Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deeznuts
Aug 19, 2004

The X-15 Cruise Basselope
My daily driver is a boring but reliable black 2006 Mazda3.

My not boring car is a 1968 Chevelle SS 396. Still a work in progress, but she runs great. Here's a crappy cellphone pic after a fresh wash and wax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabrini-Green Tea
Aug 20, 2009

wheel in the sky keeps on turnin'

deeznuts posted:

My not boring car is a 1968 Chevelle SS 396. Still a work in progress, but she runs great. Here's a crappy cellphone pic after a fresh wash and wax:

That's a fantastic muscle car you got there.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

deeznuts posted:

If it's a work in progress, there better be a thread on it next time you do something to it, mister. :colbert:

ShaunO
Jan 29, 2006

Took a new vid now that my RB30DET Silvia has a resonator in the exhaust and no longer has tons of leaks. Nice and quiet now with a lot more smoothness to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucblwcQskQc&fmt=18

Harreh
Nov 10, 2009

sacre posted:

Have you come across the australian mr2 forum? I used to post on there when I had my sw20, lots of good info there.

Sure have, been out with them once or twice and have had a few private drives with some of the other members, top bunch of guys.

I'm also quite active on toymods

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Taking a guess here, but NSW plates and an N/A swap would lead towards the previous owner being a P-plater, which means no turbos, SCs, V8s, or fast sixes. Presumably they just picked up a cheap NA motor, swapped it in with the intention of putting the blown one back in once they got a full licence.

Correct, as said I've got big plans for the new engine which I'm currently in the midst of getting parts ready. Blocks sitting in my garage and I'm keen to get started

I'll likely put a build thread up here and umpteen many other forums once I get the serious work started

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Holden commodore VZ ute! Bought two months ago - love that P plating style right?

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

abigserve posted:

Holden commodore VZ ute! Bought two months ago - love that P plating style right?

That is so loving hot.

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi

abigserve posted:

Despite being mostly in the Ford camp right now, I still really like the look of the VZs, much more than the VE.

Does the ACT have the same restrictions on P platers as NSW?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

abigserve posted:

Ah, a P plater in a Commodore Ute. Perfect cop magnet.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

You Am I posted:

Seriously, enjoy getting pulled over by every cop that sees you.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

You Am I posted:

I HATE CARS posted:

Seriously, enjoy getting pulled over by every cop that sees you.

Can someone explain this to a US goon?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Can someone explain this to a US goon?

P plater is a decal that must be attached when a Probationary license (aka young), drives the vehicle. Some can't be driven by "P Platers," such as v8s and such.

A Commodore Ute is a GM car in Australia, think El Camino but years and years newer.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Baby Hitler posted:

P plater is a decal that must be attached when a Probationary license (aka young), drives the vehicle. Some can't be driven by "P Platers," such as v8s and such.

A Commodore Ute is a GM car in Australia, think El Camino but years and years newer.

Yeah, quite familiar with Utes, just didn't get that whole P plate thing. Thanks for the heads up. :)

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

i am a black female myself and i am not good of can't sporting another black person who doesn't look black,like other brothas and sistas
Basically the red P on his car indicates he is on a provisional license (17-20 years old) and the Commodore/Falcon cars being cheap, powerful and RWD are fairly popular among hoons.

Young driver + Fast car = police attention

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Gabby_Jay posted:

Despite being mostly in the Ford camp right now, I still really like the look of the VZs, much more than the VE.

Does the ACT have the same restrictions on P platers as NSW?

No. It's glorious. No speed restrictions, no power restrictions, no passenger restrictions. And after 6 months, you can go do some bullshit safety course (i.e sit in a room for a couple of hours and get told how speeding etc etc is bad) and then you don't have to show your P-plates and get another 4 demerit points to blow.

Also, since the ACT uses the mobile speed camera vans, the police don't bother with traffic patrolling.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Baby Hitler posted:

Plus being a Commodore adds to the attraction to the cops. Most hoons drive Commodores. So it's like doubling your points for getting pulled over.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
bros I never get pulled over cause my 8 cylinders are so hella flush no cop shop gonna catch me

tofufish
Jan 3, 2007
:D

2ndclasscitizen posted:

No. It's glorious. No speed restrictions, no power restrictions, no passenger restrictions. And after 6 months, you can go do some bullshit safety course (i.e sit in a room for a couple of hours and get told how speeding etc etc is bad) and then you don't have to show your P-plates and get another 4 demerit points to blow.

Also, since the ACT uses the mobile speed camera vans, the police don't bother with traffic patrolling.

QLD sucks in comparison, thats all I can say.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

You Am I posted:

Most hoons drive Commodores. So it's like doubling your points for getting pulled over.

Probably because commodores are much more popular than falcons in general

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Just keep an eye out for unmarked police around the ACT. Obviously since they are unmarked its kinda hard.
In the last month, I have seen more people pulled over by a single unmarked Camry than I have seen cruisers.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

-Spiffy- posted:

Just keep an eye out for unmarked police around the ACT. Obviously since they are unmarked its kinda hard.
In the last month, I have seen more people pulled over by a single unmarked Camry than I have seen cruisers.

How does this work, anyhow? I know I would be uneasy as hell to pull over for some generic car just because it has some flashy lights. Stories about people taking advantage of other people by using fake police uniforms could easily be extended to any car, just stick in some flashy blue and red LEDs.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Raluek posted:

How does this work, anyhow? I know I would be uneasy as hell to pull over for some generic car just because it has some flashy lights. Stories about people taking advantage of other people by using fake police uniforms could easily be extended to any car, just stick in some flashy blue and red LEDs.

Always ask for identification if you stop. Or you can acknowledge them, and then drive on until you find somewhere you feel safer stopping, even drive to the nearest cop shop.

grnberet2b
Aug 12, 2008

2ndclasscitizen posted:

even drive to the nearest cop shop.

I would suspect you'd meet a couple of marked cruisers before you made it there. At least, that would be what I would anticipate in my area.

accepted practice(source #2) seems to be - Call 911, tell them an unmarked car has signaled you to stop, and you would like to verify that this is a legitimate unmarked car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

grnberet2b posted:

I would suspect you'd meet a couple of marked cruisers before you made it there. At least, that would be what I would anticipate in my area.

accepted practice(source #2) seems to be - Call 911, tell them an unmarked car has signaled you to stop, and you would like to verify that this is a legitimate unmarked car.
I was told in driver's ed to put my four-ways on, indicating that I acknowledge the police officer, and then stop wherever I feel is safest. It's one of those squishy human interactions where you have to maintain a certain degree of trust - obviously, don't put on the hazards and then light it up going around a corner.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I was told in driver's ed to put my four-ways on, indicating that I acknowledge the police officer, and then stop wherever I feel is safest. It's one of those squishy human interactions where you have to maintain a certain degree of trust - obviously, don't put on the hazards and then light it up going around a corner.

I always try to do this, but every so often they'll get on the loudspeaker and yell at you to just pull over immediately. I really don't want some cop ramming my car, so there isn't a whole lot you can do if this happens.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

My new car.

No front shot because I wasn't forward thinking enough to take one.

2001 Volvo S60 2.0 T S automatic. Very happy with it so far. I'd have preferred one that wasn't red, but I was fortunate enough to not be paying and this one was cheapest. And the colour is growing on me.

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange
I've now spent a week with this clattery vixen.

And I've never been happier.

2005 Golf GLS TDI with a BEW engine and all the goodies.

I'll need to do a timing belt change in the near future, but I think I got it for a nice price.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Commodore 64 posted:

I've now spent a week with this clattery vixen.

And I've never been happier.

2005 Golf GLS TDI with a BEW engine and all the goodies.

I'll need to do a timing belt change in the near future, but I think I got it for a nice price.

That is one sharp diesel. Nice wheels too, I've got dirty old steelies that aren't half as nice as those 13-spokes. Congratulations on your sexy four door with Fahrvergnügen!

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange

bidikyoopi posted:

That is one sharp diesel. Nice wheels too, I've got dirty old steelies that aren't half as nice as those 13-spokes. Congratulations on your sexy four door with Fahrvergnügen!

Domo Arigato :v:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

bidikyoopi posted:

Farhfrumpumpen!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

A newer pic of my beast, with a replacement front bumper on it:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You Am I posted:

I love your car.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I already posted these in my minivan thread but I figured I'd add them to this thread with a bit more detail.

Current rides:

My current car
2010 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X GSR (5 speed manual) with sight, sound and spoiler package it had 11 miles on it when I got it and currently has 36.5 miles on it)

It's pretty loud visually. It's pretty much the opposite of my previous much more understated M3.

My wife's current car which I occasionally drive when hauling around the kids
2007 Lexus ES350 fully loaded with everything (nav, back up camera, bluetooth, heated and cooled seats, etc.) except the panoramic sunroof and Mark Levinson sound

Why does this thing have such a high ride height?

My motorcycle

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.

Lot of work to do!

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

My new DD. 2005 S2000 it only had 29,000 miles on it when I got it two weeks ago. It's such a fun car to drive. No modifications have been done, and I'm not sure if I even want to change anything, just some nice tires this summer. No more DSM's for me, my 97 GST I bought in 99 will be shipped off to a good friend in Texas soon. It's going to be kinda strange after having one or more constantly for the last 12 years. In all that time and owning 5 different DSM's I was never left stranded or had one breakdown on me. Good bye old pal. :smith:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
Oops, I did it again:

$350 1985 Mazda RX7 GSL (manual trans)
Thread to happen when my daily driver cars' maintenance and repairs are done.

thewheelsteve
Jan 26, 2010

ab0z posted:

Oops, I did it again:

I love you

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

ab0z posted:

Oops, I did it again:

I want to send your picture to my '79-RX7-owning friend, to try to convince him to inflate the drat tires and take it out of the drat garage.

Awesomeness. Every time I see an RX7 I like them a little bit more.

PLaSMaN
Apr 10, 2006
Stupid what !?

You Am I posted:

What is that car ? I have a Mazda Protege5 and it looks just like this apart from the front and spoiler, i think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

PLaSMaN posted:

What is that car ? I have a Mazda Protege5 and it looks just like this apart from the front and spoiler, i think.

The amazing Ford Laser. Available and Australia and Asia.

travisray2004 fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 9, 2010