Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I just started knitting about 2 or 3 days ago now, but here is the start of my first scarf. I have learned to knit, purl and bind off. It is not fancy but my boyfriend preferred the garter stitch so this is boring and basic. I let him pick the yarn, which would be Homespun in Herb Garden. Every picture of it online makes it look really olive green, which it isn't in practice... pardon my cellphone picture, I'm working on it while I'm at work so that's what I have.

Also I joined this Ravelry type place as cipater so I feel less alone. I got a girl at work to teach me and am apparently a fast learner. Ambition ho!

Really, I decided to knit so I could replace the scarf my boyfriend has, which I found out his ex made him. Not because I'm mad, but because I decided I could do it better. :colbert:

Sex Hobbit posted:

If you live in the area of Big Rock, Illinois, you can go to Esther's Place, they'll teach you how to spin (wheel or drop) for free if you buy fiber. It's a lovely cozy little place, and in the spring they'll have lambs to pet :3: All their yarn and fiber is from a co-op of Illinois sources, so you're supporting local farms and small businesses as well! I got this last time I went:

Also awesome and thank you for this because I live in Aurora and that is NOT far. NEAT. Imma go learn how to spin.

Oh hey Moms Stuffing, come over and knit with me since I'm like some plague monster who can't come to your house I think.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

Shnooks posted:

I posted in the facebook thread because I'd definitely be interested in this. I feel kind of weird that QuakeBusters is organized by a ministry, though...

Yeah, that's my dad's ministry. My mom is the one organizing it, but I assure you that the intent is merely to raise awareness and funds for Haiti, not for the ministry. I posted that link because it's a good place to post without clogging up this thread, because the more members that group gets, the more awareness about Haiti there is, and the fact that some people may want to participate in other events that are going to be organized. However, there is absolutely NO pressure to donate to GLOW -- I understand where that's a little ooky for some people, I can assure you that it's a legit org and a first responder (we have people on the ground helping in a refugee camp and rescuing orphans already) in crisis situations, but seriously, donate to wherever you feel comfortable with, whether that's the Red Cross or Doctors Without Borders or whatever.

GLOW's spearheading this but there's no need to donate to them in particular. Quakebusters is simply about raising awareness and funds in general.

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

Is there any chance you/they would accept sewn stuffed animals as well? I have a lot of extra fabric, and can sew faster than I knit.

Totes. Send me a PM when you want and I'll tell you where to send the aminals.

Unrelated, I started making mittens for someone's birthday and the freaking pattern was backwards. Ugh. This is why I make my own patterns whenever I want to knit fair isle. grumpity grump.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

It is not fancy but my boyfriend preferred the garter stitch so this is boring and basic.

When I make dudescarves I generally use 2x2 rib. It's cool looking and masculine too!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I've found the best guy scarf is a sideways garter. It looks very tidy and it's easy to throw in a couple of stripes of color. The only problem is that you have to be comfy with casting on a hundred or more stitches and using circular needles.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Look Under The Rock posted:

When I make dudescarves I generally use 2x2 rib. It's cool looking and masculine too!

Once I finish making this scarf maybe I'll try a K2P2 when making one for my dad. :3: I bought another skein of Homespun in Edwardian since it was a very good neutral dudetone. Soon enough I'll figure out fancy things like MULTIPLE COLORS and increase/decrease, but I think I've done pretty well for less than 3 days total now. It's very rewarding!

Also, even if I wanted to use circular needles I don't think I'm okay with casting on 100+ stitches when I'm trying to make sure I can keep track of 20. :) Someday.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

Also, even if I wanted to use circular needles I don't think I'm okay with casting on 100+ stitches when I'm trying to make sure I can keep track of 20. :) Someday.

The trick is to put a stitch marker every twenty stitches. :v: Then again, I always do everything the overly-complicated way.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Wandering Knitter posted:

I've found the best guy scarf is a sideways garter. It looks very tidy and it's easy to throw in a couple of stripes of color. The only problem is that you have to be comfy with casting on a hundred or more stitches and using circular needles.

SO true. And it goes so quickly, too.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I've been knitting a couple of weeks, and have clocked maybe 15 hours or so of knitting. I can cast on, bind off, knit, purl, yo, and k2g. I taught this to myself, with lots of help from youtube and a booklet I bought. A couple days ago I met a woman whose been knitting for a year and a half, but ONLY knows the knit stitch. She's been making a king size afghan for a year and a half! I was just wondering how common this was, because I was bored to death of just garter stitch in 3 hours, and had to learn something new.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Meow Cadet posted:

I've been knitting a couple of weeks, and have clocked maybe 15 hours or so of knitting. I can cast on, bind off, knit, purl, yo, and k2g. I taught this to myself, with lots of help from youtube and a booklet I bought. A couple days ago I met a woman whose been knitting for a year and a half, but ONLY knows the knit stitch. She's been making a king size afghan for a year and a half! I was just wondering how common this was, because I was bored to death of just garter stitch in 3 hours, and had to learn something new.

I'm the same way, I learned to knit socks within two weeks of picking it up. Some people seem really terrified of trying new techniques, and I honestly don't get it. Some trepedation maybe, but...what is the worst thing that could happen, for real? Anyway I've seen a lot of people who have been knitting for years and years and are "afraid" of purling.

Then people talk about being a fearless knitter and I'm all...that should be reserved for people who knit while jumping out of airplanes or something, surely?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Knitting is only scary if you're using ridiculously expensive or unique one off yarn, because then you don't want to gently caress up. I learnt knit and purl as a little kid, then didn't pick up knitting again until I was about 13 and would make poo poo up as I went along (punk knitting, woooo). Then about age 17 I decided it was time to start following patterns and making real stuff with "proper" yarn, and now I'm back to not caring and punk knitting/sewing/crocheting pretty much unless I'm working on a real project.
Last year I had a quick stab at sock knitting on dpns and I didn't like it. I think the main thing is, there's a good range of socks in the shops that are all cotton and very affordable. I like to make jumpers/bags/whatever because I'm either using a material that shop bought clothes aren't made of (for the same price as a shop bought acrylic, I can make a bamboo or wool mix), or I'm creating a picture or pattern that's not in the shops.

Speaking of real projects, I finished the front of my Dad's jumper today. Only the sleeves to go! Yay! I'm seriously considering stealing it though, it's so baggy and warm looking :ninja:

Any beginner who can stick with a king size garter stitch afghan for a year and a half must only knit when watching gripping drama on TV or something, I could not stay entertained that long on something that big and simple.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

madlilnerd posted:

Any beginner who can stick with a king size garter stitch afghan for a year and a half must only knit when watching gripping drama on TV or something, I could not stay entertained that long on something that big and simple.

Yeah, I would actually go insane and probably kill myself or someone else. I mean, I'm sure I could knit a giant garter stitch blanket but only if I was also knitting seven other things at the same time and rotated them.

I wonder if people do this in other hobbies? Like, "Oh I learned how to sew pillows six years ago and I've made seven thousand of them now. I'm afraid to try curtains haha!"

I've decided to knit up my sock stash this year. It's funny, I'm kind of obsessed with knitting socks and I've been collecting yarn and patterns forever but I've really only ever knit about four pairs. Seriously. It's sort of weird. So I challenged myself to do two pairs a month this whole year. I probably won't make it, it's pretty ambitious. But it's fun anyway!

Of course I stupidly allowed my roommate to pick the first pattern and she picked the most complicated pair in that new Cookie A book. Bitch! And then I finished one and got a massive toothache and had to take a whole week off of doing...well, anything but complaining and taking vicodin, basically. Sigh.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009
I taught myself to knit, too. I started off with a scarf, it had both knit and purl stitches. I couldn't possibly only knit like that forever, so I taught myself how to knit in the round, then I moved to DPN's, then socks.. I started knitting last February. I don't get why people are scared.. it's just yarn. You can rip it out and start over, no harm done.

