Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regression
Nov 7, 2009
What are some good/great/classic movies that have loneliness as a theme? Nothing really comes to my mind, but I'm sure there must be plenty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

I'd say this film just about scrapes into the 'good' category mentioned but you might like the Japanese film Kairo (aka Pulse).

It gets a bit supernatural but at heart it's about solitude in modern society.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Regression posted:

What are some good/great/classic movies that have loneliness as a theme? Nothing really comes to my mind, but I'm sure there must be plenty.

Everything by Ming-liang Tsai.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Regression posted:

In a Lonely Place
Je Tu Il Eille
Taxi Driver
Ali: Fear Eats The Soul
The Man Who Sleeps
Requiem for a Heavyweight
Blast of Silence

bitt3n
Aug 19, 2006

Regression posted:

Cast Away probably qualifies

Silver Newt
Jun 8, 2007

Happiness is being famous for your financial ability to indulge in every kind of excess.
Are there any interesting films or documentaries about the film industry? I've just finished watching The Cutting Edge - The Magic Of Movie Editing and I want to find more films about the biz.

Off the top of my head I can think of:
The Player
This Film Is Not Yet Rated
Entourage (tv series)
Bowfinger
Cinemania
Funny People
Get Shorty
What Just Happened
Barton Fink

...all of which I've seen and enjoyed, but can't think of any more to add to my Lovefilm list.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Silver Newt posted:

Are there any interesting films or documentaries about the film industry? I've just finished watching The Cutting Edge - The Magic Of Movie Editing and I want to find more films about the biz.

Off the top of my head I can think of:
The Player
This Film Is Not Yet Rated
Entourage (tv series)
Bowfinger
Cinemania
Funny People
Get Shorty
What Just Happened
Barton Fink

...all of which I've seen and enjoyed, but can't think of any more to add to my Lovefilm list.

poo poo, we had a whole thread about this a while ago, but I dunno where it is now.

Day for Night
8 1/2
Z Channel: A Magnificent Obsession
Burden of Dreams
Who's Camus Anyway?
Lost in La Mancha
Sunset Blvd.
Cinema Paradiso (I actually don't like this much, but a lot of people do)
Singin' in the Rain
American Movie
Hearts of Darkness
Ed Wood
Irma Vep
Symbiotaxiplasm
The Kid Stays in the Picture
Adaptation
Close-Up

I know there's a bunch I'm not thinking of.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

In addition to the ones mentioned already,
Living in Oblivion
The Big Picture
8 1/2

Silver Newt
Jun 8, 2007

Happiness is being famous for your financial ability to indulge in every kind of excess.

FitFortDanga posted:

poo poo, we had a whole thread about this a while ago, but I dunno where it is now.

Day for Night
8 1/2
Z Channel: A Magnificent Obsession
Burden of Dreams
Who's Camus Anyway?
Lost in La Mancha
Sunset Blvd.
Cinema Paradiso (I actually don't like this much, but a lot of people do)
Singin' in the Rain
American Movie
Hearts of Darkness
Ed Wood
Irma Vep
Symbiotaxiplasm
The Kid Stays in the Picture
Adaptation
Close-Up

I know there's a bunch I'm not thinking of.

I've already seen Adaptation and Ed Wood - but most of the others are new to me, so that's my next few films planned - thanks.

Suurikelmi
Mar 17, 2006

Drizzle 34 posted:

like:
fight club, gangs of new york, lock stock, rocknrolla, ocean's 11, se7en, life aquatic with steve zissou, Trainspotting, oldboy.

Those definitely aren't all, but I'm heading out to rent something today and those are close to what I'm in the mood for. I've seen snatch but didn't like it as well as the other two guy films. might be the accent, though I usually keep up fine.

I'd very much recommend The Bank Job.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Can someone recommend me stylish movies that have the type of clothes/vibe as A Single Man, or the show Mad Men? I guess early 60s would be it. Preferably dramas.

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...
hook me up with some war movies. STOP what you are thinking, i've probably seen most all good movies i'm looking for something that i haven't seen.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

hook me up with some war movies. STOP what you are thinking, i've probably seen most all good movies i'm looking for something that i haven't seen.

That's not very helpful. For all we know, you could think that "most all good movies" consists of Saving Private Ryan, Platoon and Apocalypse Now.

Here are some that I hope you haven't seen. If you have, well, sorry to waste your time. I'll try to skip the more obvious ones. A lot of these are more about war in a larger sense rather than battle scenes and whatnot, but you weren't very specific.

Fires on the Plain
Devils on the Doorstep
Shame
The Red and the White
Kanal
Wooden Crosses
Paisa
Overlord
Ballad of a Soldier
Ivan's Childhood
The Dam Busters
The Cruel Sea
Human Condition I,II,III
The Americanization of Emily

SKEET SKEET
Jan 2, 2010
I need a couple good recommendations for murder-type mysteries. Things in the vein of Seven and Silence of the Lambs are what I am looking for.

Also, crime movies like Heat, Miami Vice (that's right, I loved it :colbert: ) and such would be cool too. I have run out of patience for standing around at the video store trying to pick out movies and ending up there for fourty five minutes because I can't decide.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Silver Newt posted:

Are there any interesting films or documentaries about the film industry?

A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies - Scorsese's knowledge and enthusiasm makes this series great. Word of warning though: lots of spoilers if you aren't very experienced with classics of American cinema.

Easy Riders, Raging Bulls - A look at 70s cinema in America. Based on the book of the same name which everybody should read.

Schlock!: The Secret History of American Movies - A suitably weird documentary about weird cinema. I wouldn't rate this one as being essential unless you enjoy this type of film.

Midnight Movies From The Margin To The Mainstream - A really good look at midnight movies, focusing on several of the key originals including Waters, Lynch, and Jodorowsky.

Stanley Kubrick's Boxes - Kubrick was famously meticulous and a pack rat. In this documentary, the documentarian is given access to Kubrick's "boxes" which contain all sorts of curiousities related to his films. This is a very odd documentary, but definitely worth it if you're a Kubrick fan (and if you aren't, why are you even in CineD anyway?).

This Filthy World - Not really a documentary, it's just John Waters doing a spoken word night, but he tells all sorts of great stories about making his films. Essential if you're a fan of Waters, entertaining for anybody else who doesn't mind engaging some deviant prurient interests. Otherwise: pass.

Visions of Light - A fantastic documentary about cinematography that will likely give you a new appreciation for the art. Highly recommended.

A Decade Under The Influence - Another look at 70s films produced by IFC. Definitely worthwhile. American film from the 70s was just so exciting.

Hope this list helps. Also, FFD recommended "Z Channel" which is essential (as is "Burden of Dreams" -- and you might consider "My Best Fiend" if you're a fan of the Kinski/Herzog films).

oceanside
Nov 4, 2009
So, I've been watching The Unit lately and marvelling in the cool secrecy that surrounds their existence and stuff. Are there any movies with covert operations, preferably by some sort of special/elite forces.

FSFilms
Aug 22, 2009

by mons all madden

Silver Newt posted:

Are there any interesting films or documentaries about the film industry?

The Stunt Man is probably my favorite of this category. It sort of defies definition but I guess you could say the set up is kind of the same as Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. All around amazing movie.

Edit: to include IMDB; http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081568/

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Silver Newt posted:

I've already seen Adaptation and Ed Wood - but most of the others are new to me, so that's my next few films planned - thanks.

Just so you don't get confused, I hosed up one of the titles. It's Symbiopsychotaxiplasm, not Symbiotaxiplasm.

bonus description from Criterion:

In his one-of-a-kind fiction/documentary hybrid Symbiopsychotaxiplasm Take One, director William Greaves presides over a beleaguered film crew in New York’s Central Park, leaving them to try to figure out what kind of movie they’re making. A couple enacts a break-up scenario over and over, a documentary crew films a crew filming the crew, locals wander casually into the frame: the project defies easy description. Yet this wildly innovative sixties counterculture landmark remains one of the most tightly focused and insightful movies ever made about making movies.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 13, 2010

Silver Newt
Jun 8, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

Just so you don't get confused, I hosed up one of the titles. It's Symbiopsychotaxiplasm, not Symbiotaxiplasm.

bonus description from Criterion:

In his one-of-a-kind fiction/documentary hybrid Symbiopsychotaxiplasm Take One, director William Greaves presides over a beleaguered film crew in New York’s Central Park, leaving them to try to figure out what kind of movie they’re making. A couple enacts a break-up scenario over and over, a documentary crew films a crew filming the crew, locals wander casually into the frame: the project defies easy description. Yet this wildly innovative sixties counterculture landmark remains one of the most tightly focused and insightful movies ever made about making movies.

Thanks - I tried looking it up, butI assumed it was just pretty obscure because Wikipedia hadn't heard of it. Added it along with loads of the others to my list.

As another film to add to the list of those already reccommended, I watched 'Confessions Of A Superhero' a few nights ago which was a really good documentary which - while commenting on the poor, messed-up and deluded people it focuses on - is also an interesting look at how affecting the film industry can be.

northerain
Apr 8, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
I'm looking for movies featuring the occult, probably horror movies. Stuff like ''The 9th Gate'' and such.

