Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
Craigslist the three to fund a new one, or have a pizza?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Just add more padding yourself. Messing with the fluffy padding in a helmet can't do much to hinder its ability to protect in a crash.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You can go up a liner/cheekpad sizes, depending on shell size.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

Old man jackets are the best jackets to rep on motards. Not hugely protective, but you'll be fine with a upper body under armor setup. Nice jacket :) Mine is from my g/f's dad, who rode before he passed away...it's classy as gently caress.

I've seen a guy at the track with this jacket.
http://www.vansonleathers.com/dw/prod/jacket/c2-c2r.html (or something very similar)

I want an 80's cruiser jacket, and some 70's MX boots.
http://www.classicboots.com/moto/details/70s01.htm

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Those boots are badass as gently caress.

Here's a gear question for you sumo riders...how do you handle wearing down the soles of your boots? I know some of the sumo stuff has replaceable heels, but I'd imagine if you dab your foot with any regularity, you're going to burn through your soles in no time. Do they make boots with sliders on the bottom?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I just try to keep my foot off the ground.

They do make boots with heel sliders, but I've heard mixed reviews. Some people find that the sliders get in the way when your foot is on the peg. I've also heard of people making diy heel sliders attached to the sole with screws.

You could try heelys.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
SIDI SRS have replaceable soles, and the A* Tech7(?)'s SM's have replaceable sole sliders.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Just get a pair of those badass metal foot plates flat-trackers (used to?) wear. Bonus points if they make you spark like a fiend on corners.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
What do you guys think of Shift Leather Jackets? This seems like a pretty good deal to me...

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/hot+deals/weekly+specials/shift_primer+leather+jacket+-+black

I'm looking for a vintage and/or understated leather jacket. Any other suggestions?

M.C. McMic fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 17, 2010

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

M.C. McMic posted:

What do you guys think of Shift Leather Jackets? This seems like a pretty good deal to me...

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/hot+deals/weekly+specials/shift_primer+leather+jacket+-+black

I'm looking for a vintage and/or understated leather jacket. Any other suggestions?

Go for it. What size are you? I've always liked this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ICON...lQ5fMerchandise

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Here are my current jacket/helmets. My all white HJC helmet is MIA. That's okay because everyone called me 'spaceballs' when I wore it.

Teknic Violator jacket and KBC helmet. My favorite jacket by far. It's getting a little snug, though. It has a ton of armor in it, it's heavy, and it's warm. The helmet is old and has a pressure point on my forehead so I almost never wear it.

My new Scorpion helmet. ICON textile jacket. Bought this a few years ago, it looks cool because it's white. Parking lot posing duty, or when it's really, really hot. Virtually no protection with this thing, it's like wearing a mesh sweatshirt. It had elbow pad inserts but I can't fit my forearms in the sleeves so I took them out. I took most of the faggy patches off the thing when I got it.

If you buy a white jacket, just remember that you will have to wash it every other ride. You know all the bugs you get on your helmet? There you go. This jacket usually looks gray or camouflage when I'm wearing it.

River Road jacket. First jacket I bought, probably 8-9 years ago. It was way too big when I first got it, but now it fits okay. Not much for armor or anything inside it, and it's HOT in the summer. It's black and it doesn't breathe. Saved my rear end one time when I t-boned a car (not my fault), you can see the scuffs on the back.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ohwandernearer posted:

From what I understand of physiology, this thing might help go from "definitely dead" to "vegetable."

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Bob Morales posted:

Go for it. What size are you? I've always liked this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ICON...lQ5fMerchandise

That's a pretty cool jacket. Maybe I'll look into it. Is Icon a good brand? I think I read a disparaging comment about it on the first page.

(I'm a Large, by the way)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

Looooow.

Also :laffo: at the picture name.

M.C. McMic posted:

That's a pretty cool jacket. Maybe I'll look into it. Is Icon a good brand? I think I read a disparaging comment about it on the first page.

There's nothing really wrong with Icon gear, but it's not top of the line either. It's firmly midrange, and has a huge stunter/wheelies in traffic douchebag rep. They make the standard issue stunter field armor vest. But gear that you'll wear is infinitely better than gear that's going to spend it's time in the closet.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Z3n posted:

There's nothing really wrong with Icon gear, but it's not top of the line either. It's firmly midrange, and has a huge stunter/wheelies in traffic douchebag rep. They make the standard issue stunter field armor vest. But gear that you'll wear is infinitely better than gear that's going to spend it's time in the closet.

I'm looking at some of the Vanson jackets now. They're drat sexy and pretty much in line with what I was thinking.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

M.C. McMic posted:

If you buy their leather jackets, they're fine. If you buy their mesh jackets, they're poo poo just like almost every other textile jacket out there.

Joe Rocket has some decent stuff for low prices.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Bob Morales posted:

If you buy their leather jackets, they're fine. If you buy their mesh jackets, they're poo poo just like almost every other textile jacket out there.

Joe Rocket is pretty great, considering getting a pair of their boots and gloves as well as the jacket and pants.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Bob Morales posted:

I have a joe rocket mesh jacket, it served me well in my first crash, and I bought a replacement. Tragically, the zipper on the liner broke, but it's not really a problem, because the outer zipper has me covered.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Posting up some love for my Joe Rocket Ballistic 8.0 jacket and 7.0 pants. I got them for Christmas and finally got a chance to ride with them today. They kept me quite comfortable while wearing only a t-shirt and long underarmor pants underneath in ~45F weather.

Further love for my Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 mesh jacket that I wear in the Summer. It's kept me warm at ~55F with the "liner" in and a thin fleece underneath it and as cool as you can be while wearing a jacket in 100F+ weather.

My only complaint with Joe Rocket stuff is that they use snaps to adjust the arm and waist sizing (the Ballistic 8.0 jacket uses Velcro in the waist adjustments, snaps in the sleeve adjusters). I would imagine that snaps would be wont to pop open upon impacting the Earth, but, thankfully, I have yet to put my theory to the test. My only other complaint with Joe Rocket is that apparently they base their arm lengths on great apes and not humans. I'm not built like a T-rex and yet their elbow and forearm armor hits me a good 2"-3" low when standing. Sure, it sits right when I'm on the bike, but when I need that armor for protection I won't be sitting on the bike.

The long and short of it is that Joe Rocket makes decent gear for the price range they compete in that will protect you in a single crash, but you truly get what you pay for.

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 19, 2010

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

The buttons are like, right next to each other, man.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

frozenphil posted:

My only other complaint with Joe Rocket is that apparently they base their arm lengths on great apes and not humans. I'm not built like a T-rex and yet their elbow and forearm armor hits me a good 2"-3" low when standing.pay for.

I actually went with Joe Rocket when I heard this elsewhere but found my forearms to be too small to leave the snaps undone, but too big to do the snaps without a lot of effort. Would that leave me fitting (in that area) other brands better? The rest of the jacket fits perfectly.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

frozenphil posted:

My only other complaint with Joe Rocket is that apparently they base their arm lengths on great apes and not humans. I'm not built like a T-rex and yet their elbow and forearm armor hits me a good 2"-3" low when standing. Sure, it sits right when I'm on the bike, but when I need that armor for protection I won't be sitting on the bike.

You will go fetal when you crash and the jacket will fit correctly. They're for riding, not lounging around in.

I have the biggest pet peeve with people wearing bike jackets like a regular jacket :argh:

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

Bob Morales posted:

I have the biggest pet peeve with people wearing bike jackets like a regular jacket :argh:

I wear my old "casual" leather bike jacket as an everyday jacket, sans armor of course. After I picked up my Olympia jacket, I stopped wearing anything else on the bike.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

frozenphil posted:

My only complaint with Joe Rocket stuff is that they use snaps to adjust the arm and waist sizing (the Ballistic 8.0 jacket uses Velcro in the waist adjustments, snaps in the sleeve adjusters).

I'm never buying JR again as long as they are using those stupid snaps. I've had mine undone while bending my elbow before. I've had the rubber the snap sits on completely tear in two once, and the other snaps on both my jackets were showing signs of tearing in the same spots.

That said, I do kinda want a Reactor 2.0 jacket. Velcro adjustments all around and leather in the impact areas to boot. If only I could justify not wearing my AST.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Scorpion EXO-700s on sale again at New Enough.

I have one and absolutely love it. First one I bought was $300, then I grabbed one for $108 last time New Enough had them on sale.

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/bargain_basement/scorpion/exo700_rivet_matte_motorcycle_helmet.html

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

Uthor posted:

That said, I do kinda want a Reactor 2.0 jacket. Velcro adjustments all around and leather in the impact areas to boot. If only I could justify not wearing my AST.

I was wearing one of these last summer and fall. It's a great piece of gear. The only reason I'm not wearing it anymore is that I shrank out of it.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
So, I'm leaning heavily in favor of the Vanson Highwayman:

http://www.vansonleathers.com/dw/prod/jacket/e-er.html

However, I have a few reservations...

1) I live in Austin. I already own a textile jacket for the Spring and Summer months. I'm confident I would wear the gently caress out of this jacket October - March, though.

2) I know these jackets offer excellent abrasion protection but little to no impact protection. How much safety am I sacrificing by going with a vintage jacket such as this? This is coming from someone who has yet to wreck (I know I very likely will at some point). This is also coming from someone who doesn't really have much desire to ride highways or do anything other than recreational riding.