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
I usually try to learn/do something new with every knitting project. I can't imagine just using garter stitch all the time. In fact, I usually stay away from doing the same project/pattern twice. It just gets too boring, and I like learning new things.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Robin Sparkles posted:

I don't get why people are scared.. it's just yarn. You can rip it out and start over, no harm done.

That's so true. It's not like sewing where once you've cut something, that's it you're screwed and can never get that piece of fabric back. Unless you're knitting 100 tiny squares out of a single ball, chances are if you had to unravel all the way back to the beginning, you'd have a near exact amount of yarn. Of course, if you did knit 100 tiny squares and unravelled them all, you'd have the same amount of yarn, just cut in weird lengths.

Unless you've fundamentally changed it, you can always unravel. Of course, I'm terrified of fundamentally changing anything... get those felting needles away from me!

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009
Speaking of learning new things...
I'm trying to make a placemat for my friend. I designed it myself, and I want to try using two colours at once. I'm having a lot of trouble though.
I tried intarsia at first, but I kept getting holes, or I had to add the colour again because it was too long to carry over. Sometimes the yarn even fell straight out. I'm getting really frustrated and would like to just learn this so I can use it for the future, but nothing seems to be working. I also don't want to add the colour later, because that won't help me learn anything.

Yargh
Jan 12, 2008
ok.

Roflex posted:

I like your afghan! If you can't find an exact match in colour, uh...would a contrasting colour work? I think maybe with brown, a green or blue shade could work.
You want a pompom on your hat? http://belladia.typepad.com/bella_dia/2006/03/post_1.html Enjoy.

Look Under The Rock posted:

For a friend:

Ribbing is cool. :3:

Robin Sparkles posted:

I'm trying to make a placemat for my friend. I designed it myself, and I want to try using two colours at once. I'm having a lot of trouble though.
I tried intarsia at first, but I kept getting holes, or I had to add the colour again because it was too long to carry over. Sometimes the yarn even fell straight out. I'm getting really frustrated and would like to just learn this so I can use it for the future, but nothing seems to be working. I also don't want to add the colour later, because that won't help me learn anything.

Yeah, I'm getting into that. What I can say I know so far is, most colourwork is knit in stocking stitch, and only suitable for flat knitting. With circular knitting, yarns will be at the end of a colour block and have to be cut off and rejoined at the beginning. Don't carry yarn for...maybe over 6 stitches. Weave your ends in so nothing falls out and nothing's a tangled mess. But you might know all that, so :words:

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

Yargh posted:

Yeah, I'm getting into that. What I can say I know so far is, most colourwork is knit in stocking stitch, and only suitable for flat knitting. With circular knitting, yarns will be at the end of a colour block and have to be cut off and rejoined at the beginning. Don't carry yarn for...maybe over 6 stitches. Weave your ends in so nothing falls out and nothing's a tangled mess. But you might know all that, so :words:

I think I've decided to do stranded knitting, I just feel like it will be a waste of yarn..

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Robin Sparkles posted:

If you have big blocks of color you'll want to do intarsia probably. Stranded knitting works better for projects where you never have more than say, ten stitches in a row of the same color. What does it look like?

In intarsia each patch of color has its own little bobbin of yarn that you wind up. To avoid the holes you twist the new yarn around the old one right where you change colors. And you can close up some holes when you weave in the ends, it's pretty normal for the first stitch in a new color to be very loose and look like a big hole.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

If you have big blocks of color you'll want to do intarsia probably. Stranded knitting works better for projects where you never have more than say, ten stitches in a row of the same color. What does it look like?

In intarsia each patch of color has its own little bobbin of yarn that you wind up. To avoid the holes you twist the new yarn around the old one right where you change colors. And you can close up some holes when you weave in the ends, it's pretty normal for the first stitch in a new color to be very loose and look like a big hole.

This is my pattern (ignore the numbers, those are just so I know how many stitches and rows are in certain places.)

The edge of my work will be white, not that black border. I added that black border so that when I initially added my colour, I would be adding more than just 2 or 3 stitches.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Actually if it's a placemat you could do double knitting! That would be awesome. And you'd learn a lot.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

Actually if it's a placemat you could do double knitting! That would be awesome. And you'd learn a lot.

Do you mean continental and english style? I cannot for the life of me do continental. I try every so often, and I just can't do it. :(

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Robin Sparkles posted:

Do you mean continental and english style? I cannot for the life of me do continental. I try every so often, and I just can't do it. :(

Double knitting is where you knit the front and back pieces of your work simultaneously, so that the colors on the back of what you're working on end up as the reverse of the front.

It's explained better on this page, just scroll down a bit.

Edit: I can explain being afraid of knitting. For me, it's not so much the fear of losing yarn as it is not wanting to be annoyed while learning a new technique. It's still not a good excuse, though! v:shobon:v

Gently Used Coat fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 18, 2010

gum bichromate
Sep 4, 2006

~*~*~*~*~*~*~* I AM NOT A SLAVE! TO A BREED!! THAT DOESN'T EXIST!!! THE BEAUTIFUL PIBBLE, THE BEAUTIFUL PIBBLE
~*~*~*~*~*~*
This has bothered me forever, maybe someone can enlighten me. Is there a term for the difference between yarn like this--

and yarn like this--

Is the first one single ply? Homespun? Fluffy?

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....
awapplesauce, I'm assuming you mean the red in the first pic? That looks like a single ply to me. Like Mal worsted. :)

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
The first is single-ply. The only thing I can really tell you is that it felts beautifully.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Yargh posted:

I like your afghan! If you can't find an exact match in colour, uh...would a contrasting colour work? I think maybe with brown, a green or blue shade could work.
You want a pompom on your hat? http://belladia.typepad.com/bella_dia/2006/03/post_1.html Enjoy.

Well, that's my question really, what kinds of colors am I looking to contrast with brown? I've seen some really terrible color choices throughout the years and I'm trying to avoid picking something I'll hate for the life of the afghan. Right now in my stash I have a little bit of deep red and sky blue (probably only enough for 2 patterns), and a ton of goldenrod (enough to make a whole afghan of this size, really). I don't want to use the goldenrod because it's actually fairly close to the brown in most light and I think it'll just look mis-matched.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Wandering Knitter posted:

teknicolor has a point. It all depends if you want to cheat or not.

Also if your friend will punch you if you just make a baby sweater.

Yeah I'd probably punch her. :)

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
I agree that sideways knit scarves make really good dude scarves, but so far I'm digging the look of the linen stitch best:

Made for my boyfriend as a "serious" alternative to his Hufflepuff scarf, using Rowan Tapestry. My dad immediately requested one for his birthday :doh:

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Drei posted:

I agree that sideways knit scarves make really good dude scarves, but so far I'm digging the look of the linen stitch best:

Made for my boyfriend as a "serious" alternative to his Hufflepuff scarf, using Rowan Tapestry. My dad immediately requested one for his birthday :doh:

How does it not curl? When I knit linen stitch it curles up like a sumbitch. I've seen two linen stitch scarves that didn't apear to curl now though.

It's very nice btw!

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

So, this stitch-n-bitch yarn is red heart?

I'm not a yarn elitist so I don't mind using red heart in the slightest, but I thought it interesting. Does it hold up well?

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
I'm only a tactile elitist but it feels pretty good to me. I haven't used it yet, if someone has I'd also love a review.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
Made a quick little fair-isle feather design a few days ago, and knitted up as a tube. At first I was going to use it as a neck-piece to a cloak I'm working on, but now I think I'm going to felt it and use it in a pair of arm-warmer sort things.

Made of reclaimed sweater yarn, knit on size 6's I think.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Completed with poorly lit pictures!

About 8' long and it took me about 4 days on and off. I'm really happy and now I can work on MORE STUFF. Heck yeah.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

How does it not curl? When I knit linen stitch it curles up like a sumbitch. I've seen two linen stitch scarves that didn't apear to curl now though.

