Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Which makes no sense as he appears in X2 and X3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I think the plan was with the Maverick Hunter X series was to re-tool the story so that it made some sense. I heard that they were going to put X2 and X3 as the same game.
Shame that never happened, I really liked the PSP games.

Orcasword
Jan 2, 2009

Cydonia posted:

I think the plan was with the Maverick Hunter X series was to re-tool the story so that it made some sense. I heard that they were going to put X2 and X3 as the same game.
Shame that never happened, I really liked the PSP games.

They were going to come out right after the first Maverick Hunter X, but since it sold poorly along with Powered Up, I think they're trying to rethink how they can make more remakes.(i.e. on a platform that will net more profit instead of PSP) Where did you hear X2 and X3 were going to be one game? That's pretty interesting, would that mean there'd be 16 Mavericks to fight?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
If that was really going to happen, it would have been pretty interesting. The only way we will get more X games that played like the original without five hundred extra pointless mechanics and characters is if the plot was re-written completely to allow for it. I consider what happened to Mega man X to be almost like what happened to the Sonic the Hedgehog series.

Czar Like Stick
Jul 8, 2004

by mons all madden

Yonic Symbolism posted:

If that was really going to happen, it would have been pretty interesting. The only way we will get more X games that played like the original without five hundred extra pointless mechanics and characters is if the plot was re-written completely to allow for it. I consider what happened to Mega man X to be almost like what happened to the Sonic the Hedgehog series.

Hear, hear. I really wish the later MMX games had stuck to the same formula as the first three. They started with drat near perfect games in X1-X3 and started adding crap that just bogged the games down.

That said, X8 was probably the best X game in years when it came out, but after X6 and X7 that wasn't hard. I wish they'd pull a MM9&10 and make another X game like the SNES ones.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Orcasword posted:

They were going to come out right after the first Maverick Hunter X, but since it sold poorly along with Powered Up, I think they're trying to rethink how they can make more remakes.(i.e. on a platform that will net more profit instead of PSP) Where did you hear X2 and X3 were going to be one game? That's pretty interesting, would that mean there'd be 16 Mavericks to fight?

It was years ago on some Mega Man website, I think Atomic Fire or something. They should've re-released those on the PS2 like other PSP games or the Gamecube, there is a market for them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Czar Like Stick posted:

Hear, hear. I really wish the later MMX games had stuck to the same formula as the first three. They started with drat near perfect games in X1-X3 and started adding crap that just bogged the games down.

That said, X8 was probably the best X game in years when it came out, but after X6 and X7 that wasn't hard. I wish they'd pull a MM9&10 and make another X game like the SNES ones.

It would be REALLY REALLY NICE if they supported that Megaman X Corruption dude, but sadly not all companies work like Valve does. Capcom could learn a thing or twenty from them.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Caligasti posted:

There is some things I've been wondering about the Mega Man X series. I've beaten MMX 1 through 6, never finished 7 and haven't played 8 nor got into the Mega Man Zero games. Anyway, even though it may not be all that important; What the hell ever became of Dr. Kane?

Oh well. As far as any sort of closure (granted I'd be okay if Mega Man never ended at all) I'd like to see it if it turned out Wily had pulled the same "Turing Image" or "Conciousness Upload" that Dr. Light did and basically comes back from the grave to mess poo poo up as some sort of Wily Matrix or something. Hell, he did create Zero and the Virus, right? So he's already done that sort of damage.

Outside of dying in Maverick Hunter X, Dr Cain kinda vanishes between X3 and X4 with no explanation. Hell, the last time his name is even mentioned is in the X4 instruction manual which refers to Cain Labs(Outside of Megaman Xtreme, but that takes place between X2 and X3) Chances are he died off-plot and it's just never brought up though.

As for Wily...

That one interview I linked on the previous page posted:

6) What happened to Dr. Wily in Rockman X series? Are Dr. Wily and Dr. Weil the same person? Were they ever supposed to be?

