem.
Yeah, it really does seem to be getting too big, and a few of his positions he literally cannot buy any more of the stock even if he wants to (and I know he does for a few of them). I'm also curious if his new income fund will divert attention from FAIRX.

Don Wrigley posted:

Don't you see the inherent problem with this? When it was providing these great returns, nobody knew about it, only after an actively managed fund provides these big returns do people start jumping on the bandwagon...and that's when they could stop providing the big returns.

Do you think a decade ago, Cramer was on TV screaming to get in on CGMFX? Only after the fact.
Ok I agree with all of this but how does any of it make CGMFX any less of a fund? Chasing performance is always a losing venture but I'm not advocating that.

Don Wrigley
Jun 8, 2006

King O Frod

abagofcheetos posted:

Ok I agree with all of this but how does any of it make CGMFX any less of a fund? Chasing performance is always a losing venture but I'm not advocating that.

To me it doesn't make it any more or less of a fund. Think about it this way, though I don't 100% agree with this assessment.

If there are 10,000 large-cap blend mutual funds, they will on average match the fund minus expense fees on any given year. Of course there will be deviation from this mean, they won't all perform exactly the same, some better some worse. What if one performs better for 2 years in a row? 5 years? 10 years? Take it another way...what if you're flipping a coin, and one of 10,000 people flipping a coin. What if you flipped 2 heads in a row? 5 heads? 10 heads?

The point is, the one that outperforms over a 10-year stretch is going to be the one you hear about, but at the beginning there was no way of knowing about it.

This chalks up a lot to luck--and as 80k said before, deploying certain strategies could make a fund outperform for a reason. But whether by luck or skill, past performance is no indicator for future success and since it's already over and done with, is really not even worth taking into account.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

abagofcheetos posted:

It doesn't. I am not picking on the fund... I have never read a CGM shareholder report nor intend to.

When someone comes in bragging that he can pick winning active funds, and ALL of them subsequently underperforms for a period of time, it says something about investor overconfidence, moreso than it says anything about the funds in question.

duke is a decent guy, and I bet he got out of those funds since I believe he split with his broker. Good thing too, since his broker was a piece of work. His broker was all "lol treasuries" against me in 2007. Well, 2008 turned out to be a flight to quality of epic proportions... the most dramatic we've seen in several generations. Vindication doesn't get any better than that.

I should add that Duke specifically wanted to come back after a couple years to revisit the performance of those managed funds. I'm not bringing this up just to be an rear end (though that is admittedly part of the reason).

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Not to really derail this thread much more because it is a really great resource,

Don Wrigley: I hear what you are saying, I know that it's remarkable performance is the only reason people know about CGMFX, and that performance chasing probably burned a lot of people on it. The past ten years could have very well been an amazing string of luck by Heebner, or it could be that his hunches and ideas on trading are simply that good; there is no way of truly knowing. But I feel given how he does things and his past efforts, that there is the potential for him to have good years again down the road. Will he? I have no idea.

80k: Yeah duke was kind of annoying, he really did think he had it all figured out. I'd rub it in his face if I were you too.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

80k posted:

At the end of 2007, a certain individual on this forum challenged me with a bunch of managed funds that he expected to continue to outperform its category.

This is not intended to rub anything in anyone's face. Duke is a nice guy and it was a civil challenge. But this just goes to show that it is not easy to pick winning managed funds. Only easy when looking in the rear view mirror.

You guys still on each other?

Ravarek
Apr 25, 2004

Solid gold dipes:
E'ry day I'm hustlin'.
Anyone have any personal recommendations for a broad-based commodity ETF?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
This is probably basic but the wikipedia article didn't seem to say...

If I have a 403(b) plan through say, Vaguard, would I get to pick how the money was invested? Or do I have to just pick a standard plan? (Just read 4 Pillars of Investing, working on Random Walk Down Wall Street, and both have left me very distrustful of any sort of managed fund - I'd much rather have a bunch of index funds from various markets (US, emerging, far east, etc)

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Your 403b is through your employer. My employer lets me pick from a wide range of funds, some of which are at Vanguard. Normally you can use any of all of the funds your employer makes available, but not any others. Pretty much the same as a 401k.

