Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gregday
May 23, 2003

That's exactly what I needed. Hot drat thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
I'm having some trouble with ACLs on a 3560. I have the following:

code:
interface Vlan10
 ip address 192.168.16.1 255.255.255.224
 ip access-group server_in in
!
interface Vlan30
 ip address 192.168.17.1 255.255.255.0
!
ip access-list extended server_in
!
My understanding is that the implicit deny in the server_in ACL should block any traffic entering that interface. But, I can ping from the 192.168.17.0/24 network to the SVI at 192.168.16.1. What gives?

Sojourner
Jun 6, 2007

Get In

Richard Noggin posted:

I'm having some trouble with ACLs on a 3560. I have the following:

code:
interface Vlan10
 ip access-group server_in in
!
interface Vlan30
!
ip access-list extended server_in
!
My understanding is that the implicit deny in the server_in ACL should block any traffic entering that interface. But, I can ping from the 192.168.17.0/24 network to the SVI at 192.168.16.1. What gives?

Could be because it's a blank ACL it just ignores it. Try adding the deny manually and see if it makes a difference.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
If you want it to deny all else, just make it explicit deny at the bottom. I've found this method to be less hit or miss than just hoping on the implicit deny.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
I put in "deny icmp any any", and can still ping from Vlan30 to Vlan10. :confused:

Richard Noggin fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 20, 2010

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Oh, wait a minute.

change "ip access-group server_in in"

to "ip access-group server_in out"

The in/out references which way the traffic is flowing, "in" means anything coming FROM vlan 10 will be applied to the ACL, "out" means anything going TO vlan 10 will hit the ACL.

Sorry, I should have noticed that in the first place.

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 20, 2010

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
No change. Although I thought the 'out' keyword referred to traffic leaving the interface (inside-->out), and 'in' referred to traffic entering the interface (outside-->in)?

You edited, so will I :)

Here's how I am visualizing traffic flow - anything coming from Vlan 30 to Vlan 10 is considered "in" traffic by Vlan 10 and "out" traffic by Vlan 30. Yes/No?

edit 2:

Why can't ACLs be standardized between security appliances and routers/switches? Do you know how long it took me to figure out that I had to use inverse masks instead regular old subnet masks? :downs:

Richard Noggin fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 20, 2010

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

Richard Noggin posted:

Why can't ACLs be standardized between security appliances and routers/switches? Do you know how long it took me to figure out that I had to use inverse masks instead regular old subnet masks? :downs:

Ugh. I've gone down this road recently. I'm much more of an IOS guy then a PIX/ASA guy, but I've had to do some work on a firewall switch module recently. As near as I can tell the FWSM contains none of the acl editing capabilities of IOS at all. I can't find a way to remove or insert an entry via line numbers or re-sequence the acl to insert gaps into the line numbers. It's all 1998 acl land : remove acl, no out acl, create new one with edits, re-apply. If anyone knows a better way to do this on a FWSM let me know. I haven't found anything in my FWSM book or the docs.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd
I've seen that ACLs on switch L3 interfaces aren't stateful and don't have session awareness so the ping request will get through but the return of the ping response will get eaten. Mitigate that by allowing all ICMP 'established' types through the ACL.

Also since it's device local (the identity of both L3 gateways), it's not technically going in or out the interface and the ACL doesn't apply.

A more valid test is two endpoints that don't reside on the switch itself. Then you'll truly be comparing flow direction and matching it against the policy criteria.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

jbusbysack posted:

Also since it's device local (the identity of both L3 gateways), it's not technically going in or out the interface and the ACL doesn't apply.

I am obviously no expert, but I see no way that this is true.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

Richard Noggin posted:

I am obviously no expert, but I see no way that this is true.

Tested and you're right, I must be thinking ASA and not having ICMP enabled on the interface identify itself.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Let me start off by saying I only know as much about networking as your average IT guy. I'm a DBA, but I'm trying to get some functionality working on one of the data driven web apps that my company uses.

We have a Cisco 5550 ASA, and are trying to employ the web vpn portal to deliver the application. The problem is that the app uses a Java applet that tries to open it's own sockets. That traffic seems like it is not getting tunneled through -- with or without smart tunneling checked. Is there any direction I can give our network guys to get this working? They have been sitting on it for weeks.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

12.2(46)SE on Cat 3750Gs still having the "port won't operate at 1000/Full" item crop up at random . Attempts to negotiate and operate at 1000 but links/delinks then eventually operates at 100/Full . Clears on reload, sometimes appears randomly.

