Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

revmoo posted:

Bumpy bump. someone answer this please!

Does this help?

(I looked for about an hour at home and couldn't find it, I'm glad you reminded me because I had it bookmarked here at work :) )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yes that does, thanks!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
How dead are the brake pads when the pad wear idiot light comes on? I've known since putting on my winter tires that the brakes would be in need of work soon, but I'm hoping I can put it off until spring when working in an apartment parking lot is a bit more appealing.

Along the same lines, any recommendations for what pads to get? I don't think I'll need new rotors, but I'm not against replacing them if there's a tangible performance increase. My driving is mixed city/highway with random hooning about mixed in, so no special high-wear performance parts, but if there's something better than stock but cheaper/same price I'd like to know about it.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

OrangeFurious posted:

Does anyone have experience with the R5/FCX3-16 code check/reset tool? I'm looking for a way to read error codes without paying the dealer $100 every time something comes up. I'm getting a bit sick of the service message staying on when I do an oil change.

http://www.bimmerzone.com/resettool.htm

If the service light annoys you, don't pay a dime for it. At least on an E34, it's a matter of short-circuiting two pins in the diagnosis plug for 12 seconds, and bam, all service reset. Service reset tools for those cars are a huge ripoff.

It sounds neat for reading codes, though.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Pilsner posted:

If the service light annoys you, don't pay a dime for it. At least on an E34, it's a matter of short-circuiting two pins in the diagnosis plug for 12 seconds, and bam, all service reset. Service reset tools for those cars are a huge ripoff.

Yeah, it's really one of those things where you can accomplish as much with a $20 cable and a OBD2 program and a paperclip, but I can see why some people would just rather pay $130 for an all in one unit.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads

wolrah posted:

How dead are the brake pads when the pad wear idiot light comes on? I've known since putting on my winter tires that the brakes would be in need of work soon, but I'm hoping I can put it off until spring when working in an apartment parking lot is a bit more appealing.

Along the same lines, any recommendations for what pads to get? I don't think I'll need new rotors, but I'm not against replacing them if there's a tangible performance increase. My driving is mixed city/highway with random hooning about mixed in, so no special high-wear performance parts, but if there's something better than stock but cheaper/same price I'd like to know about it.

The brake lining light comes on when the inner pad of either the LF or RR wheel is at 3mm. The pads don't necessarily wear evenly, so it's possible that some of your pads are thinner than that.

I've heard many recommendations for Hawk pads but I haven't used them myself. I usually stick with OEM pads since they have a good balance between noise and performance.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003
Just got done installing the DICE Silverline Pro iPod adapter with the spec.dock ashtray mount. I can't believe how well this works. Better than factory options I'm sure. For those of you out there debating if it is worth it you really have nothing to debate.

I love how install times say "30min. - 1 hr." Now my garage is definitely equipped well enough to handle almost any car installation so tools are not a problem.

6 hours later it's all done. What the hell. Instructions are never right. :( No one ever said you have to make squares fit in circle shaped ares.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

VibrioCholera posted:

Just got done installing the DICE Silverline Pro iPod adapter with the spec.dock ashtray mount. I can't believe how well this works. Better than factory options I'm sure. For those of you out there debating if it is worth it you really have nothing to debate.

I love how install times say "30min. - 1 hr." Now my garage is definitely equipped well enough to handle almost any car installation so tools are not a problem.

6 hours later it's all done. What the hell. Instructions are never right. :( No one ever said you have to make squares fit in circle shaped ares.

Did you make or follow a DIY?

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

Pilsner posted:

Thanks for the advice (you and others who commented). I'm lookin' to read codes and reset the service light which is why I was looking at this tool. From what I've read the paperclip trick works to reset my E38.

On a side note, wtf is with the glove-box handles on these things? I've had the car less than a year and am about to install my third latch. Both of the others broke, seized the glove box, and spilled plastic guts when I tried to open 'em.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

Sterndotstern posted:

Did you make or follow a DIY?

I installed the same adapter albeit without the ashtray dock. The position of the ashtray vs. armrest wasn't conducive to using my iPhone on my E38. In my case the whole install was about two hours, so I'm guessing most of your hassle came from pulling apart the center console to get to the ashtray.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

wolrah posted:

I really like Axxis Ultimate for a street pad. They can often be had for less than the Jurid/Texar OEM pads (which are also just fine). Stick with OEM rotors.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

SlapActionJackson posted:

I really like Axxis Ultimate for a street pad. They can often be had for less than the Jurid/Texar OEM pads (which are also just fine). Stick with OEM rotors.

Seconding this suggestion, I've had this setup on my car for close to two years and have no complaints.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Has anyone with the early-style E36 been able to repaint those hideous plastic bumpers? Mine have spots with peeling and blemishes but it seems like paint stripper and a sander would be the wrong course of action on that kind of plastic. Any suggestions?

tesko.pk
May 7, 2009
What do you guys think of this E30?

http://calgary.en.craigslist.ca/cto/1552653515.html

The "mystery" problem is a bit daunting, but I really want to get my hands on an E30 or E34, I know I'll be sinking good money into it, but do want do want.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

tesko.pk posted:

The "mystery" problem is a bit daunting, but I really want to get my hands on an E30 or E34, I know I'll be sinking good money into it, but do want do want.

not a bad deal -- you'll certainly learn stuff trying to fix that

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

tesko.pk posted:

For $750 I would buy that in a heartbeat, depending on what the rust situation is at least.

It would be nice to know what the actual symptoms of this mystery problem are before buying though.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

McMadCow posted:

Has anyone with the early-style E36 been able to repaint those hideous plastic bumpers? Mine have spots with peeling and blemishes but it seems like paint stripper and a sander would be the wrong course of action on that kind of plastic. Any suggestions?

Two options:

1) Forever Black -- http://www.amazon.com/Forever-Black-Bumper-Trim-Dye/dp/B000FOIJXQ

2) Heat Gun -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-dtbBzky-s

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Sterndotstern posted:

Two options:

1) Forever Black -- http://www.amazon.com/Forever-Black-Bumper-Trim-Dye/dp/B000FOIJXQ

2) Heat Gun -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-dtbBzky-s

Thanks for this, but that's not quite what I'm looking for. The bumpers are actually coated with a grey paint. Appologies if I'm being too simple by linking for an example. I'll go on the assumption you don't know about the '92 bumpers.

The grey part isn't faded, it's actually black plastic painted that ugly grey for some reason known only to BMW. The chips in the paint show the black underneath. I want to color match the whole thing to the black of my body, but I want to get rid of- or at least even out- the coating that's on there now. Given that it's over the plastic, however, I'm reluctant to just go at it with paint stripper which would possibly eat it, or a sander which would mar it up.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Mine are actually painted black. With a brush. I guess the PO did it. It actually looks fine. I'll have to take a picture.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

revmoo posted:

Mine are actually painted black. With a brush. I guess the PO did it. It actually looks fine. I'll have to take a picture.

With a brush? Wow.

So is there any evidence of the old paint coming up or chips and whatnot underneath the new finish? Maybe I'm making too big of a deal about this and I should just have at it with the sander...

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.
Out with the old:

In with the new:

Well, technically I still have the old until I find a buyer. I waited patiently for 6 long months and I finally found one. It is incredible to drive and still looks quite stunning.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

ynotony posted:

Out with the old:

In with the new:

Well, technically I still have the old until I find a buyer. I waited patiently for 6 long months and I finally found one. It is incredible to drive and still looks quite stunning.

Where are you and how much do you want for your E36? What interior? Stick? Miles?

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

^^I sent you a PM.

While on the topic, what do you guys think a 1994 325i, 120k mi, 5-speed, Los Angeles car is worth? It's well maintained with most notably new tires and a new cooling system and service records for the last 40k miles. The interior is in great shape for its age (the back seat is literally flawless) and the exterior is good too except for the dent above the left headlight and small 16 year old wear and tear elements.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I would say about 3k, maybe a bit more if the interior really is flawless.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

OK I'm expecting in the $3-4k range. The rear really is flawless. The front is not, but I'd say ahead of the curve at least.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

two_beer_bishes posted:

My E30 started overheating last week.

While stopped, the gauge would slowly creep up to just above 1/2 mark (which is the normal level). While moving it doesn't go up anymore (and will go back to 1/2 as long as the heater was on full).

Yesterday I let it run up to normal temp while sitting in the garage and it would not overheat! If I cranked the heat on full it would actually go below 1/2 mark.

The fan clutch/thermostat/water pump are all less than 2yr old.

The hose circled here was ice cold for what seemed like a very long time after getting to operating temp (5min maybe?)

Update: I replaced the thermostat with a stock 80*C unit and also replaced the temp gauge sensor. I'm not having any overheat issues as far as I can tell, but the heater hose circled above still doesn't get warm even after 30min of driving. What else could cause this problem?

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ynotony posted:

OK I'm expecting in the $3-4k range.

This is fair -- I'd advertise at just under $4k and you'll get it sold.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Wow, pricing on the West Coast loving rules. Not fair. East would expect to pay anywhere from 4500-7000.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Just did the upper radiator hose on my E36, super easy job. someone had cranked the hose clamp down so far that it sprung a leak. I got tired of topping off coolant, so 12 bucks later it's fixed.

Bleeding is easy, I found that as long as you overfill the reservoir to the top and keep squeezing the hose and re-topping off you hardly even have to bleed the system. The hose sucks the coolant right in from a hole at the top of the reservoir.

Also, I think those orange/yellow boxes in the engine bay are for the turn signal blinkers.

Oh, and on price, I paid 2500$ for a 92 325i with 180k miles and a rough interior. Too much, but it's loving impossible to find 5-speed BMW's within 500 miles of here.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 17, 2010

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
These US prices make me cry. I'd be paying 6k+ for an e36 like that one. Or 20k for an e46 330 :(

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Here's something odd, my '92 has one touch up/down window function, where you just press the button for a sec and it runs full up/down. Only thing is this feature wasn't available until '94, according to the Bentley manual in two places.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

revmoo posted:

Here's something odd, my '92 has one touch up/down window function, where you just press the button for a sec and it runs full up/down. Only thing is this feature wasn't available until '94, according to the Bentley manual in two places.

The manual is correct, someone probably retrofitted your car when the window regulators went out.

Oh, and those orange boxes are for the airbag sensors. I think.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

revmoo posted:

Just did the upper radiator hose on my E36, super easy job. someone had cranked the hose clamp down so far that it sprung a leak. I got tired of topping off coolant, so 12 bucks later it's fixed.

Bleeding is easy, I found that as long as you overfill the reservoir to the top and keep squeezing the hose and re-topping off you hardly even have to bleed the system. The hose sucks the coolant right in from a hole at the top of the reservoir.

Also, I think those orange/yellow boxes in the engine bay are for the turn signal blinkers.

Oh, and on price, I paid 2500$ for a 92 325i with 180k miles and a rough interior. Too much, but it's loving impossible to find 5-speed BMW's within 500 miles of here.

My '92 325i with 180k miles, a rough interior, and a 5 speed was $1750 :smug:

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

revmoo posted:

My '92 has that as well. I didnt realize it wasn't stock!

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

Beach Bum posted:

Wow, pricing on the West Coast loving rules. Not fair. East would expect to pay anywhere from 4500-7000.

Seriously... I don't even drive regularly and I'd buy something like that for $3k just to have it. Whoever gets that is drat lucky.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

VacaGrande posted:

Seriously... I don't even drive regularly and I'd buy something like that for $3k just to have it. Whoever gets that is drat lucky.

I visited the Philly area over the holidays and I saw maaybe 1/10th of the bimmers that I see in the Bay Area, if even that. They're way more common out here, which is great for poor slobs like me who happen to want a cool old car.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
On my E36, if I'm checking the oil level and I wipe the stick and insert it and wait 20-30 secs, it shows exactly full. If I wait about 2 minutes the oil is all the way up the stick (to the top of the plastic). What gives?

This is on a cold engine btw.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

revmoo posted:

On my E36, if I'm checking the oil level and I wipe the stick and insert it and wait 20-30 secs, it shows exactly full. If I wait about 2 minutes the oil is all the way up the stick (to the top of the plastic). What gives?

You're supposed to check the level with the engine hot, but after it's been off for 2 minutes. This gives time for all the oil being circulated to find its way back to the sump. Ideally, after waiting 2 minutes, you want the oil to be sitting bang on the top mark.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'll give that a shot. I've always checked my cars with a cold engine, though I've never had differing results on a car before either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

revmoo posted:

Are you checking it with the engine running? I guess that might make it creep up the stick.

I check my E34 cold (and with the engine off of couse), it's the only thing gives a common measurement point, since you'll have oil still dripping down on an engine that's just been run. The manual says to either check it cold, or after it's been sitting for a while after being turned off. But still, you might as well check cold.

Pull the stick, wipe, insert fully, turn it 180 degrees back and forth for a second, then pull out and check.