Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I posted my dog Ollie back in July when he was about eight weeks old and 13lbs. He's now seven months old and 48lbs. His back used to be white minus a slight gray streak down the back (black hair underneath). Now he's all kinds of crazy colors. He's also a nut.

Before

After

L-shaped Tetris block

GI_Clutch fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
You definitely have an Australian cattledog mix there, the freckles give it away. Look at Brisbane in the OP, when he was a baby and then grown up. Cattledog puppies start out white and then freckle up as they age. Enjoy your heeler, they're amazing.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Scary Ned posted:

You definitely have an Australian cattledog mix there, the freckles give it away. Look at Brisbane in the OP, when he was a baby and then grown up. Cattledog puppies start out white and then freckle up as they age. Enjoy your heeler, they're amazing.

Nope. Ticking like that isn't uncommon in Aussies either. I definitely see the aforementioned Lab/Aussie in him. He's absolutely gorgeous... and what a face!

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Norwegian Wood posted:

This is Bocca Agador Spartacus:

Click here for the full 900x824 image.

He is 50% labrador, and I am uncertain of the other 50%.

At first I thought it could be rotweiler, but now I`m leaning more towards German Sheperd.

Any thoughts?

My Winston looked JUST like this (except chocolate instead of black) right down to the white blaze. He was supposedly just a farm lab but I've never seen another lab with a white splash on his chest and he was way heavier and stockier than a proper lab with the big bear head and all.

Man this picture brings me back. I miss that dawg. (RIP)

Norwegian Wood
Dec 9, 2006

mistaya posted:

My Winston looked JUST like this (except chocolate instead of black) right down to the white blaze. He was supposedly just a farm lab but I've never seen another lab with a white splash on his chest and he was way heavier and stockier than a proper lab with the big bear head and all.

Man this picture brings me back. I miss that dawg. (RIP)

My condolences. So it was a pure lab, only heavily built? Do you have any old pictures?

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Norwegian Wood posted:

My condolences. So it was a pure lab, only heavily built? Do you have any old pictures?

Show labs are extremely heavily built with huge, blocky heads. I dislike it quite a bit, but some people seem to love it. There is a LOT of variation in how purebred labs look, both because they are extremely popular (and are thus milled and BYB with little regard the for standard) and because there are both field and show types.

Labs with white spots or patches on the chest do show up (as do labs with the brindle points that you see in my pics of Kara), but they also show up in mixed breeds, making it a little difficult to figure out what is and is not a purebred lab based on looks alone.

Norwegian Wood
Dec 9, 2006

Ceridwen posted:

Show labs are extremely heavily built with huge, blocky heads.

Forgive me for my ignorance, but by "Show labs", do you mean labs who participate in competitions?

Little_Dead_Pets
Jul 3, 2006

yeah, she means labs who compete in the "sport" of breed conformation :keke:

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Norwegian Wood posted:

Forgive me for my ignorance, but by "Show labs", do you mean labs who participate in competitions?

Yea, show labs are those used in confirmation showing. They are typically heavily built with big blocky heads. Almost to the point of looking like a mastiff x lab mix.

Here is a dog from a breeder who raises show-type labs: http://www.wigwaglabradors.com/clintspage.htm

(Note: There is not necessarily anything wrong with these dogs. I don't personally like the look, but many do, and a great many dogs of this type continue to perform well at their "job" of being hunting companions)

Though more heavily built than field labs, show labs are typically shorter, as they have to fit within the breed standard, which calls for a max size for males of 24.5" (much less than what many people think of as the average size for a lab). They may weigh 20-40 pounds more than a field bred lab of similar height though.

Field bred labs have shorter coats, finer heads, and lighter bodies. They are typically taller and may not adhere as well to the breed standard. These are dogs that are used for hunting and field trials (basically simulated hunting). My boss owns two that do extremely well (he's been offered more than 10k for one of them) and they look so different from the show type labs it's hard to believe they are considered the same breed.

Here is an example of a breeder who focuses on field type dogs: http://www.highbrasskennels.com/females.htm

Field type dogs are also usually higher energy.

BYB or "pet bred" labs are a clusterfuck, with almost no consistency in temperament, size, coat, color. There are people breeding blue and silver labs (dogs that have weims mixed in a ways back to give them the dilute gene), people breeding labs that are way oversized compared to the standard (both height and weight) and even people purposely breeding for mismarks such as black and tan or brindle labs.

Norwegian Wood
Dec 9, 2006

Ceridwen posted:

Yea, show labs are those used in confirmation showing. They are typically heavily built with big blocky heads. Almost to the point of looking like a mastiff x lab mix.

Here is a dog from a breeder who raises show-type labs: http://www.wigwaglabradors.com/clintspage.htm

(Note: There is not necessarily anything wrong with these dogs. I don't personally like the look, but many do, and a great many dogs of this type continue to perform well at their "job" of being hunting companions)

Though more heavily built than field labs, show labs are typically shorter, as they have to fit within the breed standard, which calls for a max size for males of 24.5" (much less than what many people think of as the average size for a lab). They may weigh 20-40 pounds more than a field bred lab of similar height though.

Field bred labs have shorter coats, finer heads, and lighter bodies. They are typically taller and may not adhere as well to the breed standard. These are dogs that are used for hunting and field trials (basically simulated hunting). My boss owns two that do extremely well (he's been offered more than 10k for one of them) and they look so different from the show type labs it's hard to believe they are considered the same breed.

Here is an example of a breeder who focuses on field type dogs: http://www.highbrasskennels.com/females.htm

Field type dogs are also usually higher energy.

BYB or "pet bred" labs are a clusterfuck, with almost no consistency in temperament, size, coat, color. There are people breeding blue and silver labs (dogs that have weims mixed in a ways back to give them the dilute gene), people breeding labs that are way oversized compared to the standard (both height and weight) and even people purposely breeding for mismarks such as black and tan or brindle labs.

Wow, thanks. That`s very informative. My dog weighs about 90 pounds and also has white markings on each of his paws.

I had no idea there was such variety in labradors. I`ve always thought that I was lucky that he`s not a purebreed, since pure labs often get hip problems and tend to have an irritating appetite (though this is may be wrong, I don`t know). But from what you said, it may be a chance that he is pure.

Thanks for the info. I`ll inform him of his possible roots :)

tsc
Jun 18, 2004
hostis humani generis
Oh god, first day at the beach.

(click all for huge)

With my mom's dogs, one of which is very 'bigger than her' dog aggressive, but loves Tola.

Wet, happy, tired dog. She wasn't too fussed about the water either way, dug a bit, liked saying hi to everyone.

To us, she looks like a lab/border mix..but she has no interest whatsoever in fetch, running, water, other dogs except small or fluffy ones.. The only thing she does that's BC like is stare at everyone constantly, whatever they're doing.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Norwegian Wood posted:

He had papers I think (it was a BYB, not a real breeder though, so other than "It is a lab," I don't think they said anything impressive.) This was my childhood dog and he lived to a ripe old age so no regrets really. :)

I didn't know show labs had gotten so stocky, that black one in the link just looks odd.

/end derail. More adorable mutts!

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Hello from Angus, my rescue mutt. He's probably 1 1/2 years.

His papers say Cocker-Poodle but that's bullshit. I'm willing to say there's some kind of terrier in there. Any ideas?

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
Any ideas on my parents' dog Rusty? It's obvious that he's at least part Golden, but we don't know about the rest. Current theory is that he's part Chow, but I'm really not sure about that. Sorry that this was the best body shot I could get of him. He recently went under the knife for skin growth removal, which is why the towel/duct-tape scarf.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

FeloniousDrunk posted:

(Really cute black boy)

His papers say Cocker-Poodle but that's bullshit. I'm willing to say there's some kind of terrier in there. Any ideas?

I'm throwing out scottish terrier and long haired dachshund.

Gumby: Golden and.. collie, maybe? There's so much retriever in there, though, it's hard to guess.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Gumby posted:

This picture screams Golden/Duck Toller to me.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000

a life less posted:

Holy poo poo. I'd never heard of that breed before, but the pictures I'm seeing on the internet really seem to confirm this. Thanks.

Rusty says thanks too.

Little_Dead_Pets
Jul 3, 2006

Gumby posted:

dunno, he looks like a byb golden to me :ssh:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
This is my girlfriend's dog Shamus she got from a shelter in NJ a few months ago. He's 2 and thought to be a Silky Terrier Shih Tzu mix.

and awful video I made of him: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tDBUbDe0x8

Edit:

TheOriginalEd posted:

For a second I thought that outfit was a tallit, which immediately prompted me to go to google image search and type in "Dog bar mitzvah"

davebo fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 31, 2009

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
This is Emma, some mix of Shiba, Sheltie, and maybe others. She makes all the Shiba noises.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

a life less posted:

Toller is really unlikely to pop up in a random mix though given the rarity of the breed.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000

Sekhmet posted:

Toller is really unlikely to pop up in a random mix though given the rarity of the breed.
I did notice that myself while looking it up. It'd be odd that such a rare breed would have made it all the way to Alaska, and given the awful life Rusty started out with (owned by a guy who lived out in the middle of nowhere, abused his dogs, and had named Rusty "Cujo" before my parents rescued him from the shelter), it's even more doubtful. Yet after looking at the photos of Duck Tollers, he's a dead ringer for most of them. Temperament-wise he fits the Toller write-up, but his standoffishness with strangers can easily be explained by his lovely past.

In any case, I'll consider him an honorary Duck Toller, because it sounds like they've had happier lives than Rusty started out with.

Camembert
Feb 9, 2007
I like cheese.

Gumby posted:

In any case, I'll consider him an honorary Duck Toller, because it sounds like they've had happier lives than Rusty started out with.

I'm from Nova Scotia and have seen lots of Tollers, and I'm afraid your dog doesn't look to have any in him. Golden Retrievers were likely used in the development of the breed though, so I can see how they would look similar. Be thankful he's not a Toller--they're the neurotic Border Collies of the retrieving world. He's definitely cute though, and obviously much better off for having found you, regardless of his makeup. :)

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
e

FireWhizzle fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 4, 2023

my dog boyfriend!!
Nov 21, 2008

Click here for the full 604x453 image.

My sister and her husband's new puppy, Emory. Born from a German Shepherd-mysteryhound mix and a pit bull-mysteryanimal mix. She's going to be a big drooling retard :3: And the only reason I'm posting it is because I want to steal this loving dog right out from under her nose I am so jealous

LOOK AT HER

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

I love my mutts!

First..

TRENDY WENDY WRINKLESPRITZ (aka Gwendolyn when she's in trouble )
We know for a fact that she's half Jack Russell. We assume the second half is Corgi, but we're not sure. Somebody should figure out what she is and make it a new breed, as she's awesome.

Cassanova Franklinstein, who we really just call FRANKLIN
His mother is part boxer, and that's all we know. He's simply adorable and always looks sad. He's got crazy amounts of extra skin and when he wags his tail he shakes his whole butt. He's a clumsy oaf.

I have to say, I'm not sure what the point of getting purebred dogs, with the potential health problems and the insane cost when you can go to the shelter, get a mutt and get the best, most unique dog ever.

edit: just realized you can totally see where he totally ripped off the bottom 'skirt' of the couch. the bastard.

Roydrowsy fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 5, 2010

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Roydrowsy posted:

I have to say, I'm not sure what the point of getting purebred dogs, with the potential health problems and the insane cost when you can go to the shelter, get a mutt and get the best, most unique dog ever.
Not true about the health problems if you do your research and get your dog from a good breeder. Mutts can have all the same problems as poorly bred purebreeds. Some people love certain breeds very much and I can't fault them for that. :shobon:

I love me some weirdo shelter dogs though. Franklin has a pittie look to him, I think it's the wrinkled forehead. :3:

Octoduck
Feb 8, 2006

Rudy had heart,
but he still sucked.

Kerfuffle posted:

Not true about the health problems if you do your research and get your dog from a good breeder. Mutts can have all the same problems as poorly bred purebreeds. Some people love certain breeds very much and I can't fault them for that. :shobon:

I love me some weirdo shelter dogs though. Franklin has a pittie look to him, I think it's the wrinkled forehead. :3:

Also I payed less for my pure bred Shepherd than my shelter pup.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
I want more mutt pictures, so I'll bump with Lucky Dog, my roommate's Beagle/Pointer(?) mix. He likes long walks, making new friends, and eating everything in sight. He is normally goofy as hell, but he hates cameras, so most pictures of him are when he is sleepy.

rawrtards
Jan 13, 2010

Beans is a supposed Shar Pei/ Terrier Mix. My boyfriend's neighbor's kid thought that he was a "Chinese Fighting Dog." Still makes me laugh, because I just see his head on a Beta's body. But, he normally looks very noble, however, in the reindeer costume I think he only felt shame.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

This is Tess. Obviously she's got a bit of Pomeranian in her, but what else do you reckon? I've heard Papillon and American Eskimo in the past, but I don't know...

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

This is Clint. I'm guessing he's Lab/Chesapeake Retriever/Pit. What do you think?

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

I'm not sure about the others but I can definitely see the Chessie in there (my mom was a Chessie nut). Does he have the pretty yellow Chesapeake eyes? I can't tell from the pic. Chessies have a bigass head too so there might not be any pit, just Chesapeake/lab...

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Longpig posted:

I'm not sure about the others but I can definitely see the Chessie in there (my mom was a Chessie nut). Does he have the pretty yellow Chesapeake eyes? I can't tell from the pic. Chessies have a bigass head too so there might not be any pit, just Chesapeake/lab...

Yep, yellow eyes. I think you can see them in the second image fairly well.

Here he is reading the funny pages with his grandpa. Obviously, he spends quite a bit of time on the couch.

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Yeah I *thought* they looked yellow but wasn't sure if it might be the light shining through them in a weird way. What a handsome boy. :3:

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

This is Nova! I got her last May from a really ghetto part of town from a Craigslist ad. When I came to see her, they yelled at her and hit her more than once. Needless to say I said I'd take her right away and thus brought her home. She still cowers sometimes and is scared of loud things but she's gotten so much better!

I was told she was chihuahua but I'm positive there is SOMETHING else in her.

i love when her ears go to the sides of her head :3:

She even has a little mohawk!

Nova & Doomhammer getting along

sorry about the picture love fest, I just can't help it! :3:

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

Norse Code posted:

sorry about the picture love fest, I just can't help it! :3:

Can't blame you, she's a doll! She might have something terrier-y in her with the wirey hair, but I have no idea what is permissible in the chihuahua breed.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010
Meet Chelsea Dagger! According to the rescue, her mother was a purebred Afghan Hound and her father was...something. I think there might be some pointer in there, since she often points at things, has a HUGE bird fixation, and (although it doesn't show up in pictures well) has spots on her chest similar to those I've seen on a lot of pointers and pointer mixes.

She is queen of the couch.

Her noble profile (complete with silly beard).

This is the best body-shot I have of her. We were visiting my mom for Christmas, and the cats kept her under constant surveillance.

Thanks to her noble heritage, she is extremely dignified.

soap.
Jul 15, 2007

Her?

FeloniousDrunk posted:

I can't believe no one suggested Skye terrier yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mexi
Mar 17, 2003

Time to call it a night.

She's part border collie, part beagle, and part kitty cat.