Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I'm going to say do the pattern of the white glove.

And then I'll :gonk: because my hands start to hurt if I knit with anything under a size 5. Dear God that looks insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klams Jam
Sep 8, 2007
I like the fingers on the white one and the palm of the green. Yip, I am no help at all!

So I am now on my 4th sock, and really enjoying it. They've all be fairly vanilla til now, just ribbing and stockinette. Does anyone have a good 'next stage' type sock, with a bit of a pattern but not so complicated my head falls off? I've been eyeing up the Leyburn socks on ravelry. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/leyburn-socks

I've got 2 skeins of jitterbug kicking about, one an almost solid purple, and one a lovely multi colour, which I really think the leyburn ones would show off nicely.

Also, when working on dpns how do I stop laddering! I'm currently working the gusset/foot of top down socks and it's the worst on the two needles holding the halves of the heel. Gah - knitting drives me insane sometimes.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

OMG those gloves! :aaaaa:

I'm voting for the green ones. And I'm totally in awe over you, Anne Whateley. :golfclap:

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Just looking at the cables on those fingers is making mine hurt. I'm having a hard enough time doing straight knit fingers right now (about 1 hour per finger, at my current rate).

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Klams Jam posted:

I like the fingers on the white one and the palm of the green. Yip, I am no help at all!

So I am now on my 4th sock, and really enjoying it. They've all be fairly vanilla til now, just ribbing and stockinette. Does anyone have a good 'next stage' type sock, with a bit of a pattern but not so complicated my head falls off? I've been eyeing up the Leyburn socks on ravelry. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/leyburn-socks

I've got 2 skeins of jitterbug kicking about, one an almost solid purple, and one a lovely multi colour, which I really think the leyburn ones would show off nicely.

Also, when working on dpns how do I stop laddering! I'm currently working the gusset/foot of top down socks and it's the worst on the two needles holding the halves of the heel. Gah - knitting drives me insane sometimes.

Best way to stop laddering that I've found is to knit the first stitch on the new needle regularly and then knit the second stitch and pull REALLY TIGHT. No matter how tight you pull the first stitch it'll go loose again, but the second one will suck up some of the slack.

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

I had a not-so-great day so I went online and bought a $35 skein of sock yarn.

Apparently I will be making either
or

but in

insane orange gloves. Yup. Votes for which?

Oh my god. Would you mind sharing the pattern for these?

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Oh god I think I did something wrong

Anyone know any large monkeys that need gloves?

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

Roflex posted:

Oh god I think I did something wrong

Anyone know any large monkeys that need gloves?

It looks like your thumb is too short. It shouldn't be too hard to add some more length.

Edit: Actually, it looks like all your fingers are too short. Just rip back a few rows and add another cm or two until they feel right.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Wandering Knitter posted:

I'm going to say do the pattern of the white glove.

And then I'll :gonk: because my hands start to hurt if I knit with anything under a size 5. Dear God that looks insane.
I'm currently knitting >15 square feet of silk laceweight on size 2s :suicide:

Klams Jam posted:

I feel like the white fingers go better with the green hand! If the stitch counts work out, I may do that. But I don't dislike the green fingers, either, so I might do them (except more angularly, to match) with the white hand some other time.

Don't worry about what kind of socks you "should" be doing -- just jump into whatever looks interesting. If you take it slowly and read the directions carefully, you should be able to manage it. It's not any more difficult than making brownies from a box, plus there are lots of good patterns and helpful youtube videos out there. People on Ravelry are constantly freaking out ("omg I could never do cables!!!) but once you get it, it's so not a big deal.

If you can't keep one constant tension on DPNs, don't torture yourself, just switch to circulars. I think DPNs rule, but some people are insanely all about magic loop or using two circulars or whatever.

Midnight Sun posted:

OMG those gloves! :aaaaa:

I'm voting for the green ones. And I'm totally in awe over you, Anne Whateley. :golfclap:
Don't be -- I haven't made them yet!

