Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Catbasketry
Jan 12, 2010

Last Emperor posted:

This game may have been for the MegaDrive and I can't remember much but the opening stage.

I believe it took place at a construction site with the character being your standard ninja. You moved right across the screen and fought various enemies and I think you had some limited ammo weapons like throwing knives and stuff.

May have been called Shinobi or something? Not much I know :(

I'm guessing you're thinking Revenge of Shinobi for the Sega Megadrive/Genesis. One of the levels was a junkyard, another was sort of a factory. The opening level was not this though, the opening level took place in a Japanese temple or village, filled with bamboo spike traps and such.

There's a good dozen of these sorts of ninja games though, and three Shinobi games for the Megadrive alone.

Catbasketry fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catbasketry
Jan 12, 2010

Genpei Turtle posted:

OK, here's one that's a long shot that maybe someone can tell me.

This game--or game-like program, was for the Apple II, though probably was available for other computers around the mid-late 80s. It was a "story maker" game, sort of like a choose-your-own-adventure game where you entered the characters' names (I think) and then chose from branching paths to finish the story. All in text, no graphics.

The thing different about this particular game is that when you finished choosing your paths, the game would spit out a long text file in narrative format for you to print out. It actually came with the pages you were supposed to print it out on and a hardback book covering that you could bind your finished story in.

I don't remember much more than that, except that I think the story itself was in a medieval fantasy/fairytale setting. Based on this alone I can't really find anything, especially given its age.

There was a Muppets program like this for the IIe, Kermit's Electronic Story Maker. I'm guessing you're not thinking that one, since you didn't mention Muppets. Still looking though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Catbasketry posted:

I'm guessing you're thinking Revenge of Shinobi for the Sega Megadrive/Genesis. One of the levels was a junkyard, another was sort of a factory. The opening level was not this though, the opening level took place in a Japanese temple or village, filled with bamboo spike traps and such.

There's a good dozen of these sorts of ninja games though, and three Shinobi games for the Megadrive alone.

The first two stages of Shadow Dancer do take place in a burning city and dilapidated city backdrop respectively.

Erasmus Darwin
Mar 6, 2001

Sour Fish posted:

1) When the PS3 was first annouced, they showed a trailer of this shooter game. It was set in a mall or some type of building with lots of pretty panes of glasses that were getting blown to pieces beautifully (too beautifully if I remember correctly..). What was that game called?

Could this be "Resistance: Fall of Man"? That was a fairly major launch title FPS for the PS3. It had a level set in a cathedral.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
This was a top-down fantasy RPG on the Sega Genesis. It reminds me of Ultima Online in the way it was presented (3 quarter view).

I really don't remember much of anything about this game. I went to a graveyard, found a dagger then tried to go to some mountains and fought some harpies? I don't know... i'm sure that's way off.

I've never been able to remember the name of this game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

nickhimself posted:

This was a top-down fantasy RPG on the Sega Genesis. It reminds me of Ultima Online in the way it was presented (3 quarter view).

I really don't remember much of anything about this game. I went to a graveyard, found a dagger then tried to go to some mountains and fought some harpies? I don't know... i'm sure that's way off.

I've never been able to remember the name of this game.

Although I don't remember if there are harpies in it, Dungeons and Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun looked almost exactly like Ultima VII.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

No, that's not it. I don't remember having other people in my party. Granted, I didn't play it for that long, but it was pretty hard and the game broke before I was able to play much of it (physically broke, I have no idea what happened but it got severely destroyed)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

nickhimself posted:

No, that's not it. I don't remember having other people in my party. Granted, I didn't play it for that long, but it was pretty hard and the game broke before I was able to play much of it (physically broke, I have no idea what happened but it got severely destroyed)

Well, only other 3/4 top down RPGs on the Genesis I can think of are Rings of Power, Light Crusader, and LandStalker.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable

Sour Fish posted:

1) When the PS3 was first annouced, they showed a trailer of this shooter game. It was set in a mall or some type of building with lots of pretty panes of glasses that were getting blown to pieces beautifully (too beautifully if I remember correctly..). What was that game called?

That would be Killing Day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap5DdDj0nsM

:crossarms: I'm not convinced that's actual gameplay...

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

Holistic Detective posted:

That would be Killing Day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap5DdDj0nsM

:crossarms: I'm not convinced that's actual gameplay...

Ahaha, thats so obviously pre rendered. It still looks like poo poo on top of it too.

HornyBoy123
Mar 4, 2005
I'm looking for a PC game where you started off hatching this animal with long ears (sort of monkey looking) in a incubator, then had to teach it basic skills.

It was a sidescroller, if that helps.

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy

Logite posted:

I'm looking for a PC game where you started off hatching this animal with long ears (sort of monkey looking) in a incubator, then had to teach it basic skills.

It was a sidescroller, if that helps.

Woohoo, I can finally help -- you are looking for the game Creatures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creatures_%28artificial_life_program%29

HornyBoy123
Mar 4, 2005

MrMoose posted:

Woohoo, I can finally help -- you are looking for the game Creatures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creatures_%28artificial_life_program%29

Exactly. Thanks~

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Catbasketry posted:

Probably was then although it seems certainly not Revenge as I remember that firs stage relatively clearly. Thanks though :)

I'll try and dig up some pictures, it was back when I sucked at games so I don't remember even getting past the first level.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Logite posted:

Exactly. Thanks~

FYI some of the Creatures games are available on Good Old Games.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I remember playing GTA4 at a friends house and there is a mission where you have to kidnap a 20 something year old girl. I cant remember the details but its a driving mission or something where you pick her up and initially she doesent realise whats going on.

I remember it specificly because it was a bitch and it took me a couple of retries. I just bought GTA4 for myself though, I'm halfway through the game and it hasnt come up at all. Was it even GTA4? Was it just a similar game, Saints Row and I've gotten confused or something?

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

I know there's definitely a mission like that in Saints Row where you pretend to be her Limo driver but it may also be in its sequel on GTA4 since it's been a while since I've played either.

But yes, there's definitely one like that in SR.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

An old, Myst-style puzzle game for the PC involving your character getting stuck on an island covered in Easter Island heads. One of the first puzzles involves tracing the markings off of a nearby rock.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

al-azad posted:

Well, only other 3/4 top down RPGs on the Genesis I can think of are Rings of Power, Light Crusader, and LandStalker.

None of those are it. It has a more zoomed out view than Light Crusader does.

I'm not destined to find this game ever again :(

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Three Red Lights posted:

I remember playing GTA4 at a friends house and there is a mission where you have to kidnap a 20 something year old girl. I cant remember the details but its a driving mission or something where you pick her up and initially she doesent realise whats going on.

I remember it specificly because it was a bitch and it took me a couple of retries. I just bought GTA4 for myself though, I'm halfway through the game and it hasnt come up at all. Was it even GTA4? Was it just a similar game, Saints Row and I've gotten confused or something?

It's GTA4. You do that mission on the third island (and there is also a very similar mission in Saints Row 2.)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

nickhimself posted:

None of those are it. It has a more zoomed out view than Light Crusader does.

I'm not destined to find this game ever again :(

Now I want to find this game out of principle. Only others I can think of are Sorcerer's Kingdom which had a few graphics that were isometric and Beggar Prince which is a recent release (2006) so it's probably not right.

There really aren't any other isometric RPGs on the Genesis and I can't remember any other isometric games on the system period.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I know, I don't understand why this game disappeared from the face of the earth.

I want to say it was published by EA but I could be wrong. I've searched through so many genesis roms but have never stumbled upon it :(

Edit: I may have found it... I've gotta check my ROMs but this may be it.

