Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CM Junk posted:

- The look on Undertaker's face at WM25 after HBK kicked out of the first Tombstone. The master of mind games after 20 years had finally been broken down and with one incredulous look he showed that he realized he wasn't unbeatable.

Similar to this, in the lead up to the match, HBK constantly got away from any comeuppance from Undertaker and looked to be having the time of his life, repeatedly pointing out that he wasn't scared of Taker and was merely amused by Taker's attempts to "mindgame" him. Then, after all the running and laughing and escaping, they finally have their match and almost immediately HBK is running about having fun and....

Boom! Playtime's over, Shawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

CM Junk posted:

- The look on Undertaker's face at WM25 after HBK kicked out of the first Tombstone. The master of mind games after 20 years had finally been broken down and with one incredulous look he showed that he realized he wasn't unbeatable.

I figured that had more to do with Michaels kicking out of a chokeslam, then a Last Ride, THEN the Tombstone, which few people ever kick out of. It looked to me more like a "What the hell does it take to put this guy away?" face, but that doesn't make it any less awesome :)

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

BlueArmyMan posted:

I figured that had more to do with Michaels kicking out of a chokeslam, then a Last Ride, THEN the Tombstone, which few people ever kick out of. It looked to me more like a "What the hell does it take to put this guy away?" face, but that doesn't make it any less awesome :)

Well, that goes without saying. That's how everyone reads into it, and for good reason, but on top of that I see it as Undertaker finally showing that he has a human side and that he can wrestle with an emotion other than "I am going to murder you and any offense you get in on me will be taken as an insult".

Jerusalem posted:

Similar to this, in the lead up to the match, HBK constantly got away from any comeuppance from Undertaker and looked to be having the time of his life, repeatedly pointing out that he wasn't scared of Taker and was merely amused by Taker's attempts to "mindgame" him. Then, after all the running and laughing and escaping, they finally have their match and almost immediately HBK is running about having fun and....

Boom! Playtime's over, Shawn.

And the fact that Shawn responded with equal levels of seriousness that almost managed to break Taker down makes it all the more brilliant.

Dr. Ass fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 18, 2010

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

CM Junk posted:

Frankensteiner throws the opponent off the top turnbuckle from a handstand position, Hurricanrana involves jumping onto the opponent's shoulders and taking them down.

So Trish was the last WWE wrestler to actually do a Frankensteiner?

MassRayPer posted:

The rana involves a pin. It translates to "Hurricane Pin" while a Frankensteiner doesn't have to end in a pin.

This is how I've understood it as well.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Okay, related question: what's the difference between a hurricanrana and a headscissors?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

bonesquid posted:

Okay, related question: what's the difference between a hurricanrana and a headscissors?

Basically a headscissors is any move when you use your legs to wrap around an opponents head. So, all ranas are head scissors, but not all head scissors are ranas.

You can also do head scissors from different positions. Anyone who played WWF Warzone probably abused the gently caress out of HBK's wacky head scissors.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

anakha posted:

So Trish was the last WWE wrestler to actually do a Frankensteiner?

pretty sure CM Punk, Morrison, and Evan Bourne have done Frankensteiners or Super Franksteiners before after Trish.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

The rana involves a pin. It translates to "Hurricane Pin" while a Frankensteiner doesn't have to end in a pin.

Rana means frog!

I believe it refers to the specific pin where you're sitting on the guy and hooking the legs.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

Basically a headscissors is any move when you use your legs to wrap around an opponents head. So, all ranas are head scissors, but not all head scissors are ranas.

You can also do head scissors from different positions. Anyone who played WWF Warzone probably abused the gently caress out of HBK's wacky head scissors.

or rey mysterio's in 09. running fast uncounterable headscissors that does very little damage but adds up over time...yeeeah...gently caress rey mysterio.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
What's the difference between a hurricarana and a hudancarana? (The move Sabu used to do)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Super Ninja Fish posted:

What's the difference between a hurricarana and a hudancarana? (The move Sabu used to do)

As with most of the moves in Sabu's arsenal, the Hudancarana was him leaping at his opponent, and hoping everything turned out all right at the end.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

How about a Heinekenrana?

I know.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
At this point, there isn't any difference between a hurricanrana and a frankensteiner in North America. Same with lariats/clotheslines. Chinese whispers in the wrestling world makes any kind of "technical" name for a move pretty arbritary and pointless.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Davros1 posted:

As with most of the moves in Sabu's arsenal, the Hudancarana was him leaping at his opponent.

More like. Hoping really wasnt his style.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

CM Junk posted:

- Randy Orton's strategy during his Iron Man match with John Cena. Cena got Orton in the STFU early on in the match and Orton tapped immediately so that Cena could get an easy fall without Orton having to suffer nearly any damage at all. Orton then more or less pounded the piss out of Cena for 20 minutes straight until he got cocky and gave Cena time to recover, gain an upperhand and tie up the score. With about a minute left Orton started freaking out because he realized he wasn't in a position to put Cena away anymore and you could see Orton starting to panic:

Even though it looked like he was beatboxing. The fact that he tapped out with two seconds left in regulation kind of ruined an otherwise great match, but I still think it told a pretty great story.
As Orton was struggling to get out of the final STF, Cena turned it around so that Orton was facing AWAY from the Titantron once the move was clinched in. Orton could no longer see how much time was left, and he tapped. Not sure if that was intentional, but it added a neat touch of psychology to that finish.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
I don't watch a lot of TNA, could someone explain how and why Matt Morgan is apparently so over? Last I heard he was a coat rack.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Minidust posted:

As Orton was struggling to get out of the final STF, Cena turned it around so that Orton was facing AWAY from the Titantron once the move was clinched in. Orton could no longer see how much time was left, and he tapped. Not sure if that was intentional, but it added a neat touch of psychology to that finish.

If that's the case, then it would've been brilliant had the announcers actually sold that fact.

Deranged Hermit
Nov 10, 2004

by Tiny Fistpump

CM Junk posted:

If that's the case, then it would've been brilliant had the announcers actually sold that fact.

But even expecting the Raw announcers to even be replacement-level announcers is too much.

Bring back Sean Mooney Todd Pettengill Kevin Kelly Tony Schiavone.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Omally posted:

I don't watch a lot of TNA, could someone explain how and why Matt Morgan is apparently so over? Last I heard he was a coat rack.

He's not super over. He does some somewhat impressive stuff in the ring but has the charisma of, well a coat rack. Right now I can only say he is somewhat over with the help of Hernandez who he formed a tag team with after the each got a main event push and then were shoved back down into the middle card.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
One of the best matches with good example of "ring psychology" I can think of is Edge/Taker from WM24. Edge had scouted out all of Taker's moves and was slipping out and avoiding them perfectly.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hey, does anyone know if Lesnar was actually a draw? I know he was popular and I loving loved him when he was wrestling, but does anyone actually know if he sold out arenas or drew big buyrates for PPV? I've wondered about this for awhile.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

The age of drawing is long, long over so it's really hard to tell with anyone anymore, but he's headlined plenty of PPVs as both face and heel (including WMXIX), sold a shitload of merch, and was on the cover (by himself!) of the only Smackdown game to have a non-Rock catchphrase as the title.

By all accounts, yes, he appears to have been a draw in WWE. He sure as poo poo is one for UFC now.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

CM Junk posted:

The age of drawing is long, long over so it's really hard to tell with anyone anymore

This is really just true for attendance, where people are paying to go to the WWE wrestling specatular at the local arena. It does matter when it comes to merch sales, PPV, and ratings.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

oldpainless posted:

Hey, does anyone know if Lesnar was actually a draw? I know he was popular and I loving loved him when he was wrestling, but does anyone actually know if he sold out arenas or drew big buyrates for PPV? I've wondered about this for awhile.
Since about 1993, there hasn't been a "draw" in wrestling other than the names "WWF", "WCW", and "WWE". One could make arguments for the Rocks, Stone-Colds, DDPs and Goldbergs of the world, but I really don't see any of those guys selling out arenas by themselves.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

WeaselWeaz posted:

This is really just true for attendance, where people are paying to go to the WWE wrestling specatular at the local arena. It does matter when it comes to merch sales, PPV, and ratings.

That was more my point, that it's really hard to say any one person can draw an arena when people are going to a RAW show for Cena, HHH, HBK and Orton or a Smackdown show for Undertaker, Mysterio, Morrison, and Jericho. People pretty much go to WWE shows because they're WWE shows now.

By the remaining criteria, however, I'd say Lesnar was definitely a draw.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Capsaicin posted:

One of the best matches with good example of "ring psychology" I can think of is Edge/Taker from WM24. Edge had scouted out all of Taker's moves and was slipping out and avoiding them perfectly.

This is pretty much every Taker main event with an opponent who is smaller than Batista, and the whole "HE'S GOT HIM SCOUTED" thing doesn't wear well when you think about it. The guy has been wrestling for twenty years at least once a month, if you don't have him scouted by now you never will. Natural ability and skill is what it should be sold as, not Edge watching Undertaker tapes like a football coach.

quote:

Since about 1993, there hasn't been a "draw" in wrestling other than the names "WWF", "WCW", and "WWE". One could make arguments for the Rocks, Stone-Colds, DDPs and Goldbergs of the world, but I really don't see any of those guys selling out arenas by themselves.

Trying to figure out what your possible logic is here and it's just eluding me. Stone Cold and Rock pretty much defined the WWF product and if WCW wasn't retarded to the extreme they probably could have had Goldberg and DDP lifting the entire company up in just the same way. Acting like people ever paid money to see Jeff Jarrett v. Chyna and Right to Censor or something is a pretty bold claim.

