Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaunO
Jan 29, 2006

Just some copy-paste from my project thread from another forum on my project car, stuff I did yesterday;

Just been working on the exhaust system, have a resonator to put in because the exhaust is too loud. It's 3 inch straight pipe from the turbo all the way to the end to a 5 inch HKS super dragger muffler.
Unbolt the downpipe from the rest of the exhaust to get a piece of the exhaust out to weld the resonator into.
Hmm, the downpipe connection onto the turbo exhaust housing seems a bit loose or something.. *rattle* WTF the dump pipe just fell off the turbo! *takes the turbo 'beanie' off* WTF there's no v-band clamp on the v-band connection, IT HAD BEEN WELDED ON!! D: I have no idea how long it has been broken off like that for since the dump pipe connection to the rest of the exhaust would've been holding it in place, but it would've been leaking like mad and still is! Gonna organise a v-band clamp now, luckily the exhaust housing isn't broken! Only the weld.

In the pic, exhaust housing to the left, dump pipe hanging down on the right, you can see the broken weld on the turbo.

As we go to take the dump pipe out.. oh wait let's unplug the oxygen sensor.. hmm, unravel the cables.. get to the plug.. oh... ITS NOT PLUGGED IN D: And has nowhere to plug into! WTF!! Will have to dig around to find where on the loom the oxygen sensor plug is but it should be around there somewhere.. holy poo poo no wonder it runs so rich D:

So yeah, have the resonator in now, obviously not going to make a difference because half the exhaust is coming straight out of the turbo.

Anyway, I never noticed how huge the HKS Superdragger muffler was, so here's a pic, for reference, that's a 5" tip.

ShaunO fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 13, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I just changed rear pads and rotors on my fiancee's Saab. The bolts holding the caliper bracket on would not budge. But I was able to pivot the old rotor enough to clear the center of the hub and clear it from the bracket.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Drove it for 100 miles just to pass emissions. MA's state inspection for OBD-II vehicles now just requires 4 of the 5 emissions diagnostics to report 'good.' Since I had a piggyback chip on my ECU, it was blocking those diagnostic signals from the reader, so I failed the first test. When I took the chip off, I of course unhooked the battery. But that meant the ECU had 0 recorded miles on it, and not enough info for the diagnostics. So I had to drive past Nashua and back to get 100 miles on the clock. The techs told me 50 mi should be enough, but I've heard 100 elsewhere. Didn't want to take a risk if I was gonna do it in one shot.

I wish we just had the old sniffer tests :(

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Broke the transfer case lever off! so had to strip out the centre console and then the top of the transfer case to get the bit back and weld it back together again- one of the welds for the TWO extension pieces in that shifter failed!

Then started to remove the Dynamat from the doors.. Oh god do i HATE tar! 4hrs and still havent got the drivers door done :(

Mr. Toast
Oct 10, 2007

by Fistgrrl

ShaunO posted:

In the pic, exhaust housing to the left, dump pipe hanging down on the right, you can see the broken weld on the turbo.

Holy poo poo! At least it looks easily fixable - not a whole lot of material on the clamp to grind down.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Ferremit posted:

Then started to remove the Dynamat from the doors.. Oh god do i HATE tar! 4hrs and still havent got the drivers door done :(

Try dry ice, it freezes the glue so bad you can scrape it off. Then use some acetone and rub off the glue residue.

ShaunO
Jan 29, 2006

Mr. Toast posted:

Holy poo poo! At least it looks easily fixable - not a whole lot of material on the clamp to grind down.

Yeah, easily fixable, not much at all, reason the weld broke in the first place hah..

Today I got my new v-band clamp, it's loving thick as poo poo. So thick that in the above pic, underneath the exhaust housing of the turbo, is where the flange is for the exhaust manifold, one of the studs is in the way and fouls the clamp :( I don't really want to have to take it all apart, so I worked away at the tip of the stud (threaded end) to make it shorter and get the clamp in.. nearly there, will finish tomorrow night. I need to use some RTV anyway which I don't have on hand, so going to have to wait till the weekend till I even get the clamp on for good.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Long story.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Replaced the thermostat in the E21. It now runs in a normal operating temp, doesn't overheat, warms up faster and blows hot air instead of just warm.

Replaced 2 of 4 glow plugs in the caddy diesel. Only 2 because I couldn't get the other two out without removing the injection pump which means I have to mess with timing which means I should do the water pump and timing belt while I am at it...etc. drat thing still won't start.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Installed a set of Michelin Radius wiper blades. Not sure how they compare to the RainX Lattitude or Bosch ones, but at $13 each, the price may be worth it compared to the $18-$20 for the other brands.