EDIT 2: YES! THIS IS IT! THANK YOU INTERNET!

nickhimself fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 17, 2010

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Okay, I,ve got a couple of hard ones. First of is a racing game, I think from the early 90's, since I remember playing a demo of it on our old computer with a 386 processor. You raced across various highways in America, and in the demo you controlled a red Lamborgini. It was 2.5D, the camera was behind the car. It had VGA colors, and all the drivers had these little, horribly pixelated portraits. Might have been from Apogee. I would like to remember the name of it, since it was the very first video game I ever played.

The second one is much harder. It was an arcade game, and you flew around in a plane, shooting at poo poo, and maybe doing stunts. You used a joystick to control it. If I remember correctly, you could play it in multiplayer against someone who was seeted in front of another screen, with his own joystick. I think you had to compete for points, and there was this announcer guy or something who liked a little like the Colonel from KFC. One of the plains you could fly was a Biplane.

For those that are from the Netherlands as well, I played this game somewhere in the mid-90's in Schiphol airport.

The third one was a Mario Kart clone for PC, played under DOS, and had little, cute animals instead of Italian plumbers. I remember playing it in battlemode against friends and having a lot of fun.

I don't excpect any of these to be found, but hey, it's worth a shot, right?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Okay, I,ve got a couple of hard ones. First of is a racing game, I think from the early 90's, since I remember playing a demo of it on our old computer with a 386 processor. You raced across various highways in America, and in the demo you controlled a red Lamborgini. It was 2.5D, the camera was behind the car. It had VGA colors, and all the drivers had these little, horribly pixelated portraits. Might have been from Apogee. I would like to remember the name of it, since it was the very first video game I ever played.

The second one is much harder. It was an arcade game, and you flew around in a plane, shooting at poo poo, and maybe doing stunts. You used a joystick to control it. If I remember correctly, you could play it in multiplayer against someone who was seeted in front of another screen, with his own joystick. I think you had to compete for points, and there was this announcer guy or something who liked a little like the Colonel from KFC. One of the plains you could fly was a Biplane.

For those that are from the Netherlands as well, I played this game somewhere in the mid-90's in Schiphol airport.

The third one was a Mario Kart clone for PC, played under DOS, and had little, cute animals instead of Italian plumbers. I remember playing it in battlemode against friends and having a lot of fun.

I don't excpect any of these to be found, but hey, it's worth a shot, right?

1. Lamborghini American Challenge
3. Wacky Wheels

E: The second one might be Wing War by Sega.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 18, 2010

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
^^^Holy gently caress, that was fast!
And yeah...you're correct in both of them. Holy poo poo dude, thanks! :tipshat:

EDIT:

Can't say for sure, but I think you are right yet again. It indeed looks like the game I remember. Seriously, thou must be a wizard!

A Worrying Warlock fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 18, 2010

al-azad
May 28, 2009

nickhimself posted:

I know, I don't understand why this game disappeared from the face of the earth.

I want to say it was published by EA but I could be wrong. I've searched through so many genesis roms but have never stumbled upon it :(

Edit: I may have found it... I've gotta check my ROMs but this may be it.

EDIT 2: YES! THIS IS IT! THANK YOU INTERNET!

Glad you found it because I never would have mentioned it. I passed it by every time thinking "It looks like Ultima VII but he rejected the D&D game... there is a graveyard but no mountain dwelling harpies as I recall..."

Tough game as well. There was a PC sequel rushed to the shelves and I think the dude who made it eventually released it as freeware. The sequel is gorgeous for its time and leagues better than the original and somewhat beatable.

Catbasketry
Jan 12, 2010

al-azad posted:

The first two stages of Shadow Dancer do take place in a burning city and dilapidated city backdrop respectively.

True, but Shadow Dancer had unlimited shuriken, he stated limited throwing knives. And he didn't mention the dog, so I assumed we were talking Revenge of Shinobi. Shinobi 3 also had construction zones, but it too started with a forest/temple level.