Also, these guys: http://www.403bwise.com/

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Evil SpongeBob posted:

You guys still on each other?
ESB, where have you been! I was just rereading your personal finance thread in the archives to help with a new beginners thread. There were some crazy fights over passive/active investing in there.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Ravarek posted:

DBC. Just make sure it is in a tax sheltered account.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Ravarek posted:

I've used PCRDX for a few years, though DBC does have a better ER. PCRDX is a TIPS-collateralized fund, and DBC is probably a better pure play. I'm not really much of an expert on commodity funds, though.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Unormal posted:

I've used PCRDX for a few years, though DBC does have a better ER. PCRDX is a TIPS-collateralized fund, and DBC is probably a better pure play. I'm not really much of an expert on commodity funds, though.

From what I gathered, Pimco's collateral strategy is a fully actively managed bond strategy that tends to favor TIPS (but cannot really be considered a TIPS-collateral version of a DJ-AIG commodity fund). So you will get some corporate, foreign, emerging market bond exposure, in both nominal and inflation linked versions.

That said, I like it and currently own PCRIX (institutional version).

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

moana posted:

ESB, where have you been! I was just rereading your personal finance thread in the archives to help with a new beginners thread. There were some crazy fights over passive/active investing in there.

Lurking in the shadows for quite some time.

(And I had two megathreads in there... :smugbert: )

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Evil SpongeBob posted:

(And I had two megathreads in there... :smugbert: )
Well, aren't you SPECIAL :3: You and 80k are the reason I opened up a Roth and started investing for retirement, so I owe you a great deal of thanks (and also some thousands of dollars of interest when I retire).

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

moana posted:

Well, aren't you SPECIAL :3: You and 80k are the reason I opened up a Roth and started investing for retirement, so I owe you a great deal of thanks (and also some thousands of dollars of interest when I retire).

I tell you what. Make it part of the subforum rules that 80k & I can troll anyone, anytime and I'll consider it even.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Not fair: 80k has too kind of a heart, I don't think he could troll BFC if someone put a gun to his head. Here's my offer:

- Avatar changes for you two until I retire
- You can troll me anytime you want :wink:
- Come visit San Diego and I'll buy you drinks until you start talking about investing in gold bars

Chernori
Jan 3, 2010
I'm a 24 year old Canadian earning about 33k after tax at a reliable job. I have very low expenses and no dependents. I've been saving 80%+ of my paycheque for the past year, so I have about 35k that needs to be properly invested. Two-thirds of that is sitting in a Canadian Bond Index and the other third is idling in my chequeing and brokerage account.

I currently bank with TD and I'd prefer to use their TD e-funds to keep as much in one place as possible. They're a collection of index funds with relatively low (for Canada) MERs of 0.31% to 0.5%. They conveniently have no trading commissions, as long you leave your money there for 90 days.

https://www.tdassetmanagement.com/Content/Products/MutualFunds/Funds/p_FundTable.asp?PID=10&SI=4

I was hoping to see what you all think I should do from here. I've obviously been a big scaredy cat for the past year and I've been feeling really hesitant to commit to a course of action. Is going with the efunds a bad idea (as opposed to ETFs through a discount brokerage)? Should I go for the currency neutral funds? Would it make the most sense to just carve the money up into 25% bonds, 25% Canadian, 25% US, 25% International?

This money is for retirement, so I have a 40+ year time horizon. On one hand, it makes me feel like I should just do it and carve it up. On the other, I feel like it might be unwise to go heavily into stock after such a strong rally, you know?

market timing! :argh:

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My father in law opened up a Roth IRA for my wife at American Funds, and put some starter money into it. My wife wants to contribute to this account to make her dad happy, but I was trying to tell her that even though I think she has some decent funds, the expense ratios aren't worth it.

So how do I prove this to her? My main question is if I add the two funds to, say, Yahoo Finance, and do a comparison, do those gains take into account the expense ratios? What about the front-load fee? If not, is there any way to do that?

The specific funds she has are:

AGTHX
ABALX
AMRMX
AIVSX

Thanks!

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/retirement/mutual-funds-fees-calculator.aspx

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Strict 9 posted:

So how do I prove this to her? My main question is if I add the two funds to, say, Yahoo Finance, and do a comparison, do those gains take into account the expense ratios? What about the front-load fee? If not, is there any way to do that?