Also I keep forgetting that there is a little button that releases the old blades, and I smashed my finger pretty good pulling the old ones out.

Also confirmed that I broke my rear passenger side ABS sensor when an errant hammer swing struck it. So that means a new hub/bearing/ABS sensor all in one unit. Probably going to hold off on this because I'll need an alignment afterward, and I have to do tie rod ends, and might as well do sway bar bushings while I'm at it, and the control arm bushings are on their way out too, so probably rebuild the entire suspension so I only have to get one alignment.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 17, 2010

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Turned my lovely headlights from this:

And keep in mind this is CLEAN. I washed them in preparation for the restoration kit. They were like this all the time and when they got sprayed with crud from the roads it was even worse.

To this:

What a loving difference. I might be able to see poo poo at night now! I used the 3M headlight restoration kit and it seemed to work pretty well.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

needknees posted:

Turned my lovely headlights from this:

To this:

Nice. Mine aren't quite that bad, but once the weather warms up (late April) I might do the same. 3M you say?

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Drove it for 100 miles just to pass emissions. MA's state inspection for OBD-II vehicles now just requires 4 of the 5 emissions diagnostics to report 'good.' Since I had a piggyback chip on my ECU, it was blocking those diagnostic signals from the reader, so I failed the first test. When I took the chip off, I of course unhooked the battery. But that meant the ECU had 0 recorded miles on it, and not enough info for the diagnostics. So I had to drive past Nashua and back to get 100 miles on the clock. The techs told me 50 mi should be enough, but I've heard 100 elsewhere. Didn't want to take a risk if I was gonna do it in one shot.

I wish we just had the old sniffer tests :(

Screw the sniffers tests. Having to change out my chip for an emissions chip in the Buick was a pain. Now I'm in and out in like 5 minutes. I do finally have an OBDII truck though :\

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

My goodness what am I doing here?
Don't have many pics but today I went to work on my day off to utilize some goodies in the paint shop.

The result:

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

A loving SHINY Volvo 740. 19 year old single stage for the win! Between buffing, polishing, and glazing every bit of my car, and helping a co-worker prep his Civic for paint, I spent about 9 hours at the shop today, on my day off! Also managed to touch up pretty much every spot on the car that needed a dab of paint and painted the door moldings with some SEM Trim Black. Didn't spend a penny and now my car looks brand new. It's pretty nice working at a body shop sometimes.

Here's a shot of the hood after a couple passes of the buffer with the before paint at the top:

I didn't get pics but last weekend I also put in a new pioneer headunit to replace my barely working tape deck, and installed an A-Pillar pod for my boostu gauge, poo poo is 2fast 4real.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

ExecuDork posted:

Nice. Mine aren't quite that bad, but once the weather warms up (late April) I might do the same. 3M you say?

Aren't yours glass front anyway? Flip-ups, right?

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

Jack_Handey posted:

I spent about 9 hours at the shop today, on my day off! Also managed to touch up pretty much every spot on the car that needed a dab of paint and painted the door moldings with some SEM Trim Black. Didn't spend a penny and now my car looks brand new. It's pretty nice working at a body shop sometimes.

Impressive, time well spent if you ask me.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

ExecuDork posted:

Yep, it was the 3M plastic headlight restoration kit.

The headlights throw out so much more light now it's not even funny. It kinda pisses me off that a car just 5 years old would have that bad of hazing already, but I'm glad it came off so easily.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Changed the oil in my G8, first time doing this car myself. The first change was free from the dealer. It takes a while for 8.8 quarts of oil to drain!

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Changed the oil in my G8, first time doing this car myself. The first change was free from the dealer. It takes a while for 8.8 quarts of oil to drain!

Jesus, Makes you miss the old days of 1-1/8" drain plugs, doesn't it?

ShaunO
Jan 29, 2006

Managed to hacksaw off the top of a stud that was fouling the v-band clamp on my turbo, took 30 mins to manually work a hacksaw blade with no handle to get it done, several blisters later, the clamp is finally on properly and no more leaky turbo :D

Raised the car to bring the suspension height up, measured from the center of the wheel to the bottom of the guard. The legal limit here for ride height is 100mm but when you get certified for adjustable suspension, they give you a certain height for the wheel->guard and has to be within 5% of that. So had to raise each corner 20-30mm.

