Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Z3n posted:

You are the living epitome of :smug: now aren't you. :v:

Needs a GPZ 900

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I see a more modern maverick riding a streetfighter or superduke.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slim Pickens posted:

I see a more modern maverick riding a streetfighter or superduke.

A bking hauled on a trailer!

Best part about that movie:

gently caress yeah, tiedowns!

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Z3n posted:

A bking hauled on a trailer!

Upside Potential
Jun 14, 2006
If you think this guy is terrible, wait till next year.

blugu64 posted:

Needs a GPZ 900

I hosted a party on New Years, people wanted to see my winterized '84 GPz. As I was completely drunk, I put on my aviators, brown leather jacket got on it and started to sing "Eye of the Tiger" :smugfailure:

It needs to be summer.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Well, the temperature here in PA was in the 40s today, so I took the Buell for a 20 minute spin and then did some laps in the parking lot behind my house on the XL250R with my son riding as co-pilot.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Got the front wheel fixed at CycleGear today, they replaced the tube for free, which was good. I bent a piece of metal back into place which will hopefully fix the speedo, and also hastily rattle canned the rest of the bike red. I'm going to redo it all later anyway, I just wanted to look as though it matched for now.

I couldn't for the life of me get the front brake back on. I don't have any sort of clamp to compress the cylinder to make a gap in the pads big enough to fit over the rotor. I also stripped the gently caress out of a screw on the reservoir, which was annoying. Hopefully only one more parts order away from being road worthy.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
1: Started the Vgo up, wobbled down my ice-and-slush covered driveway into the clear streets, puttered around town for a while.

2: Paid the ~$200 for title and plates for me Wee at the Currency Exchange

3: Bought insurance for my Wee

4: Road my Wee all loving over Chicago :D

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

Got the front wheel fixed at CycleGear today, they replaced the tube for free, which was good. I bent a piece of metal back into place which will hopefully fix the speedo, and also hastily rattle canned the rest of the bike red. I'm going to redo it all later anyway, I just wanted to look as though it matched for now.

I couldn't for the life of me get the front brake back on. I don't have any sort of clamp to compress the cylinder to make a gap in the pads big enough to fit over the rotor. I also stripped the gently caress out of a screw on the reservoir, which was annoying. Hopefully only one more parts order away from being road worthy.

You don't need a clamp, just put the old pads in there and pry them apart with a screwdriver. Make sure you don't have the cap on the reservoir, and surround it with a towel or something, because forcing the piston back in the caliper will force fluid out of the caliper.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Above 40 for the first time in a month? Went for a ride after work...did some unintentional drifting on a patch of sand/salt. That's probably the last time I go for a night time ride with poo poo on the roads.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Sixty degrees today after a cold snap. Started it for the first time in weeks. Felt good.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Z3n posted:

You don't need a clamp, just put the old pads in there and pry them apart with a screwdriver. Make sure you don't have the cap on the reservoir, and surround it with a towel or something, because forcing the piston back in the caliper will force fluid out of the caliper.

I never actually got the screw out I stripped in the reservoir, so I won't actually get the top off until I get hold of a dremel.

edit: will a clamp work without the reservoir top off?

hayden. fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 15, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

I never actually got the screw out I stripped in the reservoir, so I won't actually get the top off until I get hold of a dremel.

edit: will a clamp work without the reservoir top off?

How much fluid is in the reservoir? If it's near full, I wouldn't try and force it in. You could crack the top of the reservoir, depending on how tight it's on there.

Also, just to mention it in case you don't already know: You should clean the caliper and the piston before you try and force it back in, to avoid the grime on the caliper tearing up the seal on the brake caliper. :)

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Found out that I need a new clutch cover gasket, my bike is not holding oil very well.

GASKETS :argh:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Rode it to work this morning (SV650), 28 degrees and loved every minute of it...minus the frozen fingers.

Then got home and took out the DRZ. Jumped curbs, cut through fields and played around in and around town. drat I missed riding.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Z3n posted:

How much fluid is in the reservoir? If it's near full, I wouldn't try and force it in. You could crack the top of the reservoir, depending on how tight it's on there.

