Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Take him to the vet and/or stop feeding him your food to see if it stops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
This is just a general sort of question, but why are kittens such huge assholes? And does the male kitten's assholery go down any after neutering? He's getting the snip tomorrow.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I think the biggest reason kittens are such jerks is because of their ridiculous amounts of energy. Unless there are multiple kittens around to wear each other out, kittens have way, way more energy than the average human or adult animal can handle, and that energy translates into assholish behavior. As well, they're like babies-- they're still learning how to function in the world. And, like babies, they learn well with reinforcement and patience.

And yes, most male kittens become a lot calmer after they're snipped. It's not instantaneous and it's not always the case, but it's generally true.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
Is there an easy way to find out if one of my cats has worms? I found something on my bed that I could have sworn was a dried tapeworm, but I've been staring at my cats' assholes for days now and haven't seen anything! There were definitely some fleas going on before then but I had them treated pretty quickly and started damage control ASAP (vacuuming, etc).

I've been through the tapeworm thing before and I usually had no problem finding another worm to confirm my suspicions. Will tapeworms just... go away? Is it possible that only one tapeworm crawled out a cat's butt and that was it?

grizzle
Jul 18, 2007

Winner Winner
Chicken Dinner
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone posting in this thread for such awesome info.
I have four cats: a 14 year-old male who has always been blind, male and female 4-month old kittens, and a big year-old alpha male.

Recently, I have had to take in my parents' cat for the next three months, and it was NOT going well. Trixie (the guest) was not eating, and was so stressed I was worried for her health. She's 13, declawed and is just surly anyway - probably because she's declawed, poor thing.

I did not think it would be possible to integrate the whole crew. I turned desperately to Pet Island for guidance. After about 10 days of keeping them separate with short, one-on-one visits accompanied by lots of treats and praise, I am sitting in a house with all five roaming free. It's not a kittenpile quite yet, but we're on our way to coexistence.

So thanks Pet Island! :glomp:

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

spatula posted:

Is there an easy way to find out if one of my cats has worms? I found something on my bed that I could have sworn was a dried tapeworm, but I've been staring at my cats' assholes for days now and haven't seen anything! There were definitely some fleas going on before then but I had them treated pretty quickly and started damage control ASAP (vacuuming, etc).

I've been through the tapeworm thing before and I usually had no problem finding another worm to confirm my suspicions. Will tapeworms just... go away? Is it possible that only one tapeworm crawled out a cat's butt and that was it?

I'd just head to the vet. Since your cats had fleas pretty recently, it's entirely possible they caught tapeworm from them. Worms aren't usually that expensive to treat so there isn't much point in waiting around.

Speaking of which, I just found out that my kitties have had roundworms for months without me knowing it. :( I hope you guys are all bringing poo to your cats' exams so that they don't have to suffer for months for no reason.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
I take it you all have indoor cats?

We worm and flea our cats every month because of the chance of picking something up from wild animal droppings. I supposed with an indoor cat you wouldn't have to do that.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

spatula posted:

Will tapeworms just... go away? Is it possible that only one tapeworm crawled out a cat's butt and that was it?

No and No. The pieces you see are just a tiny part of the actual worm, they are segments with nothing in them but eggs and the reason they move after coming out of your kitty is to spread eggs all over the place. This is also why tapeworms are hard to detect on a fecal, the eggs are not released inside the cat.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004

HondaCivet posted:

I'd just head to the vet. Since your cats had fleas pretty recently, it's entirely possible they caught tapeworm from them. Worms aren't usually that expensive to treat so there isn't much point in waiting around.

Ugh but they are expensive. The pills themselves are somewhere between $20-30 per cat. AND one of my cats hasn't been to the vet yet (he was vaccinated/neutered at a low-cost clinic) so they won't prescribe him stuff because he's not a patient of theirs.

I just want to KNOW they have worms before I throw down all this money to treat them both for it because I found something that may have been a tapeworm segment, or maybe a booger.

Should I call around? I can deal with paying for just the tapeworm pills but I can't throw down an extra $80 or whatever for a whole first-time appointment. Do you think some place like the Humane Society would help me out?