Expense ratio, yes.
Front load fee, no.
Distributions (dividends and capital gains), no.

Better to use Morningstar to compare performances (as distributions are included). Though you still have to adjust for the front load.

The Load is the problem as the ER's are generally reasonable.

If your father-in-law is opinionated on investing, it will be tough to convince him that indexing is superior. American Funds have a loyal following. They are a well run organization and the funds have generally had consistent outperformance. Are you willing to bet 5.75% of your money that they will continue to outperform? That is the question.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Also, if you hold the fund for a significant period of time (which I would assume she will be doing since it is an IRA) that 5.75% has less and less of an impact on the total ER you have paid them.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Thanks for all the info. It looks as though if she has to be in a fund, those ones aren't too bad, and maybe not worth getting into a discussion about with my father-in-law.

EDIT: Just one more follow up question. If I make a portfolio on Yahoo finance with a deposit of $1000 in a few funds, subtracting any front-loaded fees, it still won't be accurate because of the varying dividends of each fund. Is that correct?

Strict 9 fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 19, 2010

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

abagofcheetos posted:

Also, if you hold the fund for a significant period of time (which I would assume she will be doing since it is an IRA) that 5.75% has less and less of an impact on the total ER you have paid them.

That is one way to look at it. Another way to look at it is the longer you hold it, the more that 5.75% amount you paid has compounded. It is a substantial amount of money thrown away that provides you no benefit.

Strict 9 posted:

EDIT: Just one more follow up question. If I make a portfolio on Yahoo finance with a deposit of $1000 in a few funds, subtracting any front-loaded fees, it still won't be accurate because of the varying dividends of each fund. Is that correct?

Correct. Capital gains distributions vary widely between funds, so those will be an even larger source of discrepancy than dividends.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

80k posted:

That is one way to look at it. Another way to look at it is the longer you hold it, the more that 5.75% amount you paid has compounded. It is a substantial amount of money thrown away that provides you no benefit.
No doubt, I'm not really a big fan of American Funds for that reason, but someone could certainly do worse.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

moana posted:

Not fair: 80k has too kind of a heart, I don't think he could troll BFC if someone put a gun to his head. Here's my offer:

- Avatar changes for you two until I retire
- You can troll me anytime you want :wink:
- Come visit San Diego and I'll buy you drinks until you start talking about investing in gold bars

Deal.

Forewarned, I'll destroy a Hash House meal.....

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Hey guy, I was wondering if you could give me your (more expert than mine) opinion on what I should do long term with my money. Most books on investment that I read suggest matching your employer's 401k contribution, maxing out the IRA (two of them apparently?) and then maybe invest in a couple of other means that you can defer taxation on.

The issue with that is mostly that it prevents you from pulling any of that sweet cash out until you're 60, which is not cool.
The second issue is that not being a US citizen or resident, I have no idea how long I'll be in country, meaning that investing a fat chunk of my salary into retirement only to leave the country later doesn't seem like a great decision.

What do you think would work for my situation? I think I can definitely contribute to the 401k, since in the worst case scenario where I have to pull money out, I will not lose anything due to the company's contributions.
What else should I stick my money into so it's not just rotting in my savings account at an amazing 0.50% rate? Should I invest in something like an index fund just so that my money is growing (or at least not dying to inflation), despite the taxation?

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

DreadCthulhu posted:

What do you think would work for my situation? I think I can definitely contribute to the 401k, since in the worst case scenario where I have to pull money out, I will not lose anything due to the company's contributions.

Careful. Check your 401k plan policy on company matching. Many companies have a vesting schedule, requiring you to be at the company for a number of years before the company matching is fully vested.

Other than that, I have no idea what you should do as a non-Citizen/Resident. My hunch is you should open a brokerage account and invest in a regular taxable account using tax efficient vehicles (index funds or ETF's). The US still has the lowest cost investment options so even if you leave, it is nice to have a US based brokerage account for longterm investing purposes. If/when you leave, you may find the tax treaty between your home country and the US to have favorable tax treatment (no capital gains tax, and flat rate tax on dividends). And you would not need to worry about restrictions involved with retirement accounts (401k or IRA's)... your money is just an international wire away.