Replaced a steering rack boot, used a universal boot, super stretchy so didn't have to take any poo poo out of alignment, slipped on over that poo poo.

Did more sealing of gaskets on the exhaust, now no more leaks and the car is noticebly quieter, quite happy about that.

Ripped out the carbon canister, so now the petrol vapours just vent to atmosphere instead of through the canister and into my intake. Not a requirement here.

Found a split in a silicone join between the turbo and intercooler piping, gotta get a new one when I get paid.

So took the car for a warrant this morning and it passed :D so car is now 100% legal again, pretty happy about that. :)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

Screw the sniffers tests. Having to change out my chip for an emissions chip in the Buick was a pain. Now I'm in and out in like 5 minutes. I do finally have an OBDII truck though :\

:( I took it back and passed emissions, but the central office told the shop that inspection "could not proceed." That is, the server put my inspection into a status where I have to take the car into one of the main inspection stations (usually for commercial vehicles. The techs suspected it's because it looks suspicious that the car went from emissions functions not even reporting to all good. Probably would have went by just fine if I had had bad numbers for some of the functions.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Sponge! posted:

Aren't yours glass front anyway? Flip-ups, right?
They're the pop-ups, yes. I didn't think to check what they're made of, glass or plastic. They get dirty as hell around here, they're close enough to the ground that they get hit with road slime thrown up by anything in front of me.

Do headlight-restoring kits work on other bits of plastic, like the brake lights? Or do you need something special to avoid wrecking the red or amber plastic?

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

ExecuDork posted:

They're the pop-ups, yes. I didn't think to check what they're made of, glass or plastic. They get dirty as hell around here, they're close enough to the ground that they get hit with road slime thrown up by anything in front of me.

Do headlight-restoring kits work on other bits of plastic, like the brake lights? Or do you need something special to avoid wrecking the red or amber plastic?

Your headlights are glass. I'd suggest some ultrafine polishing compound.

As for the rest of your lights, go for it with the 3m kit.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Sponge! posted:

Your headlights are glass. I'd suggest some ultrafine polishing compound.

As for the rest of your lights, go for it with the 3m kit.

Adding to this, that's the beauty of sealed beams - they may suck as actual lights, but if they get lovely or un-cleanable, you can buy a brand new pair with fresh lenses for $30 cheap (I don't know what stuff costs in the Hat).

As for myself - I bought my Subaru a friend :unsmith:

This one is in much better shape than I had expected, starts and runs beautifully, and has a fancy built transmi$$ion w/ LSD front diff installed. I paid $1k for it. Not home yet, because it has a brake fluid leak somewhere, and apparently AAA won't tow cars that aren't registered or insured. :argh:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
^^^ That might be the best $1k anyone has ever spent.

I just spent two hours trying to change the driver-side turn signal bulb. Whoever at GM designed this thing must have really tiny hands - you have to come in through the fender liner and reach into a very small hole and manipulate the thing with the very tips of your fingers because the intake plumbing and crash reinforcement beams are directly in the way.

I can't imagine how you get the headlights off. I hope I can sell the car before one of the headlight bulbs burn out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I spent the evening rolling the parts car into the garage and began stripping it. Pulled off the doors, hood and front wheels. One of the lugs was over torqued and I stripped it trying to turn it. Ended up using the "pound an old socket on" method and spun it right of. Tomorrow the goal is to pull the motor out and grab anything useful before I recycle the body.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Reset the CEL in the wife's Volvo. It's running rich (P0172 code). +25% STFT. Not sure why.

The CEL didn't come back on immediately, but it will. I'm fairly certain of it.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
This showed up today for the solstice..

Quaife LSD unit to replace the clutch based one.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Way2slow posted:

This showed up today for the solstice..

Quaife LSD unit to replace the clutch based one.

This is a very tasty part -- you tracking this car (SSB?), or just have a strong preference for elegant mechanical LSDs?

As for what I did to MY CARS in the past few days:
1) Fuel filter on the Tundra -- never again, gently caress that, I'll pay someone to get gas all over them.
2) Installed a new 7-pin receptacle for towing, including running a new line from the battery to add aux 12V power to the trailer.
3) Started reassembly of my project '95 M3 track car by putting on the "new" fender. Unfortunately, it must have fallen or had something fall on it in my garage, because it's bent. I'll be yanking it back off and using it to practice painting.
4) Bought painting supplies. I'm planning on painting my race car in my back yard, like a pimp.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

My goodness what am I doing here?
2.5" Cat-Back (with gutted cat :ssh: ) straight pipe on the 740. The Exhaust that was on there was a 1-3/4" hackjob, now I've got a very nice increase in power, and it's just a tad louder than it was before. Price was VERY reasonable :cool:

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

Sterndotstern posted:

This is a very tasty part -- you tracking this car (SSB?), or just have a strong preference for elegant mechanical LSDs?