SuperSlacker
Mar 11, 2007

northerain posted:

I'm looking for movies featuring the occult, probably horror movies. Stuff like ''The 9th Gate'' and such.
If you don't mind humor being thrown in, Sam Raimi's Evil Dead series or Drag Me To Hell are good. I personally prefer Evil Dead 2.

-I'm looking for atmospheric movies set in Japan. Something like the atmosphere in the movie Lost in Translation, with or without a similar theme.

SuperSlacker fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 15, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

SuperSlacker posted:

-I'm looking for atmospheric movies set in Japan. Something like the atmosphere in the movie Lost in Translation, with or without a similar theme.

You want some Shunji Iwai. Check out All About Lily Chou-Chou and Love Letter.

Some others:
Tony Takitani
Sonatine
Fireworks (Hana-bi)
Still Walking
Labyrinth of Dreams
A Gentle Breeze in the Village
Rainbow Song

Maybe also Last Life in the Universe. It's a Thai movie set in Thailand, but the star (Tadanobu Asano, who's in just about everything) is Japanese.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

northerain posted:

Race With The Devil - Loretta Swit, Warren Oates, and Peter Fonda in a camper van being chased by a devil cult! My friends and I like to gather at Halloween and watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqv6PIH_ymY

Warning: Cheese factor is high. So is the level of greatness.

When you race with the devil, you better be faster than hell!

or

Equinox - It's got the book of dead and a satanic HYPNO-RING! It's also available from Criterion. Oh yeah, and Herb Tarlek is in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE1UlPPId-o

This movie is brilliant.

CineD trivia: Vertov has the cover as his avatar, and Vertov is awesome, so there's another reason to watch this film.

Other more obvious picks:
Rosemary's Baby (another Polanski occult film)
The Omen
The Beyond (highly recommended)

The Devil Rides Out (a great Hammer film)
The Church (Michele Soavi) - but only if you know what to expect from Italian horror

People around here are probably also sick of me proselytizing for "El Dia De La Biesta" (Day of the Beast), an awesome Spanish film about the anti-christ potentially being born on Christmas and one priest's struggle to prove it is happening and trying to stop it, but that really deserves to be on this list too.

I hope you haven't seen at least one of these, I envy being able to see any of them for the first time again.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I just watched Carl Dreyer's Vampyr and loved its disconnected nightmarish quality. It reminded me of Eraserhead in a way, which is a very good thing. I'd like recommendations for other movies that create a surreal, nightmarish atmosphere. Stark contrasty black and white and Gothic imagery are also a plus.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

caiman posted:

I just watched Carl Dreyer's Vampyr and loved its disconnected nightmarish quality. It reminded me of Eraserhead in a way, which is a very good thing. I'd like recommendations for other movies that create a surreal, nightmarish atmosphere. Stark contrasty black and white and Gothic imagery are also a plus.

Tetsuo - The Iron Man is a perfect fit.
Less perfect but still worth consideration:
Jacob's Ladder
Angel Heart
The Tenant
Repulsion

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

regulargonzalez posted:

Tetsuo - The Iron Man is a perfect fit.
Less perfect but still worth consideration:
Jacob's Ladder
Angel Heart
The Tenant
Repulsion

I've seen and loved (and own) Tetsuo. Same with Jacob's Ladder. God, Tetsuo is a trip. Repulsion was already on my Netflix queue. I'll put the other two on there. Thanks.

lindramine
May 4, 2006

Nectar is delicious!
I'm looking for some good (for me) vampire movies. So many that I've watched just don't hit the right tone and I'm left disappointed. I really want to see movies where the vampires are not the "bad guys" in a monster sense -- i.e., they can be bad in human ways, such as being greedy, selfish, etc., but not just pure scary monsters. I am fine with some violence/gore, as long as it's not too intense or take up too much of the movie. (For instance, the small gross parts in The Lost Boys or Let the Right One In didn't put me off, but Daybreakers was too gross for me.) A movie that did a better job with the "vampire society" thing that features in Daybreakers would be awesome as well.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

lindramine posted:

I'm looking for some good (for me) vampire movies. So many that I've watched just don't hit the right tone and I'm left disappointed. I really want to see movies where the vampires are not the "bad guys" in a monster sense -- i.e., they can be bad in human ways, such as being greedy, selfish, etc., but not just pure scary monsters. I am fine with some violence/gore, as long as it's not too intense or take up too much of the movie. (For instance, the small gross parts in The Lost Boys or Let the Right One In didn't put me off, but Daybreakers was too gross for me.) A movie that did a better job with the "vampire society" thing that features in Daybreakers would be awesome as well.