It's very nice btw!

Thanks! I have no idea why it doesn't curl though; since linen stitch is stockinette based you'd think it really would. v:sho:v It wasn't even curling before I blocked it either. Maybe it has something to do with the fiber? It is a mystery...

I've decided to embark on making my first pair of socks. The plan was once I get the technique down just to make very simple plain socks with my favorite yarns since I'm not really keen on fancy lacy cabled socks. Then I found this pattern and totally fell in love. I think they'd be gorgeous done up in Starry by Dream in Color, but it would also be the most ambitious project I've embarked on.

Maybe I'll get a few plain pairs done before I consider it...

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I'm a little confused about this glove pattern. I'm at this point:

quote:

Row 19: K8, P2, K4, P2, K8, place next 16 st. on waste yarn, CO 2 st, K to end of row. 46 sts.

Considering I have 44 stitches on after putting the 16 to the side, I'm assuming CO means cast on and not cast off. Does this mean I'm supposed to cast on in the middle of a row? How do I do that?

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Yes, you have to cast on two stitches. Have a look here for how it's done.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Yeah I somehow forgot that google actually gives good results sometimes. Here's where I'm at now:

Inside-out for now, of course, about 2 rounds from beginning on the fingers. I actually started these as socks then realized I didn't really want socks, so they're a little baggy around the wrist but I'm okay with that. The cuff's a little long anyway so I'll probably fold it over and put a button on it or something.

This is my first real venture with DPNs and it took me 4 tries to get anywhere significant. First and third times I somehow had it twisted after I connected it, second time one of the needles fell out of the stitches and in reaching down to pick it up something caught on the yarn and pulled out a ton of stitches. Those blue things on the needles are some foam disc I sliced up and pierced with the needles and I haven't had any problems with that since. I started out extremely slow (about 30 minutes per round in the beginning) but I've been speeding up fairly quickly, getting about 10 rounds an hour now. The second one should go a lot faster.

Yargh
Jan 12, 2008
ok.
Help, please? :shobon:

"With smaller needles, cast on 99 (108, 113, 122, 126) sts. Work in Garter st for 2”, end with a wrong side row. Change to larger needles and *St st, dec 1 st each side every 6 rows 9 (9, 0, 0, 0) times, **every 8 rows 0 (0, 7, 7, 0) times, then every 12 rows 0 (0, 0, 0, 5) times – 81 (90, 99, 108, 116) sts."

* Start stocking stitch?
** Since I'm making the smallest-sized cardigan, do I just obey the dec 1 every 6 rows 9 times only? :psyduck: What is this shittery?!

Drei, Goldaline, Captain Stinkybutt, Roflex all awesome work. :aaa:

I'll be good at knitting someday. :unsmith:

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Yargh posted:

Help, please? :shobon:

"With smaller needles, cast on 99 (108, 113, 122, 126) sts. Work in Garter st for 2”, end with a wrong side row. Change to larger needles and *St st, dec 1 st each side every 6 rows 9 (9, 0, 0, 0) times, **every 8 rows 0 (0, 7, 7, 0) times, then every 12 rows 0 (0, 0, 0, 5) times – 81 (90, 99, 108, 116) sts."

* Start stocking stitch?
** Since I'm making the smallest-sized cardigan, do I just obey the dec 1 every 6 rows 9 times only? :psyduck: What is this shittery?!

Drei, Goldaline, Captain Stinkybutt, Roflex all awesome work. :aaa:

I'll be good at knitting someday. :unsmith:

Not sure about the first question, to the second it looks like you're supposed to end with 81 stitches, or a total of 18 decreases. Not sure what you're making here but if it's got 2 sides then 9x2 = 18, so it looks like that's all you need to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I had a not-so-great day so I went online and bought a $35 skein of sock yarn.

Apparently I will be making either
or

but in

insane orange gloves. Yup. Votes for which?