KI: A large amount of time has passed between the classic series and Mega Man X. Dr. Wily had died in the interim but was brought back by the virus. Dr. Wily and Weil are not the same person. It is ironic though, because Dr. Wily created Zero, and Dr. Weil used Zero, but ultimately it was a copy of Zero's original body with a different mind that defeated him.

X5 pretty much flat out tells the player that Wily's still around. And as far as known Light just created fairly intelligent capsules, which is not too surprising given his past creations. He somehow did manage to make an assload of them though.

I'd love to see Maverick Hunter X2 showing up someday. Maybe as a Wiiware title using the Classic/GC Controller. It'd also be a great chance to finally fix up the plot.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Captain Invictus posted:

It would be REALLY REALLY NICE if they supported that Megaman X Corruption dude, but sadly not all companies work like Valve does. Capcom could learn a thing or twenty from them.

Let's just be thankful that Capcom will never pull a Square enix and order a C&D on a fan project when it's about 90% done.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Caligasti posted:

Oh well. As far as any sort of closure (granted I'd be okay if Mega Man never ended at all) I'd like to see it if it turned out Wily had pulled the same "Turing Image" or "Conciousness Upload" that Dr. Light did and basically comes back from the grave to mess poo poo up as some sort of Wily Matrix or something. Hell, he did create Zero and the Virus, right? So he's already done that sort of damage.

Remember Serges from X2, Isoc/Issac from X6, or Sigma mentioning meeting an old man in X5? Wily pretty much did just that, the series was just really subtle about it.

Edit: Beaten, that's what I get for not noticing there was another page.

Dresh fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 17, 2010

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TaurusOxford posted:

Let's just be thankful that Capcom will never pull a Square enix and order a C&D on a fan project when it's about 90% done.

The difference between this and Chrono Resurrection is this one isn't being used as a demo for this guy's company's new gaming engine.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 17, 2010

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
What's Square's excuse for shutting down this one then: http://ds.kombo.com/article.php?artid=7141

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
they're a bunch of douches

Square-Enix is the Games Workshop of video games

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

they're a bunch of douches

Square-Enix is the Games Workshop of video games
To be fair, the romhack you linked there was pretty crappy, if I recall the thread we had on it in Games a while back.

Vetinari
Mar 25, 2006

by Fistgrrl

TaurusOxford posted:

What's Square's excuse for shutting down this one then: http://ds.kombo.com/article.php?artid=7141

There's been debate whether or not this is true at all. Leaked copies of that "98 percent done hack" have shown it wasn't nearly that close. And rumor has is the guys working on it just gave up but wanted to save face, so they created the CnD. Some extremely obsessive nerds actually followed up and contacted SE themselves and got denials that such a CnD was sent.

It is very odd for SE to be so protective of the CT franchise but not the FF franchise as FF has TONS of remakes, roms, fan hacks, etc.

Vetinari
Mar 25, 2006

by Fistgrrl

Dresh posted:

Remember Serges from X2, Isoc/Issac from X6, or Sigma mentioning meeting an old man in X5? Wily pretty much did just that, the series was just really subtle about it.

I've always liked this theory. It's clever and makes the MMX storyline a little bit less randomly cobbled together.

However, given that Inafune is gone, whatever vision he originally had may be gone now. :(

Czar Like Stick
Jul 8, 2004

by mons all madden
I love the hell out of the original X storyline. Sure it's kind of cliche, but it's very old-school sci-fi in a way that appeals to me. X1 is about robots becoming self-aware (thanks to the father/sage figure of the original series) and performing genocide, with the original model of their species becoming the hero of the human defense because he feels guilty about being the "Adam" to a series that brought so much destruction. X2, 3, 4 and 5 all hint the lovable cartoon villain from the original series finally won in a sense by creating the computer virus that caused it all to happen, and we find out the hero's best friend and ally is the Typhoid Mary that spread the virus in the first place.

After that it goes all to poo poo. X5 had a couple real problems story-wise as I see it: first, there shouldn't have been any more X games after it, but that's not Inafune's fault. Second, totally my opinion but X5 needed to end with Zero as the last boss. Bringing back Sigma again was a pretty stupid decision.

