Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Yeah, I know what you're saying. I usually bring a strobe, but this woman had a half hour free between teaching at MUN (University here in St. John's... yeah, she's a prof, too) and a hockey game. This was kind of spur of the moment. I don't remember if I dodged her entire body, I don't think I did... I know I dodged her face, but it was set to highlights (or mids) and I forgot to set it to shadows and do the other side. When I'm at my own machine, I'm going to redo it and re-upload it.

Thanks for all of the critiques and stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Took this one a Roller Derby girl a while ago and people keep saying they like it. Late afternoon, but taken in the shade of a building before the match.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

angryhampster posted:

I like the composition in that one ^, but it's pretty obvious that her face has been massively brightened.

It looks fine to me. If you don't calibrate your monitor is probably way too bright.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

brad industry posted:

It looks fine to me. If you don't calibrate your monitor is probably way too bright.

Same here, I think it looks fine.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
when shooting on seamless white, how do you make the background come out black?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

when shooting on seamless white, how do you make the background come out black?

Have enough distance between your subject and the background so that the light fallout renders it black. Using a small aperture and a fast shutter speed to limit how much light you get.

Also, obviously light your subject independently from your background (which shouldn't be lit)

but go here for a tutorial - http://www.zarias.com/?p=101

Paragon8 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 13, 2010

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

So I think I've landed a job with a clothing company, and as they've seen I'm a photographer, I think they want me to shoot some more products on models.

Never really done anything like this before, so any tips? I'm thinking of doing it outside, maybe renting an 85mm for the job. I can borrow some studio lighting if I need it.

Also I guess I'll need model releases if they're going up on a website to sell a product?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

In the US yes. You should really be thinking about copyright too.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

evil_bunnY posted:

In the US yes. You should really be thinking about copyright too.

As an employee taking pictures as part of his job, I'd assume the copyright would rest with his employer, making publicity rights/model releases the sticking point.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Maybe he should be try to retain it was what I was hinting at.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Yeah, I'll look into the copyright thing. I'm mainly thinking about model releases right now, and anything else I might need. I'm in the UK so I don't know if I need a permit to shoot or anything.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I've wanted to do something like this for a while, but I'm lacking the balls.

http://photojojo.com/content/photo-projects/how-to-shoot-street-portraits/

VVVV: pretty much just for the experience of having done it. Sure it's been done by lots of people before, but I haven't done it. Yet.

psylent fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 22, 2010

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Why?
Making portraits of strangers can be very interesting, provided that you make interesting photos. Following a formula from a website, which has been repeated ad nauseum, will give you nothing of value.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Back when I was in school, my first photo class instructor wanted us to go take pictures of people on the sidewalk. The class was like "okay." And then he said no telephoto lenses, no photos of the back of people's heads, we had to engage them. You could feel the "oh gently caress what" feeling pass over. Most people fudged it and it was awful (including my attempts). However, I was not a major and knew didly loving squat about photography history and would have struggled to name any photographer other than Adams.

I look back and am embarrassed. Like Reichstag mentions, it's so interesting to take pictures of people on the street (or in a park, or whatever). It's stupid to be nervous. loving do it, you'll get over yourself after doing it once or twice.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Going out and doing it your own way, without that crutch of instructions, will help you much more in the long-term. The pants-making GBS threads is important, getting out of your comfort zone, not gradually extending it.
Asking the first person for their photo will be such a rush that you'll most likely flub the picture completely, and you'll probably love it.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
This was a snapshot, but I really like it.
It took a while to convince him to drink out of the bottle, because it was for the celebration of an event he was putting together. He was very serious, and stressed out. But he finally did it, and I feel like I "nailed it" with the picture.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Reichstag posted:

Going out and doing it your own way, without that crutch of instructions, will help you much more in the long-term. The pants-making GBS threads is important, getting out of your comfort zone, not gradually extending it.
Asking the first person for their photo will be such a rush that you'll most likely flub the picture completely, and you'll probably love it.

I've been trying to do street photography for a while (month) now. And I got maybe one good image hiding behind my 55-250mm lens. A few days ago I saw a busker talking to a five year old and I asked to sit and take photos of it. It was indeed a rush and I hope I can do something similar again.

The photos weren't, for the most part, great but (by my low standard they weren't terrible).
Although I do disagree with you in part. Some basic understanding of what techniques and setting work best in certain environments can save a lot of time and frustration over the few things that can actually be learned through reading.

XTimmy fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jan 23, 2010

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

Reichstag is right, go out and do it, you can read about it all you want but theres no substitute for going out and doing it, the "rules" will go out the window you first speak to someone.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

fordan posted:

As an employee taking pictures as part of his job, I'd assume the copyright would rest with his employer, making publicity rights/model releases the sticking point.

Photographers should never give up their copyright, you're a contractor not an employee.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

XTimmy posted:

Some basic understanding of what techniques and setting work best in certain environments can save a lot of time and frustration over the few things that can actually be learned through reading.

This is almost 100% based on your locations, and your intentions, which aren't things you can read about (unless you happen to be taking pictures at a tourist location or something).
By all means, prepare. Scout your locations, get to know the light, get a feel for the people there, think about the shots you want to make before you make them.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

brad industry posted:

Photographers should never give up their copyright, you're a contractor not an employee.
Bingo. You were not initially hired as a "Photographer." But, if you are not specific about this they will do their best (in my experience) to claim it was part of expanded and willful job duties.

Get an understanding in writing that you are being payed as a contractor. They may whine about accounting/taxes/you making this too difficult, but it's the right way.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

psylent posted:

VVVV: pretty much just for the experience of having done it. Sure it's been done by lots of people before, but I haven't done it. Yet.

Calling dorkasaurus_rex to this thread, this is right up his alley.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

brad industry posted:

I absolutely agree with that statement assuming you replace the comma with an if.

If taking the photos are part of his job, then he's not a contractor and the photos are a "work made for hire." If it's for someone other than his employer, than he is a contractor. If the photography is incidental to his employment, it gets hazy and needs to be discussed as both sides have decent arguments for copyright ownership if no prior arrangement is made.

At least from my understanding of US law. However, I am not a lawyer, and UK law may be different.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I'm gonna have a chat with the owners of the company when it all gets sorted out in a couple of weeks and I meet them. Chances are I'll probably be doing more shooting for their other companies too so I need to get this sorted soon.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Interrupting Moss posted:

Bingo. You were not initially hired as a "Photographer." But, if you are not specific about this they will do their best (in my experience) to claim it was part of expanded and willful job duties.

Yeah, that is how mine has worked. I never bothered trying to get the copyright as all the stuff I'm shooting is going online for free educational use anyways, which is a dealbreaker for stock agencies AFAIK. Nice for fleshing out my portfolio and getting away from a computer screen (plus paid travel), and I bring my rangefinder along to shoot pictures for myself nowadays.

Leyendecker
Oct 31, 2008

:sun:

Reichstag posted:

Reichstag- normally I think you're way too harsh on people but in this instance I totally agree. Spontaneity is only going to lead to good things in the long run- just get over yourself and start a conversation. There are a lot of characters waiting to be found if you just talk to people and make them comfortable with you.

I missed shooting black and white and figured I'd try out RAW processing without color for once- it was pretty fun.

Luk3
Nov 25, 2005

I haven't shot anything for a long time, been just really busy with work and life in general, so I brought the lights out and did a quick self portrait. I've been really wanting to make use of the vagabond power pack I bought, but I just haven't had the opportunity. I like the idea above of just going to a street corner and making it happen, I think I'll plan on doing that this summer.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I don't know that this is really the right thread for this, but I need to vent somewhere. Huge group photos are a huge pain in the rear end. When that huge group is every sorority on campus, ten times so. Ugh.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Groups are the worst, there are so many problems and I've seen very, very, few that are interesting. The interesting ones have required DAYS of preparation that most groups simply don't understand/care about.

So you did well enough, I'd say.

e: and it's their own drat fault they didn't look at the camera after being told 6,000 times and taking several shots

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 27, 2010

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

BobTheCow posted:

I don't know that this is really the right thread for this, but I need to vent somewhere. Huge group photos are a huge pain in the rear end. When that huge group is every sorority on campus, ten times so. Ugh.

All I can think of is getting up on a really high ladder and using a T/S lens (or large format camera with movements) to move the focal plane to cover the sweep of the heads.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!
Why do 90% of sorority girls always do the pop a squat off to the side, hands on the knees move? I feel like there is some big secret I am missing out on- who told them that weird combo looks good?

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
There was actually another photographer on the second floor behind me who did another round of shots to get more of them visible, but she kept messing with the exposure and most of them didn't come out so hot.

And about that front row pose, I have no idea. I then had to do group shots of each sorority individually, and most of them did the same thing.

There was a woman with me who was basically a handler, her sole job was to arrange them and get them all to shut the gently caress up for two seconds to let me take a photograph. That's still the best shot of like ten. Ugh.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Jahoodie posted:

Why do 90% of sorority girls always do the pop a squat off to the side, hands on the knees move? I feel like there is some big secret I am missing out on- who told them that weird combo looks good?

I think it probably makes a lot more sense when they're wearing a dress. It looks strange with pants though.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Jahoodie posted:

Good eye, that's the "sorority squat"

It's so that you can do a multi-level group photo easily without having chairs-- and yeah, it makes more sense with a dress.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

BobTheCow posted:

There was a woman with me who was basically a handler, her sole job was to arrange them and get them all to shut the gently caress up for two seconds to let me take a photograph. That's still the best shot of like ten. Ugh.

If you think sorority girls are bad, try college football players :v:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Pompous Rhombus posted:

This was an "icebreaker" shot in the middle of about 10...getting them all to look at the door. I liked it, but can't use it, so didn't process it at all. But, I've found that with kids if I can get them all looking away, when I tell them to look back, I have a second when they are all going to be looking right at me.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

You need to bring along a healthy-chested woman to the shoot.

Before:

:dance::cheers::butt::downs::hehe:

Ta-da!

:sonia:

After:

:aaa::aaa::aaa::aaa::aaa:

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

psylent posted:

I always thought it would be fun to buy three or four cheap, old picture frames (like what you see in any thrift store) and set up on a busy street corner somewhere. Let people pick their favorite, then have them hold it up and pose inside however they want. I haven't had an original idea in decades, so I'm probably just remembering someone else that did this; still, I think it would be neat. I'll bet you'd get lots of volunteers, especially if you handed out a url where they could see their portraits later.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 28, 2010

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Pompous Rhombus posted:

All I can think of is getting up on a really high ladder and using a T/S lens (or large format camera with movements) to move the focal plane to cover the sweep of the heads.

Thinking of how I'd shoot this on anything that didn't have movements gives me the screaming heebie jeebies.

Then again, thinking of trying to get just the right shot of several hundred people on sheet film does that, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
I've got a gig for Metromix for today, taking pictures at a "Winter Wine & Ski Expo".
They'll pay $75 for 30 pictures, which is not bad considering that I do photography as a hobby.

I'm supposed to get shots of people in 2s or 3s, which I think will be easy enough to do.
The guy who hired me gave me galleries like this one for inspiration: http://reno.metromix.com/music/photogallery/oakenfold-at-grand-sierra/1263867/content
So all I'm doing is:
- Ask people to take their picture
- Compose for shot of them from waist - up
- I have a 580EXII flash with a Lumiquest Diffuser. I'll take a couple with it on camera, but if not, I'll use a TTL cable to have it off camera, and on my left hand.
- Get people's names, write them down along with the IMG#

Also: I get in for free (instead of paying the $50 or whatever to get in), sounds like there'll be free food and hopefully I can find discounts or something for some of the ski resorts I like to hit up.
Exciting stuff! I've only gotten paid for pictures once before, so I hope this goes well so I can do it again... and use the money to save up and spend on more photo gear :)