Seriously, if you click on the question mark under my name, you'll see all the posts I've made in this thread. I think it starts out with "yay I made these hats they are my first thing on circulars ever :downs:" and I had paid no attention to gauge or needle size or anything. Then was my first lumpy semi:downs: attempt at intarsia. You get the idea -- I started from zero and had plenty of not-exactly-professional products along the way. The only thing is that I try to learn a new technique from each project.

deli ninja posted:

Oh my god. Would you mind sharing the pattern for these?
Depending on what you mean. The green one is Entangled Stitches (designer page, Ravelry), and the white one is Gordian (designer page, Ravelry). They're both pay patterns, and as far as I know, a :filez: scene doesn't exist.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Klams Jam posted:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/monkey

Goes fast without being too easy. I think everyone in our knitting circle has made a pair or three.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
How hard do you think either of these would be for someone who hasn't knit mittens and/or done much with double pointed needles (of which she has many donated to her by her mother) :(

http://knit-amigurumi.blogspot.com/2009/03/kitten-mittens.html
http://downcloverlaine.blogspot.com/2009/11/kitten-mittens.html

I mean, if I'm going to learn double pointed knitting this shouldn't be an EXCESSIVELY hard way to do it right?

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
Those are cute! It might get a little fiddly around the ears and thumb, but embroidering the kitty face after everything is done will most likely be the most difficult portion. If you hate weaving in ends, there will be two ends each ear and four for the striped thumb.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Meh, I need to practice weaving in ends but I can't say I hate it or anything and I have a very skilled knitter to help me if I need it. Embroidering is something I CAN do that I've known how to do (not too advanced, but enough) for a while. They're just too adorable so I REALLY want to make them, I'm just not sure if I should put them off or jump right in. :3:

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
I just cast on yet another octopus.

Knitting is one of very few things I can focus on right now, but I don't get Knitting Trance like my mom does. I'm so sick of staring at stitches.

How much can all y'all knit before you get sick of knitting?

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

Look Under The Rock posted:

When I knit something that doesn't have an end, like a scarf, I can only go for an hour or two before it gets too repetitive and draining. If I knit something like a mitten or something with a lot of parts to it, I do a few parts a day. Knitting too long hurts my fingers and all the little fibres get in my eyes and make me itchy.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Knitting is one of very few things I can focus on right now, but I don't get Knitting Trance like my mom does. I'm so sick of staring at stitches.

As someone who just knit thirty freaking kittens I can safely say that I don't get sick of knitting. Ever.

Though I find listening (not watching) movies or shows I've seen a hundred times helps put me in the trance.

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Depending on what you mean. The green one is Entangled Stitches (designer page, Ravelry), and the white one is Gordian (designer page, Ravelry). They're both pay patterns, and as far as I know, a :filez: scene doesn't exist.

Yeah sorry, I meant 'would you tell me where to find this pattern' and not 'give me a copy so I don't have to pay for it'. Thank you!

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

Completed with poorly lit pictures!

About 8' long and it took me about 4 days on and off. I'm really happy and now I can work on MORE STUFF. Heck yeah.
I have a thing for that yarn too. Is it "Corinthian" or whatever? I have a scarf I knit in seed stitch and a smaller throw, too.

I usually get into a groove with knitting for a couple months at a time, with projects off and on. Then my hands hurt too much and I become a knitting voyeur in this thread. I finished that shroom toque from knitty and am going to do "urchin" too and I imagine that, at that point, I'll be sick of it again.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

That one is Herb Garden Homespun from Lion on 11 needles CO20 garter stitch. :)

They're kind of similar colorways though so I could see the confusion!

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Don't be -- I haven't made them yet!

Seriously, if you click on the question mark under my name, you'll see all the posts I've made in this thread. I think it starts out with "yay I made these hats they are my first thing on circulars ever :downs:" and I had paid no attention to gauge or needle size or anything. Then was my first lumpy semi:downs: attempt at intarsia. You get the idea -- I started from zero and had plenty of not-exactly-professional products along the way. The only thing is that I try to learn a new technique from each project.
I know, but still! Just thinking about trying to start that glove pattern is making my head hurt. I'm much like you, started knitting simple stuff and venturing into a little more complicated projects to learn new techniques. I still haven't got the hang of gauge (it's for wussies anyway ;) ) and knitting in the round with DPNs makes me want to kill a bitch.

