Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Doctor Zero posted:

I guess that extra 2" makes a world of difference. I'm 6'2" and feel okay in my WJ. Either that or you have some seriously long legs. :( Sorry it didn't work out.
No, when you've got a bit of an rear end on you, it pushes you forward in the seat a bit, which means you encounter legroom issues a skinnier person of the same height wouldn't. Same with having big thighs that get uncomfortably close to the steering wheel.

I definitely have more "effective" legroom in cars now that I've lost weight, even though my height hasn't changed. I used to find it a complete pain if a car had a centre console that curved around the driver, as I couldn't sit with my legs slightly splayed (think the traditional Fiat driving position) to clear the wheel. Supposedly bigger cars, with more luxurious interiors, were often less roomy for me than small tinboxes with fewer accoutrements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullfox
Aug 19, 2008

InitialDave posted:

No, when you've got a bit of an rear end on you, it pushes you forward in the seat a bit, which means you encounter legroom issues a skinnier person of the same height wouldn't. Same with having big thighs that get uncomfortably close to the steering wheel.

I definitely have more "effective" legroom in cars now that I've lost weight, even though my height hasn't changed. I used to find it a complete pain if a car had a centre console that curved around the driver, as I couldn't sit with my legs slightly splayed (think the traditional Fiat driving position) to clear the wheel. Supposedly bigger cars, with more luxurious interiors, were often less roomy for me than small tinboxes with fewer accoutrements.

It's interesting (And incredibly helpful) that you bring this up. My girlfriend mentioned said that it may help if I lost weight - I personally didn't think it would make a huge difference, it's not like im overweight to the point of my stomach touching the steering wheel, but I am on the heavy side of things.

Maybe instead of be so quick to sell of the Grand Cherokee I should focus on losing weight, cause you know, that whole not being fat thing would be awesome in addition to having more room.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

WildFoxMedia posted:

Maybe instead of be so quick to sell of the Grand Cherokee I should focus on losing weight, cause you know, that whole not being fat thing would be awesome in addition to having more room.
I took my sweet time to decide to lose weight, but once I got into it, I actually found I enjoyed the challenge, and I've changed my lifestyle a hell of a lot.

I'm not going to fill up a car forum with weightloss crap, but look into low-carbohydrate, high-protein diets. Eat small meals of 2-300 calories every few hours. Drink as much water as you can cope with. You can probably trust (most of) Watch & Weight to offer good advice, but they do give people poo poo if they think they're going to be half-hearted about things or completely ignore what they say.

Pyruvate
Apr 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My wife's 97 Grand Cherokee sometimes doesn't want to idle. You have to push on the accelerator to start it, and once your foot is completely off, it just dies, no rough idling or anything, just cuts off. I replaced the Idle Air Control Valve and that seemed to correct the problem, but sometimes it runs like normal, and other times it doesn't idle and keeps quitting. What should I look at next?

giundy
Dec 10, 2005
I'm not one to normally troll a thread, but these have me busting a gut.

grnberet2b posted:

My mom owns an FJ and totally loves it.

WildFoxMedia posted:

It's interesting (And incredibly helpful) that you bring this up. My girlfriend mentioned said that it may help if I lost weight

And now for some content, my CJ is coming along and I decided to make some seat harness brackets. 1/8" plate sucks to bend with nothing but c-clamps and a hammer. And what's on the table:

Grade 5 hardware (gently caress Lowes for not having fine thread grd 8). Either way 3x4" plate should be fine. I would prefer to weld this on the underside but the t-case is in the way and I'm not pulling the tub off. (I would love to)

p.s. My CJ may be for sale in a week or so if anyone is interested.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど
My dad has kind of a beater of a Jeep. It's a '97 Wrangler hardtop. Among it's other issues, there's at least one piece missing. I can't seem to find out what this exact part is called to order one, so I was looking for some help.

You can see where it should fit here, between the tailgate and the rear glass:

Is this just a portion of the hardtop that's been lost in whatever wall the PO drove it through?

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Pitch posted:

My dad has kind of a beater of a Jeep. It's a '97 Wrangler hardtop. Among it's other issues, there's at least one piece missing. I can't seem to find out what this exact part is called to order one, so I was looking for some help.

You can see where it should fit here, between the tailgate and the rear glass:

Is this just a portion of the hardtop that's been lost in whatever wall the PO drove it through?

It's not missing anything. The bracket that goes there is for the soft-top. Or tonneau cover.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

monkeyboy posted:

Click here for the full 960x720 image.

The zombie response decal gets alot of attention. All good.

How do you get TJ style rollbars on a YJ?

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Braincloud posted:

It's not missing anything. The bracket that goes there is for the soft-top. Or tonneau cover.
And it isn't supposed to have weather stripping or anything to seal the rear glass?

giundy
Dec 10, 2005

Braincloud posted:

Hard tops shouldn't need any brackets to attach.

Steiler Drep posted:

How do you get TJ style rollbars on a YJ?

They changed them to "family" style bars in 1992, where the back is above the rear seats.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
I've become enamored with J-10's and J-20's. Especially short bed J-10's. How hard are these to find in somewhat good condition for someone whos not magical mechanically, and how much would one in that type run cost wise?

There is someone in my area who apparently restores old jeeps I've talked to but he didn't have any J-10's and said he wasn't sure on the price right now, but would call me if he can find some.

I've decided an older jeep would be a fun knock around in vehicle, but the pickups just look cool. Also, they seem to be more 'reasonably' priced then say some of the 'wrangler' predecessors that I can find.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Braincloud posted:

But it's another thing that DC was totally inconsistent with. Some factory hardtop TJs had the guide brackets, some didn't. They are required for the softtop. With the hardtop installed, the brackets function as a bumpstop for the glass. Without them, you can slam the glass onto the weather strip, causing it to fit too tightly onto the hardtop, and you'll get leaks unless you adjust the weather strip back to where it needs to be. Tried running the hardtop without them and this is what happened to me.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

A Man Whore posted:

I've become enamored with J-10's and J-20's. Especially short bed J-10's. How hard are these to find in somewhat good condition for someone whos not magical mechanically, and how much would one in that type run cost wise?

I've been longing for one as well. They generally run as much as a Wagoneer but with a lot more rust. So say $1000 for something that you can drive away, $2000 for something without pressing issues, $5000 for something really clean. They are a lot more rare, which usually translates into time spent looking rather than price.

Most J trucks are widetrack, so the axles are slightly wider and have wider fenders. What this really means is that water collects in the fenders because there weren't drain holes and rusts them out. Beds get really rusted too. I have seen a lot with beds just laying on the frame because the mounts rusted away. Rust rust rust, the FSJ marching song.

Mechanically they are pretty simple. Mostly 4.2L I6 or 360/401 V8 with a carb, TF727 or TH400 auto trans, BorgWarner or Tremec manual trans, New Process or BorgWarner transfer case, Dana axles. All really straightforward stuff, save a few oddities here and there.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

A Man Whore posted:

Watch out for low oil pressure with the V8 engines. They like to roast the rear main bearings and cam bearings. The fix for low oil pressure is usually a new timing cover, which runs $400 or so.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

All this J10 talk is making me miss my folks J10 they used to have. All the snob moms hated my mom for dropping me off at preschool in a kickin' rad J10. I used to play in the bed of that loving thing for hours.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

incredibull posted:

But it's another thing that DC was totally inconsistent with.

Oh yeah, that's right. They used different brackets for different years too! My 99 TJ's wouldn't fit on my mom's 2000. The bar on the window was thicker. Found this out when I gave her my tonneau.

Pitch posted:

And it isn't supposed to have weather stripping or anything to seal the rear glass?

Also, yes in the pic, it does look like it's missing the rubber weather stripping on the bottom of the window bar (in my defense, I upgraded to my JK almost 2 years ago and haven't been studying the intricacies of the TJ since then).

giundy posted:

Hard tops shouldn't need any brackets to attach.

We're you agreeing with me or did you not see that I wrote the "bracket is for the soft-top"?

Braincloud fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 24, 2010

freestyl
Oct 21, 2006

1-31-07 NEVER FORGET
I'm starting to do some research on Liberty's, from like 02-07. Is there any advice I can pick up from you guys? Any major problems or engine issues? Looking to make this a family vehicle to replace a 97 Camry.

be Creative
May 26, 2007
my brother is teh pwn.
I have a 99 Cherokee Sport, 4x4, finicky window switches, and all. My dad told me that he noticed its leaking transmission fluid, but only a few drops here and there. I'm away at school now, so I havent gotten to look it at. But I dont know much about what I'd be looking for anyway. I was wondering if this is common, and what I need to have done about it, if anything at all.

Thanks

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

freestyl posted:

I'm starting to do some research on Liberty's, from like 02-07. Is there any advice I can pick up from you guys? Any major problems or engine issues? Looking to make this a family vehicle to replace a 97 Camry.

Scary auto transmissions. There are several varients but they're all evolved UltraDrive (think A604) units. I've got a hard-on for a Diesel Lib, but really it's just the diesel I want, and I want it in a Cherokee or a Wrangler. So really I don't want a Liberty.

freestyl
Oct 21, 2006

1-31-07 NEVER FORGET

trouser chili posted:

Scary auto transmissions. There are several varients but they're all evolved UltraDrive (think A604) units. I've got a hard-on for a Diesel Lib, but really it's just the diesel I want, and I want it in a Cherokee or a Wrangler. So really I don't want a Liberty.

Scary like, they break a lot? Would a similar year Cherokee be a better quality buy? I have no experience with Jeep whatsoever.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

freestyl posted:

Scary like, they break a lot? Would a similar year Cherokee be a better quality buy? I have no experience with Jeep whatsoever.

Cherokees were replaced by Liberty's in 2002 unfortunately. You could find a 2001 4.0L XJ, which are durable and excellent cars in all possible way. I don't understand why Jeep decided to replace such an iconic car with a car that's not doing that great in sales. They could have just made the interior a bit more modern and look into fixing up the grill a bit (such as how the chinese are modifying their Cherokee 2500), but hey that's Jeep for you. At least they haven't mutilated the Wrangler.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

freestyl posted:

A couple friends of mine have had Liberties, and neither one of them have been very impressed with them. Underpowered, with not as much room as you'd think. Also the MPG isn't all that great (16-22). If you really want a jeep, I'd go with an earlier model Cherokee or a Grand Cherokee, but that might be changing what you consider a "family" car too much.

grnberet2b
Aug 12, 2008

spiralbrain posted:

Does this mean that you can still shift to 4 high or 4 low? If not, yeah that's not cool.

There's still a hi/lo option, which makes it a little less weird to me. I want to say there's a third option, but really can't remember. I'll have to look next time I get a chance.

spiralbrain posted:

The thing I didnt like about the FJ is the horrible visibility out the rear and over the hood, something that you definitely want in a 4WD vehicle.

This was a huge complaint to me - when I drive it, I'm scared enough backing out of the driveway, because I probably couldn't see your average sedan if it was parked across the street. I've gotten where I don't even use the rear-view mirror in that thing.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

freestyl posted:

Scary as in, they've got issues. The Ultradrives were notorious from the start. They are fairly good now, and when they are working right they work very well, but they're still very finicky and sometimes just explode, others just never work right. That all said, I took an A604 (the most notorious and failure-prone Ultradrive) to 146,000 miles. I thought it died when it dumped all it's fluid on a drive across the state, but it turns out it was just the cooler lines. I replaced them, sold the van and I know it was still running just fine a year later.

freestyl
Oct 21, 2006

1-31-07 NEVER FORGET

Steiler Drep posted:

Cherokees were replaced by Liberty's in 2002 unfortunately.

Sorry, I meant the Grand Cherokee.

Doctor Zero posted:

If you really want a jeep, I'd go with an earlier model Cherokee or a Grand Cherokee, but that might be changing what you consider a "family" car too much.

A Jeep is just one of several options I am considering. The wife and I have a toddler and will be having another kid in a year or so and want to get something bigger then a Camry. We will have to buy used and we're looking at things like Grand Cherokee's, Liberty's, Santa Fe's, Rav 4's, CRV's, Escape's, xB's, etc etc etc.

Family car to us will basically encompass roomy enough for two car seats, grocies and other bullshit like strollers. We also live in Maine so we are looking at probably going with 4wd this time. It's not 100% necessary but could be a plus. Being higher does help to see over the snow banks at intersections though. Most of our is short trips.

Biggest concerns are going to be over all reliability and cost/frequency of repairs. Thanks trouser I will have to keep that info in mind.

freestyl fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 25, 2010

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

grnberet2b posted:

There's still a hi/lo option, which makes it a little less weird to me. I want to say there's a third option, but really can't remember. I'll have to look next time I get a chance.

This was a huge complaint to me - when I drive it, I'm scared enough backing out of the driveway, because I probably couldn't see your average sedan if it was parked across the street. I've gotten where I don't even use the rear-view mirror in that thing.

Is it just maybe neutral?

The power is phenomenal in the FJ but Ive found the Jeep has plenty of power even when fully loaded like I had during a recent camping trip to Mammoth. 8000' ft climbing into the high sierras buried at 4000 RPM and I still had power to pass people.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

freestyl posted:

Sorry, I meant the Grand Cherokee.

A Jeep is just one of several options I am considering. The wife and I have a toddler and will be having another kid in a year or so and want to get something bigger then a Camry. We will have to buy used and we're looking at things like Grand Cherokee's, Liberty's, Santa Fe's, Rav 4's, CRV's, Escape's, xB's, etc etc etc.

Family car to us will basically encompass roomy enough for two car seats, grocies and other bullshit like strollers. We also live in Maine so we are looking at probably going with 4wd this time. It's not 100% necessary but could be a plus. Being higher does help to see over the snow banks at intersections though. Most of our is short trips.

Biggest concerns are going to be over all reliability and cost/frequency of repairs. Thanks trouser I will have to keep that info in mind.

I had a 1995 Grand Cherokee was that stonking mad in the snow. Fucker was climbing over snow banks and poo poo. It had a part-time 4wd system, I think it was called selec-trac. You had to move a big lever to engage it and you couldn't run it on dry pavement. Real positive engagement deal. Only problem I'd have with it today is that really they're not that big inside. Certainly no more passenger room than a Camry, and that's the problem with all SUV I see today. They look big, but really they're much more like tall sedans. Now I live in St. Louis so I don't have to deal with the snow you do, but for the family hauling business I picked up a Mazda5, and it's superb at that duty. If you're working with young children, once you live with sliding doors, there is no going back.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If any of you Jeep goons are in southern california and know of a decent XJ or even a ZJ for sale, PM me please.

drat things are getting harder to find in good shape every year.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Steiler Drep posted:

Cherokees were replaced by Liberty's in 2002 unfortunately. You could find a 2001 4.0L XJ, which are durable and excellent cars in all possible way. I don't understand why Jeep decided to replace such an iconic car with a car that's not doing that great in sales. They could have just made the interior a bit more modern and look into fixing up the grill a bit (such as how the chinese are modifying their Cherokee 2500), but hey that's Jeep for you. At least they haven't mutilated the Wrangler.

I think the Cherokee is the best looking Jeep ever built and the 99-01's look fantastic. The Cherokee 2500 grills look awful to me, not nearly as clean as the last XJ grill. I keep holding out a sliver of hope that someone at Fiat will say "hey, let's bring back this Cherokee thing and the 4.0 along with it."

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

Rhyno posted:

I think the Cherokee is the best looking Jeep ever built and the 99-01's look fantastic. The Cherokee 2500 grills look awful to me, not nearly as clean as the last XJ grill. I keep holding out a sliver of hope that someone at Fiat will say "hey, let's bring back this Cherokee thing and the 4.0 along with it."

4.0 is gone :(

EPA will never let it come back.

I'm keeping my 00 XJ forever though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fordham posted:

4.0 is gone :(

EPA will never let it come back.

I'm keeping my 00 XJ forever though.

But there was a new head design and stuff! They could totally bring it back!

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I'm in the market for a new car, and I'm seriously considering taking the plunge into the Jeep world. I've spent a ton of time in them since my dad had a few growing up, and the Wrangler has always been sort of my dream car. Though most of my driving would be around Austin, Texas, I would like to get out to some of the national parks and in the winters I plan on driving north to Washington state, where I'll spend a fair bit of time up in the mountains.

Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to look at a normal Wrangler or an Unlimited. The unlimited seems like it'd be more useful in the long term, but I've never come close to driving anything that big. Does anyone have any experience regarding the handling on each size and how they compare, or just how massive the Unlimited feels when driving it? And would you say your MPG has been?

