Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

PaintVagrant posted:

Nice.

Added it to the OP. Ok, so here is a potentially sexist sounding question: Is MonPoc a good "girlfriend" game?

My girlfriend has discovered her love for boardgames and such since she started dating me and I subjected her to all sorts of absurdly nerdy poo poo.

We play catan, ticket to ride, risk, mTG, briefly played the pirates CMG, etc.

Is MonPoc really complex and difficult to pick up, average difficulty, or easy like the games I mention above?

Kinda both. There's a handy quick reference sheet in the starters, the dice mechanics are fairly intuitive, complex strategy and power attacks might take a bit.

Unfortunately, I only know the nitty gritty about a handful of factions, as it's what I played personally, or what locals played against me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Well monpoc scales pretty nice. Yeah, you can definitely play with your girlfriend, and smash poo poo up, but you can also go really deep into it with 'dice economy' strategy as well.

I would start off with just a handful of units and a few buildings, and add more from there if you want to make the game more complicated. :)

EDIT: Oh I see you guys have played Magic. Yeah, you good.

Dre2Dee2 fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 21, 2010

Reginald Garibaldi
May 1, 2004

Don't make me get all D&D!
Me and my girlfriend play happily together. The first game took 3 hours to get the rules down pat but now we're rolling it's all good.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Dre2Dee2 posted:

EDIT: Oh I see you guys have played Magic. Yeah, you good.

Yeah, surprisingly she took to MTG pretty fast, considering its way more complicated than the other games we played.

Im probably going to make her play FSA with me next. Poor girl, her boyfriend needs to find more local nerds so she doesnt have to be subjected to this

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

PaintVagrant posted:

Yeah, surprisingly she took to MTG pretty fast, considering its way more complicated than the other games we played.

Im probably going to make her play FSA with me next. Poor girl, her boyfriend needs to find more local nerds so she doesnt have to be subjected to this

Some of us would kill to get our better halves playing a game, my missus did profess an interest in playing something and I'm certain she wasn't just humouring me but the problem is finding time amongst handling newborn child stuff to actually teach her something.

Board games might be the way forward though.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Boardgames own, its a really fun way to get my gf and non-geek friends to geek out with me.

Clean Cup
Mar 4, 2009

PaintVagrant posted:

My girlfriend does nothing but call me a nerd whenever I bring up anything that isn't the jersey shore. I have to hide my MtG and Warhams when she comes over. It baffles her why I would build my own computer or play video games.

I keep trying to convince her that nerds are cool and that I'm just like tony stark, but that only proves her point...

enri
Dec 16, 2003

PaintVagrant posted:

Boardgames own, its a really fun way to get my gf and non-geek friends to geek out with me.

I'd have more luck getting her sister to play a boardgame as she's big into her traditional boardgames (monopoly etc.), so I might go down that route and try to rope the SO into playing once I've roped her sister in.

God that sounds seedy.

Mind you, I did manage to get her to play a game of dungeonquest once upon a wet sunday afternoon, which was vaguely fun :3:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Try Wasabi to wean a gf/wife in. I wanted to get MY WIFE a boardgame for xmas that wasn't too crazy but wasn't monopoly either. The nerd store manager suggested this and it was a winner. It's easy to learn, handles 2-4 people, and has beautiful production values. There's some decent strategy involved also.

(I forgot to let her win the first time, big mistake on my part.)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I think this thread needs more pics. If anyone plays any of the games in the OP, POST PICS OF YOUR MINIS

Ill start:

FSA

Infinity (I dont own these anymore, unfortunately, although the colored hair makes me lol a bit now)

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I talked my wife into playing a Warbands game (where she beat me) but we're basically too busy to get her into the game with everything else going on in life. She likes the idea of the modeling/painting aspect, although she's skeptical about not getting frustrated with tiny people.

I've been thinking about trying to find a reasonable board-game equivalent we could play that wouldn't take forever. We play enough boardgames, including stuff like Risk, that I think that would work well. I've been back and forth about Grind, to be honest. How long does a game take? (And should this be in the PP thread?)

She's completely heartless at Parcheesi, I just need to focus that into something with tiny miniatures. Maybe I could make a parcheesi set with Marines, Tyranids, Eldar and Orks. :v:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Nah you can talk grind here, the PP thread is just warmachine hordes. Ive never played grind, but it looks pretty rad.

Someone was saying earlier that it uses the same dice mechanic as monpoc

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

PaintVagrant posted:

Added it to the OP. Ok, so here is a potentially sexist sounding question: Is MonPoc a good "girlfriend" game?

Just FYI that is a pretty sexist question. I try to convince my boyfriend to play these kind of games with me!

My turn.

Hey guys, does anyone have any good "boyfriend" games? He pretty much just likes Risk and found Twilight Imperium really boring and confusing.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Furret Basket posted:

Just FYI that is a pretty sexist question. I try to convince my boyfriend to play these kind of games with me!

My turn.

Hey guys, does anyone have any good "boyfriend" games? He pretty much just likes Risk and found Twilight Imperium really boring and confusing.

Actually that's a pretty good question. A lot of dudes are drawn to more visceral-style games when being introduced to board games (you sexist gently caress), so games that focus more on interactions between players via direct means like combat/backstabbing/fighting are gonna appeal to them more easily (particularly if they're new and young). Depending on the guy it can be a great stepping stone to getting them into more abstract strategy games and/or cooperative games vs the board.

Yes, I work at my LGS.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

S.J. posted:

Yes, I work at my LGS.

Considering I thought the same basic thing you wrote, it shows.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Ashcans posted:

I've been back and forth about Grind, to be honest. How long does a game take? (And should this be in the PP thread?)

Should take about 45 minutes for people who know the rules, much longer for the first time out. MUCH longer. This is because the rulebook is worded very vaguely at times and has no real logical order to how it explains stuff. Yea. :(

And yes, it does have the same dice mechanic as monpoc, but on a smaller scale.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Should take about 45 minutes for people who know the rules, much longer for the first time out. MUCH longer. This is because the rulebook is worded very vaguely at times and has no real logical order to how it explains stuff. Yea. :(

And yes, it does have the same dice mechanic as monpoc, but on a smaller scale.

This, in my experience. My brother and I have played Monpoc and Warhordes, and it took as an hour for the first half of our first game. I was actually fairly impressed with how much it felt like a Warmachine game, though. 'Assassinations' are possible, the tactics are awesome, and intentionally knocking an enemy down to push the Grinder through is cool. Need some more time to get to know the game, but I definite got to say it's good design, even with the rules critique from above. My peeve: Momentum.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
How big are the buildings in that monster game. Are they usable as terrain in 6mm games or would they look silly?

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Monpoc buildings are like 2-5 inches tall.

Actually I know someone who uses the Harbinger Shard from Monpoc as an objective marker for 40k. :v:

Dre2Dee2 fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 21, 2010

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Furret Basket posted:

Axis & Allies splits the difference pretty well. Also, TI is better with the expansion. The strategy cards are clearer and promote better interaction. And the new objectives provide much more incentive to build big rear end fleets and fight huge rear end space battles.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Yeah I have Axis and Allies, not really had chance to give it a real go. I've bought the Doom boardgame which I hope will be good.

He's really into his mechs and stuff so I'm thinking of getting some Battletech, are the rules very complex and/or in-depth? How fun are the rules? Is it mostly boring old stats and stuff or are there a lot of fun and simple "actions" you can do?

For comparison, he's okay with current 40k, it's a fairly simple set of rules and most of the units and armies have special abilities they can do.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Furret Basket posted:

Doing my best to push forward gender relations :clint:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Furret Basket posted:

Yeah I have Axis and Allies, not really had chance to give it a real go. I've bought the Doom boardgame which I hope will be good.

He's really into his mechs and stuff so I'm thinking of getting some Battletech, are the rules very complex and/or in-depth? How fun are the rules? Is it mostly boring old stats and stuff or are there a lot of fun and simple "actions" you can do?

For comparison, he's okay with current 40k, it's a fairly simple set of rules and most of the units and armies have special abilities they can do.

Battletech is a lot more fiddly than 40K. It's way more a "simulation" and less cinematic. It will probably be too slow playing for his tastes.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

PeterWeller posted:

Battletech is a lot more fiddly than 40K. It's way more a "simulation" and less cinematic. It will probably be too slow playing for his tastes.

Darn. Way to ruin a game that should be about stomping on people's faces.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Furret Basket posted:

Darn. Way to ruin a game that should be about stomping on people's faces.

What's ironic about your post is that Battletech's rules will literally let you stomp someone's face with a death from above attack, and it is one of the coolest things in the game.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Furret Basket posted:

When you get around to playing axis and allies, make sure to have a day or two spare and preferably try playing with at least 3 people if not more.

I inherited a copy from a friend who moved to Australia and we pretty much took time off work to play it.

Mind you, we managed to make a game of risk last from about 6pm through to 2am before we called it a day, not sure if that's a common theme with risk but I wouldn't have thought it would be.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

A&A and Risk aren't really games you should play until the bitter end. You should play them until you're bored with them, then pick a winner based on who was doing better.

Also, A&A is best with 2 people because then you don't have some players stuck with suck factions while others get the powerhouses.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Furret Basket posted:

If he likes Mechs and you want something cinematic, you could try Warmachine (or maybe Grind I guess). Warmachine can be played with a ton of the 'jacks, which are sufficiently mech-like, and it has lots of fun actions like throwing other mechs and powerslamming them into each other.

The game system is pretty nice, its simple to set up and fast paced. Note: I haven't played the current ruleset, but I understand that they kept most of the feel to the game.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

There are a lot of giant robots in monsterpocalypse, of the super robot variety. :ssh:

By the way, Monpoc is on VASSAL. Everything is explained here on how to set it up:

http://teamcovenant.com/01/07/2010/playing-monsterpocalypse-on-vassal/

I'm Außenseiter if you happen to see me on the server. :smug:

Dre2Dee2 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 22, 2010

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Dre2Dee2 posted:

There are a lot of giant robots in monsterpocalypse, of the super robot variety. :ssh:

By the way, Monpoc is on VASSAL. Everything is explained here on how to set it up:

http://teamcovenant.com/01/07/2010/playing-monsterpocalypse-on-vassal/

I'm Außenseiter if you happen to see me on the server. :smug:

drat, Team Covenant is everywhere. I'm going to be getting this downloaded. Vassal seems great for Monpoc.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Yeah, it's awesome. You can even play with promo figures Privateer has spoiled but hasn't released yet. :ssh:

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Yeah, it's awesome. You can even play with promo figures Privateer has spoiled but hasn't released yet. :ssh:

Also means I can play with the Shadow Elite Rocket Chopper I've been wanting since the game came out.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Furret Basket posted:

Try out Risk 2210 with him, all the armies there are various kinds of giant robots with bad rear end humans leading them. Other good ones to try would be Dust (which I really like), or the StarCraft Boardgame. The Doom Boardgame is awesome, no reason why anyone shouldn't like that. Also, I get a kick out of Frag, and they just reprinted it in Gold Edition. Do you guys have an LGS with demo games available?

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Tannhauser is pretty cool if you like Alt. History and magic "Nazis".

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Thanks for all the suggestions. I feel like I've managed to turn this thread into a board game thread though - whoops! Sorry PV.

No Pun Intended posted:

Tannhauser is pretty cool if you like Alt. History and magic "Nazis".

Which is why I wont ask anything about this but I'd just like to say that it looks AWESOME.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
It almost counts here as it is more akin to a miniatures game then a traditional boardgame.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Nah I started talking boardgames with all the gf talk and whatnot.

There is actually a boardgame mega thread here in TGD, and if you can get over the :smug:

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
Play Dominion

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Cross posted from my blog:

Malifaux is not grimdark like 40K. Neither is it semi-serious business like Warmahordes. What it is, is Malifun.

Yes, the puns (Malipuns, as it were) do get out of hand at times, but at our first “official” Malifaux get together last Thursday night, they were coming thick and fast. Luckily no one committed any serious Malifaux pas…

Okay, enough of that.

What follows is an account of, to the best of my recollection, the first of two 25ss games I got in:

Rob fielded his Viktorias, with Johan, a Ronin proxy and Bishop, caching 2 soulstones. His scenario was Reconnoitre (have models in all for quarters of the board) and his schemes were Thwart (ensure your opponent doesn’t achieve their objectives) and Bodyguard (make sure your master doesn’t die):

I ran Lady Justice, Judge, 2 Death Marshalls and the Executioner, caching 7 soulstones. My scenario was Assassination (kill the opposing master) and my schemes were Raid (have more minions in play than your opponent by the end of the game) and.. drat I don’t remember:

The location was Ghost Town and the special effect was Torrential Rains (no charging on turns when this is in effect.)

First turn, everyone ran up (exciting!). The Executioner acted as bullet and sword bait.

Second turn, and not pictured (it would have been to right of the frame), Bishop beat the living snot out of the flanking Marshall. The Executioner attracted a lot of attention from the shooty Viktoria and Johan but they were unable to land any hits. This particular game had an unusually high number of black and red jokers turning up, often in the same hit and damage sequence on several attacks. It was nuts. The Executioner charged Johan and tore him apart.

Alas, he wasn’t much longer for the world as the sword mistress Viktoria sliced him to bits. His Slow to Die attack failed miserably. The Ronin lunged forward to attack the Marshal, doing respectable damage, and then pushed back out of combat.

Next turn, the rains came down and no charging was possible. At some point Bishop went down (I can’t remember how), taking pressure of my right flank. The Ronin dodged away to the right, putting a shot into Lady J for weak damage. Unable to charge, Lady J advanced right into the sword mistress Viktoria, cast her 0 action Sword Style to add an additional damage flip, but was only able to land one hit, leaving the Viktoria with 1 health. This wasn’t looking good as her twin moved up.

Rob burned through his soulstones trying to hit and I was burning mine trying NOT to get hit. Ultimately, it was a bit of a stalemate. That was until the Judge moved in to support. With cries of “here come da’ Judge”, I moved him into melee range and he ended the shooty Viktoria’s existence (mostly due to lucky draws and the fact that we had no cards left in our hands).

Next turn I was able to burn a soulstone to get initiative and Lady J went nuts on the remaining Viktoria. Even with Sword Style: Onslaught up (every time she damaged with a greatsword attack she gets another immediate attack) it took all of my remaining soulstones to actually hit and damage Viktoria enough to take her down.

The VP score ended up 8-0, as there was no way for Rob to complete his scenario or schemes.

At least in this game the Executioner did something other than attract damage and die almost immediately, but he never got a chance to shine. You wouldn’t know he had the Terrifying trait the way people seem to beat the willpower duel every freaking time.

I'll post another battle report if there's interest. Might take a bit, though, as I've got a WM tourney this weekend with a ton of prep work to do first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Awesome.

When I saw that pic of both viktorias on lady justice, my first thought was "whoever has the first activation in that combat wins this game"