Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
It'll eventually be a case of Joe-Cellphone-Camera can take photos throughout the entire concert, instantly post them to facebook and a hundred other sites, whereas the proper photographers are ushered out after the first few songs and never credited anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Eh, it's been like that for a while. But you aren't going to get the same pics a camera does with a cell phone. Yet.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
http://photos.dunxphoto.com/Music/Spoonfed-Tribe

Spoonfed Tribe at the Granada Theater here in Dallas the other night. Things weren't so great. Lights were messed up, I wasn't feeling well, the band was acting strangely (even for a band in the greenroom) before the show.

I'm not terribly happy with any of these. It was really hard for me to pick out a couple that I even want to post here.

spritely
Oct 13, 2009

wankle posted:

This one's terrific.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

evil_bunnY posted:

pr0digal that's pretty great stuff. Do you have a set somewhere?

yup, http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehansenphoto/collections/72157623087037791/

all the bands from the show

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand

dunkman posted:

http://photos.dunxphoto.com/Music/Spoonfed-Tribe

Spoonfed Tribe at the Granada Theater here in Dallas the other night. Things weren't so great. Lights were messed up, I wasn't feeling well, the band was acting strangely (even for a band in the greenroom) before the show.

I'm not terribly happy with any of these. It was really hard for me to pick out a couple that I even want to post here.

You bastard, how'd you manage to get greenroom access?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Anyone ever contacted the post rock band Mono from Japan about photo passes? I emailed their contact info a few days ago about getting a pass for one of their UK shows, but haven't heard poo poo all back.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

thehustler posted:

Anyone ever contacted the post rock band Mono from Japan about photo passes? I emailed their contact info a few days ago about getting a pass for one of their UK shows, but haven't heard poo poo all back.

Talk to the promoter of the show.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

HPL posted:

Talk to the promoter of the show.

No idea who it is, I'm going to contact the venue direct and see if I can glean some information from them.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I saw The Decemberists, I was bereft of media pass, but Colin Meloy was nice enough to almost jump on me towards the end of the show:

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

psylent posted:

I saw The Decemberists, I was bereft of media pass, but Colin Meloy was nice enough to almost jump on me towards the end of the show:

ahhh, a Portland beard in Aussie-town.

THIS IS RUBBISH
May 30, 2007

by Fistgrrl
I was lucky and got to shoot Electric Six about a month ago. Dick Valentine has to be one of the more entertaining frontmen I've shot in a long while.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

THIS IS RUBBISH posted:

I was lucky and got to shoot Electric Six about a month ago. Dick Valentine has to be one of the more entertaining frontmen I've shot in a long while.

yea when i saw him, he definitely had a game show host kind of vibe, but is incredibly fun.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
After working with DxO Optics Pro 6.0 for a couple of months, I can say that it's a concert photographer's secret weapon and one of the most underrated photography programs out there right now. It can take photos that are a gong show of noise and make them usable and take photos that are okay for noise and make them look incredible. With my 40D, photos at 1600 often look like they were shot at 800. It preserves detail way better than Noise Ninja does.

Whether you're shooting with or without flash, it does a great job of controlling highlights and bringing detail out of shadows. It used to be that I'd have to dink around with sliders for each and every photo, but now I can load up my selects, set them all to a general setting then go through and tweak a photo here or there and then done.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I've been meaning to check that program out for a while and you might have just sold me on it. I've heard nothing but good things from other photographers.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

rockcity posted:

I've been meaning to check that program out for a while and you might have just sold me on it. I've heard nothing but good things from other photographers.

They key thing to remember is that when you're working on your photos, what you see in the program is a very rough preview so it'll show all the noise and everything. You have to learn to have some measure of faith in the program that everything will be all right once it's processed for good.

THIS IS RUBBISH
May 30, 2007

by Fistgrrl
How do you guys feel about post processing? I try to keep it straight from the camera outside of RAW adjustments and noise reduction, but lately I've been using an ink filter to pop out my blacks and balance out the color, as I tend to shoot in venues that favor cold washes and my camera, a Sony a850, seems to have a tendency towards cold photos on its own.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

THIS IS RUBBISH posted:

How do you guys feel about post processing? I try to keep it straight from the camera outside of RAW adjustments and noise reduction, but lately I've been using an ink filter to pop out my blacks and balance out the color, as I tend to shoot in venues that favor cold washes and my camera, a Sony a850, seems to have a tendency towards cold photos on its own.

I'm not much for a whole lot of processing for live stuff, but I don't mind color adjustment. I do some color tweaking often just to try to match what I think the actual color of that light is, sometimes certain colors, blues and greens in particular can end up looking sort of off in camera, especially on the skin. Outside of that most of what I adjust is just the contrast and sharpening. Most of the time I don't even mess with noise reduction, it's just not worth it for me for web use unless the shot really needs it.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.
I usually just run my photos through Light room to brighten them up a bit or make the really noisy ones black and white. Though I'm not really too knowledgeable about post stuff so I stay away from that a lot altogether.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...
Got out and shot some bands tonight, it's been a while and I've definitely got some kinks to work back out.

Heiress

Narrows

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

AtomicManiac posted:

I usually just run my photos through Light room to brighten them up a bit or make the really noisy ones black and white. Though I'm not really too knowledgeable about post stuff so I stay away from that a lot altogether.

I learned largely by trial and error. Learning to work with your photos means never having to convert to black and white because of noise.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

HPL posted:

I learned largely by trial and error. Learning to work with your photos means never having to convert to black and white because of noise.

I usually take a few Black and white ones anyone, I feel like it breaks up a set a little bit.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I did a shot for an article on this band last night. They were already drinking.

Bonus shot from another band playing last night too

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
Got my monotonix pics up finally. It's pretty hard shooting a gig like that. I never want to do it again.

http://www.theseriousbusiness.ca/

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand

Four Banger posted:

Got my monotonix pics up finally. It's pretty hard shooting a gig like that. I never want to do it again.

http://www.theseriousbusiness.ca/

Aww, I had so much fun shooting them when they came through here. Sure, it's wild and poo poo's flying everywhere, but how many bands get carried out the door in the middle of the set so they can play on top of their van? That show was a riot.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

dreggory posted:

Aww, I had so much fun shooting them when they came through here. Sure, it's wild and poo poo's flying everywhere, but how many bands get carried out the door in the middle of the set so they can play on top of their van? That show was a riot.

Oh it was a blast to shoot, but I'm really not happy with the pictures for the most part. It was so unpredictable, It was the most hectic experience of my life. Running everywhere trying to find a decent shot, and I'd get there and they'd move.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Went to see Leo Koettke and Leon motherfucking Redbone tonight. :c00lbert: They've been touring together for decades. Redbone owns, as he has for the past 35-odd years, playing early 20th-century music and Tin Pan Alley classics. I'd never heard of Koettke before tonight.

Thing about Leon, he had a lamp on a little nightstand by him when he played. That was the only source of illumination. :suicide: I cranked it to 6400, 1600 when I had something to lean on for lower shutter speeds. I shot these to be B&W so it worked out that the ISO had to be pushed to capacity. I also shot a roll of TriX 400 @ 6400 which will be back from the lab today, see how well it pushes 4 stops.

Leo Koettke was properly lit, in more ways than one. He told awesome long rambling stories in-between songs, often going on far longer than the songs themselves.

pwn fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jan 28, 2010

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Did my first festival yesterday; a reggae festival called Raggamuffin. Lauryn Hill and Julian Marley know exactly how to let me take good photos.

Rented out a 5D Mark 2 and a 16-35 f/2.8, and took my 7D and my 70-200 f/4. I'd originally planned to use the wide angle on the 5D, but ended up using the 70-200 on it, and maaaaan. I want a full frame so much worse than before.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I used the 70-200 f4 IS last night to shoot a gig, and man, is it nowhere near fast enough. Even my 30mm 1.4 struggled at some points with 1600 ISO.

Am I mad for wanting to shoot my next gig on my Bronica medium format? Delta 3200 pushed to 6400 looks pretty decent.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I used the 70-200 f4 IS last night to shoot a gig, and man, is it nowhere near fast enough. Even my 30mm 1.4 struggled at some points with 1600 ISO.

Am I mad for wanting to shoot my next gig on my Bronica medium format? Delta 3200 pushed to 6400 looks pretty decent.

I shot a show with my Mamiya 645 Pro a while ago. I used HP5 at 1600 but HP5 goes to 3200 pretty easy too. The nice thing about the Mamiya is that the lenses are swifter than most other makes of lenses.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

What kind of gig was that? I'm using f4 pretty consistently with club, outdoor and amphitheatre gigs, no matter what the lens.