And as an aside, how's the sound system with the roof off?

Clamwacker
Feb 12, 2007

It is now time to rock out with your cock out. BEGIN!
I've never driven any of the JKs, but I drove a buddy's LJ. It's basically a 2004 Wrangler with a longer wheelbase. It handles a little better on road, but suffers slightly offroad because it can high center more easily. In a hardcore offroad situation I'd rather have the short wheelbase, but in "normal" wheeling it's nothing that can't be handled by taking a different line over any given obstacle.

The LJ has the definite advantage of having much more space in the back seat compared to other Jeeps of that time. I sat in the back seat of the LJ just to try it, and it was like a fuckin Maybach compared to my YJ.

I have ridden in one guy's JK unlimited, and it was pretty nice inside, but he didn't really get on the gas to show me its power (he's kind of a pussy, and will never wheel his Jeep), so I have no idea how the 3.8 liter minivan engine goes.

In my YJ, there's no big difference between the sound system with the roof off or on - it sounds just as lovely either way. I imagine getting an overhead soundbar would significantly change that.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Rhyno posted:

Mopar is coming out with a drop-in 4.7L stroker for '91-'06 4.0 models.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Rhyno posted:

The problem with the I6 is that it powers the Cherokee (discontinued), the old Grand Cherokee (discontinued) and the Wrangler and nothing else. It's a big heavy bulky engine that doesn't fit in the majority of what's offered in the MOPAR family. It makes sense that it's dead, sad as it is. They're not going to produce an engine that only powers one vehicle. It's not economically viable in today's automotive manufacturing climate where everything is platform shared and parts-bin. The old EGH (minivan) motor meanwhile can plop right into just about everything they poop out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

trouser chili posted:

The problem with the I6 is that it powers the Cherokee (discontinued), the old Grand Cherokee (discontinued) and the Wrangler and nothing else. It's a big heavy bulky engine that doesn't fit in the majority of what's offered in the MOPAR family. It makes sense that it's dead, sad as it is. They're not going to produce an engine that only powers one vehicle. It's not economically viable in today's automotive manufacturing climate where everything is platform shared and parts-bin. The old EGH (minivan) motor meanwhile can plop right into just about everything they poop out.

Well the obvious solution is for Chrysler to redesign every vehicle intheir lineup to fix the 4.0.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Rhyno posted:

Well the obvious solution is for Chrysler to redesign every vehicle intheir lineup to fix the 4.0.

Agree 100%. Also, the Viper should be powered by an inline 12 cylinder engine that's just two 4.0 engines end on end.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Rhyno posted:

I'm ok with this.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Have any of you guys ever daily driven a Wrangler with the 2.5 4 cylinder?

All the Jeeps I've had have been 4.0's, but I've got only got about $4k to spend on my next project Jeep, and 90% of the ones for sale in that price range have the 2.5.

It'll probably never see anything bigger than 33's, so I'm thinking it might be tolerable with the right gearing. Would buying one of these be a mistake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

a handful of dust posted:

Have any of you guys ever daily driven a Wrangler with the 2.5 4 cylinder?

All the Jeeps I've had have been 4.0's, but I've got only got about $4k to spend on my next project Jeep, and 90% of the ones for sale in that price range have the 2.5.

It'll probably never see anything bigger than 33's, so I'm thinking it might be tolerable with the right gearing. Would buying one of these be a mistake?

The 2.5 is stout, but nearly as thirsty as the 4.0, which really sucks because it's no performer. Jeep also used a 2.4 liter four, which isn't an AMC design. It's a variant of the Dodge Neon engine. It'll likely take to boost very well. Regardless, I'd go with 2.5 liter over the 2.4 because the 2.5 is basically the AMC six with two cylinders lopped off. Meaning if at some point in the future you wish to go to the AMC six, it will mostly just bolt in to your existing drivetrain.

I've seen those AMC 2.5 fours running with 0 oil pressure. Guy who wheels with our club was running one on the trails, 0 oil pressure and chugging along all weekend. He smoked like a bug-fogger everywhere he went and we all thought the motor would die by the end of the day, but 6 months later he was still running the drat thing.