Also, just to mention it in case you don't already know: You should clean the caliper and the piston before you try and force it back in, to avoid the grime on the caliper tearing up the seal on the brake caliper. :)

Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to spray it with some brake cleaner.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to spray it with some brake cleaner.

Now my turn to ask a question...is brake cleaner going to degrade the piston seals? I thought you were supposed to clean them with a toothbrush and hot soapy water.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I imagine in the process of cleaning brakes with brake cleaner you'd wind up getting a lot of it in and all around the brakes. I think if it was really that harmful I would have heard something of it by now. Looking online, there's as many places telling you to clean all around the piston with brake cleaner as there are places saying to not get it on the piston seal.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yesterday I took it out for a short trip to the gas station, insurance agency, and Italian Store. I ran out of gas as I was turning into the gas station (still had reserve, though).

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Cleaned, lubed, and adjusted my chain before taking it out for the first ride in a few months. The gear I got for Christmas (Joe Rocket Ballistic 8.0 jacket and 7.0 pants) works great. It felt good to be leaned all the way over passing a semi in a turn while getting blown nearly out of my lane by his draft wind again.

loving semis; they're on every single decent road around here and they do 70 in the straights and park in the corners. It's like following a GSX-R.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Put the naked handlebars and triple trees back on the SV, took it grocery shopping. Going to attempt to daily ride that as long as possible. Hopefully the only thing that will stop me from riding is snow/ice.

Played on the motard, did my first set of stairs. Then decided I wanted to play in the dirt. Like a dumbass I grabbed the front brake too hard in a semi-panic stop and went down. So my 1 piece leathers have a orange tint to them in a few spots now, the bike and I are fine.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003
Over the weekend I changed the oil and oil filter on my bike, and built myself a fancy race baffle for my V&H exhaust system. Hooray DIY.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I got my new blinkers all wired today with liberal help from a hot glue gun. Pretty awful job, but it works just fine. It also turns out that the bolts sticking out of the blinkers I bought are about half an inch too short to make it through the metal rack on my KLR, so they're hot glue gunned in place :cool:

Did a really hasty job rattle canning the tank and everything is red now, which is nice. I'm going to paint the rad shroud and take some photos of the "finished" product. It'll be really to ride as soon as the plate that holds the front sprocket in place arrives in the mail. hosed up the first one by installing the sprocket backwards :downs: It'll be nice to finally ride this junk after working on it and sitting on it for months.

edit: i lied, here are phone pics:

hilariously small blinker shot

and here's a shot from when i first got it:

hayden. fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 19, 2010

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
Rode it to work (all the way across the street).

Rode it to lunch at a nice Turkish place

Rode it to dinner at an okay chicken place

Rode it to a friends place to help him carry a 50' mast (from a sail boat) into his back yard from the bed of a truck.

Rode it home, in the rain, in January, in summer gear. Luckily this is Texas, and its 65F out right now for some freak reason.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Weather is pretty awesome in Texas right now, wish my bike worked.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Crashed it. *headdesk*

Crash Test Us thread has details

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Rode the kikker around the past three days. Took a "long" ride on monday(along the waterfront, about a 10 mile ride) and found out the vibrations at low RPM are brutal. My throttle hand and rear end were going numb by the end. Then I remembered how great motorcycles were when I rode to school tuesday and wednesday. The time you spend gearing up is always gained back when you find a 4 foot gap between parallel-parked cars near the front of the school.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Coolant flush + new coolant. You have to move the gas tank a couple inches to do it on the KLR, and I turned the petcock off without really thinking about it. After I did the coolant, I start the engine to run it through, and it dies after about 30 seconds. I'm thinking gently caress gently caress gently caress something seriously just shat itself - then happily remembered the petcock.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

Weather is pretty awesome in Texas right now, wish my bike worked.

Hey dudes the weather has been great here in Texas!

Installed a brand new everstart battery into my SV and lubed the poo poo out of that chain after I took a steel brush to it to knock out some rust :watup:

God drat I didn't realize how much I missed the freedom of motor cycle riding!!!

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Captain Apollo posted:

God drat I didn't realize how much I missed the freedom of motor cycle riding!!!
If you could only do one or the other, which would you pick? Motorcycle riding or flying a plane?

