Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma
It better be Planescape or they can gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

It better be Planescape or they can gently caress off.
Will unironically cry IRL if it's not. Been wanting to get this for a long time now, and I'm not willing to pay some stupidly high price for it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Honest Thief posted:

Maybe EA is finally releasing all the titles it got when ate up Bullfrog, Origin, etc....
This is my wish. I would buy/rebuy almost everything.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

teethgrinder posted:

This is my wish. I would buy/rebuy almost everything.

Oh man, I remember when I got Syndicate when I was 15, it was bundled with my first CD-ROM (double speed!) and Soundblaster 16 card. I loved that game to bits. I'd rebuy Syndicate fully GoG-ready in a heartbeat.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Maybe it's Battlecruiser 3000AD :v:

Seriously though, I hope it's Planescape.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Woebin posted:

Maybe it's Battlecruiser 3000AD :v:

Seriously though, I hope it's Planescape.

or the System Shock games.

vv
there's an import rerelease on gogamer.com which is around 20-30 USD I think.

GoldenNugget fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 22, 2010

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

BigJoe posted:

Will unironically cry IRL if it's not. Been wanting to get this for a long time now, and I'm not willing to pay some stupidly high price for it.

You can get a new copy on ebay for 25-30$ Canadian. There was a reprint a few months back.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Perfect Potato posted:

You can get a new copy on ebay for 25-30$ Canadian. There was a reprint a few months back.

It's UK-only and £20/$30 for some absurd reason (as in, amazon.co.uk/GAME/etc. will not ship it outside the UK, though I'm sure you can find an import copy).

I doubt we'll get Torment because they probably want to milk that £20 pricepoint for as much as they can and nothing on GOG goes above £7.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!

GoldenNugget posted:

or the System Shock games.

PLEASE be this.
Oh how I want those two, where I can just install them with no hassle on Windows 7 and just play.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
I made a thread about Planescape here. It's gotten alot cheaper, you can get it for around €10 or $20 from US outlets. Definitely worth it at that price, the game is still unique and with a few mods and tweaking, still looks quite good.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

SereneCrimson posted:

PLEASE be this.
Oh how I want those two, where I can just install them with no hassle on Windows 7 and just play.

I'm not sure if this is considered :files: or not, but there is a configured System Shock 1 floating around that has dosbox and works almost perfectly. It also has high resolutions and I think it works fine on vista.

I'll post it if it's alright.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Honest Thief posted:

Maybe EA is finally releasing all the titles it got when ate up Bullfrog, Origin, etc....

c'mon dungeon keeper....

Goddamn do I regret losing that game.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Honest Thief posted:

Oh God thisthisthis

Wouldn't bee too surprised if it's Lucasarts, though.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
So, I've never touched any Myst(-like) game at all, but I'm kind of curious what the hype is/was all about now. Which games and in which order should I play to get the "most" out of it? Real Myst, Riven and Uru? How long are the games in general by the way?

Edit: Obligatory guess at what the big GOG surprise will be: Morrowind

Edit2: V V V Or this! I lost LBA2 and I'm afraid to put my age-old LBA 1 CD in my computer and attempt to play this brutal game again. I don't know how I finished this back then.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 23, 2010

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
If it's EA, I hope we get the Little Big Adventure series.

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
I'm hoping for Theme Hospital. I never finished the drat thing but it was a hell of a lot of fun (and the multiplayer was pretty fun for tycoon style games)

But I honestly wouldn't mind Planescape I suppose (I haven't played it yet)

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I'm really hoping for Jazz Jackrabbit and Halloween Harry. I played the poo poo out of those games. Of course they'd put a big timer up on the site for them :unsmith:

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

FLX posted:

So, I've never touched any Myst(-like) game at all, but I'm kind of curious what the hype is/was all about now. Which games and in which order should I play to get the "most" out of it? Real Myst, Riven and Uru? How long are the games in general by the way?

Edit2: V V V Or this! I lost LBA2 and I'm afraid to put my age-old LBA 1 CD in my computer and attempt to play this brutal game again. I don't know how I finished this back then.
Myst and Riven are both the best, but you'd want to play Myst first. It's a lot easier to get your mind wrapped around and it's shorter. You can beat the games in a few hours if you know what you're doing, but in reality the puzzles can be hard so it's unpredictable how long it will take you.

