Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
Ok I've been trying to adjust the intonation on my guitar, its an LTD MH-301 which is about 6 years old now I believe. It has a floyd rose and ive adjusted the saddles but the 5th and 6th strings are still sharp and I cant move the saddle any farther towards the bridge. What do I do now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

scuz posted:

Yup, that sound hole cover is what you need. Post more information when you get your hands on the amp then we can tell you exactly which speaker to get :3:

The amp is a Peavy Pacer. Right now, I'm not so sure about replacing the speaker, there's something else I want to fix first.

When I twist the volume knob, there's a terrible scratchy, clicky sound. take a listen here:

What could this possibly be?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Horse Divorce,

It sounds like you may have a dirty or scratchy potentiometer. They're not too difficult to replace if you're confident with electronics. It wouldn't be an expensive repair, either.

blackshreds,

If you're sharp, you want the saddle to be farther away from the neck.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 16, 2010

nigilistka
Aug 14, 2007

I want to buy my boyfriend a guitar as a surprise. Neither of us know much about playing music but would like to learn (I played drums for a few years and would like to take it up again) and I don't have much money. Is this "value pack" a good idea?

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."

nigilistka posted:

I want to buy my boyfriend a guitar as a surprise. Neither of us know much about playing music but would like to learn (I played drums for a few years and would like to take it up again) and I don't have much money. Is this "value pack" a good idea?

Congratulations on being an excellent girlfriend (or boyfriend)!

As for the guitar pack question: Not really, no. The fretwork on value pack Squiers is generally terrible, as are the electronics and hardware. I wouldn't recommend one. Similarly, the amps sound like rear end.

To give a specific recommendation we'll need to know your budget but here are some thoughts:

The most common mistake people make when getting their first electric guitar is underspending on the amp. A good sounding amp is absolutely essential if you want to play anything worth listening to. After an exchange with Agreed in another thread, I'll recommend the Vox DA5. It's pretty much a perfect beginner's amp and it when the BF upgrades to something bigger and louder the DA5 will still be useful. And it doesn't sound like a coffee can full of bees.

ML's approved source for all things cheap guitar is Rondo. They make usable guitars for as little as $80 but at that price point you won't do much better than the Squier. For $130 you can get something basic but serviceable. For a hundred even you can get this one. These are still super budget but the consensus seems to be that they are perfectly acceptable to learn on.

Depending on how much you have to spend you could get something a little nicer but if you're looking at strat packs I'm going to guess you're shooting for the lowest price point. That's okay. Other posters know the best Rondo deals better than I do, but my understanding is that the guitars I linked should be fine for a first instrument. All have similar features to the Squier strat, but if that's not important then you might consider some other styles in the same price range. Hope that helps some.

nigilistka
Aug 14, 2007

Ferrous Wheel posted:

Thank you so much for such a thorough answer; I'm glad I asked. I'll do some research but at this point I think I'm going to go with the $100 Rondo model you recommended, their accessories pack, and the Vox amp in the very pretty classic coloring.

nigilistka fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 16, 2010

May 3, 2009
Hello I have fruity loops studio 8 and my brother and I have been making some good loops.

The problem is we do not know how to make any songs or patterns longer then 45 seconds. It is very frustrating that something as simple as making a song is not simple to do in this program. We just want to make a full fledged song!

Please help?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

1830 posted:

Hello I have fruity loops studio 8 and my brother and I have been making some good loops.

The problem is we do not know how to make any songs or patterns longer then 45 seconds. It is very frustrating that something as simple as making a song is not simple to do in this program. We just want to make a full fledged song!

Please help?

Um, it is pretty easy. You need to open up your Playlist (use the icon at the top-right of the program) and drag your patterns here to build a song.

BUTTERWORBS
Oct 16, 2002

I recently added an alesis sr-16 to my collection and I'm trying to do some loop based music.

Unfortunately if I loop a beat on the SR-16 though, and loop a beat on my other stuff at the same BPM and beat length the sr-16 is always offbeat. I've messed around with as many settings as I can think of but nothing makes a difference, anyone have any ideas?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
I'm still at an early stage in learning about music technology and I've hit an irritating-- but hopefully small-- stumbling block.

I've just bought my first microphone, a Shure Beta 57A. I'm using it with Cubase SX3 and a Lexicon Alpha USB recording interface. When I use the mic, I hear it coming loud and clear through my headphones. But when I try recording to an audio track, Cubase only records it really quietly. What's really confusing me is that if I try recording it to a stereo (as opposed to mono) audio track it comes through loud and clear-- but, obviously, only puts it in one channel.

Does anyone have any idea what's happening? I'm sure it's something very simple but I cannot for the life of me figure it out.

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

BUTTERWORBS posted:

I recently added an alesis sr-16 to my collection and I'm trying to do some loop based music.

Unfortunately if I loop a beat on the SR-16 though, and loop a beat on my other stuff at the same BPM and beat length the sr-16 is always offbeat. I've messed around with as many settings as I can think of but nothing makes a difference, anyone have any ideas?

BPM in audio electronics is an inexact science. If you want them to be in time with one another, you'll probably need to connect everything by MIDI, and set one device up as a master, and the others as slaves. That way, they'll take tempo information from the master.

At least, that's my impression. That's also about the limit of my MIDI knowledge.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

El Miguel posted:

BPM in audio electronics is an inexact science. If you want them to be in time with one another, you'll probably need to connect everything by MIDI, and set one device up as a master, and the others as slaves. That way, they'll take tempo information from the master.

At least, that's my impression. That's also about the limit of my MIDI knowledge.

That's pretty much the gist of it, if I recall correctly. Independent MIDI devices need to all run off of the same clock to stay in sync.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
I bought an AC15 a while back and it's starting to sound like I need a new set of tubes. I didn't buy the amp new, but from ebay so I assume it's been a while since the tubes have been replaced (if ever). What types of tubes do you guys suggest? And would I be able to replace them my self or would taking it to a tech be the best option?

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

Twlight posted:

I bought an AC15 a while back and it's starting to sound like I need a new set of tubes. I didn't buy the amp new, but from ebay so I assume it's been a while since the tubes have been replaced (if ever). What types of tubes do you guys suggest? And would I be able to replace them my self or would taking it to a tech be the best option?

Tubes take forever to go out, I'd look at your EQ, rig, and tube bias first. The first two you can do, and biasing tubes requires a tech (though it's almost always done well before installation in an amp).

See if they are microphonic, that's pretty much the point where you NEED to get them replaced. Microphonic means the tubes pick up physical vibrations from their environment, like a microphone. When the amp is on turn the reverb all the down, rap your finger near the tubes, and listen for popping or miniature thunder sounds. If the tubes pick up your tapping, they're way old and need to be replaced.

Replacing tubes is the easiest thing in the world. Just pull them out, take note of the order left to right and whatever numbers are printed or written on the tubes, and find the models somewhere. Getting different tubes will change the sound of the amp, so changing tubes is a chance to make bigger changes.

Your amp has two power tubes and two preamp tubes, you're probably looking at about $75 to replace them all, so it's well worth your time to inspect closely and see which tubes, in any at all, need to be replaced.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

CalvinDooglas posted:

Tubes take forever to go out, I'd look at your EQ, rig, and tube bias first. The first two you can do, and biasing tubes requires a tech (though it's almost always done well before installation in an amp).

See if they are microphonic, that's pretty much the point where you NEED to get them replaced. Microphonic means the tubes pick up physical vibrations from their environment, like a microphone. When the amp is on turn the reverb all the down, rap your finger near the tubes, and listen for popping or miniature thunder sounds. If the tubes pick up your tapping, they're way old and need to be replaced.

Replacing tubes is the easiest thing in the world. Just pull them out, take note of the order left to right and whatever numbers are printed or written on the tubes, and find the models somewhere. Getting different tubes will change the sound of the amp, so changing tubes is a chance to make bigger changes.

Your amp has two power tubes and two preamp tubes, you're probably looking at about $75 to replace them all, so it's well worth your time to inspect closely and see which tubes, in any at all, need to be replaced.

I've unplugged everything from the amp to make sure that the noise is still present and it is. I've noticed it at multiple different eq settings on the amp as well trying move pedals around shift guitars etc. I've got it isolated to the amp it's self. I think I'm going to buy the tubes from Eurotubes, as someone in another thread suggested.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Twlight posted:

I've unplugged everything from the amp to make sure that the noise is still present and it is. I've noticed it at multiple different eq settings on the amp as well trying move pedals around shift guitars etc. I've got it isolated to the amp it's self. I think I'm going to buy the tubes from Eurotubes, as someone in another thread suggested.

Microphonic sounds? Hiss and hum aren't more likely to be caused by tubes than a number of other parts. My amp went out a couple months ago and I was convinced it was a tube or tube socket, but it turned out to be a number of small, unrelated parts that had failed.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
What's the advantage of having a brass nut on guitar? It looks like there was a trend of doing this in the late 70s, is it just a mojo thing or do open strings actually sound different?

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

the wizards beard posted:

What's the advantage of having a brass nut on guitar? It looks like there was a trend of doing this in the late 70s, is it just a mojo thing or do open strings actually sound different?

I know Yngwie Malmsteen has a quote out there where he says that they have more sustain, but all of that stuff is subjective anyhow. What is objective is the fact that they never loving break or wear down. That's why I like them.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Twlight posted:

I will also ask - what kind of sound? What evidence and rationale are you using to determine that replacing the tubes will help?

It is possible you know your tubes are gone for sure and you just don't want to bore us with the details. But it kind of sounds like your amp is making an undesirable noise so you decided better swap the tubes. In which case that is fairly unlikely to help, depending on the kind of noise you're troubleshooting.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Col.Kiwi posted:

I will also ask - what kind of sound? What evidence and rationale are you using to determine that replacing the tubes will help?

It is possible you know your tubes are gone for sure and you just don't want to bore us with the details. But it kind of sounds like your amp is making an undesirable noise so you decided better swap the tubes. In which case that is fairly unlikely to help, depending on the kind of noise you're troubleshooting.

Ok, I had a friend of mine come through and take a look at the amp, he theorized that it is a tube issue so I'm going with that. The noises are static sometimes and it fades in and out. Sometimes tapping the side of the amp will quiet the noises for a short while.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Twlight posted:

Sometimes tapping the side of the amp will quiet the noises for a short while.

If physical force changes the sound, it's probably not a tube. Something being physically loose inside a tube would be catastrophic (as far as little tubes go) and make some pretty awful noises, not static. If you can pull the amp circuit chassis out of the box, look it over for corrosion. I recently fixed a boost pedal just by scraping some corrosion that was causing a short.

It's tempting to assume that the replaceable part of the amp is what's most likely to fail, but that's not always the case. Tubes are very sturdy and will last years before they wear out, during which time any number of moisture or heat related issues can ravage the circuitboard.

Does your friend have a tube amp you can plug yours into? They'll all be the same type of tubes - EL34 power and 12AX7 preamp . Take note of the position of each of your tubes and swap them one at a time with the tubes in someone else's amp. For preamp tubes, use the socket nearest the power tubes. This preamp stage is amplified by every other preamp stage, so flaws will be most apparent there.

We don't mean to harp, but you probably don't want to shell out $75 for spare tubes.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
While we're on the subject of tubes, does the hivemind have an opinion on eurotubes kits? The stock set in my ValveKing 112 is nearing the end of its useful life (four years old, not great to begin with) and buying a readymade set would save me a bit of time. If I'm going to pay a huge premium for it though I'll just buy them individually like a normal human being. I was only seriously considering the regular set- I don't want ultra high gain and the "gold pin" option sounds like expensive bullshit.

I've been wanting to throw in a Weber speaker since that will actually make the biggest difference in sound but for whatever reason the time has not been right.

Second question: What cheap condensers do people like? I've been eying the AT2020 and the Sterling ST-51 more or less equally. Behringer has recently decided that they make tube mics and I'm curious about those as well. And their regular LDCs are dirt cheap too.

This is to record acoustic guitar, vocals, quiet percussion (snare with brushes, shakers), maybe some occasional piano. I use a Presonus Firebox going into Logic. I'm under no illusions about getting Neuman quality sound, I just want a decent sounding LDC to replace my old (stolen) one and hopefully be a bit better. Old one was an Apex (L&M house brand). In case it's not clear I'm looking to spend about $150 give or take.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Popcorn posted:

I'm still at an early stage in learning about music technology and I've hit an irritating-- but hopefully small-- stumbling block.

I've just bought my first microphone, a Shure Beta 57A. I'm using it with Cubase SX3 and a Lexicon Alpha USB recording interface. When I use the mic, I hear it coming loud and clear through my headphones. But when I try recording to an audio track, Cubase only records it really quietly. What's really confusing me is that if I try recording it to a stereo (as opposed to mono) audio track it comes through loud and clear-- but, obviously, only puts it in one channel.

Does anyone have any idea what's happening? I'm sure it's something very simple but I cannot for the life of me figure it out.

I don't use any of this stuff, but maybe this has some useful info?
http://www.homerecordingconnection.com/forum.php?action=view_thread&id=18001&frm=5

It does sound as though Cubase is set up to only record from one channel, which would only give you one side of a stereo signal (and I guess it's possible that your interface only sends a mono signal through one channel, the one that's being ignored). What happens if you plug a stereo source into the back and try to record that to a stereo track?

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.
I'm having some trouble with audacity. Every so often when I record, the whole thing shuts down when I hit the stop button. Now when I restart it, it says that there it has found temporary files that were not deleted or saved, that it can't recover them automatically, and that I can recover them manually.

Any idea how I might do that? And what could be causing this crash?

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Newf posted:

I'm having some trouble with audacity. Every so often when I record, the whole thing shuts down when I hit the stop button. Now when I restart it, it says that there it has found temporary files that were not deleted or saved, that it can't recover them automatically, and that I can recover them manually.

Any idea how I might do that? And what could be causing this crash?

Are you using the 1.3 Beta? I had tons of problems with 1.2, including it shutting down seconds after I tried to do anything with it -- when I got 1.3, my problems all disappeared.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Ferrous Wheel posted:

While we're on the subject of tubes, does the hivemind have an opinion on eurotubes kits? The stock set in my ValveKing 112 is nearing the end of its useful life (four years old, not great to begin with) and buying a readymade set would save me a bit of time. If I'm going to pay a huge premium for it though I'll just buy them individually like a normal human being. I was only seriously considering the regular set- I don't want ultra high gain and the "gold pin" option sounds like expensive bullshit.
Eurotubes are made by JJ Electronic, who supply a bunch of other brands, so there isn't anything special about them being Eurotubes. Looking this up online, it appears they're probably the same as Sovtek tubes, aka Groove Tubes, aka Fender tubes, etc. No matter what they claim, a 12AX7 is pretty much a 12AX7 and the biggest difference in individual tubes is "hardness", which measures how easily the tube breaks up. Getting a "set" of tubes is a gimmick. All they've done is picked them out based on hardness, which you can do yourself easily by looking at the tubes you've got and copying the handwritten number on the side. That's where hardness is indicated on the tubes I've used, anyway.

Your biggest choice concerns your tone. If you get different 12AXsomethings or get the same tubes with different hardness, your tone's going to change. There are a variety of 12AX preamp tubes, so you've got some shopping around to do.

CalvinDooglas fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 20, 2010

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

CalvinDooglas posted:

Tube stuff.

I'm familiar with the basics but this is good info anyway, thanks. I didn't think eurotubes were special, I'm just lazy as hell and was wondering if any collection of NOS Phillips/Svetlana/what have you would be appreciably better. Especially bearing in mind that the stock speaker in the VK is a lovely low-end Eminence. I don't think new tubes are going to improve my sound very much until that's fixed.

That being the case, the breakup characteristics likely will change and I could throw some 12at7s or 12au7s in the preamp if I wanted earlier breakup, but I don't. I either get dirt from a pedal or from the rather overzealous gain channel. So clean headroom is good and for that any decent set of 12ax7s should do, yes? That does remind me though: I like to use a 12au7 in my Tubeworks overdrive and I'm in the market for a new one (tube that is). If the "testing for low microphonics" isn't bullshit I might pay for it because the stompbox can get very noisy, for obvious reasons. Maybe better just to grab a big box of the things on ebay and use the ones that are good though. Thoughts?

Any other leads on preferred vendors would also be good, I generally love gear shopping but I'm kind of getting sick of looking at tubes. If there's a vendor who doesn't engage in audiophile bullshit that would be good but I realize that's asking a lot.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Ferrous Wheel posted:

That does remind me though: I like to use a 12au7 in my Tubeworks overdrive and I'm in the market for a new one (tube that is). If the "testing for low microphonics" isn't bullshit I might pay for it because the stompbox can get very noisy, for obvious reasons. Maybe better just to grab a big box of the things on ebay and use the ones that are good though. Thoughts?

I'm not familiar with other types of preamps, so I can't comment on those ones. Microphonics probably aren't your tube pedal's problem unless it makes noise from being knocked around. A microphonic tube in an amp would be much worse because the amp is vibrating the tube, which isn't the case with the pedal. I don't know that a tube tested extra hard for microphonic qualities would reduce line noise from a pedal.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.

Achtane posted:

Are you using the 1.3 Beta? I had tons of problems with 1.2, including it shutting down seconds after I tried to do anything with it -- when I got 1.3, my problems all disappeared.

1.2.6 apparently. I downloaded it fairly recently for the first time in over a year or so. Hadn't had any such problems before.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

^ Ninja Edit: Don't use Audacity, get a real DAW. They're not that expensive and they're just better. ^

@ Dooglas: It does make noise from being knocked, along with every other type of noise a pedal can make. It gradually gets worse and worse until finally it just screeches nonstop. This has happened several times, always after putting in a fairly large number of hours on the pedal. Each time replacing the tube has fixed it. Maybe I've been fixing something else without knowing though, I'm not sure. I've thought about replacing the transformer as well just because the pedal is always pretty noisy.

At any rate, I'm thinking I'll hit up ebay for my re-tubing needs, especially since Weber is out of 12ax7s. Their prices seem good though so I might grab the two 6l6s from them.

Ferrous Wheel fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 21, 2010

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Ferrous Wheel posted:

@ Dooglas: It does make noise from being knocked, along with every other type of noise a pedal can make. It gradually gets worse and worse until finally it just screeches nonstop. This has happened several times, always after putting in a fairly large number of hours on the pedal. Each time replacing the tube has fixed it. Maybe I've been fixing something else without knowing though, I'm not sure. I've thought about replacing the transformer as well just because the pedal is always pretty noisy.

sounds like it then. How often do you have to replace them in the pedal? The same set has been in my amp since before I got it 6 years ago, and no tube problems.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

The pedal seems to eat them every three to six months. How new the tube is, what kind it is, and how often I play are all shifting variables in that equation though. The pedal is a "starved plate" design though, so it isn't treating the tube the same way an amp would. I imagine blunt force trauma from transport and stomping might also shorten the life a bit. It's occurred to me that changing the socket might help just by holding the tube more securely. And changing to a grounded plug might reduce hum somewhat. :downs: Yeah, it's an interesting bit of gear.

My experience amp-wise has been similar to yours; I bought the thing around four years ago and haven't changed the stock tubes. I still don't really have to, I'm just hoping for slightly better sound. Also I've never biased an amp before and I want to learn.

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003
Does an amp always need to be rebiased when the tubes are replaced? What if I'm putting in the same thing that was already there?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

El Miguel posted:

Does an amp always need to be rebiased when the tubes are replaced? What if I'm putting in the same thing that was already there?
It's a good idea to do so, but it's not always necessary. The bias on every tube isn't the same from set-to-set. An EL34 set may be rated differently than the set you had in there previously, and the tube life will be affected one way or the other.

That said, I plugged 4 Sovtek 6L6s into my buddy's JCM900 without touching the bias controls and it sounded very, very good/loud (mostly loud).

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I need a new computer interface. Firewire or USB, at least one mic (don't need phantom power) and two line/instrument inputs. Has to be under $200 and it has to be compatible with Windows 7 and Live 8.1. I'm currently eyeballing the TC Electronic Desktop Konnect 6. Is there anything better for the same price that has everything I need?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
What are the fundamental differences between a Stratocaster and Telecaster?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

the Bunt posted:

What are the fundamental differences between a Stratocaster and Telecaster?

Stratocaster:

- usually has three single coil pickups, though some ("fat strats") have a humbucker in the bridge position. Modern strats have a 5-way pickup selector switch, so that each pickup can be selected individually, or positions 2&4 can select either neck+middle or middle+bridge pickups simultaneously (these in-between positions give the strat its signature "quack" tone).

- one volume control, two tone controls for neck + middle pickups (no tone dampening for bridge pickup)

- routed body cavity underneath the pickguard (which affects the tone)

- floating bridge, with springs in a routed rear cavity

Telecaster:

- usually has two single coil pickups (Telecaster deluxe has two humbuckers) with a three position pickup selector (bridge only, both, neck only). The neck pickup has a warm bluesy/jazzy tone while the bridge pickup has a very bright twangy tone that is the tele's signature sound.

- one volume, one tone

- solid body, routed only enough to seat the pickups (which affects the tone)

- hardtail bridge. Vintage-style teles have a three saddle bridge (each saddle supports two strings), while some modern teles have a six saddle bridge. The bridge is mounted on a steel bridgeplate.

Strats and teles have different body shapes, and different shaped headstocks, from one another. Lots of variation is possible in the fretboard, neck radius, etc.

Both guitars can be really versatile. Strats have somewhat of a reputation for having a "thin" sound (which I think they typically do, in a good way), but they've been used by everybody from Hendrix to SRV to Iron Maiden, so they can definitely wail with the right pickups and the right signal chain. Teles have somewhat of a reputation as a "country" guitar, but go listen to the first Led Zeppelin album -- the guitar is all telecaster and it's one of the heaviest albums ever.

Probably the best way to get a feel for tonal differences of the two (aside from playing them) is to go poke around on youtube.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

Nearly everything.

Edit: Beaten by a more serious post. I think the list of things that are the same is much shorter:

-Solid body, usually ash or alder
-Single coil pickups (thought a different kind)
-Bolt-on construction
-25.5in scale length
-Six-in-line tuners
-Offered in same colors for the most part

Ferrous Wheel fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jan 22, 2010

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

baka kaba posted:

I don't use any of this stuff, but maybe this has some useful info?
http://www.homerecordingconnection.com/forum.php?action=view_thread&id=18001&frm=5

I actually found this thread when I first googled the issue, but it didn't help me. Looking at it again just now, it inspired me to gently caress around with some more with some settings I don't understand and now I mysteriously have it working! Thanks!

Now to figure out why Cubase suddenly isn't talking to Reason anymore...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

Whats the opinion on downtuning guitars for storage/travel? I've got guitars that I won't see for 2 months that have to go across the lake.