Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007
My room is a bit cramped, as I've been a pack rat for years, but I keep it fairly organized despite the stupid amount of junk I own.

Also, can someone post a link to the cum-vase thread? The masochist in me must know more about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Beska posted:

What kind of chair is that and where from?

LegionX
Jan 11, 2009

Beska posted:

:cheers: Staedtler Triplus Fineliner friend!

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Low-Pass Filter posted:

My room is a bit cramped, as I've been a pack rat for years, but I keep it fairly organized despite the stupid amount of junk I own.

Also, can someone post a link to the cum-vase thread? The masochist in me must know more about this.
Is this a widelense shot, or are you a Na'vi or Hagrid?

mcyahwe
Apr 24, 2009

by Ozma

Beska posted:

Sidenote, any suggestions on an easy way to hide them?
Move the TV down so it's closer to the desk. The wires will be hidden in the shadow of the screen and you don't have to lift your head into an unnatural positions just to watch tv.

Beska
May 16, 2007

I'm a Mac.

ragzilla posted:

Is it solid brick though? Or is it drywall over studs attached to the outside wall?

Hmm. It's drywall over studs. Interesting, maybe I can do something with this then. I don't really like the look of the plastic things you put down the wall to hide the wires behind.

EnergizerFellow posted:

What kind of chair is that and where from?

Cream leather one from Amazon. I've tried searching for it but it isn't on there anymore. It was called "White Executive Officer Chair ULTRA MODERN" from Quatropi.

LegionX posted:

:cheers: Staedtler Triplus Fineliner friend!

I can't write with anything after these. They are aboslutely amazing. Too bad they are about £15, and I have to replace them every few months because the nibs rub down. :sigh:

mcyahwe posted:

Move the TV down so it's closer to the desk. The wires will be hidden in the shadow of the screen and you don't have to lift your head into an unnatural positions just to watch tv.

I think taking all the bolts off my wall, redrilling and rebolting the stand for just hiding the wire is quite a bit of effort. I often watch TV from the other side of the room anyway, and if I want to watch from my computer I just turn around. The bottom of the TV is about head height, I dunno if the picture's perspective is weird or something.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
It sounds like your best bet is to find out what color your walls and just get the lowest-profile cable conduit you can find and just paint over it. It will look infinitely better than hanging wires, and doesn't require any drilling.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Beska posted:

Cream leather one from Amazon. I've tried searching for it but it isn't on there anymore. It was called "White Executive Officer Chair ULTRA MODERN" from Quatropi.
Quatropi looks to be a reseller. Any manufacturer's name or part numbers/names anywhere on the chair itself?

Beska
May 16, 2007

I'm a Mac.

EnergizerFellow posted:

Quatropi looks to be a reseller. Any manufacturer's name or part numbers/names anywhere on the chair itself?

I've just had it upside down and has a look, and nope absolutely nothing. As I recall, there were no obvious names on the box or anything either. :iiam:

Edit: If you've not found it already: The chair on the Quatropi website. It's in GBP and UK-based though, if you're across the pond. Not even the website lists a manufacturer.

Beska fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 15, 2010

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Beska posted:

Hmm. It's drywall over studs. Interesting, maybe I can do something with this then. I don't really like the look of the plastic things you put down the wall to hide the wires behind.

Since it's drywall over studs, mark your 2 holes you want to bring the cables in/out of (make sure they're close to being on a vertical line, ideally you'd use a plumb bob to get them perfect, but if you don't have one an eyeball works fine too), then you can use a length of ball chain (purchase from your local hardware store) and a magnet to get an easy pull string in the wall (make sure you tie the ball chain to something that won't fit in the top hole though before you drop it in). Simply tape the wires to the ball chain after you've fished it out of the wall with the magnet, then pull them up through the wall.

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007

ufarn posted:

Is this a widelense shot, or are you a Na'vi or Hagrid?

Panorama! and the bed is queen if you're calling me fat? I don't really get the Hagrid reference...