Real Myst is just Myst with realtime 3d graphics (the original is entirely prerendered) I haven't played Real Myst myself but I've heard both positive and negative opinions about it compared to the original. Everything in the game is the same though, except it apparently has a bonus level.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

FLX posted:

The original two are Myst and Riven, and should be played in that order. After that the original developers fell out with each other and a new company picked up the franchise and made Myst III, IV and V, plus Uru.

Basically play (Real-)Myst first; if you don't like that you won't like any of the others. If you like that game then try Riven, then maybe look at Myst III and IV (though these aren't available on GoG yet). Myst V is a piece of poo poo and you really shouldn't play it.

I can't really comment on Uru since I never played it. It's kind of an odd one - an online game with some offline content that was never all that popular. It's only tangentially related to the main Myst storyline.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

FLX posted:

Riven takes place after Myst so you have to play Myst or RealMyst before you play Riven. I have never played Uru so I don't know. Though I would assume that it would be a good idea to play Myst before hand

RealMyst is a 3D version of Myst that has a bonus age that you do not need to play. The original Myst is 2D still images with FMV scenes. I haven't played too much of RealMyst (I only played the bonus age a few years ago on GameTap) but it is gorgeous, although Myst still looks fairly good despite its age.

Myst is actually pretty short once you figure out the puzzles. Although some of the sound puzzles can be frustrating however. (The Maze, anyone whose played will know what I am talking about)

I haven't played much of Riven either but from what I have heard the world is much larger and the puzzles are more involved. And like Myst, still looks good after all this time.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

raezr posted:

Real Myst is just Myst with realtime 3d graphics (the original is entirely prerendered) I haven't played Real Myst myself but I've heard both positive and negative opinions about it compared to the original. Everything in the game is the same though, except it apparently has a bonus level.

Personally, I prefer RealMYST, but nobody should let the "bonus level" be the deciding factor between that and classic MYST. It's more of an extra room jammed into the game than a real extra Age.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Kreeblah posted:

Personally, I prefer RealMYST, but nobody should let the "bonus level" be the deciding factor between that and classic MYST. It's more of an extra room jammed into the game than a real extra Age.
It is very pretty, though.

Actually, I found the whole realMYST experience very relaxing. The atmospheric sound and environments were something you couldn't find in other games at the time.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

OptimusShr posted:

Myst is actually pretty short once you figure out the puzzles. Although some of the sound puzzles can be frustrating however. (The Maze, anyone whose played will know what I am talking about)

Oh, that reminds me. Only look at this when you start unlocking other places, but the rocket ship area has a puzzle that is much easier if you've done the gear area first.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

FLX posted:

Morrowind is on Steam, so there's no reason for it to be released on GoG outside of competition. And since it's $20 on steam, I doubt they're going to sell it on GoG.

Whalley posted:

I'm really hoping for Jazz Jackrabbit and Halloween Harry. I played the poo poo out of those games. Of course they'd put a big timer up on the site for them :unsmith:

Halloween Harry is freeware at this point. It might go by a different name though. I'm less certain of Jazz Jackrabbit's status.

Me, I'm hoping for the old Bullfrog games (getting a working copy of Dungeon Keeper 2 would be amazing, since it doesn't like Windows XP for me), the old Maxis games (the stuff released before The Sims took over Maxis' team was great), or something like the first two thief games, or any other game that's nearly impossible to find these days.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

flatluigi posted:

Oh, that reminds me. Only look at this when you start unlocking other places, but the rocket ship area has a puzzle that is much easier if you've done the gear area first.

What's in the Mechanical Age that makes the Selentic Age easier?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The PS:Torment re-release is, at least according to John Walker of Rock Paper Shotgun, a mystery to everyone who might actually own the rights.

So it might just be someone flogging it on Amazon trying to make money before anyone notices what they're doing. And if they are? loving awesome stuff.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Thanks for the replies concerning Myst! I guess I'll go with realMYST then, because it's probably more accessible due to the free movement aspect.

EDIT: Aw screw that. I'll be hardcore and go with the original MYST + RIVEN for $3 less (or actually $2.98 more than just realMYST v:shobon:v) with the current weekend promo.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 23, 2010

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

DoctorTristan posted:

The original two are Myst and Riven, and should be played in that order. After that the original developers fell out with each other and a new company picked up the franchise and made Myst III, IV and V, plus Uru.
A company called Presto Studios made Myst III, Ubisoft Paris made Myst IV, Myst V and Uru were made by the original developer, Cyan Worlds.

Oh, and I liked Myst V. :colbert:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Im still waiting for them to add all of the classic Tomb Raider games. The Pc version are miles better than the console versions.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Uru is a beautiful game but the controls are absolute garbage. Imagine playing the early Tomb Raider games except instead of Lara moving in predictable 5' squares every time you press forward making environment interaction easy, your avatar has to be situated perfectly to interact with an object and the camera doesn't know what the gently caress to do.

Thankfully you can play it in 1st person mode which doesn't have the retarded camera but to interact with most objects requires you to switch back to third and properly "position" yourself in the exact pixel perfect location to look through a para-scope or pull a lever.

But I cannot stress enough the beauty and attention to detail. Myst as a whole has the most unique and interesting world in video games and Uru jacked up the production values ten-fold. It's just a shame the programming department was apparently made up of one guy who was completely burned out when the multiplayer aspect was cut.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

OptimusShr posted:

What's in the Mechanical Age that makes the Selentic Age easier?

The sounds in the maze come from the sounds attributed to the different directions you can turn the thing on top of the elevator . Details are slightly fuzzy; I haven't played the games in a long time.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Has anyone played Real Myst without having played regular Myst? One thing I've wondered is if the puzzles are any harder since you're able to look at anything from any angle, and originally the game restricted you to only viewing specific things from optimal angles.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

AG3 posted:

Maybe I'm just severely dyslexic, but to me it seems to say "Expect the unexcelled" :v: . I wonder what they could possibly have that could (for me) top the Fallout games as far as excellence goes, while still being considered "old" (not that they've been too focused on that aspect with some of the titles)

Did they do much to the fallout games to improve their playability? I probably haven't fired up my originals in a couple of years, but I recall they had mods and whatnot out there to help them play better at higher rez and whatnot. Tell me about the Fallout updates please.

PS: Psychonauts was the most awesome loving game.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

SneakySneaks posted:

The background of the timer reminds me of the Jedi Knight box art, so who knows maybe they have struck a deal with Lucas Arts.

Oh god OUTLAWS!

Hey, has anyone got any guess that specifically ties into the wording? Unexcelled is an odd word to throw out there.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

glug posted:

Oh god OUTLAWS!

Hey, has anyone got any guess that specifically ties into the wording? Unexcelled is an odd word to throw out there.

Oh god. They're going to branch out into Good Old Applications and will release Lotus 1-2-3! Which is un-Excel-ed!

(Stop hitting me!)

Weedle
May 31, 2006

They're selling the easter egg from Excel 97 where you could fly around the purple mountains and poo poo

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I hope to god its Encarta '97

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rabhadh posted:

I hope to god its Encarta '97

I would buy MindMaze if they sold it as its own product

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

I finished MYST:ME in one session just now, without the need to consult hints/walkthroughs :woop: Looks like playing Professor Layton was a good training. Unknowingly, I did the spaceship/desert world first, so when I finished the maze I was still motivated. The only other part that dragged on a little too much in my opinion was the tree-world, because I never knew where I was since all the huts looked the same to me, so finding that small switch took me forever. All in all I enjoyed the game a lot though and got immersed really fast, even though the writing and acting in the live-action scenes was ... well, quite horrible at times :D

Gonna start Riven tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

glug posted:

Did they do much to the fallout games to improve their playability? I probably haven't fired up my originals in a couple of years, but I recall they had mods and whatnot out there to help them play better at higher rez and whatnot. Tell me about the Fallout updates please.

PS: Psychonauts was the most awesome loving game.

I'm not sure if GoG did much with the Fallout games, although I recall a couple of decent (some would say essential) fan patches that fixed various bugs with the games. While I bought both Fallout games from GoG, I haven't actually played them since I kinda played them both to death with the originals.