You should read Anne Rice's vampire books (Interview with the Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, etc). Shame the movies are so bad, but the books do a great job of capturing the feeling you're looking for and exploring vampire society.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 16, 2010

lindramine
May 4, 2006

Nectar is delicious!

regulargonzalez posted:

You should read Anne Rice's vampire books (Interview with the Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, etc). Shame the movies are so bad, but the books do a great job of capturing the feeling you're looking for and exploring vampire society.

I read those books when I was a teenager, and I remember looking forward to the Interview with the Vampire movie sooo much when I was 14 -- got the poster, a t-shirt, etc., and everything -- but it wasn't a very good movie. The books also deteriorated after The Tale of the Body Thief (or, at least, Memnoch the Devil was soooo bad that I never tried reading the ones after it.) If she was a little less melodramatic, those books would hold up better today, I think.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

SKEET SKEET posted:

Also, crime movies like Heat, Miami Vice (that's right, I loved it :colbert: ) and such would be cool too. I have run out of patience for standing around at the video store trying to pick out movies and ending up there for fourty five minutes because I can't decide.

I really enjoyed Johnnie To's Vengeance, if subtitles are fine. The man is king of Hong Kong crime films ever since John Woo went Hollywood.

oceanside
Nov 4, 2009

oceanside posted:

So, I've been watching The Unit lately and marvelling in the cool secrecy that surrounds their existence and stuff. Are there any movies with covert operations, preferably by some sort of special/elite forces.

Hm, since no luck with that, in sticking with the secrecy thing... Movies about secret societies? Only one I can even think of is the Da Vinci Code.

oceanside fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 16, 2010

bitt3n
Aug 19, 2006

lindramine posted:

how about Near Dark

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

bitt3n posted:

how about Near Dark

Seconding this recommendation. It pretty much meets all your criteria.

lindramine
May 4, 2006

Nectar is delicious!

thegloaming posted:

Seconding this recommendation. It pretty much meets all your criteria.

Heh...it's funny, because I was just re-watching bits from Bravo's 100 Scariest Movie Moments last night, and Near Dark was one of the movies on there. I'll have to look for it -- it seemed like it might be interesting.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
I wouldn't call it scary, it's just got this sort of dingy, grubby, hopeless atmosphere (rather akin to 30 Days of Night, which I dug despite it's varifold flaws). The ending 10 minutes feel a bit like a studio addition after a test screening, but it's definitely my favourite vampire flick.

This thread totally reminded me that I need to watch Drag Me To Hell, so thanks for that.

SuperSlacker
Mar 11, 2007

Evfedu posted:

I wouldn't call it scary, it's just got this sort of dingy, grubby, hopeless atmosphere (rather akin to 30 Days of Night, which I dug despite it's varifold flaws). The ending 10 minutes feel a bit like a studio addition after a test screening, but it's definitely my favourite vampire flick.

This thread totally reminded me that I need to watch Drag Me To Hell, so thanks for that.
Do it. It definitely has that Sam Raimi feel and it's great.

Dekko
May 23, 2007
Are there any good movies about the Spanish Civil War? Particularly ones about/from the point of view of the Anarchists? I've got Ken Loach's Land and Freedom but haven't got round to watching it yet.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Dekko posted:

Are there any good movies about the Spanish Civil War?

They're more indirectly about the Spanish Civil War, but Spirit of the Beehive and Cria Cuervos are both excellent. And then there's Pan Labyrinth, but I recommend seeing the other two first.

Mock the Cross
Sep 4, 2009
I'm looking for period movies that take place in the nineteenth century, roughly. Good examples of what I'm looking for are The Illusionist, The Prestige, Sherlock Holmes (hey, it was a fun movie!), Dorian Gray, The Wolfman (which I cant wait to see) and so on.

I am completely in love with this setting and would greatly appreciate any recommendations of great films that take place in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.

Mock the Cross posted:

I'm looking for period movies that take place in the nineteenth century, roughly. Good examples of what I'm looking for are The Illusionist, The Prestige, Sherlock Holmes (hey, it was a fun movie!), Dorian Gray, The Wolfman (which I cant wait to see) and so on.

I am completely in love with this setting and would greatly appreciate any recommendations of great films that take place in it.

The Time Machine with Guy Pearce isn't a great movie but the period setting before he time travels is really well done in my opinion.

• Locked thread