Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Snopes says the story that wasn't real, though I don't know whether they mean the story or the actual offer. Doesn't really explain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Not to derail too much, but I've flown a bunch through USAF ROTC and ride, and riding is more fun. Flying, even in a high-performance aircraft, is a highly controlled affair and you simply can't do whatever you'd like. Bikes have the appeal of being able to just go and explore where you'd like on a moment's notice. Also, you can't show off how cool you are when nobody can see you 10,000 feet up.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Oh I think I'd deal with that highly controlled bit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me3kl2kXe6c

Then after the military career is over, chase the PTSD demons down the river.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXO16bTySHQ

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Those are fine and all, but one day I'm going to build one of these crazy bastards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK9g0P1RsVg

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I'll stick with the BD-5

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Why would you want to get in a plane when you're able to learn how to fly this? :confused:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr_CJL1YQRc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBnGD4zHIE4&NR=1
Edit: hah! this is the what you did to your ride thread.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
I scrubbed my bikes back (fairings) in the shower today :3:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Sold it...sold the 1987 Suzuki DS100 to make room for the 1997 KDX200 I am picking up tomorrow afternoon.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
I got my bike out the other morning because both my trucks were having electrical trouble and were unable to get me to work. The roads had been dry for a week so I figured I'd brave the cold. Just as I went to leave a snow squall moved in and I called a friend for a ride. When we were headed out on the road we passed several cars and trucks in ditches and there was 3" of snow just south of me. So I got my bike out, put it right back away and almost died on it. I hate winter :(

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS

Z3n posted:

Those are fine and all, but one day I'm going to build one of these crazy bastards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK9g0P1RsVg

Please research Power Pushovers before you get one. :ohdear: Thats what stopped me from getting a pusher type gyrocopter. Check out the Little Wing for a safer, albeit larger alternative.
http://www.littlewingautogyro.com/

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

N183CS posted:

Please research Power Pushovers before you get one. :ohdear: Thats what stopped me from getting a pusher type gyrocopter. Check out the Little Wing for a safer, albeit larger alternative.
http://www.littlewingautogyro.com/

I think that, like with motorcycles, auto-gyros can be made very safe with proper pilot training. If you fly them like a fixed-wing, yeah you'll probably die, but as long as you know their quirks and work with them, they're not more dangerous then other light aircraft.

Tsaven Nava fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 23, 2010

EvilDonald
Aug 30, 2002

I'm the urban spaceman, baby.

KARMA! posted:

Why would you want to get in a plane when you're able to learn how to fly this? :confused:

Helicopters don't fly, they beat gravity into submission. You never meet a happy helicopter pilot. Fixed wing pilots are generally a cheerful bunch, they get to spend their days merrily tooling around in a plane that just wants to be in the air, but flingwing pilots walk around with the sour glare of a man who has to wrestle a machine designed to kill him.

Anyway.

I took the lowering lnks out of the KLR, adjusted the chain and smashed my finger.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Helicopters don't fly, they're so ugly the ground repels them.

Anyway, today I ignored my bike for about the 162nd day in a row. It's hard to find time to work on it and it's impossible in this cold weather anyway. Better days, please come soon.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Partially disassembled the KDX to check on some stuff and see how it is put together. If it wasn't raining like crazy I would be out playing...drat rain.

Rode up and down the street a bit last night before the rain started. Yay 2 smoke at 9pm.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Got my bike insured in the anticipation of riding it soon! $21/month which is cheap as poo poo compared to what I thought I'd be paying since I'm under 25.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
-

an actual frog fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 24, 2020

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
Started up the ninjette for the first time in quite a while. It didn't want to idle with the choke off and didn't want to take any throttle, so I figured setting for most of 6 months had left the carbs a mess. I pulled them, opened them up, and they look pretty darn clean. Not sure what's up with that, so I put them back together and they're waiting to be reunited with the air box and the engine.

Also blugu64 took his transalp home after garaging it here for a few weeks. I followed him in my car so I could give him a ride back to his car. Glad to see the TA getting some road time, even if its running pretty poorly at the moment.

The KLR got taken out long enough to get out of the way so I had room to work on the ninjette. It fired right up and was happy as a clam, as always.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Could you see through the pilots?

Also, 6 month old gas isn't going to be good for much.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
Yeah, the pilots looked fine. There was a bit of gunk near the pilot circuit outlet on one carb. It has been removed.

I just had a sudden burst of productivity and put the carbs back on. I hooked up the gas tank and battery long enough to fire it up, and it started no problem. I'll see how it behaves without choke tomorrow, when I won't be annoying the neighbors.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Claybar'd the rear fairings on the SV650 in the tub. Need to figure out a way to best to the gas tank, headlight mini-fairing, and front fender thing next.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Shower
Bathtub

Do you have a Jacuzzi?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Went out to the garage to clean the carbs. Got it apart and the carbs off, walk inside to get my shiny new can of carb cleaner, only to realize I locked myself out. Put bike back together and waited for the roommate to get home. :bang:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

Claybar'd the rear fairings on the SV650 in the tub. Need to figure out a way to best to the gas tank, headlight mini-fairing, and front fender thing next.

Why do you need to do them in the tub?

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
Got the ninjette all back together. It seems to idle better, and I rode it around a little.

Next up on my list of stuff is some electrical work. I started to get things done, but I'm a little puzzled at what's going on. That's more a thing for the questions thread, though.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Finally got my 1995 KLR650 fixed up enough to ride it around the block a few times. I noticed that sometimes the engine would stutter, as though the engine got snagged on something for a split second then went back up the regular idle RPM. Only seemed to happen at idle and when clutch is disengaged. I can see the RPM plummet very low when this happens. Happens both when cold and warmed up.

Any idea what it is?

note: I changed my username from buildmyrigdotcom if anyone's been following my KLR progress; old username was dumb.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 26, 2010

EvilDonald
Aug 30, 2002

hayden. posted:

Any idea what it is?

Old cruddy fuel. Little engine, little carburetor, little idle jet, little bits of crud mess with it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

hayden. posted:

Finally got my 1995 KLR650 fixed up enough to ride it around the block a few times. I noticed that sometimes the engine would stutter, as though the engine got snagged on something for a split second then went back up the regular idle RPM. Only seemed to happen at idle and when clutch is disengaged. I can see the RPM plummet very low when this happens. Happens both when cold and warmed up.

Any idea what it is?

note: I changed my username from buildmyrigdotcom if anyone's been following my KLR progressive; old username was dumb.

I agree with cruddy fuel, if you haven't already run some through it. I'd seafoam your next tank, that'll probably help clear out any remaining crap floating around.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

The gas in there is old, no doubt. I'm glad to hear it's something that simple. It's mostly empty so I'll fill it up and hopefully it'll dilute the bad gas. I'll also seafoam it. Thanks guys, that's a worry off my back.

edit: What did you do to your ride today?

RODE IT :parrot:

Got the chain adjusted finally and scooted around downtown and on some backroads. Even found a few open areas of land to take it offroad and mess around. First time I've put more than a mile on it at once. New gas seemed to help a lot and everything worked pretty drat well. I even got the speedo and blinkers working. It's been a long, difficult, frustrating road - but I'm back on a bike finally.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 26, 2010

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

I'm cleaning my carbs (again)! This time without locking myself out of the house (with carb cleaner inside)!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Rode it to work and home. Temperature was a not-so-cold 38 degrees Fahrenheit. Ordered a Jardine aluminum slip-on, should have that on early next week, depending when they get it to me.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
Handed off my gauge pod circuit board to have the three switches re-soldered by an EE friend-of-a-friend. Here's hoping it all goes smoothly.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Fantastipotamus posted:

Handed off my gauge pod circuit board to have the three switches re-soldered by an EE friend-of-a-friend. Here's hoping it all goes smoothly.

Why?

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

The function/trip/reset buttons on my gauge pod were flaking out/non-functional, which is apparently a semi-common problem on some Triumphs. Basically, moisture gets inside the housing, and because those buttons are located at the lowest point of the gauge pod, the moisture affects them the most. Sure enough, when I pulled the pod apart, all three of the little switches had that white/blue corrosion that batteries get. There's also a couple hairline fractures in the housing plastic, which I'm probably going to try to epoxy closed. The gauge pod is $1200 from Triumph, and would screw my mileage all up because it can't be transferred, and this was, quite literally, a $10 fix.

On the S3 forums a guy told us where to get replacement switches (for like $2 each) and he said they fit perfectly.

Apparently it's done already, and I'm getting it tomorrow. :)

EvilDonald
Aug 30, 2002

Fantastipotamus posted:

The function/trip/reset buttons on my gauge pod were flaking out/non-functional, which is apparently a semi-common problem on some Triumphs. Basically, moisture gets inside the housing, and because those buttons are located at the lowest point of the gauge pod, the moisture affects them the most.

maybe look at drilling a little hole down there to let any moisture drain out, and potting the switches in some clear RTV.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

EvilDonald posted:

maybe look at drilling a little hole down there to let any moisture drain out, and potting the switches in some clear RTV.
Hmm.. this is quite a good idea, thanks. I'll probably do at least the RTV, and I may try to button the housing up better before drilling holes and see what happens. I don't ride in the rain much, but I'd rather not have the circuit board open to the outside any more than I have to.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

What's the best thing for filling in small dents in my gas tank? Bondo? The dents look like someone stabbed it when a pen or something; they're very small.

What about scratches on the engine covers? I was thinking maybe JB weld since I didn't know if bondo worked in high temp areas.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Replaced both oil filters, cleaned both oil screens, and put in a 1.7L of 10w-50.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

To illustrate a bit what I was talking about, here are a couple pictures. The three 'buttons' are on the bottom of the circuit board, which also happens to be the lowest point in the case, so naturally thats where the water sits.

The thing that leads to the water getting in are the cracks on the cover in the second picture. The one below the gas light is the bigger of the two, and it goes right down the side, which is annoying, because I can't epoxy the inside of it, because of how it fits into the lower half. I'll probably find some clear-drying epoxy and do it over the outside. The one closer to the display window can be sealed from the inside, though daylight is visible through that one as well. I'm actually kind of glad I can't ride right now, otherwise I'd probably rush through this.

It's also distinctly possible this bike just sat outside in the elements prior to me getting it, judging from the rust on the chain, which might have led to this little corrosion problem. It's also possible that since I always cover my bikes it wouldn't be another problem even if I didn't seal up the cracks, but for peace of mind, I'm going to anyway. Small problem, big :words:-y explanation.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS
Sold the nightmare, and actually sold it to one of the brew team people from my favorite local brewery.

Looking for an XR650 now. I'm ready for the pig.