Happydayz
Jan 6, 2001

I just found out that my income for the 2010 tax year is going to increase by around 250% due to the need to work considerable overtime.

I'm working through the tax consequences of this and trying to mitigate some of the ill effects.

The two steps that I've identified are to max out my 401(k) contribution for the year and considering putting my IRA contribution into a regular IRA vs Roth IRA. Still undecided on this because I'm worried about long term income tax rates.

Are there any other tax mitigation strategies that I can easily employ for someone who normally takes the standard deduction?

Jul 3, 2004

careful!
if you are not on a good group health plan, consider switching to an HSA eligible health care plan and contribute to an HSA. If you have any losses (from stocks) in your taxable account, tax loss harvest it. Contribute to Traditional IRA, and then convert to Roth in a future year when/if your income goes down.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
Just as an anecdote I got started in AmerFunds in a similar way (gift from my father), and I've been very happy with them. Of course depends on your style and such but I really like the exposure and purchasing power of their target date funds vs. a lot of the competitors target date funds. I also dabble in some of the C funds (NEWCX for example) to increase specific exposure without a front load cost, though the C fund expenses are high to very high. That's one area I'll be looking at closely when I do my rebalance in the next few weeks, but I don't have the cash yet to make a move away from my "exposure" AmerFund C funds to Vanguard due to minimums, which are much lower with AmerFunds ($500 in many cases).

mcsuede fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 25, 2010

Dave The Ripper
Apr 25, 2005
I drive a Dodge

80k posted:

Contribute to Traditional IRA, and then convert to Roth in a future year when/if your income goes down.

Any reason why you would convert the Traditional to a Roth? If you're just starting investing does it makes more sense to do a Roth or a Traditional if you qualify.

T0MSERV0
Jul 24, 2007

You shouldn't expect to defeat him, he is designed to be a war machine.

Dave The Ripper posted:

Any reason why you would convert the Traditional to a Roth? If you're just starting investing does it makes more sense to do a Roth or a Traditional if you qualify.

In this particular instance it made sense to do a Traditional IRA because Happydayz was going to be making a large amount of money this year and would be facing the tax implications of that. Traditional IRAs are pretax, so he could contribute to the traditional one this year when his taxes were high, and then roll it into a Roth next year when the tax implications wouldn't be as great, since his income would have presumably returned to normal levels.

As a general proposition, if you can contribute to a Roth, you should. Most people aren't able to predict their tax situations as cleanly as Happydayz, but in general taxes are at historical lows and will likely go up, so it's better to pay the (low) taxes today then to defer them until they're higher in the future.

EchoBase
Dec 11, 2001

Chernori posted:

I'm a 24 year old Canadian earning about 33k after tax at a reliable job. I have very low expenses and no dependents. I've been saving 80%+ of my paycheque for the past year, so I have about 35k that needs to be properly invested. Two-thirds of that is sitting in a Canadian Bond Index and the other third is idling in my chequeing and brokerage account.

I currently bank with TD and I'd prefer to use their TD e-funds to keep as much in one place as possible. They're a collection of index funds with relatively low (for Canada) MERs of 0.31% to 0.5%. They conveniently have no trading commissions, as long you leave your money there for 90 days.

https://www.tdassetmanagement.com/Content/Products/MutualFunds/Funds/p_FundTable.asp?PID=10&SI=4

I was hoping to see what you all think I should do from here. I've obviously been a big scaredy cat for the past year and I've been feeling really hesitant to commit to a course of action. Is going with the efunds a bad idea (as opposed to ETFs through a discount brokerage)? Should I go for the currency neutral funds? Would it make the most sense to just carve the money up into 25% bonds, 25% Canadian, 25% US, 25% International?

This money is for retirement, so I have a 40+ year time horizon. On one hand, it makes me feel like I should just do it and carve it up. On the other, I feel like it might be unwise to go heavily into stock after such a strong rally, you know?

market timing! :argh:

I asked a few similar questions recently, you might find my posts and some of the local experts replies useful. I won't give you advice on the specific asset splits because I'm no expert, but I basically did what you're doing: I went with TD due to their e-series funds (I'm doing monthly payments into my RRSP, so mutual funds are a necessity due to no fees as you mentioned).