Not That Into You
Oct 29, 2007

ragzilla posted:

Since it's drywall over studs, mark your 2 holes you want to bring the cables in/out of (make sure they're close to being on a vertical line, ideally you'd use a plumb bob to get them perfect, but if you don't have one an eyeball works fine too), then you can use a length of ball chain (purchase from your local hardware store) and a magnet to get an easy pull string in the wall (make sure you tie the ball chain to something that won't fit in the top hole though before you drop it in). Simply tape the wires to the ball chain after you've fished it out of the wall with the magnet, then pull them up through the wall.

Make sure there isn't a horizontal fire-break before you cut into the drywall. I learned this the hard way. :argh:

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Low-Pass Filter posted:

Panorama! and the bed is queen if you're calling me fat? I don't really get the Hagrid reference...

Hagrid is a giant, just as Na'vi are tall. And tall people are usually large for their dwellings. Everything looks small by comparison. At least that's the gist of what he's saying, I believe.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I need some help here. I'm trying to find a writing/flat style desk with a hutch that I can store books on. I don't want anything with a keyboard tray. I don't want anything with a CPU storage area or anything. Why is this hard to find?

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

the posted:

I need some help here. I'm trying to find a writing/flat style desk with a hutch that I can store books on. I don't want anything with a keyboard tray. I don't want anything with a CPU storage area or anything. Why is this hard to find?
Ikea Fredrik workstation?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00115992

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Just finishing up a desk project.

Before

Now

DeepThought
Feb 19, 2005
Cthulhu Light
Ikea Galant, LG 20" and 30" + Macbook pro 17".

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Low-Pass Filter posted:

The pieces of furniture just seems incredibly malproportioned due to the type of shot, which makes it look like you are ten feet tall.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Withnail posted:

Before

Now

If you don't mind me asking, why do you have the monitor right over a drawer? It looks uncomfortable.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Withnail posted:

Before

Now

Thats really cool, how much did it cost in total?

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

Withnail posted:

It looks like some poor child just lost his favorite room....

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

DeepThought posted:

Ikea Galant, LG 20" and 30" + Macbook pro 17".

What is the actual width of that desk? The Ikea site says its 63" but does that mean if you straightened the desk it's 63" or is it actually 63" when rested against a wall? Could you link the one you specifically have? Thanks!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Withnail posted:

Before

Now

Nice job on the desk, though I really don't like the monitor in the corner above the drawers. The room needs a bit of dressing up, but otherwise it looks good. Well done.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Dominoes posted:

If you don't mind me asking, why do you have the monitor right over a drawer? It looks uncomfortable.

I'm still getting it set up. The computer is in a closet behind the wall and one of the cables is too short. It cost around $2k which probably could have bought a pretty nice standalone desk, but the wife wanted something that looked built-in.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Withnail posted:

I'm still getting it set up. The computer is in a closet behind the wall and one of the cables is too short. It cost around $2k which probably could have bought a pretty nice standalone desk, but the wife wanted something that looked built-in.

Jeez a $2000 desk? That's beastly man.

pete0r
Oct 6, 2003
me

Cizzo posted:

Jeez a $2000 desk? That's beastly man.

I'm going to go ahead and guess that $2000 includes the chair as well (and maybe a new window?). I can't imagine how a long table (he reused the cabinets) cost $2000.

Apps
Oct 3, 2009

Withnail posted:

I hope you mean the desk and everything on it.

Tux Racer
Dec 24, 2005

I should probably explain everything. The monitor is an HP w2207, which gets the job done. Nothing special. Mouse is a Logitech MX518, keyboard is a generic Logitech keyboard. Headset is a Plantronics headset that I can't remember what it's called. The whisky is Jack Daniel's Single Barrel. Everything else is self-explanatory.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I'm looking for a good two person home office setup; any suggestions? Right now I'm imagining a sort of double desk island, where two people could sit across from one another and have plenty of space to spread out.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Trustworthy posted:

I'm looking for a good two person home office setup; any suggestions? Right now I'm imagining a sort of double desk island, where two people could sit across from one another and have plenty of space to spread out.

