Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR

KingMob posted:

Malifaux is not grimdark like 40K. Neither is it semi-serious business like Warmahordes. What it is, is Malifun.

Yes, the puns (Malipuns, as it were) do get out of hand at times, but at our first “official” Malifaux get together last Thursday night, they were coming thick and fast. Luckily no one committed any serious Malifaux pas…

I love you.

Doing Malifaux again this sunday. I'll see if I can get some pictures taken. The Wyrd forums are so much better than the Warmachine counterpart for tactics and I've got some new tricks with Pandora to try out. Hopefully Seamus and McMourning with their respective posses will arrive soon as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
You think that's good, we got a million of them:

The group I play with is alternating between calling ourselves the Palifaux or the Malipals...

... as of yet we haven't made any enemies (Malifoes).

If we get hungry while playing, we can go across the street to get Vietnamese food. Mmmm, Malipho.

We're going to get team jackets made out of Malifaux fur.

etc. etc. etc.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Speaking of malifools, is anyone interested in a viktoria's box + some extras, and a deck?

PM me or email me paint.vagrant@gmail.com

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!
I picked up the Malifaux rulebook today while at a 40k tourney on a whim, looks fun. Now to get a chance to read it.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
My store just got a shipment of FSA stuff, so I might actually end up playing games! If I can get my ships to stand up straight that is.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

For whoever was looking for cheap warzone 54mm CMG models:

http://miniaturemarket.com/closeout_deals

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

So I played a quick "demo" size game of Firestorm Armada, and I really liked it.

Some quick highlights/things I noticed:

- we played terran vs dindrenzi, 2 squadrons each: 2 cruisers, 3 frigates

- the table was about 33"x33" (too small)

- we very quickly were on top of each other because of the minimum movement rules, and getting out of range band 1 and into range band 2 was pretty difficult

- I only got like 2 rounds of shooting with the fixed fore guns on my cruisers, but my frigates got a lot more.

- Torps arent quite as worthless as I thought, but they arent going to scratch the bigger ships very often.

-frigates can basically "camp" by flying in a circle. All the larger ships cant, and it takes some real thinking to make sure you line up your fore and side arc weapons as efficiently as possible.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

This thread is going to get me in a lot of trouble with my wife. I'm just glad I haven't found FA minis locally and can't be arsed to buy them online.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
Unfortunately, my local game store crew won't buy into Firestorm Armada because the models are "bland."

They all bought Uncharted Seas instead, whose models remind me in a bad way of early GW models.

I'll offer a submission to the thread though with one of the more popular games at my store.

Urban War, by Urban Mammoth

Setting: Dystopian sci-fi.

Size: 10-20 models per side, 28mm scale. It can be played smaller though.

Mechanics: D10-based with per-model activations and the opportunity for elite units to take additional turns. Cover is vital, there are basically no armour saves or multi-wound models. Games are over very quickly in most cases due to a break point rule where losing too many men leads to a game over even if you aren't wiped out.

Models: Mostly single-part metal infantry, some multi-part models. Casting is on the whole good, and they invite interesting colour schemes.

Cost: A starter box will cost about £15-25 ($24-40) with blister packs then going for £4-10 ($6-16.)

Pros:
- Fast-paced.
- Per-model activations rather than "I Go You Go"
- The rulebook has every model's rules in.

Cons:
- No new releases impending, and the company seem to be half-dead. They still sell models, though.
- Some units don't have models.
- Faction design may be too generic for some.

Pictures: (From the official site)

Official Site: https://www.urbanmammoth.com

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR
Played two more games of Malifaux with Pandora, this time against Lady Justice and her posse. I tried playing her up front instead of in the back and it worked like a charm. All the willpower checks needed to target her kept up a solid defense and harmed the opposition at same time. I almost managed to run Lady Justice off the board in the second game when I got a lucky Mental Anguish off from a Project Emotions. I only needed one more crow in about six cards after that to make her fall back again but didn't get any. Still managed to win both games even if they were pretty close. This game is really fun :)

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
My Firestorm Armada turned up at the wrong house.

I bought it with Paypal and it wouldn't let me change the shipping address which was set to my mums address. I e-mailed them after ordering and asked if they could send it to my actual address which I gave them. They said okay, this must have got lost in communication along the way because it's sitting at my mums.

Best part is that they printed the postcode as half my postcode and half my mums. :negative: It's a wonder it turned up anywhere at all.

Never buy anything direct from Spartan Games/Rebel Publishing.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Furret Basket posted:

Never buy anything direct from Spartan Games/Rebel Publishing.

Or just give them your actual address.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The address was supplied, and they confirmed it. One half of one postcode and one half of another though. :psyduck:

My Terrans turned up fine, I must have got lucky. It's not like I'll find time to paint them until 2012, so they could have taken months for all it matters.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Bob Smith posted:

:words:

Thanks duder, added it to the OP

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Does anyone here have any experience with AE Bounty? Im not sure if its even been released yet.