Sorry about the lenghty explanation, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm rooting for you and the gloves! :haw:

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Wandering Knitter posted:

I find listening (not watching) movies or shows I've seen a hundred times helps put me in the trance.

This works best for me, as well as listening to podcasts.

I tend to get easily frustrated with projects because I'm a perfectionist. If I notice my tension is off or I'm just not happy with the pattern I'll frog it and go on to something new. Needless to say I've not completed anything in ages. I am looking to venture into cables though. Is there a decent pattern anyone can suggest for somebody who's never done cables before? I've been looking through ravelry but nothing has caught my eye yet.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Windy posted:

This works best for me, as well as listening to podcasts.

I tend to get easily frustrated with projects because I'm a perfectionist. If I notice my tension is off or I'm just not happy with the pattern I'll frog it and go on to something new. Needless to say I've not completed anything in ages. I am looking to venture into cables though. Is there a decent pattern anyone can suggest for somebody who's never done cables before? I've been looking through ravelry but nothing has caught my eye yet.
My first attempt at cables was the Irish Hiking Scarf. The pattern is really easy, but it looks complicated, so I like it for the cred I get from non-knitters. ;)

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

You're right, they are. It's more evident in the image I quoted. I like that one too, Corinthian just has a more reddish tone to it I think.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Midnight Sun posted:

I know, but still! Just thinking about trying to start that glove pattern is making my head hurt. I'm much like you, started knitting simple stuff and venturing into a little more complicated projects to learn new techniques. I still haven't got the hang of gauge (it's for wussies anyway ;) ) and knitting in the round with DPNs makes me want to kill a bitch.

Sorry about the lenghty explanation, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm rooting for you and the gloves! :haw:
Just little steps! I've never done anything as killer as those gloves either. But I'm fine with cables, I'm fine with counting and reading my knitting and using stitch markers liberally, and the last gloves I made were these (but black). Black, worsted-weight yarn with size 2 DPNs :suicide:

Put all together, I bet I can do it, if I pay attention. Probably. Thanks for the rooting!

I knit best when I'm watching TV or a movie, so I have something else to keep me entertained; that way I can last for hours and hours, especially if the project is interesting. I definitely couldn't rewatch stuff I'm already familiar with, although I don't usually do that anyway. When I'm doing nothing but knitting, like on the subway, I start getting antsy and looking around, intermittently people-watching or playing with my phone.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

A day dedicated to knitting is the perfect chance to catch up with Wiretap, my favourite podcast.

Mainly though I knit in front of the TV with my mum and we chat and stuff so it takes longer to get sick of it. I can do about 4 hours a night for a week and then I need a few days off and then can start again, but sometimes I just wander off and do something else. Point in case- I could finish my dad's jumper in a week but I woke up today with a marvellous poncho idea and now I want to invent that instead.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I find the more complicated a thing is the easier it is for me to keep at it. Also sometimes I get all excited about a project and I'm very gung-ho and then 2/3 of the way in I get a sneaking feeling that it isn't going to fit or whatever, but intsead of fixing it I go into denial and leave it in a drawer or something for a year. But I'm pretty ADD in general so like everything else I tend to sit around knitting for a little while then go do something else then knit some more then sweep the hallway then knit some and maybe pick up a book and read two pages or...

Although, for the first several years I was a knitter I did this really bizarre thing where I would knit A LOT for two months then do nothing for six. Then I would knit A LOT for like two weeks then forget about it for three months.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I'm the same as most people here it seems - If its a fairly complicated project I don't mind knitting 24/7. I put on a movie or watch some reruns of a TV show and go at it till I'm tired.

Things like scarves are boring as hell for me. Something that could probably take me a week to knit takes me over a month .I just made my roommate a scarf that was Row 1: k1, Row 2: k1,p2 and it took me over a month to finish.

TauntTheOctopi
Mar 5, 2007
As if they could do anything about it!

My first sweater! The Mrs. Darcy Cardigan. I finished this in 3 weeks, which is amazing for me, considering I have a pair of socks that have been on the needles since October. I love it! It was a quick and easy project and such a pretty shape.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Shnooks posted:

Things like scarves are boring as hell for me. Something that could probably take me a week to knit takes me over a month .I just made my roommate a scarf that was Row 1: k1, Row 2: k1,p2 and it took me over a month to finish.

I am capable of doing harder work but typically stick with scarves and easy projects because I have two problems when it comes to crafting:

I like really mindless work

I don't like the process as much as the finished product

So if I knit something, I tend to be obsessive about it until it's done. If I do something off and on, it never gets done. I'm worse with my quilting: that's another hobby where being impatient does you a great disservice, but I can't help it. Simple stuff is what I do best.

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
Captain Stinkybutt, how did you like working with Homespun? Trying to decide between that and Amazing for a scarf.

I really like that sweater, Octupi. Do you have a link to the pattern?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

It's the first thing I ever made so it was a little finicky when I got started but once I got into it it was really fast and easy. I used metal needles for it and between the ease of sliding it around and the large gauge it went SO fast. Not bad and the boyfriend loves it - it's rather soft, really!

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
Thank you! It's absolutely gorgeous, esp for a first project! :)

TauntTheOctopi
Mar 5, 2007

Dancingthroughlife posted:

I really like that sweater, Octupi. Do you have a link to the pattern?

Mrs. Darcy Cardigan. I went directly off this original pattern but there are some issues with it (no instructions for collar and the row counts don't exactly match up between the pieces). There's errata and a mod for it on Raverly that you should check out if you want to attempt it. Also, the yarn the pattern called for has been discontinued, but Berroco Alpaca Ultra substitutes well.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
Ooh, I've been pondering whether or not to knit that..

I really like some of the mods for it, but I don't have a good track record with cardigans.

This has only added to my conflicted knitter's mind about whether or not to go for it.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Dancingthroughlife posted:

Captain Stinkybutt, how did you like working with Homespun? Trying to decide between that and Amazing for a scarf.

It knits pretty fast for me. I've never used my bamboo needles with it, but I'm sure it wouldn't be too bad if you happen to own them. It also softens up a bit after you wash it. It holds up very well, too. I'm wearing a scarf I knitted with homespun about 9 years ago and it looks pretty good considering the abuse it's taken over the years.

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
Thanks for the pattern and input!

Fionnoulla
Jan 30, 2006

Drop the chalupa!

I totally just went to Michaels and bought 2 skeins of Herb Garden cause that scarf is so damned pretty! I've never worked with Homespun before and generally don't use acrylic, so we'll see how I do with it.

By the way, any Americans who busted their stash in the yarn swap thread and is looking to fill up their boxes again should go to Michaels right now. They've got Homespun and Patons Merino Wool (and a bunch of other poo poo) for $4.00 a skein, Fisherman's Wool for $7.00, and Sugar & Cream for $1.00.

I got the two Homespuns, some Spa (cause it was pretty - I have no loving clue what I'll do with it), and a ton of Sugar&Cream. My wool box is already overflowing with Patons wool so none of that for me.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Fionnoulla posted:

I totally just went to Michaels and bought 2 skeins of Herb Garden cause that scarf is so damned pretty! I've never worked with Homespun before and generally don't use acrylic, so we'll see how I do with it.

By the way, any Americans who busted their stash in the yarn swap thread and is looking to fill up their boxes again should go to Michaels right now. They've got Homespun and Patons Merino Wool (and a bunch of other poo poo) for $4.00 a skein, Fisherman's Wool for $7.00, and Sugar & Cream for $1.00.

I got the two Homespuns, some Spa (cause it was pretty - I have no loving clue what I'll do with it), and a ton of Sugar&Cream. My wool box is already overflowing with Patons wool so none of that for me.

Oh, I know. :gonk: It was painful walking through Michaels, looking at all of the cheap yarn I really, REALLY shouldn't be buying right now.

So I didn't.

Stupid willpower working for once. :smith:

TauntTheOctopi
Mar 5, 2007

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

Ooh, I've been pondering whether or not to knit that..

I really like some of the mods for it, but I don't have a good track record with cardigans.

This has only added to my conflicted knitter's mind about whether or not to go for it.

Go for it, definitely! It was almost entirely mindless knitting and the scoop shaping is easy. It looks harder than it is. The worst part was all the seaming, which you can avoid with most of the mods that are done in the round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

TauntTheOctopi, that is beautiful. :)