You realize that means you'd be staring right into the face of the other person, right? Not a lot of privacy there.

Tantalus
Feb 11, 2004

Trustworthy posted:

I like this guys setup. Maybe it will give you a few ideas.

http://lifehacker.com/5396066/his-hers-and-the-media-center-a-compact-home-office

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

the posted:

You realize that means you'd be staring right into the face of the other person, right? Not a lot of privacy there.

My business partner is also my sexy time partner, so not a big deal. When I'm not in the studio, we generally work sitting across a big table from one another anyway. :)

Tantalus posted:

http://lifehacker.com/5396066/his-hers-and-the-media-center-a-compact-home-office

Exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for; thanks!

Beska
May 16, 2007

I'm a Mac.

Tantalus posted:

That looks absolutely amazing. I wish I worked at home.

I still need to justify spending £45 on the mStand. Then and only then will my desktop will be complete. :sigh:

punkrawk
Mar 10, 2003
Your mother is a whore

pete0r posted:

I'm going to go ahead and guess that $2000 includes the chair as well (and maybe a new window?). I can't imagine how a long table (he reused the cabinets) cost $2000.

I did this in a previous room years ago, and it can be done cheaper for certain. Home depot sells huge (18' x 30") counter-top planks of MDF in various laminate colors as low-end kitchen surfaces, and they make terrific desktops. The counter was $110 + $5 to cut it down to 14 feet. Add to the mix two IKEA cabinets (the exact models are out of production, but were $70 each). I absolutely loved the desk.

Although not exactly like what was pictured, the heavy lifting for a giganto-huge desk can be done for ~$300.

punkrawk fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 18, 2010

jupitercore
Mar 2, 2002
I just signed up to leech from the sadchub
There have been a ton of awesome setups in this thread. It's been awhile since my last post.

Moved into a new place 2 weeks ago. Made an Ikea run and picked up a Vika Glasholm table top with Vika Artur legs. Also snagged a Markus chair.

Started getting the contents of the desk setup. What is the banana hanger I see everyone using for a headphone rack? I haven't pulled the headphones out yet, but I'll need a place for them shortly.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

jupitercore posted:

There have been a ton of awesome setups in this thread. It's been awhile since my last post.

Moved into a new place 2 weeks ago. Made an Ikea run and picked up a Vika Glasholm table top with Vika Artur legs. Also snagged a Markus chair.

Started getting the contents of the desk setup. What is the banana hanger I see everyone using for a headphone rack? I haven't pulled the headphones out yet, but I'll need a place for them shortly.

[timg ]http://simplenerd.com/files/img/desk_wip.jpg[/timg]

Its literally a banana hanger. Check out Bed Bath and Beyond or Target or something's Homewares section.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

jupitercore posted:

Why the two keyboards? Get synergyKM or teleport.

Also, awesome glass desk. I have one, too. Macs look great on glass.

Edit: Frosted all the way, clear is uncool.

chimz fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 19, 2010

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
Frosted glass desks are alright, but after my experience with a non-frosted glass desk - I'll never, ever go the glass desk route again. What a pain to keep clean.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

A glass desk would allow me to see all of the cables underneath my desk while I'm sitting at it which would bug the hell out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jupitercore
Mar 2, 2002
I just signed up to leech from the sadchub

chimz posted:

Why the two keyboards? Get synergyKM or teleport.

It's just there temporarily. I'm setting up a PowerMac G3 to be my new web/mysql dev server that will be transported to a closet when it's completed. I love my graphite Pro Keyboard, but it just wasn't meant to be with this desk.

Sir Nigel posted:

Its literally a banana hanger. Check out Bed Bath and Beyond or Target or something's Homewares section.

Many thanks.