^^I have indoor cats and I give them a monthly preventative for fleas and heartworm. I was late on it this month though because my new kitty wasn't in the weight bracket for the flea stuff I already had, fuuuuuuuuu

EDIT: Can't I just buy this stuff on the internet? http://www.amazon.com/Tape-Worm-Tabs-Cat-Btl/dp/B00006K14E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1263662000&sr=8-1

EDIT 2: I looked into it more and it sounds like they changed this stuff to over-the-counter status sometime since the last time my older kitty last had worms. Brilliant!

spatula fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 16, 2010

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
So my Fiancee and I just picked up two little balls of fluff from the vets office the other day. I've had cats all my life, and so we have some things leftover from my last cat that I had to put down about 2 months ago. We aren't too sure what was wrong with him, he was only 11 but the vets seemed to think it was Kidney related.

Anyhoo, is there any danger of using any of my old supplies? I was specifically thinking the fountains he used to drink out of, we already bought a new litter box and food containers just to be safe.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

shaitan posted:

Anyhoo, is there any danger of using any of my old supplies? I was specifically thinking the fountains he used to drink out of, we already bought a new litter box and food containers just to be safe.

Most likely no danger, but if it eases your mind, give the fountains a good scrubbing with a mild bleach solution or something equally sanitizing followed by thorough rinsing.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Hi PI.

I am getting a ragdoll kitten from a breeder this summer and was wondering if you could tell me your thoughts on their cattery. I've been talking to the breeder for the past day or so and everything seems great, but I know there are more knowledgeable people than me here, so I thought I'd ask for opinions. :)

http://www.littleappleragdolls.com/index.php

I know some people are against breeders, but I've thought this all out, weighed the pros and cons, and am happy with my decision. I just want to make sure I get my kitten from a good place.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

A Spider Covets posted:

Hi PI.

I am getting a ragdoll kitten from a breeder this summer and was wondering if you could tell me your thoughts on their cattery. I've been talking to the breeder for the past day or so and everything seems great, but I know there are more knowledgeable people than me here, so I thought I'd ask for opinions. :)

http://www.littleappleragdolls.com/index.php

I know some people are against breeders, but I've thought this all out, weighed the pros and cons, and am happy with my decision. I just want to make sure I get my kitten from a good place.

I'm not super familiar with cat fancy, but I would be hesitant to buy a purebred kitten from a place where none of the breeding stock is championed. It also looks like they're breeding some cats who haven't reached their full adult size yet, which seems kind of strange. The one-year genetic defect guarantee (where they offer to replace with another kitten) is kind of useless, since many genetic defects won't manifest for several years down the line.

Ignore this next bit if you're absolutely sure about getting a purebred -

I have a big sweet floppy long-haired doofus who weighs about 18 lbs and will put up with just about anything. I got him at age 1 from an animal shelter, and it was already quite clear that he was laid-back and incredibly sweet. No one wanted him because he wasn't a kitten, but he was exactly what I was looking for. He has a lot of the physical and temperament characteristics of a Ragamuffin. This isn't that surprising, given the history of the Ragdoll and Ragamuffin breeds - being hit by a car supposedly caused a DLH to start having kittens that were super docile.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Engineer Lenk posted:

I'm not super familiar with cat fancy, but I would be hesitant to buy a purebred kitten from a place where none of the breeding stock is championed. It also looks like they're breeding some cats who haven't reached their full adult size yet, which seems kind of strange. The one-year genetic defect guarantee (where they offer to replace with another kitten) is kind of useless, since many genetic defects won't manifest for several years down the line.

Ignore this next bit if you're absolutely sure about getting a purebred -

I have a big sweet floppy long-haired doofus who weighs about 18 lbs and will put up with just about anything. I got him at age 1 from an animal shelter, and it was already quite clear that he was laid-back and incredibly sweet. No one wanted him because he wasn't a kitten, but he was exactly what I was looking for. He has a lot of the physical and temperament characteristics of a Ragamuffin. This isn't that surprising, given the history of the Ragdoll and Ragamuffin breeds - being hit by a car supposedly caused a DLH to start having kittens that were super docile.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm brand new to breeders and catteries, so I hadn't noticed either of those two things... I agree with you that it's a bit odd now that I think about it. I'll keep them in mind, but will continue looking for other catteries as well in the meantime. Another cattery I was looking at is:

http://www.arcticblueragdolls.com/index.html

In response to the second part, I know that shelter cats can be wonderful pets - the cat I have right now has been with me since I was 9, and she's from a shelter. However, I recently adopted a second cat from a shelter and she turned out to have very severe aggression issues... so much that I've got a collection of new scars and am having to give her away to a family friend who takes care of feral cats. The whole event really stung me, since I was super attached to the cat despite her problems, and I just want to make sure this time that it doesn't happen again. I'm sure that I'll get shelter cats again later in my life though, after my older cat passes on.

A Spider Covets fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 20, 2010

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
My concern about the cattery would be that they seem willing to sell any one a cat even offering special deals. All you seem to need is a $200 deposit.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Engineer Lenk posted:

I would be hesitant to buy a purebred kitten from a place where none of the breeding stock is championed.

Indeed the first 'queen' listed is the daughter of a champion... rings alarm bells to me.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

A Spider Covets posted:

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm brand new to breeders and catteries, so I hadn't noticed either of those two things... I agree with you that it's a bit odd now that I think about it. I'll keep them in mind, but will continue looking for other catteries as well in the meantime. Another cattery I was looking at is:

http://www.arcticblueragdolls.com/index.html

In response to the second part, I know that shelter cats can be wonderful pets - the cat I have right now has been with me since I was 9, and she's from a shelter. However, I recently adopted a second cat from a shelter and she turned out to have very severe aggression issues... so much that I've got a collection of new scars and am having to give her away to a family friend who takes care of feral cats. The whole event really stung me, since I was super attached to the cat despite her problems, and I just want to make sure this time that it doesn't happen again. I'm sure that I'll get shelter cats again later in my life though, after my older cat passes on.

What shelter did you go through? If all you really want is a cat that's good with people and other cats, perhaps all you need is to talk to a rescue that fosters their animals and gets to know each individual better.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

HondaCivet posted:

What shelter did you go through? If all you really want is a cat that's good with people and other cats, perhaps all you need is to talk to a rescue that fosters their animals and gets to know each individual better.

I got my cat from a local cat rescue shelter. Right now I'm really interested in getting a ragdoll, as well as a cat that's guaranteed to do well and be a safe presence in my home (particularly since I want children someday). The tip about fostered animals is good though, and I'll definitely keep it in mind next time I adopt. :)

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

A Spider Covets posted:

I got my cat from a local cat rescue shelter. Right now I'm really interested in getting a ragdoll, as well as a cat that's guaranteed to do well and be a safe presence in my home (particularly since I want children someday). The tip about fostered animals is good though, and I'll definitely keep it in mind next time I adopt. :)

Keep in mind that the breed isn't a guarantee of temperament. If you need a docile cat, you'd be better off getting a cat that's already proven to be docile, whether through a Ragdoll rescue if you really like the breed or some other local shelter if the breed is negotiable.

There's also the issue of raising a solo kitten, or raising a kitten with only an elderly cat in the household. Common wisdom recommends getting a pair to save your own sanity (and the other cat's).

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

A Spider Covets posted:

Can you tell us what area you're in? There might be a breed rescue near you that might have adult ragdolls whose temperaments are already known.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Can you tell us what area you're in? There might be a breed rescue near you that might have adult ragdolls whose temperaments are already known.

Sure! I am in the Twin Cities area in Minnesota.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

A Spider Covets posted:

Sure! I am in the Twin Cities area in Minnesota.

Someone else might know more about this than I do, but here's a start:
Purebred Cat Rescue - seems to be sort of Wisconsin based.
Purebred Cat Breed Rescue - a resource site for breed rescues, where you can contact different rescue groups
Ragdoll Rescue USA - Based in Illinois, I think.

You may be able to get better information by contacting a shelter/rescue directly.

There are a good number of hits for "ragdoll" breed cats near Minneapolis & St. Paul on petfinder, too.

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008
Welp, here I am again. I posted a few weeks ago with my 2 female cats not getting along and one peeing all over everything. We as a household have picked up the slack to try and improve the situation and it's only gotten worse, I think.