Wrestling companies still need draws, for crowds and everything else. Also Cena/DX/Undertaker are easily the biggest draws on the cards, and without these guys the shows become a lot less attractive. WWE do hang their hats on several people, but nothing's really changed about the business, it's just that the writing's bad, the competition is low, and very few new major draws have been created since about 1997.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
I think the appeal behind Big Undertaker matches is watching how the opponents cope with him.

Micheals decided he was gonna turn the mind games around on him. He put on white clothes, did fuckery with the casket, etc. It worked until the night of the match, when Micheals realized oh gently caress, the games are over and I have a 7ft man who wants to beat me to hell.

Edge was falling victim to UT's games bad. Growing increasingly dependent on the family around him to give him comfort and assistance. Once it came to the point that he could no longer get their help he started losing it. Turning to Foley, he realized this and just went crazy. Becoming obsessed with UT rather than fearing him.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

This isn't true at all. The "nWo" was a draw. Hulk Hogan vs Ric Flair was a draw. Steve Austin was a draw. The WCW brand was never that strong on its own, especially. Even at its peak it had trouble becoming synonymous with wrestling like the WWF had been in the 80s. But when you look at how house shows, PPVs and ratings trended in the mid to late 90s, there were definitely specific draws and people no one gave a poo poo about.

The best example is WCW where the Hogan shows did much better than the non Hogan shows until 1997, and Souled Out 98 was the first time a non Hogan show did much better numbers than some Hogan shows. You can also see how Hogan wore out his welcome and fans got sick of him in the pre and post nWo eras.

And WeaselWeaz is pretty wrong about draws in terms of ratings. Both times Cena has been out it has meant very little to the Raw rating. Both of his major injuries happened in football season and the ratings were about what you'd expect for Raw vs the NFL, and didn't really pop up much when he came back. That isn't to say Cena can't draw ratings. If you put Cena on ECW he'd probably pop the rating up a bit since the ECW rating is so small. But, there's no one in the WWE who has that sort of crossover stardom who draws in additional fans when they are TV like an Austin or a Rock would 10 years ago.

Edit: A good example is how Raw has been having troubles in the last year with the second hour doing either a small increase on the first, staying the same or in a few weeks going down. This tends to happen in TNA a lot, but is a sign the WWE fanbase is less drawn in by hype and certain stars. Also see how the DX Reunion has flopped this time after being a pretty big draw in 2006.

The only thing it has done is really pop merchandise, which I'd agree is the one place where "draws" really exist today.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jan 19, 2010

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
This reminds me of how when the New Age Outlaws were in TNA they talked about how they were huge draws as WWF tag team champions and sold out MSG sixteen times or something

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is Kenta Kobashi's little-used "Diamond Head" maneuver named after the metal band?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRayPer posted:

The only thing it has done is really pop merchandise, which I'd agree is the one place where "draws" really exist today.
You spend three paragraphs tearing my argument apart, then say this and agree with me. I'm confused.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
What wrestler would you say my posting correlates to? Jerusalem is poster of the year so I would say he is Chris Jericho or John Cena. I am trying to find out if I am WH2K's JTTS.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

What's JTTS? I keep seeing that acronym around here.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Jobber to the stars.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

LividLiquid posted:

What's JTTS? I keep seeing that acronym around here.

Jobber to the Stars. Basically a guy that was higher than Jobber status but lower than midcard.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Moose Bigelow posted:

What wrestler would you say my posting correlates to? Jerusalem is poster of the year so I would say he is Chris Jericho or John Cena. I am trying to find out if I am WH2K's JTTS.

Hey there, Slam Master J!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Thanks. Heard the term, but I'm bad with acronyms.

Makes the Games forum infuriating.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

You spend three paragraphs tearing my argument apart, then say this and agree with me. I'm confused.

Except you said 1993 was the cut off date and that the WCW brand was a draw after this point. So no, we aren't agreeing. It isn't nitpicking, the current status quo didn't exist for about a decade after you say it did.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRayPer posted:

Except you said 1993 was the cut off date and that the WCW brand was a draw after this point. So no, we aren't agreeing. It isn't nitpicking, the current status quo didn't exist for about a decade after you say it did.
Oh. Gotchya'. That's a part of my statement that I don't really care about. I probably should have peppered it with a "like" or something, but my only real point is there's no single performer who could turn a company around at the moment or sell out an arena by himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LividLiquid posted:

Oh. Gotchya'. That's a part of my statement that I don't really care about. I probably should have peppered it with a "like" or something, but my only real point is there's no single performer who could turn a company around at the moment or sell out an arena by himself.

Bruno Sammartino :colbert:

Give the people what they want, Vince! Bring back Bruno!