Model preview:

http://darksondesigns.com/

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

holy poo poo

http://monsterpocalypse.com/news/voltron-lands-this-summer

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

I included Voltron coming out as a PRO in my monpoc OP write up. :smug:

And yes, you can actually take the 5 small lion units and combine them into Voltron in game. :dance:

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I included Voltron coming out as a PRO in my monpoc OP write up. :smug:

And yes, you can actually take the 5 small lion units and combine them into Voltron in game. :dance:

I still haven't seen word if Voltron is truly compatible with Monpoc's other figures ((The same way the Marvel Heroscape figures AREN'T really compatible with Heroscape, even if they use the same rules.))

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006

lighttigersoul posted:

I still haven't seen word if Voltron is truly compatible with Monpoc's other figures ((The same way the Marvel Heroscape figures AREN'T really compatible with Heroscape, even if they use the same rules.))

It said on that page, if I recall, that Voltron units will be compatible with Monsterpocalypse.

PP posted:

Part of the popular Monsterpocalypse line, Voltron: Defender of the Universe will be completely compatible with all current Monsterpocalypse series.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Bob Smith posted:

It said on that page, if I recall, that Voltron units will be compatible with Monsterpocalypse.

Again, in my example, Marvel Heroscape figures are 'compatible' in that they use the same rules, but they aren't really compatible in a practical sense.

I guess I should trust PP to do it right.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

the more I look at these, the more I want them

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

lighttigersoul posted:

Again, in my example, Marvel Heroscape figures are 'compatible' in that they use the same rules, but they aren't really compatible in a practical sense.

I guess I should trust PP to do it right.

Matt Wilson and David Carl have said that this are definitely monpoc figures, use all the same rules etc. It's just a special box set to get new players in, not a spinoff product kind of like Marvel Heroscape was. Relax man... it's all good. :cool:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

So to play monpoc via vassal, do I need to actually own anything? it doesnt have a rulebook, or does it?

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

PaintVagrant posted:

So to play monpoc via vassal, do I need to actually own anything? it doesnt have a rulebook, or does it?

Rulebook is available in full online.

http://www.monsterpocalypse.com/downloads/series-4-rulebook-and-reference-sheet

Dre2Dee2: Voltron is definitely getting fielded along with my GUARD at some point. I have said it before, but Privateer Press is quickly becoming one of my favorite companies for minis.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Thanks buddy :buddy:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

So when I click hte monpoc module on vassals site, it shows a pic, but the files section has no link.

So far ive got warmahordes and infinity. Im down to play almost any game from the OP via vassal and a voice program.

Feel free to post links for OP games vassal modules :hellyeah:

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

PaintVagrant posted:

So when I click hte monpoc module on vassals site, it shows a pic, but the files section has no link.

So far ive got warmahordes and infinity. Im down to play almost any game from the OP via vassal and a voice program.

Direct link to download:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3075124/MonPoc_2.2.vmod

lighttigersoul fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 29, 2010

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

By the by, where did you get the warmahordes module? Does it happen to be MK II? :3:

Also I feel like we should get a vent server going specifically for this vassal purpose.

Oh and if you still need help figuring out how Monpoc works on vassal, here ya go:

http://teamcovenant.com/01/07/2010/playing-monsterpocalypse-on-vassal/

Voltron in monpoc is gonna own hard. Gonna kick rear end with the blue and red lions. :cool:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

lighttigersoul posted:

Direct link to download:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3075124/MonPoc_2.2.vmod

:slick:

Once I read the rules over Id def be interested in some games.

Anyone up for some small infinity games to get the hang of the rules?

e: warmahordes is on vassal site under modules

CaptainPete
Apr 26, 2009

I think I'm going to be suckering in a friend to split this with me....

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

the more I look at these, the more I want them

They are totally cool models, and in-game they're one of the most competitive units out of any faction by virtue of being pretty much unkillable in comparison to the really fragile standard units.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

PaintVagrant posted:

:slick:

Once I read the rules over Id def be interested in some games.

Anyone up for some small infinity games to get the hang of the rules?

e: warmahordes is on vassal site under modules

I'd be down for some infinity

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

How does ventrillo work, in terms of having a server? Is it just hosted on someones computer, or does it need some sort of bling dedicated server?

Would anyone here be interested in starting a alt game goons vassal league/vent server?

e: also, post your AIM/chat info here so we can get a group together

Mine: Paintvagrant (aim)

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 29, 2010

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation
Aim is same as forum name.

Need to download some other vassal modules, currently have MonPoc and WarHordes.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Dre2Dee2, my AIM sn is Dre2Dee2. :haw:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

KyloWinter posted:

I'd be down for some infinity

post your aim buddy

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
im strangely drawn to this Monsterpocalypse thingy.

Not like me at all.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Serotonin posted:

Not like me at all.

well, it looks like we might have at least 3 people willing to play it via vassal.

Ive never played it, but Im looking forward to trying it online with a hopefully patient goon. So if you want to give it a shot, JOIN OUR AIM LIST:

Paintvagrant
lighttigersoul
Dree2Dee2

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Serotonin posted:

Not like me at all.

You have chosen... wisely. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mark.yaml
Nov 9, 2009

lo siento, no hablo anglais
I'm in for Infinity, and anything else.

Paying for a 10 man vent server was £1.50 a month last time I looked. No idea what it'd be like trying to run off your own computer.

AIM: Wiltershaw

Still working on the rule book, just going slow at the moment due to life being really hectic. Will post a couple of bits later.