As far as X9... they said X8 was the end of Sigma. My guess is they were setting up Axl as the next villain at the end of X8. Whether we even get an X9... who loving knows at this point. I kind of wish they'd just reboot the series with Inafune back at the helm.

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

Chronologically Sigma is gone after X8 since we don't see him in Command Mission, but you know Capcom could just make another game that takes place in between any of the games or just use the copy chips again. I wouldn't give a poo poo though, i'll play all of 'em as long as they aren't like X7.

Orcasword
Jan 2, 2009

Czar Like Stick posted:

As far as X9... they said X8 was the end of Sigma. My guess is they were setting up Axl as the next villain at the end of X8. Whether we even get an X9... who loving knows at this point. I kind of wish they'd just reboot the series with Inafune back at the helm.

Axl as the main villain? Ick. Although it would be nice to kill him off since he's done next to nothing for the series. Hey here's some kid reploid who has no past or memories wooooooooooo. Also, we're never going to bother explaining him!

I kinda wish (as much as I like X5 as a game) they had ended at X4 for a while, since all the X games after that are so...conclusive. Too conclusive to say...make an new SNES styled MegaMan X game. X5 has Eurasia crashing to the Earth and Zero dying (sort of) again. X6 has the Earth as a barren wasteland. That's not much fun. X7 introduces Axl. X8 kills off Sigma (gah) and makes copy-chips the center of attention for the series instead of something relevant like, you know, the only meaningful plot point of X and Zero built by Light and Wily thus they have to kill each other eventually, or adunno maybe Axl's origin or SOMETHING. I also feel like if they do a new 16 bit MegaMan X obviously X and Zero would be playable, but putting Axl into the mix almost thows off the old school-ness of it. Axl is so....new school.

Orcasword fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 30, 2012

Bigopinion
May 26, 2006

EAT THE HEART TO
GAIN ITS POWERS
Am I the only one that liked the ZX games? They felt and played like an easier X game and I kind of liked that instead of taking a power from a boss you literally turn into them or a slight variation of them.

Zero games too, though it's been a while since I've played them. Harder than ZX but easier than X games. I kind of like to think ZX was sort of geared at bringing new fans into the franchise but that's just me.

...and Legends series too, though I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that enjoyed those. In Capcom Unity's Mega Man party thing they threw towards the end of 09 they asked about the possibility of a Rockman Dash 3 right off the bat and Inafune gave the same "well maybe" poo poo answer as usual.

Yeah I got really hype about that Mega Man party they broadcast live cause they ended up asking Inafune a question I submitted to Unity. I got namedropped to Inafune :aaaaa: but nobody cares about that so whatever!

Bigopinion fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 17, 2010

Czar Like Stick
Jul 8, 2004

by mons all madden
Yeah, Legends feels like a trilogy missing its concluding act at this point. Too bad since the first two were so good.

I need to pick up the first ZX since I finally have a DS. The only MM series I haven't liked is Battle Network so it sounds like a pretty good bet.

Bigopinion
May 26, 2006

EAT THE HEART TO
GAIN ITS POWERS
I'm kind of iffy about both ZX and the newer ZXA, can't really recommend one over the other. I almost want to say ZXA is better, but there are some things ZX does right that ZXA doesn't and vice-versa. For instance ZX's map system is some insane bullshit nonsense but its gameplay is slightly more difficult than ZXA; ZXA is slightly easier overall but is also much easier to navigate and progress through.

Also it's implied that X and Zero are "in" ZX whereas Axl is more the focus of ZXA, so if you have a beef with the new guy definitely pick up ZX. But that's a really vague plot point to give the games a semblance of continuity between the X and ZX series so it's really not that important.

Bigopinion fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 17, 2010

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Orcasword posted:

Axl as the main villain? Ick. Although it would be nice to kill him off since he's done next to nothing for the series. Hey here's some kid reploid who has no past or memories wooooooooooo. Also, we're never going to bother explaining him!

I liked the way they handled that in ZXA.

Gray: Gee, I don't have any past or memories.
Plot: That's because you were just turned on for the first time, dipshit.

Bigopinion posted:

Also it's implied that X and Zero are "in" ZX whereas Axl is more the focus of ZXA, so if you have a beef with the new guy definitely pick up ZX.

I don't think that's fair. The plot made it clear that there was no connection between model A and Axl.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 17, 2010

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bigopinion posted:

Also it's implied that X and Zero are "in" ZX whereas Axl is more the focus of ZXA, so if you have a beef with the new guy definitely pick up ZX. But that's a really vague plot point to give the games a semblance of continuity between the X and ZX series so it's really not that important.

I recall Oyster saying a while back in one of his Megaman marathon streams that(despite appearances) Model A actually stand for Model Albert, not Axl, and that Capcom has declared X7 and X8 not canon in the X series.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

I recall Oyster saying a while back in one of his Megaman marathon streams that(despite appearances) Model A actually stand for Model Albert, not Axl, and that Capcom has declared X7 and X8 not canon in the X series.

Yeah, Model A is designed to make you think "Hey, this is this Axl" and then the big reveal is, nope, it's some other guy.

Orcasword
Jan 2, 2009

Bigopinion posted:

Yeah I got really hype about that Mega Man party they broadcast live cause they ended up asking Inafune a question I submitted to Unity. I got namedropped to Inafune :aaaaa: but nobody cares about that so whatever!
Hey, me too! Too bad we didn't win poo poo for it. :/

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

TaurusOxford posted:

Capcom has declared X7 and X8 not canon in the X series.

Source

I need closure :ohdear:

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
Wait, so this means Tornado Tonion doesn't actually exist?

Bigopinion
May 26, 2006

EAT THE HEART TO
GAIN ITS POWERS

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, Model A is designed to make you think "Hey, this is this Axl" and then the big reveal is, nope, it's some other guy.

Yeah that's why I was thinking it was Axl!! I guess I didn't get that far into the game to figure that one out, I kinda got bored 2/3rds of the way through ZXA. :( He might as well be Axl though, gently caress. "Hi I'm an old spirit from long long long ago and I have the power to copy anyone's abilities and transform into them! Also I know about X and Zero."

Sounds like Axl to me! I had no idea, that's pretty lovely.

Consequently it makes me want to go play ZXA through to completion to figure out what the hell is actually going on there.

Orcasword posted:

Hey, me too! Too bad we didn't win poo poo for it. :/

Woah, awesomee. Goons are smart heh :hfive: I've been thinking about mailing them about it but they'll probably be like "heh I don't know what you're talking about bro thanks for being part of Unity! :jerkbag:" I don't really care, just having it done is good enough for me. Though they kept talking like they were gonna give away those drawings that kept saying "we can't hold on for these for too long or we'll want to keep them, these are for the fans!!"

Chances are they're sitting in Ben Judd's office or something ugh :colbert:

Bigopinion fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 18, 2010

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

TaurusOxford posted:

and that Capcom has declared X7 and X8 not canon in the X series.

This is simply not true. There's no material stating this anywhere, and it'd have been all over the fansites if it was. Hell, even if it was mentioned in an obscure sourcebook the fandom would have been all over it.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I always liked this picture

also the protomen just came out with a rock opera apparently

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Bigopinion posted:

Consequently it makes me want to go play ZXA through to completion to figure out what the hell is actually going on there.

I'd really recommend it. I don't understand why so many people don't consider it such a great game.

wigtrade.cc posted:

Do you mean The Father of Death, or is there another one out?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I'd like to just step out and defend the Battle Network series since I have not seen one positive post about it in this thread.

Well, alright, maybe not so positive. I'm not a big JRPG guy and I hate kid protagonists, and not much for having plots in games in general unless it's Mother 3, and the dungeon gimmicks were completely inane so everything but the Battle System sucked IMO. (Though the first three games had the best plot)

But the battle system was loving amazing.

Unlike most JRPGs, there is no need to grind, because you can dodge and shoot in real time. Thus, you can finish any battle, but it will take a long time without the right guns. The faster you finish a battle, the better the rewards you get out of it. Finishing a battle quickly (unless you are using a certain game breaker from BN2) is not just a matter of choosing a huge gun and firing it, because the guns you get every round are randomized, and enemies in different areas have different weaknesses and probably need different folders.

Thus building folders and customizing the main character becomes very interesting strategically. Choosing the guns for the next round can be intense, as you wonder if you will be able to make the hit, etc. I can imagine it being boring if you're satisfied with letting every battle drag out for 10 seconds and make no attempt at a strategic folder.

Also, whether you're fighting a boss or just enemies you can always mess with the terrain and with objects on the playing field in clever ways.

tl;dr, it's intense, customizable, grindless, rewards cleverness and strategy and solves most of the problems I've had with other JRPGs.

It wasn't Megaman jumping on platforms but does everything have to be?
E: this might seems awkward because I am really not feeling good right now

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 18, 2010

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Schwarzwald posted:

I'd really recommend it. I don't understand why so many people don't consider it such a great game.

Do you mean The Father of Death, or is there another one out?

yeah father of death

Bigopinion
May 26, 2006

EAT THE HEART TO
GAIN ITS POWERS

wigtrade.cc posted:

As someone who was at the Act II premiere show I can assure you it owns and is far different from Act I than anyone expected in the best ways possible :smug:

Monk E
May 19, 2009

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I'd like to just step out and defend the Battle Network series since I have not seen one positive post about it in this thread.

Well, alright, maybe not so positive. I'm not a big JRPG guy and I hate kid protagonists, and not much for having plots in games in general unless it's Mother 3, and the dungeon gimmicks were completely inane so everything but the Battle System sucked IMO. (Though the first three games had the best plot)

But the battle system was loving amazing.

Unlike most JRPGs, there is no need to grind, because you can dodge and shoot in real time. Thus, you can finish any battle, but it will take a long time without the right guns. The faster you finish a battle, the better the rewards you get out of it. Finishing a battle quickly (unless you are using a certain game breaker from BN2) is not just a matter of choosing a huge gun and firing it, because the guns you get every round are randomized, and enemies in different areas have different weaknesses and probably need different folders.

Thus building folders and customizing the main character becomes very interesting strategically. Choosing the guns for the next round can be intense, as you wonder if you will be able to make the hit, etc. I can imagine it being boring if you're satisfied with letting every battle drag out for 10 seconds and make no attempt at a strategic folder.

Also, whether you're fighting a boss or just enemies you can always mess with the terrain and with objects on the playing field in clever ways.

tl;dr, it's intense, customizable, grindless, rewards cleverness and strategy and solves most of the problems I've had with other JRPGs.

It wasn't Megaman jumping on platforms but does everything have to be?
E: this might seems awkward because I am really not feeling good right now

I’ve always loved the original exe games for those reasons and because it had quite possibly some of the best enemy designs out of any game i’ve played, it seemed like the designers went out of their way to make sure that every normal enemy you fought had some kind of gimmick that separated it from the rest of the crowd and that every boss required more strategy then just just shooting at it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Captain Invictus posted:

I got it, I know what Commando Man reminded me of. The Angry Old Air Conditioner from The Brave Little Toaster.

edit: hopefully you see what I mean with this handy mirroring of half of Commando Man :v:

He looks exactly like the guy in this picture from that lovely Transfomers Animated cartoon.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

raditts posted:

He looks exactly like the guy in this picture from that lovely Transfomers Animated cartoon.

Shut up I loved that cartoon

E: vvv He died the last episode so it's good

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 18, 2010

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Shut up I loved that cartoon

giant robots can't be ninjas (far left), its a bad show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
It was vaguely entertaining, but even though it was a pretty good lovely cartoon you can't deny that it was a lovely cartoon. The animation budget seemed to consist of whatever loose change the producers could dig out from under their couch cushions.