Had two power supplies die off last week, and then caps or something in them explode when we "tried another outlet/cord" for SnG's . Nice bang.

This version of software doesn't apply the voice VLAN properly when using macros when the switchport type is not set prior to application, only on the first port, when that is the first thing you do when you configure via terminal. That's just so baffling that I can work around it but ugh.

Now I've got ports on 3 or 4 switches which simply stop forwarding egress traffic for seemingly no reason . Debugs of the switch and packet captures confirm data is entering the switch , it is being processed, and data is coming back, but never makes it through the switch. Reload clears this, but, recently, it has cropped up again. All POST tests pass on the equipment. I wanted to do more rigorous diagnostics but I don't have enough spares to afford losing them all right now.

To the earlier comment about the 802.3af power, note not all equipment will power on 48 ports , unfortunately. The 3750G's we bought won't do it for all 48 ports, only 24 are supported. The E's will do it with the 1150W PSU, but they also support the high power devices so if you get a couple of those on there you lose some capacity still. Nothing is perfect.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
I am really baffled now. I can't even get the examples listed here to work. I think it's TAC time.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

You have ip routing enabled, yes? I'm assuming you have. Otherwise you can create multiple SVIs but they don't work as you might expect.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

jwh posted:

You have ip routing enabled, yes? I'm assuming you have. Otherwise you can create multiple SVIs but they don't work as you might expect.

Yup, ip routing is enabled. Trying a new image now (edit: no luck). And I just found out that we haven't ordered smartnet on this thing yet, so now I've got to wait a couple days. Fuuuuuuck. I really wish I was a lot better at this stuff.

Richard Noggin fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 20, 2010

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite

inignot posted:

Ugh. I've gone down this road recently. I'm much more of an IOS guy then a PIX/ASA guy, but I've had to do some work on a firewall switch module recently. As near as I can tell the FWSM contains none of the acl editing capabilities of IOS at all. I can't find a way to remove or insert an entry via line numbers or re-sequence the acl to insert gaps into the line numbers. It's all 1998 acl land : remove acl, no out acl, create new one with edits, re-apply. If anyone knows a better way to do this on a FWSM let me know. I haven't found anything in my FWSM book or the docs.

TO remove an entire FWSM ACL:
fwsm(config)# clear configure access-list <access-list name>

TO remove just one line:
fwsm(config)# no access-list <access-list name> line <line number> <full ACE>

TO disable just one line:
fwsm(config)# access-list <access-list name> line <line number> <full ACE> inactive

TO add just one line:

fwsm(config)# access-list <access-list name> line <line number> <full ACE>

If you omit the line number the ACE gets added to the bottom of the ACL as the last line.

If you add a line number the new ACE gets put in place of that existing line and the existing line becomes line n+1 (gets moved down).

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Richard Noggin posted:

Yup, ip routing is enabled. Trying a new image now (edit: no luck). And I just found out that we haven't ordered smartnet on this thing yet, so now I've got to wait a couple days. Fuuuuuuck. I really wish I was a lot better at this stuff.

Can you paste a sanitized version of your config and describe your test procedure again?

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

jwh posted:

Can you paste a sanitized version of your config and describe your test procedure again?

http://pastebin.com/m213bdd08

Test procedure - pinging from my laptop (192.168.17.38, VLAN 30) to the configured L3 IP of VLAN 10 (192.168.16.1). You'll see I tried to block ICMP exiting 30 and entering 10.

Casimirus
Mar 28, 2005
Yes.

Richard Noggin posted:

http://pastebin.com/m213bdd08

Test procedure - pinging from my laptop (192.168.17.38, VLAN 30) to the configured L3 IP of VLAN 10 (192.168.16.1). You'll see I tried to block ICMP exiting 30 and entering 10.

101 doesn't apply because the traffic doesn't originate from that Vlan.
102 doesn't apply because, as jbusbysack said, ACLs don't apply to traffic originating from the switch, and also the source and destination are backwards for the response.

If you were pinging a device on Vlan10 and you applied 101 outbound instead of inbound, it would match.

It's always a good idea to test a device designed to forward packets by testing how it forwards packets, not how it responds itself. Consider a router set up with control plane policing: You could have a system administrator insist that the router is responsible for packet loss, and attempt to prove it by doing a ping -f from a workstation to the router, when in reality it would forward those same packets to and from a different destination just fine.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

Casimirus posted:

101 doesn't apply because the traffic doesn't originate from that Vlan.
102 doesn't apply because, as jbusbysack said, ACLs don't apply to traffic originating from the switch, and also the source and destination are backwards for the response.

If you were pinging a device on Vlan10 and you applied 101 outbound instead of inbound, it would match.

I hate to sound stupid here, but I just don't get this. Can you explain a bit more in-depth as to why 101 doesn't apply? Is the ACL format not permit|deny protocol source mask destination mask? Also, on 102, the traffic is originating from my laptop. Regarding your third point, to which interface should I apply it as outbound?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Right, you have the flow backwards.

Traffic enters the switch on VLAN 30. It exits the switch on VLAN 10.

Consider the ACL was being written from the point of view of the switch.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

jwh posted:

Right, you have the flow backwards.

Traffic enters the switch on VLAN 30. It exits the switch on VLAN 10.

Consider the ACL was being written from the point of view of the switch.

And the light goes on. I was thinking in terms of the interface. Thanks :)

Casimirus
Mar 28, 2005
Yes.

Richard Noggin posted:

And the light goes on. I was thinking in terms of the interface. Thanks :)

Your laptop 192.168.17.38 Vlan30 pinging a hypothetical device 192.168.16.2 on Vlan10. You have four places to stop it:

access-list 103 deny icmp 192.168.17.0 0.0.0.255 192.168.16.0 0.0.0.31
access-list 104 deny icmp 192.168.16.0 0.0.0.31 192.168.17.0 0.0.0.255

interface Vlan10
ip access-group 104 in <-- #3 this stops the ICMP echo reply as it enters the switch on Vlan10 if #1 and #2 don't exist
ip access-group 103 out <-- #2 this stops the ICMP echo request as it exits the switch on Vlan10 if #1 doesn't exist

interface Vlan30
ip access-group 103 in <-- #1 this stops the ICMP echo request as it enters the switch on Vlan30
ip access-group 104 out <-- #4 this stops the ICMP echo reply from exiting the switch on Vlan30 if #1,2,3 don't exist

In your case, you're pinging an SVI on the switch, there's only one way to stop it:

interface Vlan30
ip access-group 103 in

Because the SVI is inside the switch, it never enters Vlan10, and the reply can't be stopped because the ACL doesn't apply to traffic originating from the switch.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

inignot posted:

FWSM version 2.x or 3/4.x? Post above covers 3 and 4. Don't think 2.x supports reorder.

Sojourner
Jun 6, 2007

Get In
Anyone have any experience with cisco RV model VPN routers? We're looking at setting up some site to site ipsec tunnels to remote offices but the literature on these products aren't very good and I'm not sure they'll do an ipsec site to site tunnel with an ASA. Or, can anyone recommend a good site to site VPN router (very small remote office, 1-2 connections)?

*edit*

I am a grammar retard.

Sojourner fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 21, 2010

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Sojourner posted:

Anyone have any experience with cisco RV model VPN routers? We're looking at setting up some site to site ipsec tunnels to remote offices but the literature on this products aren't very good and I'm not sure they'll do an ipsec site to site tunnel with an ASA. Or, can anyone recommend a good site to site VPN router (very small remote office, 1-2 connections)?

Cisco 871. They can DMVPN just fine. And they're extra cheap now that the 881s are out.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

Casimirus posted:

Your laptop 192.168.17.38 Vlan30 pinging a hypothetical device 192.168.16.2 on Vlan10. You have four places to stop it:

access-list 104 deny icmp 192.168.16.0 0.0.0.31 192.168.17.0 0.0.0.255

interface Vlan10
ip access-group 104 in <-- #3 this stops the ICMP echo reply as it enters the switch on Vlan10 if #1 and #2 don't exist
ip access-group 103 out <-- #2 this stops the ICMP echo request as it exits the switch on Vlan10 if #1 doesn't exist

interface Vlan30
ip access-group 103 in <-- #1 this stops the ICMP echo request as it enters the switch on Vlan30
ip access-group 104 out <-- #4 this stops the ICMP echo reply from exiting the switch on Vlan30 if #1,2,3 don't exist

In your case, you're pinging an SVI on the switch, there's only one way to stop it:

interface Vlan30
ip access-group 103 in

Because the SVI is inside the switch, it never enters Vlan10, and the reply can't be stopped because the ACL doesn't apply to traffic originating from the switch.

This works perfectly, thank you. Thanks also to jwh for clearing up the traffic flow confusion.

Sojourner
Jun 6, 2007

Get In

jwh posted:

Cisco 871. They can DMVPN just fine. And they're extra cheap now that the 881s are out.

But over twice the cost of a cisco RV042.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

Tremblay posted:

FWSM version 2.x or 3/4.x? Post above covers 3 and 4. Don't think 2.x supports reorder.

It's 3.2(12). I'll consult this thread the next time I have to make an acl change.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

Sojourner posted:

I have heard nothing but horror stories about the RV042. In fact, we yanked one out of a customer's site because the VPN client wouldn't work, and Linksys support was unable to resolve the problem.

Richard Noggin fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 21, 2010

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

Sojourner posted:

Looks like a Linksys toy with "Cisco" written on it, not an IOS based device.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

inignot posted:

Looks like a Linksys toy with "Cisco" written on it, not an IOS based device.

That's exactly what it is.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
Not a question but a comment. A $20,000 price tag on one MCS 7845I is insane. It's nothing more than a rebadged HP server.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

InferiorWang posted:

Not a question but a comment. A $20,000 price tag on one MCS 7845I is insane. It's nothing more than a rebadged HP server.

CISCO QUALITY

In all seriousness I completely agree. Its batshit.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
It seems the I stands for IBM; so it's a rebadged IBM server. The H series are HPs. Still crap though.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

InferiorWang posted:

It seems the I stands for IBM; so it's a rebadged IBM server. The H series are HPs. Still crap though.

Yeah I dont really touch them for anything other than layer 2 and 3 products, where I kinda require 'always up' and I cant build that without spending all this year and next years budget. For anything else Id rather just buy 2, or 5, cheaper ones.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
We tend to make our big technology leaps(catching up) when a new school is built or an existing school is renovated. Basically, whenever there is a large capital project, we can do some upgrades as they are a small fraction of the overall project budget. At some point in the not too distant past it was decided to go with a Cisco voice environment. While it's not a bad setup, it's expensive and they didn't put much thought into the cost when it would finally come time to upgrade. Our existing MCS boxes are EOL and it's only a matter of time before CCM 4.x will be too.

Looking deeper into it, I don't need the 7845I box. A 7825H4 will work fine. CDW lists it for about $6000. Still a big ticket item considering what it actually is behind the Cisco logo.

Boner Buffet fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 25, 2010

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

InferiorWang posted:

We tend to make our big technology leaps(catching up) when a new school is built or an existing school is renovated. Basically, whenever there is a large capital project, we can do some upgrades as they are a small fraction of the overall project budget. At some point in the not too distant past it was decided to go with a Cisco voice environment. While it's not a bad setup, it's expensive and they didn't put much thought into the cost when it would finally come time to upgrade. Our existing MCS boxes are EOL and it's only a matter of time before CCM 4.x will be too.

Looking deeper into it, I don't need the 7845I box. A 7825H4 will work fine. CDW lists it for about $6000. Still a big ticket item considering what it actually is behind the Cisco logo.

I believe you can just buy the server from HP or IBM, built to our specs and it will still be a supported install. Please double check that before you do it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
I've gone back and taken another look at the FWSM acl commands and I still hate this device.

tortilla_chip posted:

TO remove an entire FWSM ACL:
fwsm(config)# clear configure access-list <access-list name>

This is really easy to miss in help. ? inside config mode reads back both the config and exec commands:

code:
FWSM(config)# clear ?

configure mode commands/options:
  configure  Configuration

exec mode commands/options:
  aaa             Clear AAA run time data
  aaa-server      Clear aaa-server statistics
  access-list     Clear counters for a specific access policy
  activation-key  Clear the activation-key
  arp             Clear ARP statistics
  asp             Clear the current contents of selected memory in the
                  Accelerated Security Path
  blocks          Clear system buffers statistics
  capture         Clear packets in a particular capture
  conn            Clear all connections
  console-output  Clear messages stored in buffer
  counters        Clear protocol stack counters
  cpu             Clear CPU stats
  crashinfo       Crash information
  crypto          Clear crypto operational data
<exec stuff goes on for pages>

tortilla_chip posted:

TO remove just one line:
fwsm(config)# no access-list <access-list name> line <line number> <full ACE>

The availability of this command just isn't reflected in help at all.

code:
FWSM(config)# no access-list ?

configure mode commands/options:
  alert-interval  Specify the alert interval for generating syslog message 
                  106001 which alerts that the system has reached a deny
                  flow maximum. If not specified, the default value is 300 sec
  deny-flow-max   Specify the maximum number of concurrent deny flows that can 
                  be created. If not specified, the default value is 4096
FWSM(config)# no access-list