Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's the rules. They also have a slightly different turret shape IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Has a different gun and mantlet, and better armour protection.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Well just priced up my 2500pt BKC2 army list for British 1st Armoured Division in North Africa, 1942 and it comes to nearly £50. Im thinking my Afrika Korp Panzer division is going to cost similar...

Oh well better get saving for the Salute Show in April then!

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Cakefool posted:

The only difference is the gun right? That sounds like a really easy conversion. Unless the rules say you can't take 76mm Shermans, in which case ignore me.

Yeah as the others have said, They are not available in my force org.

I got a M10 Section today, while I was in the store, lo and behold they had the FoW army painter sprays. I was originally going to base-coat my army in brown violet via airbrush so I picked up a can of M/L US Armor instead.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I'm excited about almost finishing my soviets (basing them - I still have to paint them, but that likely won't happen until spring).

Then I remember how many 10mm AWI minis I have to base.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Is anyone interested in some unpainted 28mm world war one miniatures?

I've got some Renegade miniatures british soldiers. I think I've got 15 or so, plus a vickers gun and crew as well as a Wargames Foundry machinegun team. Postage will be cheaper to the UK, but I can happily post them further if anyone's interested. Lay out your email address if you're interested in photos and I'll suggest a low, low price so cheap I'm cutting my own throat.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Hey eurofags: http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1748

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Is anyone interested in some unpainted 28mm world war one miniatures?

I've got some Renegade miniatures british soldiers. I think I've got 15 or so, plus a vickers gun and crew as well as a Wargames Foundry machinegun team. Postage will be cheaper to the UK, but I can happily post them further if anyone's interested. Lay out your email address if you're interested in photos and I'll suggest a low, low price so cheap I'm cutting my own throat.

Oooh. Interesting. I'd PM you my email, but you apparently don't have plat.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

Oooh. Interesting. I'd PM you my email, but you apparently don't have plat.

you could email me at dangerDOToctopus at googlemailDOTcom. Decipher the code to contact me!

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Anyone else had problems with the FoW mini rulebook from the Open Fire! set? I purchased the set a few weeks back and pretty much straight away the pages started falling out. I contacted Battlefront, and they sent me a replacement rulebook no questions asked which arrived today. However, I noticed straight away that even the replacement is showing signs that the pages are about to fall out when I first opened it.

I've had no problems with any of the other FoW books I have so far, just the mini rulebook.

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Plus I gotta keep enough lettuce to support your shoe fetish.

Roma posted:

Anyone else had problems with the FoW mini rulebook from the Open Fire! set? I purchased the set a few weeks back and pretty much straight away the pages started falling out. I contacted Battlefront, and they sent me a replacement rulebook no questions asked which arrived today. However, I noticed straight away that even the replacement is showing signs that the pages are about to fall out when I first opened it.

I've had no problems with any of the other FoW books I have so far, just the mini rulebook.

Some FoW books have terrible bindings - mainly the ones printed in England. Apparently the new Eastern Front book, and North Africa both have serious problems too. BF has shown no indication they care really, so we'll see if they do anything about it.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I haven't lost any pages yet, but I can tell that won't last forever. It's a shame, because the whole point of a mini-rulebook is portability, but all that handling is going to make this thing fall apart.

Guildenstern
Feb 22, 2005

by T. Finn
I'd love to get into historicals and have tried once, but I'm having a hard time finding a decent, fast-playing ruleset for Napoleonics. Are there any decent adaptations of DBA into the horse & musket period out there? I love its rules in principle, but my historical interests encompass primarily the early modern period. Pre-gunpowder stuff just has no appeal to me.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Guildenstern posted:

I'd love to get into historicals and have tried once, but I'm having a hard time finding a decent, fast-playing ruleset for Napoleonics. Are there any decent adaptations of DBA into the horse & musket period out there? I love its rules in principle, but my historical interests encompass primarily the early modern period. Pre-gunpowder stuff just has no appeal to me.

Are you after skirmish or grand scale?

I would recommend Black Powder for grand scale and Sharp Practice for skirmish.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Yeah, I can't recommend Black Powder enough. The ruleset is really written for quick* games, and it's very well done.

*Quick for a wargame, at least.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Guildenstern posted:

Yes, there's DBR, which is for the post-gunpowder era. I haven't tried it, but it looks pretty much like ordinary DBA with some unit types removed and some added. It's not as widely played as DBA, but there are some players out there. The 28mm plastic Napoleonics from Perry Miniatures and Victrix looks really nice, but at the same time I think 10mm or even 6mm looks more "Napoleonic" to me. All that massed infantry. But then again, check out the French heavy cavalry and hussars previews:

EDIT; oh crap, DBR seems to cut off about a century before what you are looking for. Well, there's some very simple fan made Napoleonic DBA rules out there:

http://www.fanaticus.org/DBA/periodadaptations/NAPOLEONIC%20DBA%20RULES.pdf

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 22, 2010

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Welp!

I just bought Ambush Alley (and Ambush Z).

This thread is just as bad for my wallet as the Warham thread used to be. :(

Jarofmoldymayo
Mar 5, 2008
Any good wargames set say...

During the crusades?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Both DBA and Field of Glory should have rules for that.

Jarofmoldymayo
Mar 5, 2008
Where would I find the rules for these games?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

They both have writeups in the first posts: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=370444861&forumid=234

I know WarStore sells Field of Glory, but that's really only good if you're in the US.

Jarofmoldymayo
Mar 5, 2008
I'll have to check that one out, I like the warstore.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

DBA has pretty much every army you can imagine connected to the Crusades in the rulebook. Like my Later Crusaders:

For Field of Glory, you are looking for the Swords and Scimitars sourcebook, which covers:

EARLY CRUSADER

LATER CRUSADER

FATIMID EGYPTIAN

GEORGIAN

SELJUK TURK

CUMAN

LATER ALAN ALLIES

KOMNENAN BYZANTINE

CILICIAN ARMENIAN

SYRIAN STATES

ARAB CITIES

BEDOUIN

KHWARAZMIAN

AYYUBID EGYPTIAN

MIDDLE SERBIAN

MIDDLE BULGARIAN

MEDIEVAL CYPRIOT

POST LATIN CONQUEST BYZANTINE

LATIN GREECE

ILKHANID MONGOL

MAMLUK EGYPTIAN

For miniatures I really like Mirliton's 15mm later crusaders, and for 28mm I think Perry Miniature makes some really nice early crusaders. Khurasan Miniatures have some nice miniatures too, and many of their ranges are from around that region.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 23, 2010

Jarofmoldymayo
Mar 5, 2008
Awesome.

So which one would be more suggested?

Or should I just sorta try both and see which I like?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Jarofmoldymayo posted:

Awesome.

So which one would be more suggested?

Or should I just sorta try both and see which I like?

DBA is cheaper. You only need one book that cost like 10 bucks, and the picture I posted is an entire Crusader army with all options you'll ever need. This means that it is pretty cheap to buy the miniatures too, most manufacturers will sell you an entire DBA army set for 15-50 bucks. This means that you can buy the rules, two opposing armies (to lend to opponents who don't want to buy an army at once themselves) and still spend less than 100 dollars. If you are a somewhat dedicated painter you can also get them painted within two to three months.

FoG armies, however, start out at about three or four times the size of the army I posted. This means that it is more expensive to buy the models, with starter army sets usually costing 75-130 bucks. It will also take far more time to paint them. Additionally you will need to buy both the rulebook and the crusade book, both of them more expensive than the DBA book. So it is a much bigger investment both in money and time.

Now, FoG has some good points. It is more of a big army game with lots of miniatures lining up for a battle that takes several hours. You'll need a big playing areas, lots of miniatures, and time. The end result is a pretty nice big battle game, I think. DBA on the other hand is a bit like chess: it requires fewer miniatures, only a 2'x 2' area, and it is over within an hour. And it makes for a good fast game. So both are good, but in completely different ways.

Some 15mm Seljuk Turks

The good thing is that both use the same basing system, so you can easily start out by buying the DBA rulebook two opposing DBA armies, say early crusaders and seljuk turks. Now you have a cheap entry point to the historical hobby, and an extra army for your friends to try the game with. You still haven't spent all that much money, so if you hate it you can just sell them on e-bay and your wallet won't cry.

