Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DiscoKid
May 25, 2004

by Fistgrrl

frozenphil posted:

Would you not get it if we didn't think it looked good?

I depend on the internet for all fashion advice and every purchase I've ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

DiscoKid posted:

Do you guys think this

looks cool and will perform well for the price?
http://www.leatherup.com/p/Scorpion-Helmets/EXO-700-SCORPION-Gold-Helmet/57115.html
http://www.leatherup.com/p/Mens-Motorcycle-Jackets/TOURMASTER-MENS-COASTER-II-JACKET-FLAT-BLACK-BROWN/62295.html

Total of about $640.

edit: It's either this or a new set of golf clubs...

That seems really expensive for a helmet (especially a Scorpion, which can be had for as little as $80 or so at Newenough) and a jacket.

DiscoKid
May 25, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Radbot posted:

That seems really expensive for a helmet (especially a Scorpion, which can be had for as little as $80 or so at Newenough) and a jacket.

I edited my original post, it's closer to $470 total for both, and I didn't see that helmet on newenough. Is that still too high do you think?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
I can help! You shouldn't get a new set of golf clubs, because golf is stupid.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I can help! You shouldn't get a new set of golf clubs, because golf is stupid.

There's pretty much no way to look cool while playing golf so you should probably cross it off of your list.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

DiscoKid posted:

I edited my original post, it's closer to $470 total for both, and I didn't see that helmet on newenough. Is that still too high do you think?

I'd go for it, personally. I had some tourmaster gear I was really happy with, and scorpions are good helmet. I like the look too, and that helmet would be utterly badass if it didn't have the stupid scorpion name across the front. As it is, it's still pretty badass.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

frozenphil posted:

There's pretty much no way to look cool while playing golf so you should probably cross it off of your list.

What if he played golf in that helmet/jacket combo?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

DiscoKid posted:

edit: It's either this or a new set of golf clubs...(changed the price from my original post, misread the prices)

This is much cooler, and offers better protection in a motorbike accident. However, the golf clubs provide better protection in a home invasion. Tough call.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

DiscoKid posted:

Do you guys think this

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Scorpion-Helmets/EXO-700-SCORPION-Gold-Helmet/57115.html
http://www.leatherup.com/p/Mens-Motorcycle-Jackets/TOURMASTER-MENS-COASTER-II-JACKET-FLAT-BLACK-BROWN/62295.html

Total of about $470.

edit: It's either this or a new set of golf clubs...(changed the price from my original post, misread the prices)

I've been wanting that jacket for at least a season or two now. Buy it and post a review. That helmet as noted is pricy for an EXO-700, good helmet though.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

DiscoKid posted:

Do you guys think this

Total of about $470.

I love and wear Scorpion helmets, but gently caress, $250? You gotta be able to find one for less than that.

The Coaster jacket is a solid piece of gear. I have the previous generation Tourmaster Coaster, and it's beefy as hell, has great armor, and looks classy, and only falls short in the (socal) winter when the vent zippers pass way too much cold air when they're closed. Maybe the Coaster 2 has improved on that particular issue.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What is with the new collar-less trend in jackets?

:argh:

LOOK AT IT! JUST LOOK AT IT!

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Why do you need a collar?

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

frozenphil posted:

To be fair, a collar does probably make you look less like a bobble-head with your helmet on.

:siren: fashion police :siren:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Found out my old hand me down firstgear stuff isn't great in the rain. Got to work with a wet rear end and a couple wet spots on my shirt. So I think it is time I finally buy some good daily use gear, especially since the stuff I am using doesn't fit me at all and is pretty beat up.

I want a one piece textile suit, would prefer something with armor and bright colors. The obvious choice is a AeroStitch but they are expensive as hell, nice but expensive. Friend is a parts guy and they stock the TourMaster Centurion, good price and has armor but the colors are black or grey. They also have the Olympia Phantom which is a little more than the Centurion but comes in a nice bright neon yellow. I can get a pretty good deal on either through him and he can also order aerostitch but I'm wondering if the extra couple hundred or so is worth it for the stitch vs the others.

This will be used for hopefully year round commuting in Knoxville. 22-25 miles interstate and highway with some intown as well. From what I've seen living here since July summer temps 90+ winter temps in the low 20's on occasion and lots of rain.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 20, 2010

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

frozenphil posted:

My neck gets cold.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

M.C. McMic posted:

To be fair, a collar does probably make you look less like a bobble-head with your helmet on.

:siren: fashion police :siren:

Also it won't cover neck tattoos, one of the few places they will be visible if you're wearing a jacket/helmet/pants.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

There's no point to having a collar on a warm-weather jacket.

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

Also it won't cover neck tattoos, one of the few places they will be visible if you're wearing a jacket/helmet/pants.

Better idea: don't get neck tats

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Found out my old hand me down firstgear stuff isn't great in the rain. Got to work with a wet rear end and a couple wet spots on my shirt. So I think it is time I finally buy some good daily use gear, especially since the stuff I am using doesn't fit me at all and is pretty beat up.

I want a one piece textile suit, would prefer something with armor and bright colors. The obvious choice is a AeroStitch but they are expensive as hell, nice but expensive. Friend is a parts guy and they stock the TourMaster Centurion, good price and has armor but the colors are black or grey. They also have the Olympia Phantom which is a little more than the Centurion but comes in a nice bright neon yellow. I can get a pretty good deal on either through him and he can also order aerostitch but I'm wondering if the extra couple hundred or so is worth it for the stitch vs the others.

This will be used for hopefully year round commuting in Knoxville. 22-25 miles interstate and highway with some intown as well. From what I've seen living here since July summer temps 90+ winter temps in the low 20's on occasion and lots of rain.

Have you considered just picking up a cheap rainsuit and buying leather instead?

On the textile front, everyone who has an aerostitch that I know loves theirs, with the exception of the wet crotch issue that pops up if you don't keep it waterproofed. Personally, I figure I'll probably use gear for years, so I don't feel too bad about shelling out a couple hundred extra for something that I feel is really worth the price. Is there any chance of you getting your hands on an aerostitch to compare it to the other gear options you have? Sometimes you find features that make or break the gear when you look at it in person.

Bob Morales posted:

It's so that your jacket doesn't choke you when you're running full tuck as you outrun the cops. :smug:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

redscare posted:

Better idea: don't get neck tats

You're never going to become a professional factory stunter with that kind of attitude!

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

frozenphil posted:

You're never going to become a professional factory stunter with that kind of attitude!

That's ok, I prefer to be gainfully employed instead

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

redscare posted:

Okay then, when I'm wearing my jacket with a dress shirt and tie underneath, you can see it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

why get a neck tattoo if you don't want people to see your neck tattoo?

i actually have a reason not to wear collarless jackets. i once got stung by a wasp on my neck while wearing a collarless jacket. stung me in the half inch of exposed skin between helmet chin and jacket.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
wasps are bastards though. I had a little bit of slack in my sleeve when I was out on the highway, and felt a weird pain in my arm that made me think I had been hit by a piece of glass or something. It wasn't keeping me from having fun, so I road around a bit more and went home. As I'm taking off my gear and telling my dad the weird story, I look at my wrist and see it's definitely not a cut or anything--so I say I must have been stung by a wasp. We're both pretty skeptical though, as I start to take off my jacket and I say 'well what else would it be?' and then a wasp flew out of my armpit.

Here's the kicker; I hardly ever have wasps in my armpit, usually.

The moral of the story is, there is no amount of anything that will keep a wasp from stinging you. They're al queda.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

NitroSpazzz posted:

I've got the Olympia Phantom in high-viz, it took me across Canada into Alaska and up to Prudhoe Bay.

Something to point out regarding it is that the shell itself is only water resistant. To be actually water proof, you have to add the insulated liner.

With the liner, I've ridden in the teens with only a tee-shirt and fleece on under it and been comfortable. If you take out the liner, I've been in 85 degrees and as long as you never stop moving, you'll live, but you'll smell like feet wrapped in old bacon after more then half an hour. There's big zipper vents in the arms, chest, and back, but nothing on the legs, so if it's really warm you'll end up wiht some powerful swampass.

I will say that if you're riding through pouring rain for hours and hours on end, it can occasionally leak around the liner zipper, and you get a wet crotch and front of shirt. Made me miserable as gently caress going through the Northwest Territories.

Overall I like the suit a lot, though. They're for sale very gently used on ADVrider's flea market pretty frequently, I've seen them going for less then $300 in nearly-new condition.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Nitrospazz;

For what it's worth, I love my Olympia jacket. It's got a nice 2-piece liner setup, and the shell itself is reasonably water-resistant for light sprinkles. THe jacket and rain liner kept me dry in a pretty good downpour in Colorado last summer, and I was riding down into the upper 30's with both liners in. Right now I have just a pair of rainpants that I toss on over my regular pants for cooler/damp weather, but I'm definitely looking at the Ranger overpants to complete my gear setup. I'm assuming you can go try on the gear at a local shop? I'd be somewhat leery buying a one-piece un-tried.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Bob Morales posted:

Okay then, when I'm wearing my jacket with a dress shirt and tie underneath, you can see it.

If I didn't care about gear I'd totally ride around in a suit and tie every once in a while.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

blugu64 posted:

If I didn't care about gear I'd totally ride around in a suit and tie every once in a while.

I saw that all the time when I was living in India. Guys with two and three piece suits, with a briefcase between their legs on a little scooter.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

why get a neck tattoo if you don't want people to see your neck tattoo?

i actually have a reason not to wear collarless jackets. i once got stung by a wasp on my neck while wearing a collarless jacket. stung me in the half inch of exposed skin between helmet chin and jacket.

I realized I worded it poorly but figured everyone would get the gist. I was listing that as a "pro" for the collarless jacket. I see neck tattoos a lot on the stuntahs around here. I think they're sort of funny for the reason already said - you can tell at a glance they're never going to hold a serious job ever again.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

blugu64 posted:

I ride to work wearing a button down shirt and tie, khakis and dress shoes, gloves/textile jacket/helmet. Doubt they would like me showing up in my track gear.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Tsaven Nava posted:

I saw that all the time when I was living in India. Guys with two and three piece suits, with a briefcase between their legs on a little scooter.

Brilliant new avatar

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

redscare posted:

I have a neck tattoo and am gainfully employed. My job kicks rear end, actually.

I see two reasons for collars on jackets:

1) Wind and debris protection
2) All men should wear collars, because that's just how it is

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

If collars are good enough for clint eastwood they're good enough for you.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

I realized I worded it poorly but figured everyone would get the gist. I was listing that as a "pro" for the collarless jacket. I see neck tattoos a lot on the stuntahs around here. I think they're sort of funny for the reason already said - you can tell at a glance they're never going to hold a serious job ever again.
professional factory stunna is pretty serious work brah

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

schreibs posted:

I ride to work wearing a button down shirt and tie, khakis and dress shoes, gloves/textile jacket/helmet. Doubt they would like me showing up in my track gear.

You could always change at work.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

I commute 99% of the time. I typically wear jeans, boots, gloves and jacket. I wear a t-shirt under my jacket and keep a polo or button-down in my backpack. I keep a pair of shoes under my desk for use during the day. When I do wear my over-pants in the rain or cold weather I have jeans on underneath.

Its really not a big deal to be fully geared when you are commuting to work.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
How do you guys feel about kevlar jeans vs. actual textile or leather riding pants?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Bob Morales posted:

I ride the bike into work unless it is snowing, it doesn't snow that much in Knoxville. I ride in with A* SMX boots, full gauntlet gloves, helmet, textile overpants and jacket. Keep a pair of work shoes under my desk to use if I am going to around customers or handling electronics otherwise I wear the boots all day. Work pants (clean jeans) and a polo or button up under the jacket. Only takes a minute or so to get in/out of the gear.

On the topic of track gear to work I did it one morning when I was only going to be in for an hour or so. You get some odd looks sitting at a desk in one piece leathers.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are Sidi Vertigo boots overkill for someone who has no plans of going to the track and doesn't ride like Rossi on the street?

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

kylej posted:

Are Sidi Vertigo boots overkill for someone who has no plans of going to the track and doesn't ride like Rossi on the street?

Eh, go for it. I don't really think there is such a thing as "overkill" in this case. I wear Vertigos on the street and I'm not a terribly aggressive rider. That said, the primary reason I bought them was because they were the only armored boot available in a wide size. Also, they are really nice boots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

kylej posted:

No. Buy the most protective gear you'll wear. I can say with near certainty that you will never get hit by a car on the track ('cept for that one dude who got nailed by the crash truck :doh:), but that can definitely happen on the street, yet people somehow think that street riding will be easier on your gear than track riding. There's a lot more curbs and bullshit to hit on the street than there is on the track.