Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Wrestling question: Any good wrestling news rss feeds? I'm subscribed to Inside Pulse Wrestling, which is decent, atm. Tried 411mania.com's but didn't like how they just have a teaser in the feed and I have to open browser for any content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Why is Cena dressed up as Sting?

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Why aren't you?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Chilly McFreeze posted:

Why aren't you?

...You're alright, McFreeze.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Has the Undertaker EVER done any shoot interviews, Q & A's, whatever since joining the WWE? Even any video of him acting out of character besides thanking Flair on the Raw after WM XXV?

There are plenty of second-hand accounts and whatnot but it'd be interesting to get it straight from the source.

Taken from the Undertaker Thread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3209332

And the excerpts from WWE Unscripted

quote:

I started training at this gym between my junior and senior years of college, and I met a guy there who was trying to find someone to go to wrestling school with him. I was interested, but I had basketball. I went to college on a basketball scholarship, and I was good enough that I was getting offers to go overseas and play professionally.

People I talked to who knew wrestling said "You fill out a bit, at 6' 8", you could go someplace." I was a fan of wrestling, but I had put all this time into basketball. But the reality hit me one day: At best, I was gonna have two or three years in pro basketball, probably in Italy or some other place I didn't want to be. So I decided to give wrestling a chance. I upset a lot of people when I left college; I was ten credits short of my degree. But I realised at that point what I wanted to do, and the opportunity was there, and I wanted to seize that opportunity.

My oldest brother told me, "Look Mark, you don't live your life for everybody else. You have to do what's right for you. You can't worry about what Mon and Dad think, or your coach thinks. You ain't hurting anybody else. You're gonna live, you're gonna survive by your own actions." That was pretty much all I needed to hear. I took it from there.

Once I was working every week, I knew that I would make it. Did I know that I would make it to the level I did? No; you can't foresee anything like that. There for a while, I slept in my car. Pretty much all my money went to food. But I wasn't going to ask anybody for help, I had too much pride. And I didn't want to hear any flak about not finishing college. Not that I'm proud I didn't get my degree, but I had made my choice.

quote:

It took me a long time to figure out how to have a normal life. My life for nine years was all wrestling: everything was centred on wrestling. I loved it. I wore all black, even at home. I was always the Undertaker, Mark was never around. Now, I've got the two seperated. It took me a long time to figure it out. My wife helped me with that quite a bit. It took meeting her to actually be happy away from this, to find out there was something more to life than wrestling and being on the road. I used to be a wild partyer. I lived the life, I definitely lived the life. I didn't leave much to the imagination.

It is really hard to have a healthy relationship. You're out there on the road, you're a celebrity, you're exposed to many different things, people are always telling you how wonderful you are, and you're presented with so many challenges. If you are a male wrestler, you have your wife - or girlfriend - at home, taking care of the house, sitting there by herself, bringing up kids, wondering what's going on on the road. In that situation, an imagination can run wild, and it usually does. People aren't stupid - they know what's available out there.

There are a lot of guys that do keep monogamous, honest relationships, and that's great. I'm one of those guys now. Back in the day though, I was the devil. My wife Sara has made an incredible difference in my life and , as a result, in my career. I give her all the credit, not only as a personal motivator, but as somebody that actually makes me happy. Makes me happy without liquor, without any kind of drugs, anything. I didn't ever think that person existed.

quote:

I think originally people were taken with The Undertaker character because it was so different than anything they had seen. I think everybody has some fascination with death and are curious about what happens when people die. It's kind of a taboo kind of thing, something people don't talk about, so I think I captured a lot of people's imaginations, like "Wow! This guy's right out there, he's talking about souls, about things that people don't like to talk about." Initially, people were terrified of me. Kids in the arena would be bawling when I made my ring entrance. It was like the boogeyman had come to life. And somewhere in the process of that first year, year and a half, the fans really got high on that character; it became a really cool character. I think just by my size, and the way this character looked, and he moved so slow, and then there was this sudden burst, this explosion of energy, and then he'd be right back to slow again - the whole package just fascinated people. It was just one of those rarities when everything fell into place and just hit. For me, it was stuff that I was interested in anyway, so that made it easy. I lived the character, lived it for all this years. I always was in black, going to the airport, going to the gym, everywhere. When Sara and I met, my whole wardrobe was black. She's actually responsible for getting me to wear stuff that's not black.

