Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!
so i listened to black saint and the sinner lady by charles mingus and really liked it. what should i get by him next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bipolarbear
Jun 15, 2005

Droppin the Funk Bomb!
Either "Blues & Roots, or ""Ah, Um". He also did "Money Jungle" with Duke Ellington which gets an honorable mention.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Dominic R. posted:

something like Flipper - Album Generic. I want to feel and hear the same gently caress it, or oops there was a gently caress up? whatever gently caress it keep going. Good luck with it ;/

I've always thought groups like U.S Maple and Arab on Radar sounded like Flipper... but the best thing about Flipper is that the lyrics are so I'm not too sure what to say.

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005

Dominic R. posted:

something like Flipper - Album Generic. I want to feel and hear the same gently caress it, or oops there was a gently caress up? whatever gently caress it keep going. Good luck with it ;/

The band that best approaches Flipper's nihilism is Swans, in fact their songs are even slower and dirgier. But for the "gently caress up" part you might wanna try Butthole Surfers, especially their earlier albums.

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

CAMiasm posted:

so i listened to black saint and the sinner lady by charles mingus and really liked it. what should i get by him next?

Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus, if you haven't already listened to that of course. After that, go with Pithecanthropus Erectus, The Clown, Mingus Ah Um, and Blues & Roots.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

I'm a big fan of Einsturzende Neubauten... I know, I forgot the umlaut. Too lazy to find it on a friend's computer.

I love the hard hitting industrial NOIZE, but I'd really like to see if anything sounds like their more accessible releases "Stella Maris" or "Sabrina". Help, anyone?

EDIT: Bonus question: Can anyone recommend any late 80's/early 90's south florida bands? As in, I'd like to check out the scene that produced Marilyn Manson, Jack off Jill, etc.

spouse fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 21, 2010

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

PUSSY BARON posted:

I want to hear some good Mexican music. All I know is norteño and mariachi or Esquivel. Are there any cool Mexican bands that are like Os Mutantes or something?

If you like the same riff in every song, Juanes is a popular choice.
Technically he's Colombian, though.

StickyNavels
Apr 3, 2009
I'm trying to find music featuring humming and/or untuned instruments, piano in particular. Didn't have much luck Googlin'. Anyone help a brotha out?

hehehewwwwwww
Nov 24, 2005

grewafewafewo.

hehehewwwwwww fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 18, 2019

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I'm looking for some real dark and heavy hip hop. I've heard Dälek's Absence and Abandoned Language, and it's exactly the kind of music I'm looking for.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'm looking for some guitar heavy funk. I'd really like to start learning funk guitar, so I'm specifically looking for stuff with lots of awesome guitar chords, where the guitar is pretty audible and slick sounding. I already listen to a bit of funk, but the guitar is mostly just a few scratchy chords which is pretty easy to learn, and doesn't give me much to work with. Anybody got any suggestions for funk bands with some killer riffs?

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Fonzarelli posted:

I'm looking for some guitar heavy funk. I'd really like to start learning funk guitar, so I'm specifically looking for stuff with lots of awesome guitar chords, where the guitar is pretty audible and slick sounding. I already listen to a bit of funk, but the guitar is mostly just a few scratchy chords which is pretty easy to learn, and doesn't give me much to work with. Anybody got any suggestions for funk bands with some killer riffs?

As far as regional sounds go, New Orleans pretty much had the guitar lead sound locked down so you'd probably like the first two Meters albums (S/T, Struttin). Unless you're talking about the wah sound, then you probably want to check Ernie Vincent's song Dap Walk. (People need to be more specific when they're talking 'funk', since early soul extension funk is a big difference from mid/late 70 'fonk'.)

Grant Green's 'Live At The Lighthouse' 2xLP always shows up in crates, mainly because of Greg Williams on drums, but it's pretty much jazz guitar with a tight rhythm crew (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbEPnC17re0). (Bonus sleeper b-side guitar tune; Joe Pass's A Time For Us http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKk_SEsr6GQ )

e: poo poo, and the two guitar line song 'Side Saddle': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK6nRMgL__4

JehovahsWetness fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 21, 2010

milk teeth
Oct 13, 2009

Skilleddk London Zoo by The Bug was well-received & is p. heavy, menacing.

the little taste of Dalek I got sounds directly between Aesop Rock & Cannibal Ox.
so either of those may satisfy. or neither.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

I've really been digging some shoegaze lately, but there are very few bands that I know about. I mostly have been enjoying Loveless (of course), Adorable's Against Perfection album, and some of M83's more shoegaze-y stuff. Where do I go from here?

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008
Cocteau Twins - Treasure
Ride - Nowhere
Slowdive - Souvlaki
Chapterhouse - Whirlpool
The Drop Nineteens - Delaware
Swirlies - Blonder Tongue Audio Baton

newer stuff:
School of Seven Bells - Alpinisms
A Place to Bury Stranger - both of their albums
Fleeting Joys - Occult Radiance

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Spiritualized, maybe?

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

doug fuckey fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 31, 2012

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Fonzarelli posted:

I'm guessing this goes without saying but you have listened to Maggot Brain by Funkadelic yes?

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

shpladoinkle posted:

Could I get a helping of melodic dance/pop electronica like Passion Pit? They're my intro into the genre and I'm really diggin it. Much thanks.

Try MGMT, M83 and Cut Copy

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

shpladoinkle posted:

Could I get a helping of melodic dance/pop electronica like Passion Pit? They're my intro into the genre and I'm really diggin it. Much thanks.

It's not exactly LIKE Passion Pit but I think that Royksopp would be something you'd like too

ARE CHILDREN
Nov 11, 2007

Could I get some post-punk with a prominent horn section? Basically, I'm looking for something along the lines of the funkier stuff by The Teardrop Explodes.

juamasos
Mar 5, 2009
I just discovered Utah Saints, can y'all recommend groups with a similar sound? "Power to the Beats" is my favorite Utah Saints track, if that helps.

edit: I'm also really into Capsule, know of anything similar? Thanks

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

juamasos posted:

I just discovered Utah Saints, can y'all recommend groups with a similar sound? "Power to the Beats" is my favorite Utah Saints track, if that helps.

edit: I'm also really into Capsule, know of anything similar? Thanks

Like Utah Saints: check out Dee-Lite, The Shamen, Pragha Khan, Westbam, X-Press 2 and Real McCoy

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Final Fart Buttball posted:

It's not exactly LIKE Passion Pit but I think that Royksopp would be something you'd like too

Will do--thanks as well etard kinevel, I know and like MGMT and M83 but I'll try Cut Copy

colonelsandy
Dec 28, 2006

"We in comparison to that enormous articulation; we only sound and look like badly pronounced and half finished sentences out of a stupid suburban novel."
I like gently caress Buttons what else should I listen to?

edit: Also if anyone can recommend something similar to "Children of God" by Swans I would be most grateful.

colonelsandy fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jan 25, 2010

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

IntoTheNihil posted:

I'm looking for spacey rock/metal like Cynic, The Faceless (meh i like their new album), Gordian Knot

helphelphelp

you could also just recommend me similar stuff to Planetary Duality. I've yet to find any DM with a similar sound outside of Spawn of Possession.

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
lemonparties with wippersnapper
I posted this in TBB but it might be better serviced here despite it not being music per se.

I've recently developed an affinity for American "roots music" -- folk music, blues, jazz, and so on -- from the turn of the century to the 1960s. Obviously, I'm looking for a good book on Alan Lomax, as he did a monumental thing by recorded many great musicians, which includes both biography as well as his musicological/folklorist endeavours in detail. Failing this, however, two books -- one that covers his biography and one that covers his musicological stuff -- would be fine too if they're also in-depth.

I will probably pick up the book Lomax himself wrote on the blues (The Land Where Blues Began, 2002 pbk. ed.) as well as a collection of some of his writings -- my university libraries have both -- but I'm looking for a good, definitive book(s) about him rather than by him. Thanks in advance and sorry for the not-strictly-music request!

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

ARE CHILDREN posted:

Could I get some post-punk with a prominent horn section? Basically, I'm looking for something along the lines of the funkier stuff by The Teardrop Explodes.

try:
James Chance and the Contortions - BUY
Blurt - s/t

juamasos
Mar 5, 2009

etard knievel posted:

Like Utah Saints: check out Dee-Lite, The Shamen, Pragha Khan, Westbam, X-Press 2 and Real McCoy

Thanks alot dude!

ARE CHILDREN
Nov 11, 2007

Muy Picante rear end posted:

try:
James Chance and the Contortions - BUY
Blurt - s/t

Thanks! Not exactly what I was looking for, but it still owns.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

colonelsandy posted:

I like gently caress Buttons what else should I listen to?

Growing
Belong
Emeralds

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I just got Mosely Sholes and Marchin' Already by Ocean Colour Scene, any recommendations of other bands to listen to would be welcomed. Also similar acts to Neko Case, I'm thinking about get Florence + The Machine's album.

Free Broken Glass!
Aug 3, 2009
Anyone know who composed the music for Deus Ex and Fringe and if there is anything in a similar vein?

colonelsandy
Dec 28, 2006

"We in comparison to that enormous articulation; we only sound and look like badly pronounced and half finished sentences out of a stupid suburban novel."

slowdave posted:

Growing
Belong
Emeralds

These hit the spot, thank you.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
1. Any bands similar to The Distillers, Tsunami Bomb, or Selby Tigers. Female lead singers is a plus.

2. Anything similar to Datarock, Freezepop, and Apoptygma Berzerk.

hehehewwwwwww
Nov 24, 2005

ewafewafaew

hehehewwwwwww fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 18, 2019

Saint Rockhopper
Oct 2, 2008
Two requests:

1. Female rappers. I've listened to a few songs with female rappers (some by P.O.S. for instance) and thought they were great. For reference, my favorite rappers in general are Blackalicious, Nas, and Tupac.

2. Anything in Swedish, Hindi, or Arabic. I know just about nothing of the latter two, but I'm familiar with a few Swedish bands. My favorite is Kent, but I'd still only give them maybe a 7/10. It would be sweet if I could find something more folksy (not Laleh) in Swedish.

Thanks in advance!

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

So I know a site like last.fm can show me related bands but what if I am looking for a specific type of song. Artists and bands generally try to vary at least a little in their song content(unless you're Nickelback). It is has to describe what type of song I'm even looking for. I've been on an indy female vocalist kick of late with Kate Nash, Joanna Newsom, and Regina Spektor but more specific than that the bittersweet feeling some indy songs can illicit. Blame 500 Days of Summer as Wolfmother - Vagabond has been getting a lot of playtime too.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

Corte posted:

So I know a site like last.fm can show me related bands but what if I am looking for a specific type of song. Artists and bands generally try to vary at least a little in their song content(unless you're Nickelback). It is has to describe what type of song I'm even looking for. I've been on an indy female vocalist kick of late with Kate Nash, Joanna Newsom, and Regina Spektor but more specific than that the bittersweet feeling some indy songs can illicit. Blame 500 Days of Summer as Wolfmother - Vagabond has been getting a lot of playtime too.

If I'm not mistaken, you can also choose a tag for a song or an artist and then listen to a last.fm radio of that tag (ie. "bittersweet" radio or whatever)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeeKong
May 17, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dominic R. posted:

Try Pissed Jeans latest release; King of Jeans. Subpop has some free mp3s on their site.

Most of Pussy Galores albums has a similar nihilist attitude, I personally think Right Now! is their best effort in that vein.

Saint Rockhopper posted:

Anything in Swedish,

I think it's pretty hard to dislike Håkan Hellström.

As for something more folksy, Cornelis Wreesvijk is mandatory listening.

MonkeeKong fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 29, 2010