3) The price. Anyone know of a good place to keep an eye out for used items such as this? Or is it futile, seeing as how the jackets are fairly custom fit and rarely sold?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

That jacket looks like it it would tear/melt upon impact with the asphalt.

Just because you don't plan on 'riding highways', don't skimp. Would you jump out of your car going 45mph in town?

I also think it looks silly.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

M.C. McMic posted:

So, I'm leaning heavily in favor of the Vanson Highwayman:

http://www.vansonleathers.com/dw/prod/jacket/e-er.html

However, I have a few reservations...

1) I live in Austin. I already own a textile jacket for the Spring and Summer months. I'm confident I would wear the gently caress out of this jacket October - March, though.

2) I know these jackets offer excellent abrasion protection but little to no impact protection. How much safety am I sacrificing by going with a vintage jacket such as this? This is coming from someone who has yet to wreck (I know I very likely will at some point). This is also coming from someone who doesn't really have much desire to ride highways or do anything other than recreational riding.

3) The price. Anyone know of a good place to keep an eye out for used items such as this? Or is it futile, seeing as how the jackets are fairly custom fit and rarely sold?

Highways aren't the dangerous places, as there's typically no cross traffic and left turners out there, which are the 2 biggest causes of motorcycle accidents. Remember that the average speed of an accident is only 27mph (as per the Hurt Report). I wouldn't skimp on armor on the street. If you're into the retro jacket look, Dianese makes some nice ones, and there's other options out there, you're just gonna have to look. Vanson makes high quality stuff, but there is absolutely no way I would buy a jacket without some form of armor in it.

And it's going to be possible but incredibly unlikely that you find vanson gear in your size, used. It's just not very common to see it up for sale due to it's lack of brand name draw among most riders. If you're going to spend 700$ on a jacket, you should get something protective.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Bob Morales posted:

That jacket looks like it it would tear/melt upon impact with the asphalt.

Just because you don't plan on 'riding highways', don't skimp. Would you jump out of your car going 45mph in town?

I also think it looks silly.

That's your opinion, I guess. I think jackets with racing stripes and emblems all over them look rather ridiculous.

Z3n, point taken. I'd like to justify buying the Vanson jacket, but if I'm honest with myself, it's more because I think it looks cool than any protection it would provide me. That's probably a terrible reason to buy gear. So, I'll keep looking for sure.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

MourningGlory posted:

I was wearing one of these last summer and fall. It's a great piece of gear. The only reason I'm not wearing it anymore is that I shrank out of it.

I went down in my EXO-700 in November. Fantastic helmet.I put some very obvious damage on it and didn't even get a headache.

Upside Potential
Jun 14, 2006
If you think this guy is terrible, wait till next year.

Spiffness posted:

I have one and absolutely love it. First one I bought was $300, then I grabbed one for $108 last time New Enough had them on sale.

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/bargain_basement/scorpion/exo700_rivet_matte_motorcycle_helmet.html

Great price. I also have a EXO-700 best fitting helmet I could find.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

M.C. McMic posted:

Z3n, point taken. I'd like to justify buying the Vanson jacket, but if I'm honest with myself, it's more because I think it looks cool than any protection it would provide me. That's probably a terrible reason to buy gear. So, I'll keep looking for sure.

The upside is that there is gear out there that will be both protective and look cool. You just gotta find it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Z3n posted:

I wouldn't skimp on armor on the street.

Plus, impact protection is to help you in the initial fall, which is the same distance/vertical speed whether you are stopped or going 100 mph.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

M.C. McMic posted:

That's your opinion, I guess. I think jackets with racing stripes and emblems all over them look rather ridiculous.

There's also the option of wearing a pressure suit/dirt bike armor underneath it, but I've got no idea how that would affect the fitting

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Spiffness posted:

I really don't NEED a new helmet but those prices are pretty drat tempting.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009
Does anyone know how the 700 fits vs the 400? Are they the same fit or different?

Upside Potential
Jun 14, 2006
If you think this guy is terrible, wait till next year.

ohwandernearer posted:

Does anyone know how the 700 fits vs the 400? Are they the same fit or different?

I was going to get an EXO-400 but the 700 fit me much better. I think the 700 had some different style pads for the cheeks.

DiscoKid
May 25, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Do you guys think this

looks cool and will perform well for the price?
http://www.leatherup.com/p/Scorpion-Helmets/EXO-700-SCORPION-Gold-Helmet/57115.html
http://www.leatherup.com/p/Mens-Motorcycle-Jackets/TOURMASTER-MENS-COASTER-II-JACKET-FLAT-BLACK-BROWN/62295.html

Total of about $470.

edit: It's either this or a new set of golf clubs...(changed the price from my original post, misread the prices)

DiscoKid fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 20, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Would you not get it if we didn't think it looked good?