Not competitively tracking the vehicle, but do track for entertainment. It's a GXP, so it'd be in T2, not SSB though.
Multiple reasons for it. It was half off because of closeout, it's supposed to have a lifetime warranty, the stock LSD I'm not impressed with, and I've always felt if you're going to do something, do it right.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Black88GTA posted:

Not home yet, because it has a brake fluid leak somewhere, and apparently AAA won't tow cars that aren't registered or insured. :argh:

Why tell them that? I had AAA flat bed non operational trucks with big parts missing [I had half a humvee with no lights and no plates towed from an auto mall to my work]. Guy didn't ask any questions, my story was it was going from one shop to another shop on the other side of town to be completed.

I guess being at a private residence to another private residence could be an issue. Try asking for a flat bed truck next time [and tip the guy like $20 for the trouble] saying something is seized and you need to really get it back home to your Uncle or something who's a mechanic.

:)

/edit

On the subject, I'm sticking the interior back into my H1 tomorrow... and some of the really cheap plastic cracked while it was in storage because I wasn't careful enough packing it away :doh:

God drat interiors, the hardest to find and the most expensive bits of a car.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

actually from LAST weekend, but only got around to processing the images this weekend....

I did this to my truck!

Who needs flex when you have lockers and barwork? :D

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Replaced the rusted leaking 19 gallon side tank on my truck with a new plastic tank.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Got it stuck, 20 metres from my parking spot. Then it took almost an hour to dig it out and put it back where it belongs. I'm a moron. :downs:

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

BigKOfJustice posted:

Why tell them that? I had AAA flat bed non operational trucks with big parts missing [I had half a humvee with no lights and no plates towed from an auto mall to my work]. Guy didn't ask any questions, my story was it was going from one shop to another shop on the other side of town to be completed.

I guess being at a private residence to another private residence could be an issue. Try asking for a flat bed truck next time [and tip the guy like $20 for the trouble] saying something is seized and you need to really get it back home to your Uncle or something who's a mechanic.

:)

I didn't tell them. :( He showed up at the house (with a flatbed), took one look at it, then cheerfully announced to me that he couldn't take it. The expired registration sticker was clearly visible, and there was no plate. Had I known about this bullshit restriction beforehand, I would have scraped off the reg sticker and brought my own plate, and just acted like I broke down at my buddy's place, but there was no playing it off at that point.

Swell guy though, he told me that it couldn't be towed under AAA, but he'd do it if I paid normally for it. "Normally this tow would run $536 plus tolls, but I'll give ya a break and do it for only $400 :haw: Wow, what a deal! Fortunately, I was able to keep the car at the seller's place until all the paperwork comes through, then I'll try again. Probably next weekend, as I don't have everything in place yet.

I was going to reassemble the cowl on my Prelude today, but it's raining, and I am missing all of those stupid plastic clips that hold it in place. I have to pick up a bunch of those, then do it during the week sometime.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Black88GTA posted:

Swell guy though, he told me that it couldn't be towed under AAA, but he'd do it if I paid normally for it. "Normally this tow would run $536 plus tolls, but I'll give ya a break and do it for only $400 :haw: Wow, what a deal!

Yeah, I figure he was going on a technicality. AAA tows are done via fixed rate contract, so the drivers/towing companies make less on AAA tows than someone who is not a member, or a vehicle that doesn't meet AAA requirements.

In which case if he refused the tow, I hope he didn't get you to sign anything, I've seen triple A tow drivers show up, refuse the tow then get the customer to sign a form, where they still make the flat rate fee but without the tow.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!
Produced theoretical maximum horsepower! (D15B2)

Taken ascending this hill... In 2nd gear... *sigh*

I usually try and stick to 3rd at 4100rpm which is where peak torque is...

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Got a 2.5" stainless x-pipe installed on my G8, and also got the muffler shop to build a heimholtz resonator in front of each muffler to kill the horrible 100hz drone on the highway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thewheelsteve
Jan 26, 2010
---

thewheelsteve fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 20, 2019