People are becoming more sophisticated, more bloodthirsty, so it will be interesting to see where all this is going to end up. People have preconceived ideas about what wrestling is. What disturbs me is that some of these ideas defy logic. You can actually see somebody get picked up and thrown down, and yet somehow it didn't really happen; it was a camera angle, or the guy knew how to fall. Where the confusion comes in is that the outcome is predetermined, but how you get to that outcome is real, very real, more real now than ever before. I'm curious whether in another 10, 15 years, wrestling will be more of an Ultimate Fighting Challenge-type thing; that's kind of where the business is progressing.

quote:

It used to be you had big, rawboned guys, and some guys had beer guts. Now everybody puts in their time in the gym. They realise that an element of the business that's gotten real big is "Looks do matter." Your physical appearance does matter; it matters with Vince McMahon. Vince is a bodybuilder; he puts in his time in the gym. If you can impress him, you're opening the door a little wider for yourself. And when someone on our roster isn't in shape, they hear about it.

My whole eye socket is titanium mesh; it's all rebuilt in there. I was wrestling Mabel, who was 6'8" and 450, 500 pounds, maybe more. I took a clothesline from him that pretty much ended up as a fist in the eye, and it crushed my eye socket. He was moving towards me and I was going toward him, and his fist just got me first. When I breathed, my face would fill up with air. My mindset at the time, the way I did things, was that if you could walk, you could work, you could go the ring, and that's what I did. I worked three more days. When I got to the optometrist and they looked at it, they told me if I had taken another shot in that eye I would have lost it, because the nerves and everything wre rubbing up against a jagged piece of bone.

I try to eat high protein and low carb, but I refuse to be an egg-whites-and-chicken-breast guy and nothing but. The one pleasure I still keep is my eating habits. I'll eat fish and chicken, but I love red meat and I eat it when I want it. I try to really cut my carb consumption after 3 or 4 in the afternoon. I don't eat cereal at night anymore - that was my favourite nighttime junk food. I do a lot of cardio to try and keep the fat down. But I'm not as strict as a lot of guys. I'll eat a piece of fried chicken in a heartbeat. I make enough sacrifices in my daily routine that if I want to eat something, I'm going to. That's not saying I'm gonna eat 30 pieces of fried chicken, but I am gonna take care of that craving, and if that means doing extra cardio the next day, so be it.

Which led to Jerusalem's quote

Jerusalem posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, imagine dating his daughters? Now imagine dating his daughters and sneaking her back in the house at 2am and finding him sitting at the table with a bowl of cocoa puffs looking really loving angry.

nyratk1
Jul 24, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

Capsaicin posted:

Why is Cena dressed up as Sting?

I remember when he first debuted he was compared to surfer Sting for some reason.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Is that a real screengrab or a 'shop? If it's real, what's the story behind it?

Jewellers posted:

What's the reason for the stripped-down set for events at Madison Square Garden? Will anything more elaborate just not fit, or is it a nod to history or something?
Does anybody have pictures of this?

benhobbys
Jan 26, 2005

by angerbeet
What's the chance of having all the 24/7 hardcore matches on DVD? I don't mean "standard" hardcore matches, I mean the unplanned ones backstage and in hotel rooms or the fun park.

A lot of those matches were just funny. Sure they completely lacked in skillful wrestling, but I loved that rule and the weird stuff that came with it. Is there a specific reason why this will never happen? or it might if I hope hard enough?

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Looks to me like it's from his debut match

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

LividLiquid posted:

He's just a dedicated member of the one Warior nation

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

...and take the plane into a NOSEDIVE... Randy Or Ton.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

Does anybody have pictures of this?

Not pictures, but gifs of the last shows I remember them doing from MSG:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=339018079
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=368619393
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=368619996

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The Cameo posted:

Not pictures, but gifs of the last shows I remember them doing from MSG:
Thanks for this, but I meant from the minimalist RAW set from last year with no Titan-Tron.

Edit: Or was that it? It looks the same to me.

Hockles posted:

He's just a dedicated member of the one Warior nation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWhsE5D6lAo

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

Thanks for this, but I meant from the minimalist RAW set from last year with no Titan-Tron.

No, that's pretty much it (those are from Rumble 2008 (duh) and the Piper RAW last year, which was the last Garden RAW, I think). There's usually a very tiny Tron or none at all at MSG. They do the videoscreen door instead nowadays. The exact reason, I assume, is that the setup they have that way allows for maximum seating, because WWE knows they can sell out MSG 9 times out of 10 for major events, so you might as well maximize the attendance. The arena doesn't really need the giant tron, anyway, since the whole point of MSG shows is atmosphere, and lots of it.

Hell, I just realized that one of the only big shows to not have the entrance directly across from hard camera the way they do these days is Wrestlemania XX. Even X was set up that way. Hell, I think Wrestlemania I has roughly that entrance placement, just without the camera setup across from it. :psyduck:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

If they ran brawl 4 all today, who would win? Taker? Punk? Hornswoggle?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Some jobber nobody cares about so lets say... Primo.

nyratk1
Jul 24, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

projecthalaxy posted:

Finlay?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

nyratk1 posted:

Finlay?

Probably, unless they brought Meng back for it.

Does anyone know what Ric Flair said about Raven in his book? I know he trashed Foley and Sandman, but I've heard Raven mention it in a couple of shoots now so I was wondering what was said. Raven is shocked that Flair gives enough of a poo poo to bury him, and frankly I am too.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
What's the record for longest stretch between Wrestlemania matches? I figure Bret may have it after this year if he's actually put in a match. Just got me wondering.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

projecthalaxy posted:

If Big Show got in decent shape, him. He has legit boxing training.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Bearnt! posted:

What's the record for longest stretch between Wrestlemania matches? I figure Bret may have it after this year if he's actually put in a match. Just got me wondering.

Hogan went nine years between beating Yokozuna and losing to the Rock. Can't think of anyone else with that big of a gap.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
I just thought of Steamboat, he faced Valentine at Wrestlemania IV and then Jericho last year so that would be 21 years. After that probably Snuka who faced the Undertaker at Wrestlemania VII and was also in last year's match vs Jericho.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

What about the Iron Sheik? He was in the gimmick battle royal at WM 17 and I think his last match before that was WM 3. So he had a gap of 14 years.

Well, I guess hes behind Steamboat and Snuka then. But still a respectable length.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

oldpainless posted:

Well, I guess (Iron Sheik is) behind Steamboat and Snuka then. But still a respectable length.

Out of context this is hilarious.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Moose Bigelow posted:

Out of context this is hilarious.

Next to your avatar it's disturbing.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

projecthalaxy posted:

I think Regal would have a pretty good shot.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Human Tornado is awesome, is there a reason why either WWE or TNA hasn't scooped him up?

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

Atticus Finch posted:

Human Tornado is awesome, is there a reason why either WWE or TNA hasn't scooped him up?

Because he makes Spike Dudley look like a heavy weight, probably.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
That would explain WWE, but not TNA.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Isn't he quite injury-prone?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

reality_groove posted:

Isn't he quite injury-prone?

He's had one notable injury.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

LividLiquid posted:

Edit: Or was that it? It looks the same to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWhsE5D6lAo

I can't believe they ended a broadcast with. "Warrior! What are you doing, Warrior?"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

projecthalaxy posted:

Kozlov or maybe Regal depending on the rules. Regal was trained in the Blackpool area which tended to train wrestlers in real catch wrestling as well as professional wrestling. I assume Finlay has some of that training along with just being a tough guy.

Kozlov has legitimate sambo and kickboxing experience, so I'd put him as a big favorite to win it.

Billy Robinson is convinced that DH Smith could be a UFC Champion if he could train him, so maybe he'd have a chance as well.

Taker is too old, not properly trained and not very mobile. (Mobility would probably hinder Finlay as well.) CM Punk has no training and isn't the most athletic or coordinated guy out there so I don't see him even entering.

I guess if you throw Big Show in there he'd be a favorite, but I imagine Kozlov would be able to neutralize his size.

As for Meng, he was a tough guy, but stories of him being this amazing shoot fighter are overblown. Bischoff tried to get him to enter an early UFC (at a time when there weren't any all around fighters) and he told him no, he'd have no chance.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oldpainless posted:

What about the Iron Sheik? He was in the gimmick battle royal at WM 17 and I think his last match before that was WM 3. So he had a gap of 14 years.

He wrestled a few times during the Slaughter Iraqi heel run didn't he?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Russo had Undertaker come out in sweat pants and drop character once for one of his worked shoots.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1kjhb_the-undertaker-shoot-promo_shortfilms

Its pretty much just "biker taker wants respect" a few years earlier.

blunt fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 16, 2010

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRayPer posted:

He wrestled a few times during the Slaughter Iraqi heel run didn't he?

not at mania i dont think.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

dusty udder smoker posted:

not at mania i dont think.

Bah, I misunderstood what he was talking about in terms of a gap.

Bikeage
Nov 10, 2009
Iron Sheik did appear at WM13 in 1997 as the Sultan's manager, though.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

I guess if you throw Big Show in there he'd be a favorite, but I imagine Kozlov would be able to neutralize his size.

I'd favor Big Show overall. People seem to doubt the fact that he has a simple punch to the face as a finisher, but keep in mind just how big this motherfucker really is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CM Junk posted:

I'd favor Big Show overall. People seem to doubt the fact that he has a simple punch to the face as a finisher, but keep in mind just how big this motherfucker really is.

The problem is Big Show has maybe a few months of boxing training from 2007 when he signed that contract to box, and other than that has no real training as a fighter. Against a big dude like Kozlov who is trained in a legitimate martial art and who has kick boxing training as well should be a favorite against a larger untrained opponent since realistically in a scenerio like this Big Show has only 6 inches and 100 lbs on Kozlov, and is in much worse physical shape both in terms of injuries and conditioning.

Swagger in theory would do well, but that would depend on the rules. The last Brawl 4 All had such ridiculous rules that just a pure amateur wrestler wouldn't really have that much of an advantage.