Also 5D lovin':

No post processing besides resizing. hnnnnnnngh

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

University band playing in a badly lit bar. One stage was decent, but bland lighting, the other was terrible. I was using f/1.4 at iso1600 and still getting slow shutter speeds :/

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
I dont know anything about the music scene here in Sydney, I dont know any bands or anything. What is my best option for getting into some gig photography? Should I just show up at some random gigs of bands i can find on facebook or whatever and then try and sell them after the show via facebook?

Or maybe shoot some random gigs for free which would maybe get me some attention in the "scene"

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

pwn posted:

I did a shot for an article on this band last night. They were already drinking.

Bonus shot from another band playing last night too

I really like both of these. Band looks relaxed in the first shot, and that drummer shot is pretty rad. I always struggle to freeze drummers in the act but when you pull it off it's cool. Sometimes a little bit of blur adds to the shot, of course.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

fenner posted:

I dont know anything about the music scene here in Sydney, I dont know any bands or anything. What is my best option for getting into some gig photography? Should I just show up at some random gigs of bands i can find on facebook or whatever and then try and sell them after the show via facebook?

Or maybe shoot some random gigs for free which would maybe get me some attention in the "scene"

If sydney has a website equal to Perth's Perth Bands.com go there, you would not believe how many bands want free shots or in my case, music videos. Can't give you a specific site though sorry.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

pwn posted:

Leo Koettke was properly lit, in more ways than one. He told awesome long rambling stories in-between songs, often going on far longer than the songs themselves.

I'm so jealous you got to see this show. I love both Redbone and Kotke.

My band had our CD release show this weekend and Thomas A. Minor and the Picket Line opened for us. They do old fashioned country/folk.

Their myspace: http://www.myspace.com/thomasaminorandthepickinline

I wish the light on the fiddle player was better.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

fenner posted:

Almost no bands will want to buy your photos as they have no money, also there are usually anywhere between 2-5 people snapping away with DSLRs at any moderately popular band's gig. At the last Essential Festival I was one of 13 photographers lined up in front of some no-name band on a tiny stage in 34B. It was ridiculous.

I've been shooting bands in Sydney for a few years, you can take your camera to pretty much any small venue, ie Spectrum/Oxford Art Factory/Gaelic/The Forum, get down the front and then shoot away.

If you want to shoot at the Metro or the Enmore, go right ahead - just get there early and line up with the fans.

If you want to get press passes so you can shoot from the photo pit you can sign up to become a contributor to places like fasterlourder/inthemix/accessallareas - but you'll need samples of music photography to get that far. Also, I've found the photo editor at Faster Louder really only give out the good gigs to their bestest buddies, so you'd basically have to suck up to them and attend all their parties to make any progress there. Anyone who's not in the clique gets stuck with the leftovers - which is why I'll be shooting Black Lips at the Manning Bar next Monday.

Drum Media and Brag don't "accept unsolicited material".

I think the best approach is to start a website, go see small bands take photos of the bands, take photos of the fans. Put them up on your site, do this a LOT. Get some cheap business cards made out and hand them out to everyone you take photos of. You'll get known this way. I'd do it, but I'm married and can't be bothered going out 2-4 nights a week shooting bands and not getting paid for it anymore.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

psylent posted:

If you want to get press passes so you can shoot from the photo pit you can sign up to become a contributor to places like fasterlourder/inthemix/accessallareas - but you'll need samples of music photography to get that far. Also, I've found the photo editor at Faster Louder really only give out the good gigs to their bestest buddies, so you'd basically have to suck up to them and attend all their parties to make any progress there. Anyone who's not in the clique gets stuck with the leftovers - which is why I'll be shooting Black Lips at the Manning Bar next Monday.

You've gotta get in early: email her about stuff before she sends out the big group email. Rocking up to the contributor meet-ups, sporadic as they may be, is good as well. I got a paid shoot because of that (not with FL though, with another part of the Sound Alliance), merely because one of their staff actually knew who I was when asked for a shooter.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I email early and get ignored, I reply to the group emails within 5 minutes and get a reply back a week later saying "oh soz everything is gone" or with my 3-4th preference if I'm lucky. It's a community thing and I understand that, if I was to get more involved I'd probably get better gigs, but eeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenner
Oct 4, 2008
Thanks for the writeup psylent, sounds like a lot of effort which i'm not willing to put in as gig photography doesn't interest me a lot, I just wanted to give it a go. I will probably just shoot some small events without getting paid for the experience.