Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daughter
Jul 23, 2007

That fuckin Floyd Rose has got me ready to punch a hole in the wall. I tried both of your suggestions, read up on ibanezrules, read other sites and checked youtube videos. I cannot get my trem to set parallel with the guitar. I got the guitar and it was already strung up. Should I start over with a new set? Add a couple more springs? What the gently caress, are these things worth the hassle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies
Pardon the lovely phone camera pictures:

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Had it for about a month or so, turns out changing the strings isn't as nightmarish as I thought it would be. The trem is really stable, which is nice, but for some reason the bar won't stay in the cavity?

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Daughter posted:

What the gently caress, are these things worth the hassle?
It depends on how much you value novelty guitar tricks...

answer: not at all.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Daughter posted:

That fuckin Floyd Rose has got me ready to punch a hole in the wall. I tried both of your suggestions, read up on ibanezrules, read other sites and checked youtube videos. I cannot get my trem to set parallel with the guitar. I got the guitar and it was already strung up. Should I start over with a new set? Add a couple more springs? What the gently caress, are these things worth the hassle?
Block that poo poo up if you can. Non-fixed/floating/tremelo/whammy bridges are lovely poo poo poo poo.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJrv-W23SQo
This video helped me alot. Give it time man, your not going to get it on the first go. First time I set up my floyd rose it took me and hour and then some. Yesterday i did it in 20 minutes. Every time you do it, you will get better.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

hawaiian_robot posted:

The trem is really stable, which is nice, but for some reason the bar won't stay in the cavity?
For some reason my internet connection is having a hell of a time loading up other pages, but do a google search for "jazzmaster collet" to fix that.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

hawaiian_robot posted:

Had it for about a month or so, turns out changing the strings isn't as nightmarish as I thought it would be. The trem is really stable, which is nice, but for some reason the bar won't stay in the cavity?

Have you magnetized it yet? No. No you have not.

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

Carbohydrates posted:

For some reason my internet connection is having a hell of a time loading up other pages, but do a google search for "jazzmaster collet" to fix that.

Had a quick look, cheers for that. It's not that huge a problem for me, the loose bar helps with that Kevin Sheilds kind of stuff - just curious why mine wasn't like all the other JMs I've tried.

STACK OVERFLOW
Apr 17, 2007

... PWND!

shuriken posted:

Neat. Is that a single tone knob for both pickups?

You bet. Master volume, master tone and a 5-switch. This guitar combines simplicity and tonal variety. I love it.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Daughter posted:

Floyd Roses are the worst thing to happen to guitars since their invention. The fact that they're so popular and widespread, as well as put on a lot of otherwise cool guitars (completely ruining it, imo) makes me want to punch a hole in a wall. Block that poo poo up.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

cat doter posted:

Floyd Roses are the worst thing to happen to guitars since their invention. The fact that they're so popular and widespread, as well as put on a lot of otherwise cool guitars (completely ruining it, imo) makes me want to punch a hole in a wall. Block that poo poo up.

Jesus christ, I completely agree. Fixed bridge for life.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

cat doter posted:

I don't see why people hate them so much. I have 3 guitars with floating floyds and they stay in tune more than a fixed bridge. I could probably throw my ESP horizon off a building and not have to retune. Setting them up is tedious and can be a real bitch, but once it's done you rarely have to touch em unless you are changing string sizes. Also, you don't really have to cut the balls off to change the strings. Just loop it through on your tuners. It doesn't look as good, but I always suggest it to my friends who have trouble replacing the strings and it helps them out.

Anyone who doesn't like doing divebombs or harmonic squeals with a whammy is really missing out in my opinion.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

They're gimmicks. Seriously, on a well set up fixed bridge it takes 10 seconds to tune. You can take advantage of multiple tunings on one guitar. Changing strings is also a hell of a lot easier. Divebombs and harmonic squeals are obnoxious and annoying.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Vibrato on chords is nice.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

the wizards beard posted:

Vibrato on chords is nice.

