Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Yes, you got it right the second time. I just want a fast way to view them so I can show people a bunch of raws whenever. Unfortunately, my girly 400D only does RAW + highest quality jpg which would quickly eat up my memory cards :( I know I could batch convert those jpgs later but :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I've read a few places that if you overexpose your shots when shooting in raw it will give you more ability to underexpose in post. I overexposed a couple shots I took recently and was amazed at how much detail I could bring back from the highlights. My question is, is there any downside to this besides the danger of completely blowing something out? Is it good practice to overexpose when shooting RAW??

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

There is usually more detail in the shadows in RAW files, so as a general rule, exposing for highlights is better.

But that's a general rule, and general rules are dumb. It really depends on the situation and what the important elements are in your image.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Basically you expose so that your highlights are just below the clipping point. It's quite easy to do with the histogram in stable light.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

What lies in the shadow of the RAW file

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Interrupting Moss posted:

What lies in the shadow of the RAW file

Detail

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Here's a comparison showing this:

The left image is exposed for the highlights. The middle image is the same file with shadow detail recovered. The right image is the same scene exposed for the shadows.

Alvination
Aug 12, 2005

"Let me ask you something: what do women want?"

"Who cares?"
I can't remember if it was posted in this forums or if I read it somewhere else, but does anyone have this list of steps on learning photography? It was really about starting to look at things differently and then the last step was something like "now you're learning".

Edit: nvm, found it

quote:

1. You start out with very little knowledge
2. You start doing research and realize it is much more difficult than you imagined.
3. You begin to pick up knowledge, the technical side of things.
4. You begin to use the technical knowledge and it works.
5. You start to feel as if you are mastering the technical
6. You begin to feel you know a LOT.
7. You start posting images that you are proud of.
8. You KNOW your images are better than much of what you see.
9. Family and friends start to oooo and aaaahhh at your images
10. Pro’s don’t seem to acknowledge you.
11. You think it’s jealousy.
12. You reach a valley in your photography. You are starting to notice that your images aren’t quite what you thought they would be.
13. You start to notice that, in your images, the models hands, the composition, the depth…isn’t quite what you wanted.
14. Even your very favorite photograph isn’t as good as you once thought. “I should have . . . “
15. You are now completely dissatisfied with everything you have ever shot.
16. You begin to realize that your photography is NOTHING compared to the masters.
17. You begin to see the differences in your photography compared to what you see published.
18. Now you are beginning to learn. …

Alvination fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 15, 2010

brad industry
May 22, 2004

notlodar posted:

There is usually more detail in the shadows in RAW files, so as a general rule, exposing for highlights is better.

But that's a general rule, and general rules are dumb. It really depends on the situation and what the important elements are in your image.

I've heard this too and I think there's some evidence it works in some situations, but IMO as someone who works as a digital technician on shoots this is a really terrible idea. You can bring out several stops worth of detail out of underexposed shadows and it'll be fine, but clipped highlights are loving gone. If we clip highlights even a little bit on a shoot we bracket to comp in later and don't even touch the highlight recovery because it's unacceptable for production/print. It might be ok if you're posting low res poo poo on the web but it's a bad habit to get into. General rule is to treat digital like slide film and veer on the side of underexposing.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Ok, so I was importing about 700 images from Spoonfed Tribe, and they finished importing, and I was doing 1:1 previews overnight, and I accidentally closed Lightroom after about 10 images.

How do I run a preview thing on the whole batch post import? I can't figure it out.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

That makes sense, when it comes to money, try to play it safe, always when it's someone elses money.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Hey guys,

This is a pretty weird question to ask, but I'm not sure who to turn to. I'm shooting the inauguration of the new Virginia governor, Bob McDonnell tomorrow. I've shot political rallies before, but never an official ceremony. Is there any sort of expected dress code for photographers?

There's no mention of anything in the press packet, and I'm a guy, which is probably important.

I was planning on wearing jeans and a nice sweater, but I can kick it up a notch if need be. Just don't want to sway too far in the wrong direction.

Thanks!

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Personally, I'd rather be overdressed than underdressed. Even if you are overdressed, you appear more "official" :shobon:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
If it were me, I'd go khakis and a polo but I've never been to an inauguration.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

dress like an accountant

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

wear one of those clear visors too.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I'll wear a green visor and go as a blackjack dealer. I'll get access anywhere!

I think I'm going with khakis and dress shirt, with a tie in reserve if need be. I've never been to an inauguration before, but, now that I think about it, of course it'll be more formal than most events I'm used to shooting. Durr.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

BobTheCow posted:

I think I'm going with khakis and dress shirt, with a tie in reserve if need be. I've never been to an inauguration before, but, now that I think about it, of course it'll be more formal than most events I'm used to shooting. Durr.

don't wear khakis and a tie. Wear black or gray dress pants and a tie with a button up dress shirt. I guess you could wear khakis and a tie but you'll look like the manager of a Best Buy.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

dunkman posted:

Ok, so I was importing about 700 images from Spoonfed Tribe, and they finished importing, and I was doing 1:1 previews overnight, and I accidentally closed Lightroom after about 10 images.

How do I run a preview thing on the whole batch post import? I can't figure it out.

Library -> Previews -> Render.....

You may have to select the folder - or possibly all the images in a folder, I forget.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

BobTheCow posted:

Based on what I've seen from watching CSPAN and such, the Washington press corp wear khakis and blue oxford type shirts, no ties. This is roughly the dress code I had to follow for the paper I interned with as well. Are you shooting it for a press organization or for the governor/his campaign or whatever? I'd dress up more if you're working for him, but if you want to fit in with press, business casual is the way to go. Not a bad idea to throw the tie in bag just in case though.

Or get a felt hat with a 'press' card tucked into the brim. That works too.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

TsarAleksi posted:

Or get a felt hat with a 'press' card tucked into the brim. That works too.

Don't forget to have a stogie hanging out of the side of your mouth.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Just so this discussion about clothing can end, I'll update you all. I wore khakis and a nice button-up shirt, no tie, and I was more dressed up than most of the rest of the photographers in the press corp. The guys working for the governor were wearing suits though.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

HPL posted:

Don't forget to have a stogie hanging out of the side of your mouth.

For a finishing touch you need to be reeking of scotch and fixer.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.
does anyone know where that required reading list went? i cant remember who posted it or in what thread, but i cant find it anywhere.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

fronkpies posted:

does anyone know where that required reading list went? i cant remember who posted it or in what thread, but i cant find it anywhere.

Perhaps it was the reading list posted by the A Photo Student blog?

http://www.aphotostudent.com/photo-readings/

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

BobTheCow posted:

Hey guys,

This is a pretty weird question to ask, but I'm not sure who to turn to. I'm shooting the inauguration of the new Virginia governor, Bob McDonnell tomorrow.

State level inauguration and the press corp was wearing less than formal? Weird. Personally, I would have gone full suit.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Jahoodie posted:

I can't remember who compiled this, but here's a RAR of all the PDFs from those links: http://rapidshare.com/files/324614737/Photography_Reading.rar.html

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

Jahoodie posted:

Thanks

brad industry posted:

I can't remember who compiled this, but here's a RAR of all the PDFs from those links: http://rapidshare.com/files/324614737/Photography_Reading.rar.html

And thanks.

Aiming to massively grow my photographic book library, both theory and bodies of work.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

brad industry posted:

Does the download count reset at some point? It says it has reached 10 and is not available for download.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
Oh god i've been conned into doing some gig crowd photos on thursday.. whats the typical settings people use to make it look like they've been doing it for years?
Just a relatively slow shutter speed, rear curtain diffused flash, drag it a little, and that's all?
I feel dirty.

I'll be using my 10mm fisheye, so at least It'll have something a little different about it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Just drag the shutter a wee bit to get some ambient. On a fisheye you won't need to stop down much to get humorously deep DoF, so just a dab of flash should be enough.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

squidflakes posted:

Does the download count reset at some point? It says it has reached 10 and is not available for download.

Didn't realize that about RapidShare... if anyone's got a dedicated hosting solution I'll e-mail the RAR to them.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Didn't realize that about RapidShare... if anyone's got a dedicated hosting solution I'll e-mail the RAR to them.

How big is the file?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Whitezombi posted:

How big is the file?

About 13 megs

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Pompous Rhombus posted:

About 13 megs

natebolin at gmail

TheFuglyStik
Mar 7, 2003

Attention-starved & smugly condescending, the hipster has been deemed by
top scientists as:
"The self-important, unemployable clowns of the modern age."

Pompous Rhombus posted:

About 13 megs

akastevemurray at gmail

I saw the list and the local library has absolutely none of them. :(

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

TheFuglyStik posted:

akastevemurray at gmail

I saw the list and the local library has absolutely none of them. :(

I'm assuming Whitezombi is going to re-host it for everyone, so I just sent it to him. (PS also post the link in the Dorkroom General Chat thread, that's where I originally got the idea)

Maybe try a university library for the other stuff? Mine has all but one of the things not in the .RAR file.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

ryan at altarsofradness dot com

I'll throw it on my mobile me when I get it and we can max that bitch out.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I'm assuming Whitezombi is going to re-host it for everyone, so I just sent it to him. (PS also post the link in the Dorkroom General Chat thread, that's where I originally got the idea)

Maybe try a university library for the other stuff? Mine has all but one of the things not in the .RAR file.

Here is the link to the Required Photography Reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Whitezombi posted:

Here is the link

Thank you for this, Whitezombi! I definitely wanted to check that out.