The time to move to ETFs basically depends on the brokerage fee and difference in the MERs. You want the MER savings to balance out the brokerage fee within a year or two (the payback time is up to you, but you're not gaining from owning an ETF vs mutual fund until after the upfront fees of the ETF have been paid back). So for TDs $29 brokerage fee and an example MER difference of 0.55% - 0.09% (TD US index fund and SPDR S&P500 ETF), the money you need to invest in order to pay back the $29 in one year is 29/0.46% or approximatly $6300.

So, ETFs are only a good idea when you have a decent amount of money to invest in each time you buy. The exception may be if you really want to get into a segment of the market that just isn't available through Canadian mutual funds.

The currency thing is a personal choice, I don't know what the thinking is on long term currency moves. I chose to ignore it for now, I understand that as I get closer to retirement, I may need to move more investments into Canadian currency so I don't get screwed by a jump in exchange rates, the same as I'll have to move more towards fixed income investments. For now I'm just looking at the parity US dollar as a bargain for buying US investments.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

80k posted:

DBC. Just make sure it is in a tax sheltered account.

I'm curious about this, mostly as a broader question. From what I gather DBC holds dollar denominated futures. This is also usually true for foreign stock funds, etc. Does this create exposure to domestic inflation (mostly with foreign assets, but also assets that aren't tied to the USD such as commodities)? Does it make sense to hedge this somehow (say, DBV, or UDN)?

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 26, 2010

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Well, I'm a moron. I contributed $5,000 into my Roth IRA and sold off my target retirement fund for some other funds. I did my allocations by dollars instead of percentages. So now $13.00 of my $20,000 Roth IRA is in VFIFX, which I can't sell for 3 months.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I'm curious about this, mostly as a broader question. From what I gather DBC holds dollar denominated futures. This is also usually true for foreign stock funds, etc. Does this create exposure to domestic inflation (mostly with foreign assets, but also assets that aren't tied to the USD such as commodities)? Does it make sense to hedge this somehow (say, DBV, or UDN)?

Well, DBV is a carry trade strategy ETF, so it is not hedging anything.

Dollar denominated does not mean dollar hedged. You are exposed to foreign currencies in the case of foreign stocks, unless you buy a hedged foreign stock fund which is rare. A hedged foreign stock fund combined with UDN would be a costly way to achieve the same thing as an unhedged foreign stock fund (which is the norm). Commodities have direct dollar exposure only in the form of the collateral. But that is only to offset the inherently leveraged nature of a futures position (matching a dollar denominated obligation with dollar denominated assets). Think of it as a fruit salad recipe for an unleveraged long position in commodities. If you add a dollar bearish component to it, you are messing up the formula in a very non-meaningful way.

Torgo2727
Oct 24, 2004
Taking Care of the Place While the Master Is Away
Here's my situation that I hope you guys can offer some insight about :

- 24 Years old, "medium to med/high" risk tolerance
- I'm finishing up my Vanguard Roth IRA contributions for 2009 this year and will be able to invest $5000 for 2010 as well.
- I have ~4000 in a regular ING Direct savings account. (Think emergency fund or otherwise)
- I also have ~1000 in my checking account for the month-to-month expenses and the like.
- No debts or outrageous expenses to report.
- I have also started a new job with the following 401k options.

Click here for the full 1440x552 image.

The company matches dollar for dollar 5% of my contributions, so obviously I want to contribute AT LEAST that much...which leads to my question.
The default investment is one of their Target Retirement Accounts 2050, but I'd like to see everyone's opinions on the other funds that are available.

In my limited knowledge, I was thinking something along the lines of a Domestic/Int/Bond split around 45/40/15, but then again I could be totally off base, factoring in my current financial situation. What would be the ideal funds to target for my splits? And are these funds good enough to warrant investing past the 5% match?

I should also add that I'm looking to purchase a home within the next 5-10 years, instead of renting, and sooner if possible.(though that may be better served in the home buying thread) What sort of account should I be using to put money away for that?

Thanks in advance for the help, everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
I'm going to open a Roth IRA, and I really like the Vanguard funds, but I don't know that I'll easily obtain enough money to have money in more than one fund for a while. I want to go ahead and get started, and Schwab has some good low expense ratio index funds--just not as many as I'd like, into the future. Will it be hard to switch companies, say, 5 years from now?