After that it is pretty easy to slowly add battlegroups for a FoG army. A Battlegroup is usually about 12-24 models, so just pick up enough blisters to fill out your DBA units to proper battlegroups. In the meantime you can pick up the rules and proxy units with bases that you just write unit types on. Now you have a small and fast game (DBA) that you can play while collecting your big army game (FoG), instead of sitting on a pile of lead for a year while painting.

28mm Persians based for Warhammer Ancient Battles

Things to keep in mind: historical manufacturers normally sell their miniatures without bases, since basing systems are different from game to game. A good way to pick up a bunch of bases for cheap is Litko. 15mm scale FoG and DBA use 40mm wide bases. The depth depends on what kind of unit it is: heavy infantry on 15mm deep bases, almost all other infantry on 20mm deep bases, cavalry on 30mm deep bases and artillery and elephants on 40mm deep bases. Buy a whole bunch so you can proxy FoG armies.

If you have decided what kinds of armies you are most interested and in what scale, and I can try to give you the lowdown on what companies you should check out.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jan 23, 2010

Guildenstern
Feb 22, 2005

by T. Finn

lilljonas posted:

EDIT; oh crap, DBR seems to cut off about a century before what you are looking for. Well, there's some very simple fan made Napoleonic DBA rules out there:

http://www.fanaticus.org/DBA/periodadaptations/NAPOLEONIC%20DBA%20RULES.pdf

These look incomplete, but I've done some designing and houserules in my day so I think I can make it playable with a little work. Thanks :)

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Jarofmoldymayo posted:

Any good wargames set say...

During the crusades?

Just a heads up, the Perrys have some typically brilliant minis for the crusades, both European and Muslim.

http://www.perry-miniatures.com/index2.html

Jarofmoldymayo
Mar 5, 2008
After talking with a history buff friend of mine, I'd kinda like to also look at 13th century pastoral nomad minis, but I have no idea where to look.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Jarofmoldymayo posted:

After talking with a history buff friend of mine, I'd kinda like to also look at 13th century pastoral nomad minis, but I have no idea where to look.

Central Asian nomads like Mongol or Turkic tribes? Middle Eastern nomads like some Turks or Arabs? Or even northern African nomads like Berbers or Tuaregs?

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 24, 2010

Jarofmoldymayo
Mar 5, 2008

lilljonas posted:

Central Asian nomads like Mongol or Turkic tribes? Middle Eastern nomads like some Turks or Arabs? Or even northern African nomads like Berbers or Tuaregs?

I was thinking Mongol.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Jarofmoldymayo posted:

I was thinking Mongol.

Scale?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Jarofmoldymayo posted:

I was thinking Mongol.

First, if you have two dollars to spare, I'd recommend downloading episode 12 of Dan Carlin's Hardcore History for getting in the mood of collecting a bunch of steppe nomads. Also check out the movie Mongol, which isn't the best movie in the world, but it has some great steppe scenes.

The great thing about Central Asian nomads is the versatiliy of miniatures. As Dan Carlin points out in the radio show, the fact that living condition stayed very similar in the Central Asian plains for thousands of years means that people lived similar livestyles. They dressed pretty much the same way, dressed in the same clothes, and waged wars the same way. A Hun overrunning a Roman border fortification would even look a lot like some of the steppe nomads pressed into service by the Soviet army in WW2 to harrass retreating German soldiers.

The great thing about Mongols is that their army was built up by tribes and kingdoms they had conquered. The actual Mongol part was relatively small. So you can bulk out your army with Cumans, Alans, Turks, Koreans, Chinese, Khwarezmians, even Arabs, and still be historically correct. If they are on a horse and they have a bow, chances are that you can use it in some way.

Another advantage with collecting Mongols is that the core army that you use for the Mongol Conquest type of army can easily be changed into Ilkhanid Mongols or Timurid Mongols if you feel like it, and want to get away from the big hordes of light cavalry in favour of adding some exotic troops like elephants.

I'm currently looking at Mongols myself and I must admit I haven't decided what company to buy from. But here's what I've been looking at. Bear in mind I'm only looking for 15mm:

Alain Touller. He has nice Mongols, and with his very nice Timurid elephants his miniatures could be used for all kinds of Mongol armies. However, looking for feedback on his miniatures online he seems to be a weird French hermit who you can't really trust to deliver them in a reasonable time. His shipping outside France is also very expensive, it's not like I'm spending 12 euro to get some test miniatures.

Essex, which is sort of the old big historical company. They don't have a proper Mongol range but they have several different middle eastern types that could work: Cumans, Georgians and some Ilkhanid Mongols. Now, Essex are sort of OK and rather affordable, but I'm not exactly jumping up and down with glee over their casting quality.

15mm.com I have no idea about this manufacturer and have heard nothing about them, neither positive nor negative. They seem to be reasonably priced and ok sculpt wise, disadvantage here being that they just come in a single pose for each pack. Some like to have units that look identical, some don't. I'm in the latter camp.

Museum Miniatures are cheap, but I think so-so quality sculpts. Wide range though, and I think they have the best looking trebuchets out there if you want some artillery in your army.

Donnington pretty so-so. Difficult to say if the thick paint jobs lets these minis down.

Black Hat is cheap. Especially if you buy their bulk deals. Not the best quality ever but affordable.

Mirliton is one of my favourite companies, but unfortunately the only thing usable here is their Turcopoles.

Old Glory 15mm is also cheap, especially their big army deals. I also think they look pretty well actually, and if you live in the US they are one of the very few choices where you won't end up paying shipping over the pond. If I end up buying a while Field of Glory army at once, it will probably be from them.

Minifigs also have mongols but I'm not even linking them since I think they look like crap.

I'll keep on looking since I haven't found a perfect range yet. A good way to start looking if you are new to the hobby and don't know of many companies is the Madaxeman.com, which has quite a good list of 15mm historical companies and some feedback on them.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jan 24, 2010

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

In IRC we were coming up with some scenarios/forces for Ambush Alley that would be less offensive:

* Panama
* Grenada
* Chechnya
* Israel/Palestine (okay, that might offend)
* Some kind of Blood Diamond Conflict scenario

I guess I just see no reason to make it US v. Arabs or something.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Lord Commissar posted:

In IRC we were coming up with some scenarios/forces for Ambush Alley that would be less offensive:

* Panama
* Grenada
* Chechnya

How about Aztecs vs Seljuq Turks? Laotian Peacekeepers vs Roman Communist Partisans?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

West coast vs East coast?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Elendil004 posted:

West coast vs East coast?

That would be better with Force on Force.

It does bring up some other ideas like SWAT v. Rioters, &c.

Ooh maybe IRA v. Black & Tans.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Lord Commissar posted:

* Panama
* Grenada
* Chechnya

http://madaboutgaming.blogspot.com/2009/10/bongadishu-goes-bang.html this was run again at a convention here a while back, but with Ambush Alley instead of Force on Force rules, justs piles and piles of militia dudes with guns running around and getting shot at. Apparently it was awesome.

That IRA vs Black and Tans would be AWESOME specifically because people are still pissed off about it.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Lord Commissar posted:

* Panama
* Grenada
* Chechnya

Peacekeeping in Western Africa, like the Cote D'Ivoire Civil War. You have so many factions you can work with: UN troops, Loyalists, French military, various rebel factions, Belarusian mercenaries, Liberian fighters etc. You can do force on force between the more well armed and organized factions, or "rebel rabble" vs. UN for something more similar to the typical style of AA.

Pretty PC compared to most of your options there. The minis are generic enough for you to be able to reuse them to play in other African civil wars (Zaire, Sudan, even South African gang violence or apartheid era civil disorder). Also there's tons of reading to do on the civil war, and I think it is easier to wargame than say Zaire or Sudan.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

http://madaboutgaming.blogspot.com/2009/10/bongadishu-goes-bang.html this was run again at a convention here a while back, but with Ambush Alley instead of Force on Force rules, justs piles and piles of militia dudes with guns running around and getting shot at. Apparently it was awesome.

This is the kind of thing that has put me off moderns. Every bat rep or mission for this kind of thing always has the most adolescent, offensive make-believe story or setting. "Hay guys check out this AAR of my US marines slaughtering the militia of Oooga Booga bongo darkie land". :ughh:

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 25, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I thought he was talking about :420: