Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The hardbacks are exceptional, and the extra content you get is worth the price alone, I can't wait till "A Home For Scared People."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
:siren:New strip!:siren:

This comment has been blocked by a decent man.

Muffin Loaf
Aug 9, 2006

You muffin to me?
You muffin to ME?
On the one hand, I am really glad we're getting frequent new strips. On the other hand, I'm kind of weirded out by the topical humor angle in some of them. The newest strip strikes me as very un-achewood, and Roomba Cinema being about a movie currently in theaters was weird too. I still think they're funny, though.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I'm pretty sure that when people read through the archives in 15 years and they come across the Avatar strip they'll know about that movie the same as the other Roomba strips. It's not like he's writing strips about cultural minutia like who's dating Jessica Simpson or whatever.

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life
I am ten pounds of man in five pounds of underwear.

Muffin Loaf
Aug 9, 2006

You muffin to me?
You muffin to ME?

Happy Hippo posted:

It's not like he's writing strips about who's dating Jessica Simpson or whatever.

And I count that among my blessings every night.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

Awesome Andy posted:

I am ten pounds of man in five pounds of underwear.

I know I'm supposed to be infuriated by how none of them have paid attention to her saying that this is an OLD PICTURE of her, but that doesn't make my fury less furious.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dove from Above posted:

I know I'm supposed to be infuriated by how none of them have paid attention to her saying that this is an OLD PICTURE of her, but that doesn't make my fury less furious.

Haha I know, I kept thinking to myself,"But she said it was an OLD PICTURE YOU MORRONS!" even though I knew that was the joke. [fans self]

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Hmm, that talk about an extra line to this strip has got me interested in the fan flow.

Has anyone started new recently and caught up on all the stuff they missed? How did that go? How much is there?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Muffin Loaf posted:

On the one hand, I am really glad we're getting frequent new strips. On the other hand, I'm kind of weirded out by the topical humor angle in some of them.

Yeah, the latest strip is a poor joke executed well - what saves it is the weird application of Achewood tropes to what essentially is a "and what's the deal with airline food?" gag.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

Pascallion posted:

Hmm, that talk about an extra line to this strip has got me interested in the fan flow.

Has anyone started new recently and caught up on all the stuff they missed? How did that go? How much is there?

There's enough that I've subscribed for about a year now, and I still haven't caught up on everything. Then again, I have priorities.

So I'm kind of curious as to who was and who is in the photo for the Facebook bit. That face clearly does not belong on that head.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

He's referencing that stupid facebook meme of putting your own face on old yearbook pictures with out of date hairstyles.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
The Youtube part is disturbingly accurate, right down to the guy getting flamed for offering good advice.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

Silentman0 posted:

The Youtube part is disturbingly accurate, right down to the guy getting flamed for offering good advice.

I think if he'd said 'that's something he could work on' rather than 'he lacks discipline' Mom wouldn't have minded.
I'm taking this too seriously aren't I.

Chris Onstad
Mar 31, 2007

Fillerbunny posted:

So I'm kind of curious as to who was and who is in the photo for the Facebook bit. That face clearly does not belong on that head.

I was mildly surprised no one pointed out how ugly that woman is. It's because that woman is me.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

Chris Onstad posted:

I was mildly surprised no one pointed out how ugly that woman is. It's because that woman is me.

I thought it was you, but the picture's just small enough where I couldn't quite make it out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chris Onstad posted:

I figured as much, was that to avoid potential problems when it comes to publishing later on or just because you thought it was funnier?

Happy Hippo posted:

He's referencing that stupid facebook meme of putting your own face on old yearbook pictures with out of date hairstyles.

Wait, what? This is a thing?

the Professor
Nov 28, 2002

pi pi

Chris Onstad posted:

This, I knew immediately.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

Jerusalem posted:

Wait, what? This is a thing?

Pretty sure this is the thing. It made the rounds on myspace way back when, but I don't do the facebook so I dunno about that one.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fillerbunny posted:

Pretty sure this is the thing. It made the rounds on myspace way back when, but I don't do the facebook so I dunno about that one.

Reason 746 that I'm happy to not be on any of these stupid facespacetwitter pages.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Bobby Conason appears to be some kind of ghost or spectre.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
It seems like there's a pretty high-level of "here's a list of humorous things" strips lately rather than straight-up comix.

Which I enjoy from time to time, but so many in close proximity kind of lessens the impact.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

:siren: New strip! :siren:

Achewood: "Oh God I'm Getting Old" Edition

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.
Being in your 30s is pretty awesome.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Fillerbunny posted:

Heh, I wouldn't know. :smug:

For another seven months, at least:smith:

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
Shame on this bear.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Fillerbunny posted:

Solid.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
All of the cool people are in their 30s.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
gently caress you guys I'm going back it sucks here

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
When will Grumpy Guts get his own storyline?

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.
Hopefully never. It reminds me of Lucas' shirt in CAD.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Fillerbunny posted:

Hopefully never. It reminds me of Lucas' shirt in CAD.

In that it was a much better, fleshed out and expressive character than the rest of the cast? I Don't see the similitude.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Isn't RB's stomach virtually its own character? That didn't seem to go anywhere. I can identify with how at some point in one's 30's, the entire gastrointestinal system seems to become a second life with its own independant and conflicting desires living inside your body, but it is kind of a mute beast. Dull, and space consuming, like someone's lazy persian cat that you never remember the name of because it is rarely seen, and when you do see it, you're afraid it's going to attack you and give you infected wounds.

5er fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 25, 2010

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002
tumbleweed.gif :(

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
OH MY GOD YOU MADE ME THINK THERE WAS A NEW COMIC BUT THERE IS NO NEW COMIC HOW DARE YOU

better?

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Wait! THERE IS A :pcgaming:NEW KOMIK!:frogsiren:

Even has Ray blogging at the end and all!

..Because people still care, Right? :smith:

Unavoidable EDIT:

No, I'm just an asshat who wishes his favorite comic would be updated a bit more often. The achewood twitter, which I guess everyone should follow, offers a bit of light:

Achewood twitter posted:

Rumors of my death greatly exaggerated. Week of migraines and rain. New Achewood strip up at long last.

Ah, I found the Bill Watterson quote I was thinking of when I made that question: (emphasis mine)

Bill Watterson posted:

(on talking about hesitating to take sabbaticals) Reruns are tedious, and after several months of them, there is always the risk that readers will break their habit of reading the strip and discover that they don't miss it.

Though I'm sure we could start a huge argument about the quantity vs. quality of Achewood, all that has been said before. I just wondered, seeing even this thread was also nearly dying. This (wanting more comics) is just the opinion of an asinine man (me).

Zefiel fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 1, 2010

Flupp
Aug 2, 2004

Zefiel posted:

..Because people still care, Right? :smith:

I don't know what you are implying but I just got some drat fine chuckles and grins from this so it is a good day.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Portland has been kinda grim lately but today actually had blue sky. There's a new strip today. Coincidence?

(They need to surround the city with a bank of full-spectrum lights for our own well-being.)

I suspect there is a market for tomatoes grown in hated-at dirt. They might make the best curry.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
I laughed my Edna Krabapple laugh at "Potatoes more socially aware than they are."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
This was a really good strip, classic Achewood style in nearly every panel. A return to former glory...?

Tomorrow: Ray's magic mexican biocoptor goes on a wacky rampage through downtown Italy