Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OpusD
Sep 7, 2003

I weep for the motherland.
I remember a movie from my childhood that had a family with a friendly protective cat. It was some kind of horror movie. It has to have been from the mid to late 80's I think. The family was attacked by a horde of evil cats that wanted to kill them. They had to barricade themselves in a room and I can remember the evil leader cat ripping up a pillow or something to get in the room. I also seem to remember evil "cat people" being in this movie too. Like hybrid cat-humans. Does this ring a bell for anyone? What was this movie called?

I tried google but it is failing me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life

OpusD posted:

I remember a movie from my childhood that had a family with a friendly protective cat. It was some kind of horror movie. It has to have been from the mid to late 80's I think. The family was attacked by a horde of evil cats that wanted to kill them. They had to barricade themselves in a room and I can remember the evil leader cat ripping up a pillow or something to get in the room. I also seem to remember evil "cat people" being in this movie too. Like hybrid cat-humans. Does this ring a bell for anyone? What was this movie called?

I tried google but it is failing me.

Cat people.
http://www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=cat+people
I thought this movie was awesome when I was a kid. And bonus Mother-son sex scene!

OpusD
Sep 7, 2003

I weep for the motherland.

Awesome Andy posted:

Cat people.
I thought this movie was awesome when I was a kid. And bonus Mother-son sex scene!

YES, I think this was it! I remember the friendly cat-girl in it too. Thank you good sir. She's like I'd gently caress you...but then I'd have to kill you!

Wow, I can't believe I put the movie name in parenthesis. I just wanted to emphasize the cat-people. I guess I fail at google.

OpusD fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jan 17, 2010

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Cat People also has a pretty great score by Giorgio Moroder.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Oddio posted:

I recently watched Synecdoche, New York; and I'd like to read the SA discussion on it, but I cannot find it.

Has it already hit the archives?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2944116 but I'm pretty sure it's archived.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3168853 is a shorter discussion that may not be archived.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What's the Western where the town gets a new sign calling it "Hellville" or something strange? It's a very weird movie with supernatural stuff.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
High Plains Drifter, with Clint Eastwood.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

Awesome Andy posted:

Cat people.

Weird, I really thought it was Steven King's Sleepwalkers which oddly enough also has a mother-son sex scene (if I recall correctly).

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life

KasioDiscoRock posted:

Weird, I really thought it was Steven King's Sleepwalkers which oddly enough also has a mother-son sex scene (if I recall correctly).

And it turns out this was the movie I remember from my youth.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

KasioDiscoRock posted:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of at first, too. The mother-son incest stuff in Sleepwalkers was pretty gross, but then the mother was Alice Krige in her sexy prime so I could see where the son was coming from.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Disco De Soto posted:

And when they want a horse, they just tape a bunch of cats together.

that's absolutely hilarious.

Regression
Nov 7, 2009
Perhaps a stupid question, but in Blade Runner why does Rachael ask Deckard if he's done the empathy test on himself? Does she suspect that he is a replica, and if so, why does she suspect that / how does she know that?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Regression posted:

Perhaps a stupid question, but in Blade Runner why does Rachael ask Deckard if he's done the empathy test on himself? Does she suspect that he is a replica, and if so, why does she suspect that / how does she know that?

I haven't seen the entire movie in years, but I believe this line comes at a point in the story shortly after Rachael herself has been tested (and it took much longer than normal, and she doesn't know what the result was). So, she is starting to question her own identity, which is a pretty frightening thing to contemplate, so it's logical that she'd rather challenge the accuracy of the Voight-Kampff test itself, and the supposed competence of the "man" who tested her. Note that earlier she also asks him if he's ever "retired" a human by mistake.

I think this is enough justification for Rachael's line. Whether she actually suspects Deckard of being a replicant, I couldn't say. I would have thought she would be more concerned with her own identity than with Deckard's. Besides, I don't know if it has any bearing on the story whether she does or not. All that matters is that she puts the question out there.

Regression
Nov 7, 2009

qntm posted:

I think this is enough justification for Rachael's line. Whether she actually suspects Deckard of being a replicant, I couldn't say. I would have thought she would be more concerned with her own identity than with Deckard's. Besides, I don't know if it has any bearing on the story whether she does or not. All that matters is that she puts the question out there.

Thanks for the reply, you might be right. The reason I find it important is that the question of is Deckard a replicant (if I remember correctly) is a major issue in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep - and I feel this very fascinating question didn't get enough "time" in the movie, apart from that one line of Rachael's.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Regression posted:

Thanks for the reply, you might be right. The reason I find it important is that the question of is Deckard a replicant (if I remember correctly) is a major issue in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep - and I feel this very fascinating question didn't get enough "time" in the movie, apart from that one line of Rachael's.
No, the novel doesn't suggest it even to the extent that the film does. There's a lot more exposition involving Deckard's conflicted feelings about his profession, but there's no implications beyond that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

qntm posted:

I haven't seen the entire movie in years, but I believe this line comes at a point in the story shortly after Rachael herself has been tested (and it took much longer than normal, and she doesn't know what the result was). So, she is starting to question her own identity, which is a pretty frightening thing to contemplate, so it's logical that she'd rather challenge the accuracy of the Voight-Kampff test itself, and the supposed competence of the "man" who tested her. Note that earlier she also asks him if he's ever "retired" a human by mistake.

It's actually significantly later in the movie, when she's beginning to come to terms with being a replicant and meets Deckard at his house. And she doesn't ask because she suspects he may be one too- she wants to know if he can relate to her experience. The test is "designed to provoke an emotional response", after all; real humans should feel emotions strong enough to produce involuntary physical reactions the machine can detect and replicants are revealed by their lack thereof. Perhaps she was hoping to be told that it's completely typical to be disturbed by the experience and reassured that she's still pretty close to human after all, or use that to go back into denial, but Deckard's fallen asleep.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 22, 2010

Regression
Nov 7, 2009

SubG posted:

No, the novel doesn't suggest it even to the extent that the film does. There's a lot more exposition involving Deckard's conflicted feelings about his profession, but there's no implications beyond that.

Huh, I guess I need to reread it.

Interesting analysis, haveblue.

Thanks all for the comments.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Regression posted:

I feel this very fascinating question didn't get enough "time" in the movie, apart from that one line of Rachael's.

No spoiler tags considering everything is debatable.

I'm not sure which version you saw, but the movie actually spends a whole lot of time on this issue. There are visual clues, like the glow in the eyes of replicants (watch and see if this ever happens to Deckard), the infamous dream sequence (how would Gaff know?), Deckard's collection of photographs, and a whole bunch of tiny clues which are debated and argued over endlessly by fans of the film (ex: is Gaff the actual Blade Runner and Deckard his puppet?).

LargeMaleDogOrHorse
Jan 8, 2010
I just watched Inglourious Basterds again the other day, and was wondering if it is ever explained what happens to the rest of the Basterds?

Aldo and Utivich live through to the end.

Omar and Donny- Kill Hitler, Go Boom.

Stiglitz and Wicki- Killed in the fuckin' basement.

Which leaves the following unaccounted for:
PFC Gerold Hirschberg
PFC Andy Kagan
PFC Michael Zimmerman
PFC Simon Sakowitz

Did I miss something? Or are we to assume they were killed offscreen through various misadventure?

Another thing my friends and I debated was Stiglitz's motivation. I was pretty sure there was no reason given for his murder-lust, apart from having unusually high levels of AWESOME in his system. I didn't miss anything there did I?

DevilOnYourShoulder
May 17, 2007
Tour guide on the road to damnation

LargeMaleDogOrHorse posted:

Another thing my friends and I debated was Stiglitz's motivation. I was pretty sure there was no reason given for his murder-lust, apart from having unusually high levels of AWESOME in his system. I didn't miss anything there did I?

There's a brief flashback scene in the bar where it shows him being whipped, presumably by SS.

LargeMaleDogOrHorse
Jan 8, 2010

DevilOnYourShoulder posted:

There's a brief flashback scene in the bar where it shows him being whipped, presumably by SS.

One of my mates raised that too, but I took it to be indicative of torture after he was captured. If the torture was his motivation, why was he tortured?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

LargeMaleDogOrHorse posted:

One of my mates raised that too, but I took it to be indicative of torture after he was captured. If the torture was his motivation, why was he tortured?

I was curious about that. It's not like the Nazi's didn't give people reasons to hate them. Maybe Hugo's family was killed by the SS, or he had a brother that died on the Eastern Front and he played the Nazi leadership of the army for it. There is a million different reasons.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.
Maybe he just saw through Third Reich propaganda and objected on a moral level.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Rake Arms posted:

Maybe he just saw through Third Reich propaganda and objected on a moral level.

This. That's all you really need to take from it. That and he was a stone-cold, badass killer.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Did Danny Glover have a stroke?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Did anyone make a thread for Legion?

Does...does anyone care?

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Wolfsheim posted:

Does...does anyone care?

No.

If they do care, then they really shouldn't.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Jay Dub posted:

No.

If they do care, then they really shouldn't.

I see all the new hits! Legion was no stupider than Book of Eli.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Well, based on the reaction on CD thus far, I kinda doubt a Legion thread would make it past two or three pages.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for books (or films for that matter) on filming techiniques. While I'm not planning on doing any directing myself, I'd really like to learn more about cinematic storytelling and its conventions.

I saw Film Directing Shot by Shot in a bookstore, and it looked like it had a lot of good information and plenty of graphical demonstrations. Has anyone read this or any other book they'd recommend?

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

Caddrel posted:

I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for books (or films for that matter) on filming techiniques. While I'm not planning on doing any directing myself, I'd really like to learn more about cinematic storytelling and its conventions.

I saw Film Directing Shot by Shot in a bookstore, and it looked like it had a lot of good information and plenty of graphical demonstrations. Has anyone read this or any other book they'd recommend?

It's probably not exactly what you're looking for but In the Blink of an Eye by famed editor Walter Murch is a really easy read and it talks a lot about how editing is used for storytelling, which honestly sometimes is more important than what was actually shot. A story can completely change from it's original intention in the editing stages.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Jay Dub posted:

Well, based on the reaction on CD thus far, I kinda doubt a Legion thread would make it past two or three pages.

Dammit man, we have to try!

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I was watching Aliens on the weekend and was wondering about why it looks the way it does. The way it's filmed and lit, it looked more like a low-budget TV movie than an actual film released in cinemas. Especially an early scene where that armoured tank thing is revealed, it looked more like a prop than an actual functional vehicle.

Can anyone explain this? I know it's directed by James Cameron, was it a stylistic choice of his, or is it the norm for a sci-fi/action film from the 1980s?

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

Does...does anyone care?

I'm thinking about seeing it. I'm a sucker for Biblical Apocalypses.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Creature posted:

is it the norm for a sci-fi/action film from the 1980s?

It's this. Aliens was seven years before Jurassic Park, it was all practical effects and there was no digital compositing or anything fancy like that.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Creature posted:

I was watching Aliens on the weekend and was wondering about why it looks the way it does. The way it's filmed and lit, it looked more like a low-budget TV movie than an actual film released in cinemas. Especially an early scene where that armoured tank thing is revealed, it looked more like a prop than an actual functional vehicle.

Can anyone explain this? I know it's directed by James Cameron, was it a stylistic choice of his, or is it the norm for a sci-fi/action film from the 1980s?

You're kidding right?
The film has bar none some of the best practical effects ever committed to film. The entire end fight was done with two life sized puppets and to me never once look anything but completely believable.

If you're referring purely to the lighting and "look" then i guess its a subjective thing as i never once thought that.

lunacy booth
Jan 24, 2010

Nutsngum posted:

If you're referring purely to the lighting and "look" then i guess its a subjective thing as i never once thought that.

Agreed, i don't see anything wrong with the "look" and to be honest in the environment that its set in (terraformed planet) I think bright sunshine would of looked out of place.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Creature posted:

You're not going to get much of a response with hyperbole (seriously, I've seen everything Sci-Fi throws out on Saturday evenings and they don't aspire to reach that bar). Low budget TV movie, seriously?

More to the point, the film is a mix of practical miniatures and life size mockups. I know the lifesize stuff of the APC was built on an aircraft carrier utility vehicle. For a lot of the rest you're looking at the old school bigatures and optical compositing. It's got rough edges like most special effects but many consider it to be quite convincing even by modern standards. It doesn't change them being special effects though so they might not be totally convincing to more modern eyes.

I make it a point to appreciate different levels of appreciation but you've honestly got the only severely negative opinion of special effects in Aliens I've ever come across.

hog wizard
Feb 16, 2005

by angerbeet
^^^ Some people are either too young to have even seen sfx in Aliens as good at the time or they've just been spoiled by movies like Avatar and District 9. Speaking of which...

NeuroticErotica posted:

Problem is Blomkamp in his shorts has shown amazing prowess for effects, but doesn't tell a story in any of them.

I doubt District 9 will be a success.
I was browsing through the thread from page 1, noticed that it was from a long time ago and just wanted to post this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ortsacras
Feb 11, 2008
12/17/00 Never Forget

hog wizard posted:

I was browsing through the thread from page 1, noticed that it was from a long time ago and just wanted to post this.

There should be a thread for "old posts that are now seen as hilariously wrong." The Star Trek thread, the Avatar thread(s), and the Transformers 2 thread would be absolute gold mines for that kind of thing.