I've wanted to take flying lessons for as long as I can remember...

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

You can do motorcycle riding for a hell of a lot cheaper and a hell of a lot more often. Plus you'll probably only be flying single engine Cessnas. If you choose motorcycles, you'll get to ride a liter bike, which is the aircraft equivalent of a fighter jet.

Lots of places will give you an "intro" lesson for like $20-40. You should go try it out. Getting up the air really gets you hooked on it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

jdonz posted:

If you could only do one or the other, which would you pick? Motorcycle riding or flying a plane?

I've wanted to take flying lessons for as long as I can remember...

I began taking the classes for a private liscence two years ago and while I enjoyed the time in the air I think I have more fun on the bike. The added bonus of bikes being a lot cheaper helps as well.

Go do one of the intro lessons that you can find for $50 or so and see if you like it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I've flown in small planes with friends and honestly, while it's cool, motorcycles still trump it. Maybe if I got into acrobatics or something, but it's just not the same.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Z3n posted:

I've flown in small planes with friends and honestly, while it's cool, motorcycles still trump it. Maybe if I got into acrobatics or something, but it's just not the same.

For one thing, not following the law on a motorcycle won't get F/18s scrambled.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Radbot posted:

And when it comes to the capabilities of a motorcycle vs law enforcement, any plane you'd be flying would be like a moped against a cop car. Motorcycles, on the other hand...:smug:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Radbot posted:

Honestly, that's a plus for the cessna if you ask me.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

I got my new blinkers all wired today with liberal help from a hot glue gun. Pretty awful job, but it works just fine. It also turns out that the bolts sticking out of the blinkers I bought are about half an inch too short to make it through the metal rack on my KLR, so they're hot glue gunned in place :cool:

Did a really hasty job rattle canning the tank and everything is red now, which is nice. I'm going to paint the rad shroud and take some photos of the "finished" product. It'll be really to ride as soon as the plate that holds the front sprocket in place arrives in the mail. hosed up the first one by installing the sprocket backwards :downs: It'll be nice to finally ride this junk after working on it and sitting on it for months.
edit: i lied, here are phone pics:

Hello there, KLR buddy! :hfive:

I picked up a 2004 KLR650 on Monday. Today I changed the oil, adjusted the rear preload and rear dampner. The adjustments really helped with supporting my big rear end. Now I need to start looking for some luggage. After 3 years of being out of the game, I finally own a motorcycle again. I'm loving it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Radbot posted:

The guys in the supermoto thread might disagree.

A liter bike has a higher top speed than a Cessna 172. A Busa is actually faster than the Cessna's Never Exceed speed, its structural limits.

I'd love to get into flying though, and I'd enjoy the hell out of a club 172. But the PPL is just too expensive in Norway. We might be getting some equivalent to the Sports Pilot's License eventually, but right now I'm considering something like this:

Costs the same as a 2 year old R1200GS and is easily outrun by my GSX in 3rd gear. But it's cheap, accessible and probably fun as hell.

If money was no issue...

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Ola posted:

If money was no issue...

Nono. If money was *no* issue...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Nono. If money was *no* issue...

All you need is a few Pepsi bottle caps and you can have one of those.

Edit: Backstory is probably required on this:

Backstory posted:

”As most of you know, Pepsi ran a promotion in which “Pepsi points” could be redeemed for merchandise. In a commercial they ran, they listed some of the merchandise that could be bought, concluding with a Harrier “Jump Jet” for 7 million Pepsi points. The rules of the promotion stated that a purchaser of any given piece of merchandise must redeem at least 15 original Pepsi points, but could purchase any additional points needed to purchase the item from PepsiCo at a price of US$.10 each.

So, on March 28, 1996, John Leonard submitted a Pepsi Stuff order form along with 15 original pepsi points, and a check for US$700,008.50 for the remaining Pepsi points and shipping and handling charges. On May 7 of the same year, Pepsi refused to deliver the Harrier jet, returning his check and giving him a coupon for three free cases of pepsi as consolation.

Leonard resubmitted on May 14, and Pepsi refused again. Leonard submitted the request a third time, got turned down again, and then filed suit against PepsiCo for breach of contract and fraud.

Scrapez fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 21, 2010