First, we clean the litter boxes everyday, no exceptions. This was the hardest, but it's surprising how much longer our litter lasts, so I'm pleased. Second, we've kept clothing/plastic things/containers off the floor whenever possible, as to not entice the cat to pee on them(as she's done in the past). Third, I added another litter box. I wasn't sure if this would help, but I've read that you should have a box for every cat plus another one, so now we have 5 boxes with 4 cats.

Now within the past week, we've found the female cat pooping on anything in sight. A jacket fell off the back of a chair(or was pulled down, it happened during the night) and was pooped all over. My wife brought up a basket of clothes before she left for work this morning and when I woke up, there was poop in it. Moreover, she was folding clothes yesterday, went into the kitchen and came back to find the cat peeing in one of our baskets of socks without a care in the world :\

We're getting to the point where we literally don't know what to do anymore. We're going to try Cat Attract in one or two of the boxes and see if it will help, but we honestly can't think of anything else. It is really stressing us out because we've been trying to fix this before our baby gets here, and everything we do to try and make things better seems to make it worse. The female cats have lived together for over a year and we're still having this problem. Should we continue what we're doing and be more patient, or is there something else we can try?

EDIT: It might make a difference, but for the past few days we've been locking all the cats out of our bedroom all day and night. This is one area our baby will be sleeping, and to start off we decided they shouldn't have free access to the room like they usually have. If I remember right though, the pooping started before we made this change.

Yarrbossa fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 20, 2010

Hady
Jun 28, 2008

Yarrbossa posted:

Welp, here I am again. I posted a few weeks ago with my 2 female cats not getting along and one peeing all over everything. We as a household have picked up the slack to try and improve the situation and it's only gotten worse, I think.

Have you taken the offending cats to the vet? Peeing outside the box is often a health problem (UTI, crystals, etc.)

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I have two kittens, 1 male and 1 female, both recently fixed. Now I know that it's common for cats to sniff butts and I don't have any problem with that, but my female cat is really into licking her bro's rear end. Are kitty rim jobs considered normal behavior? It's kinda unnerving when she later wants to lick my hands after I've seen her doing that.

DONT DO IT
Jun 5, 2008

this level will be fun guys
I currently have 2 cats, one is a 5-6 year old female (~8-9 lbs), the other is a ~1 year old male (~12 lbs). I've had the male for roughly 3 months, and the relationship between the two has not improved. The male LOVES (at least he seems to) my other cat, but she begins hissing and tensing up if he so much as starts meowing in another room. He's very playful, she is not. My concern is that the female rarely eats, drinks, or uses the litter box when he is out, and since I am letting him stay out at night this is more of a problem. The only times I have seen her relax around him is after a scuffle, where he typically ends up falling over on his back. This will last only a short while before he starts coming after her again.

He was fixed shortly after I got him, and checked for any diseases and worms before I took him home. I have a Feliway diffuser in a small room where they both like to hang out, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything for the female. I kept him in a separate room by himself at night and while I was out of the house. I've only very recently begun letting him stay out all day/night and into my bedroom (her territory).

So PI, what the hell do I do?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

peepsalot posted:

I have two kittens, 1 male and 1 female, both recently fixed. Now I know that it's common for cats to sniff butts and I don't have any problem with that, but my female cat is really into licking her bro's rear end. Are kitty rim jobs considered normal behavior? It's kinda unnerving when she later wants to lick my hands after I've seen her doing that.

Our kitten gives our older cat lesbian rim jobs. I couldn't stop laughing the first time she did it, it was the only time the old cat has let her within 3 feet without hissing.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

DONT DO IT posted:

I currently have 2 cats, one is a 5-6 year old female (~8-9 lbs), the other is a ~1 year old male (~12 lbs). I've had the male for roughly 3 months, and the relationship between the two has not improved. The male LOVES (at least he seems to) my other cat, but she begins hissing and tensing up if he so much as starts meowing in another room. He's very playful, she is not. My concern is that the female rarely eats, drinks, or uses the litter box when he is out, and since I am letting him stay out at night this is more of a problem. The only times I have seen her relax around him is after a scuffle, where he typically ends up falling over on his back. This will last only a short while before he starts coming after her again.

He was fixed shortly after I got him, and checked for any diseases and worms before I took him home. I have a Feliway diffuser in a small room where they both like to hang out, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything for the female. I kept him in a separate room by himself at night and while I was out of the house. I've only very recently begun letting him stay out all day/night and into my bedroom (her territory).

So PI, what the hell do I do?

Some might say get another younger cat to entertain the male and give your female some breathing space.

I say, just let them work it out, provide multiple litter boxes and multiple food bowls so the female can 'get away' if she needs to. Be sure to give her a little extra attention when you can, maybe she feels replaced by the younger cat. I know my middle cat got very butt-hurt when I brought home 2 kittens last spring. She's very jealous, and unsure of her place in our household, even 10 months later.

Crash BandiCute
Nov 8, 2004

Dona Nobis Pacem
I've noticed my kitties seem to be going off their (Purely brand) wet food. They're around six months old and in good health, and eat their dry food fine, but sometimes leave half of their wet food. They did eat this food well but seem to have gone off it a bit - should I try them on something else or is this a weird cat phase?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

CagedLiberty posted:

I've noticed my kitties seem to be going off their (Purely brand) wet food. They're around six months old and in good health, and eat their dry food fine, but sometimes leave half of their wet food. They did eat this food well but seem to have gone off it a bit - should I try them on something else or is this a weird cat phase?

Have you changed anything else about their feeding lately? If not then maybe the manufacturer changed the formula a bit. Or, yes, maybe they're just tired of it.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
They might just not be that hungry (believe it or not, it can happen). How much of each are you giving them at a time?

Crash BandiCute
Nov 8, 2004

Dona Nobis Pacem
I guess it's just because they're not that hungry, because they finished all their breakfast this morning. We free feed them a complete dry food and they get two pouches of wet a day each, but until recently they got three and we cut it down because they weren't eating as much - I guess just because they're out of that young kitten stage. They're currently both nose deep in their dinner bowl >[

Trot_to_Trotsky
Dec 9, 2000
Must... Destroy... Capitalism...
Grimey Drawer
My wife has decided that now is the time to get a kitty, so we went to a local PetCo and adopted a full grown cat. They think he's about a year and a half to two years old (he's been up for adoption for 8 months now) and he was found at a local community college behind some wood (and very skinny).

He was, by far, the most affectionate of the cats at the event, and loves to be pet, and held, to a point.

He's only been home for a day and a half, seems to be adjusting ok, and we're only introducing a room at a time to him (he got the living room and hallway yesterday, now he has the bedroom, bathroom, and computer room). He is neutered, he's eating just fine, he's litter trained like a champ, but he goes from happy cuddly purring love muffin, to ornery sonofabitch in about half of a millisecond, which is freaking out my wife.

I told her to just get him off of her lap when he gets ornery (he's not aggressive, just bitchy and bitey at times when on a lap) and to ignore him when he's in his fussy mood. Typically this is when we come home from being gone, and involves him dashing around the house and then hiding under a chair/bed whenever we move or look at him. After about 10 minutes he strolls out like nothing was wrong and starts rubbing against us, purring.

I assured her this was all completely normal, without any facts that this was indeed normal. So I guess I'm seeking support for my half-assed theories.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Trot_to_Trotsky posted:

He's only been home for a day and a half, seems to be adjusting ok, and we're only introducing a room at a time to him (he got the living room and hallway yesterday, now he has the bedroom, bathroom, and computer room). He is neutered, he's eating just fine, he's litter trained like a champ, but he goes from happy cuddly purring love muffin, to ornery sonofabitch in about half of a millisecond, which is freaking out my wife.

I told her to just get him off of her lap when he gets ornery (he's not aggressive, just bitchy and bitey at times when on a lap) and to ignore him when he's in his fussy mood. Typically this is when we come home from being gone, and involves him dashing around the house and then hiding under a chair/bed whenever we move or look at him. After about 10 minutes he strolls out like nothing was wrong and starts rubbing against us, purring.

I assured her this was all completely normal, without any facts that this was indeed normal. So I guess I'm seeking support for my half-assed theories.

Sounds like he just gets overstimulated. Look to see if there are signs before he gets bitey (like whipping his tail back and forth, getting crazy eyes, or something like that), and let him chill out until he's ready to be nice again. You can either stop petting him or kick him off your lap. If there aren't any signs, then pet him in short bursts rather than continuously for a long time - a few minutes of petting, then a few minutes to chill out.

Engineer Lenk fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 25, 2010

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Hey everyone,

My g/f and I have one cat that is about 8-10 months old, we have had him since June, doing great. We want to add another cat, but want to wait until we can afford it easier (another 4-5 months). What are the policies on introducing new cats to the situation?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I'm having trouble with my 4/5 month old kitten making GBS threads next to the tray. Litter training was a pain with him anyway, I had to put him in a pen until he got it, but eventually he was fine. Then over christmas a couple of things happened - a change of food which gave him the violent shits (he's sensitive to something in it), and a change of litter, because I literally can't find the one I was using anywhere, anymore. Over this period he stopped pooing in the tray. He's back on his old food, and I've found a litter that's as close to the old one as I can find, but he's not using it. He knows what it's for, he pees in it just fine, and buries the pee (which is odd, because when he shat in the tray, he wouldn't bury piss, just hop on, go and hop off again), but he shits right next to the tray. It's like he knows that's where he should be going but just doesn't want to for some reason. Does anyone have any suggestions? It's starting to drive me a little bit mental.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Duckman2008 posted:

Hey everyone,

My g/f and I have one cat that is about 8-10 months old, we have had him since June, doing great. We want to add another cat, but want to wait until we can afford it easier (another 4-5 months). What are the policies on introducing new cats to the situation?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3169030&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post363590507 This should send you straight to the post covering that. :)

Firequirks
Apr 15, 2007

Kerfuffle posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3169030&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post363590507 This should send you straight to the post covering that. :)

Oh, I totally missed about that post, it's great. A few pages back I mentioned that we didn't have introduction stuff in the FAQ, but I never really felt like I could do a proper write-up. Fire In The Disco, I vote we use that post in the FAQ! :)

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Firequirks posted:

Oh, I totally missed about that post, it's great. A few pages back I mentioned that we didn't have introduction stuff in the FAQ, but I never really felt like I could do a proper write-up. Fire In The Disco, I vote we use that post in the FAQ! :)

Done! Thanks for the write-up, Eggplant Wizard! If there's anything you want to add to it or if you want to revise it, let me know! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
I'm having a urination problem with one of my cats.

About 2 weeks ago I noticed a pair of jeans in the pile of clothes on my bedroom floor was wet. It was cat pee. A few days later, I'm about to go to bed and I see my cat working over the pile of clothing with his paws as if he was scratching litter. He then assumes the position to pee but I yelled at scared him away before he could do this. At some point while I was sleeping he came back and finished the job.

I took him to the vet today and they did blood work and urinalysis. Vet said the blood work looks normal and the urine didn't look abnormal so that it's probably a behavioral thing.

I've had this cat for 6 months (he's about 18 months) and no problems until ~ 2 weeks ago. About 2 months ago I did bring another cat into the house. They would fight on occasion in the beginning but now they're perfectly fine and regularly nap/sleep together on the same bed. The cat with the pee problem still uses the litter regularly in addition to his attempts to urinate on my clothes.

What has me more worried than before is that immediately after returning from the vet today I caught him trying to pee in 3 separate places in about a 20 minute period. The only thing I can think of besides some major behavioral issue is that the Vet did say he had to manually manipulate the bladder for the urine sample and that there was a trace of blood which means his junk is slightly bruised...and maybe his most recent demonstration was his way of thanking me for having some guy abuse his genitalia but that's pure speculation on my part.

After reading the OP I figure I'll get a second litter box and a spray bottle (he only seems to do it when I'm present so it should be easy to catch him in the act), is there anything else I can do? Is there any significant thing I might have overlooked as far as cause for this sudden behavior?

edit:the Vet also wrote a prescription for some drug that he described as inbetween a sedative and anti-anxiety medication. He said it's suppose to alter behavior and the cat would stop his inappropriate behavior but I'm super hesitant to start giving my cat medication of that nature.

McKracken fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 26, 2010