Catbasketry fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 18, 2010

Catbasketry
Jan 12, 2010
Still hoping someone can find info on the shooter level I mentioned, but while that's churning in brains, I've got others to ask about.

I remember a game, could be WoW (only played a few months, forgot most of it, got bored and left), but it could also be Starfox Adventures or Heretic 2 or Beyond Good and Evil. Could even be Unreal 2 or Wheel of Time for all i know.

There's a cave/cavern area (see, I got this thing with cave/cavern/mine areas in games all blending together). The entrance to the cave is relatively low down - once you enter it, the paths slowly wind up like slow ramps. There's a left path and a right path that both are filled with small creatures, kobolds, goblins, jawas, whatever, picking at the wall with pick axes. Once you get up one or either ramped path, you'll find a small pond inside the mountain/mine. Across this small pond is a small island with a mechanical object holding a large blue crystal or glass tube. I recall there being some sort of boss in it, like a genie or something. After you did whatever it was you had to with the blue crystal, you then went past it further into the mountain, into an underground lake area with several wooden walkways or planks floating in the water. You had to jump across the walkways and planks without falling in the toxic water.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Oh man, I forgot about this until today.

It was an original PSX game. It was a sort of action strategy game played on single screen levels, with either bombs or traps. It wasn't bomberman and didn't have a cartoonish look. It was sort of a puzzle game, sort of action-strategy. I think you played it on one player with a com partner against two com enemies. Sort of a futuristic game show type atmosphere.

GenoCanSing fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 18, 2010

al-azad
May 28, 2009

GenoCanSing posted:

It was an original PSX game. It was a sort of action strategy game played on single screen levels, with either bombs or traps. It wasn't bomberman and didn't have a cartoonish look. It was sort of a puzzle game, sort of action-strategy. I think you played it on one player with a com partner against two com enemies. Sort of a futuristic game show type atmosphere.

Sounds like Trap Gunner: Countdown to Oblivion.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

al-azad posted:

Sounds like Trap Gunner: Countdown to Oblivion.

Nope, this wasn't it. The one I'm thinking of had platforming and the camera was facing straight, not from above, original mario style.

Thanks though!

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I remember a game from the mid-late 90s for the pc where you were helping out a girl going through some military base/lab/whatever by being hooked up to the security cameras of the place, and could use things in the level (like activate the security turrets to gun down the baddies). I believe it was one of those full-motion-video things, but i could be mistaken. Then I remember breaking the disk (somehow)and never finishing it, then forgetting about it.

Erasmus Darwin
Mar 6, 2001

kannonfodder posted:

I remember a game from the mid-late 90s for the pc where you were helping out a girl going through some military base/lab/whatever

Critical Path

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Yes! Haha someone took all the "gameplay" and put it into youtube videos. So now I get to replay it via youtube!

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

al-azad posted:

Glad you found it because I never would have mentioned it. I passed it by every time thinking "It looks like Ultima VII but he rejected the D&D game... there is a graveyard but no mountain dwelling harpies as I recall..."

Tough game as well. There was a PC sequel rushed to the shelves and I think the dude who made it eventually released it as freeware. The sequel is gorgeous for its time and leagues better than the original and somewhat beatable.

Oh man, you're telling me. The difficulty on that game was ridiculous. I remember dying over and over again so early on...yet not caring. It was still fun!

Hurracan
Apr 29, 2009
OK, this thread got me thinking about a game I played on the Genesis at least 11 years ago. The cartridge I rented had a bad battery, so I couldn't save or make much progress on the rental.

It was top-down or 3/4ths-overhead, generic-fantasy adventure.
I remember fighting lizard-people in a swamp(?). There was some roleplaying element for progression that I remember being compelling.

I skimmed http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sega_Mega_Drive_games but none of the names popped out at me. I could just be going blind.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

GenoCanSing posted:

It's more of a future sport game with obstacles but could you be thinking of Blast Chamber?

Catbasketry posted:

A level starts you off in a big cavern on a large round pillar or platform. If you step off, there's nothing but a deep fall to your death. A waterfall comes down from up above over on one side. If you jump up some precarious rocks, you can get behind the waterfall (not through it, behind it) to a small secret area of ammo and health. A raise path or rope bridge leads from the central column to a mine shaft door opening. I believe in this mine shaft level you must find a key to run a rickety old mine elevator. In this level you ride briefly in a minecart, and enemies pass by in other minecarts to shoot at you. A deep cavern area requires a brutal jump across a bridge that the bad guys just blew up.

Ring any bells?

I haven't played them in ages but Wheel of Time? Turok? Dark Vengeance?

Hurracan posted:

I remember fighting lizard-people in a swamp(?). There was some roleplaying element for progression that I remember being compelling.

Sounds like Light Crusader but could be any of a few Genesis games such as Land Stalker, Hydlide or Crusader of Centy.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 18, 2010

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Here's an arcade game from the late 80s or early 90s:
Vertically-scrolling top-down space shooter. The big gimmick that makes it stand out is that you could pick up these things that let you make time go backwards for a few ticks. So if you were hit by an enemy shot and had enough of these things you could hammer the "time bomb" button until you were in a position to go in another direction and avoid it this time.
I recall one of the levels was a view down into a ravine, with the sides of it in perspective, with your ship flying along above it.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Ok, I got another one.

It's 1999 and I'm at a friend's house, he has I think a PS1, but it could maybe be a Dreamcast if those were out yet.

The game's a fighting game, with a pretty generic set of characters, like there's a ninja and some big overly muscled guys, and at least one chick in an improbably skimpy outfit completely unsuited to fighting. The big deal with it was that it was in a 3d arena that was pretty big, and both fighters were free to move around in it. This wasn't a terrible idea as there were pillars and such to hide behind, as all fighters had a variety of ranged attacks they could throw back and forth. This ranged combat aspect was fairly deep on its own, as the various ranged attacks would often have different behaviors as well (say, one takes real long to charge up but delivers massive damage, while another triggers immediately and fires a seeker missile type attack that does very little damage) making the ranged combat part as strategic as the hand-to-hand fighting.

One detail I'm absolutely certain of is that these various ranged attacks were accomplished by successive pressing of the four face buttons on the controller (square, circle, X, triangle, I guess, if I'm right it was PS1) and that any three-button combo would do *something* as a ranged attack, with square-square-square, circle-circle-circle, etc, doing distinct ranged attacks for each character. There may or may not have been additional ways of triggering attacks, but mashing any button three times always did some distinct ranged attack regardless of what character you played. Like mash the same button three times on the ninja, say, and he'd throw darts in one attack pattern. Mash a different button three times and he'd throw ninjastars or something that could home in on the foe.

The part where this gets nasty is that he had a modded version of whatever console it was and had a shitload of pirated games, and games that were never released in English from when he was stationed in Korea. I don't know that this game was pirated or in some foreign language for sure, but nor do I remember it specifically not being either of those. So for all I know it could be some Chinese game pirate's romhack of another game that was only ever released in Korea. Or, given that I didn't really do console gaming at the time, it could be something really obvious that was a huge hit at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hurracan posted:

OK, this thread got me thinking about a game I played on the Genesis at least 11 years ago. The cartridge I rented had a bad battery, so I couldn't save or make much progress on the rental.

I skimmed http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sega_Mega_Drive_games but none of the names popped out at me. I could just be going blind.

Warriors of the Eternal Sun, which I was trying to pass off earlier, does have a swamp, lizard men, 3/4 view, and it's a generic fantasy game!

quote:

Ok, I got another one.

It's 1999 and I'm at a friend's house, he has I think a PS1, but it could maybe be a Dreamcast if those were out yet.

Sounds like Power Stone.

• Locked thread