I do that on my strat a lot, you don't need a floyd to do it, if you don't go crazy pushing the wammy bar down a stupid amount, it'll hold its tune fine.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

cat doter posted:

I do that on my strat a lot, you don't need a floyd to do it, if you don't go crazy pushing the wammy bar down a stupid amount, it'll hold its tune fine.

You are using a non-fixed bridge and even if you have that motherfucker backed up against the body as hard as it'll go it will still exhibit variance in its return state if not set up properly. So you're basically calling your own bridge a gimmick, which ain't cool, man, bridges are beautiful.

And it's just all in the quality of the floating bridge and the setup, anyway, some of them are total pains in the rear end, others just work great. See the guitar in my avatar? That's a floating bridge that only locks at the neck, behind the nut, but when I pulled it out of the storage room this winter after moving three and a half hours south to warmer, wetter weather, it was still in perfect relative tune. And I can bang away at it all day and it'll stay there.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Oh trust me, it's set up properly. I hate bad tremolo setups. I tend to press very very lightly as you don't need to move the bridge that much to get fairly wide vibrato and I don't wanna pull my strings out of tune. I never said I only use fixed bridges, I just hate floyd roses.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

cat doter posted:

Oh trust me, it's set up properly. I hate bad tremolo setups. I tend to press very very lightly as you don't need to move the bridge that much to get fairly wide vibrato and I don't wanna pull my strings out of tune. I never said I only use fixed bridges, I just hate floyd roses.

The guitar must not be setup properly if it is going out of tune that easily. I can beat the total living poo poo out of mine for hours and it never goes out of tune.

Have you had it setup by professional? Might ask around for the local go-to guy where you live.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

DrChu posted:

How much are you looking for it?

Im thinking like 85? It is 75 for a kit nowadays. Its prebuilt, unpainted, and has a few mods in it. Ive got to look up what they are again... From what I remember there were a few capacitors replaced and that gave it extra sweep range when it did its volume swell effect. I didn't do the mods myself, but purchased it from someone who had already done the mods.

If youre interested, hit me up at npsiwak at gm@il dot com

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

Daughter posted:

Getting the bridge to sit how you want it is adjusted by the screws on the claw(not the bridge posts!) in the back. Have you figured out how to get all the strings in tune at the same time? If so you can start messing with bridge height. Screw/unscrew at 1/4 turns of the screw driver, retune, repeat. Once you start getting it where you like it move down to 1/8 turns. Also if the bridge is sitting above parallel a little bit its not a big deal, the guy I take my guitars to leaves them high so the strings dont bottom out when you raise the pitch, and I think he is able to make the action a little bit lower doing it that way too.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

cat doter posted:

Divebombs and harmonic squeals are obnoxious and annoying.

Someone doesn't play metal.

Ibanez JEM for life bro.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Aren't locking nuts pretty much required for floyd roses? I don't know, I'm just asking. My buddy hated changing strings on his FR bridge strat, but when we pulled it out of storage (with the locking nut) after 4 years, it was still in tune (within 20 cents).

GLC
Feb 21, 2001

Hadlock posted:

Aren't locking nuts pretty much required for floyd roses? I don't know, I'm just asking. My buddy hated changing strings on his FR bridge strat, but when we pulled it out of storage (with the locking nut) after 4 years, it was still in tune (within 20 cents).

You can get away with a good nut and locking tuners (I think this is Carvin's default Floyd setup these days), but you're still going to risk some level of binding in the nut compared. A locking nut is going to be the easier pick for mass manufacture and should guarantee tuning stability with a wide variety of string gauges, which may explain why they're still the most common solution.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Got a JBL LSR2310SP 10" subwoofer at Tom Lee's boxing week sale. It compliments the ADAM A7s very nicely, and it's tough to believe it's only a 10" in there. Very linear, very deep, effortless bass. I'm a fan.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Color me jealous. I've been wanting a new studio sub for awhile, mine's just too bulky. Good linear reproduction but it isn't deep enough to reproduce cinematic content (BOOM BOOM). KRK makes a sub matched to my monitors that I'll pick up eventually, but I have heard that one and it is a great sub to match up with some quality monitors.

metalhead
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
In light of all the floyd rose bashing, I think some clarification is needed. Floyd roses aren't all about doing divebombs and squeals-for me, at least, the lopro edge on my 7620 is an extremely comfortable platform to rest the meat of my hand on for fast alt picking. Combined with a tremel-no (which I highly, highly recommend btw), I pretty much get the best of both worlds: a floyd rose bridge that's locked down in hardtail mode. I still get the comfort and tuning stability of a floyd, and string and tuning changes are a snap with the tremel-no (just like a hardtail). Not to mention the nice boost in sustain :)

To Daughter: floyds are brilliant, but they require professional setup. If you don't know what you're doing, take that iceman to a tech and have it set up and intonated. Like someone said, once they're set up, they don't need to be touched again at all!

metalhead fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 19, 2010

proj
Jan 4, 2010
Digidesign Digi002

Akai MPK49

esq
Dec 1, 2008

I'll have a white russian.
BAM, mahfuggas.

It ends up doing the tube screamer thing better than... well, my tube screamer. The way I like to have it set, anyway. It chimes you right the hell up too when its in "clean" mode. Nice machine.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

esq posted:

BAM, mahfuggas.

It ends up doing the tube screamer thing better than... well, my tube screamer. The way I like to have it set, anyway. It chimes you right the hell up too when its in "clean" mode. Nice machine.

I heard about this guy a while back...heard nothing but good stuff. would it work well as a nice buffer? or is it not "transparent"?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Choicecut posted:

The guitar must not be setup properly if it is going out of tune that easily. I can beat the total living poo poo out of mine for hours and it never goes out of tune.

Have you had it setup by professional? Might ask around for the local go-to guy where you live.

Well it doesn't actually go out of tune that easily at all, I just don't wack it around like a crazy person. If I'm conservative with the wammy bar it's usually still in tune within a couple cents after a good couple of hours of playing.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Eigenharp Pico, with dedicated MiniMac Core 2 Duo 2.26Ghz... with soon to be plugged in Korg Nano Desk <3

Words cannot describe how cool this setup is :) ... and it's all going to be plugged in for the first time into a live looping rig tomorrow.

esq
Dec 1, 2008

I'll have a white russian.

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

I heard about this guy a while back...heard nothing but good stuff. would it work well as a nice buffer? or is it not "transparent"?
In my experience it works great as a buffer and preamp. Very transparent tone, even with the extra grit boost engaged.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
gently caress yes

NS is coming out with an NXT 5-string electric upright

basically this, but slightly less fancy and $1300

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.

FLX posted:

Got this on Tuesday, to dive headfirst into digital music production. I only played around a little in Auditon so far, but since a friend introduced me to the Ableton Live demo right before Christmas, I knew what my Christmas present for myself would be this year :)

This looks like a good little starter's setup!
If you can't get your head around the Mastering Audio-book, don't worry, it's not intended for beginners, but rather for advanced users.
You'd probably get more mileage from the book "Dance Music Manual" or by getting a book that's teaching you the ins and outs of Ableton. At least as a start!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

warwick5s posted:

gently caress yes

NS is coming out with an NXT 5-string electric upright

basically this, but slightly less fancy and $1300

Proud Wave4 owner here, if it's somehow better than this one then it's going to be astoundingly good. I'd love to invest in the real deal some day, I bought the imported version for my wife and she loves it (and so do I, it just plays really well and sounds great).

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
The NXT is basically the WAV, with a maple body and ebony board, made in the Czech Republic. Same stand, same pickups and stuff.

If they were going to come out with a WAV5 I might be tempted to save the money going with that, as the WAV's are outstanding, but getting a nicer one for a little bit more isn't bad either.

woodhead
Jan 29, 2008
try harder next time.
I just found this on craigslist, it shipped today:

I hope to restore it to something like this:

I think it's pretty.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

woodhead posted:

I just found this on craigslist, it shipped today:

I hope to restore it to something like this: