Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

PierreTheMime posted:

That red bone has to be from something. This is a fun game--find the random boardgame bitz!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think the bone is a shaved-down version of one of the old skeleton shield options, and I'm pretty sure there's an Omega Virus part on there as well

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
He's just a fast food knight.

PaintVagrant posted:

I like to wetblend my shades, sort of put the darker color on very thinly, and then using a clean brush to feather the edge so it blends in.

I dont actively blend 2 colors at once on the model too often though, because acrylics dry too damned fast.

When I try this it dries at the edges and leaves sort of a ring of colour. Any tips for avoiding this? Is my paint too thin/not thin enough?

To get my shades and highlights I use multiple overlapping coats of my highlight colour with a ton of matte medium mixed in. Sort of works I guess but I want to get the hang of feathering :(

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Fast_Food_Knight posted:

When I try this it dries at the edges and leaves sort of a ring of colour. Any tips for avoiding this? Is my paint too thin/not thin enough?

To get my shades and highlights I use multiple overlapping coats of my highlight colour with a ton of matte medium mixed in. Sort of works I guess but I want to get the hang of feathering :(

This guy who's pretty good does a bit on this dark angel. Check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDPWYLvlcsA

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
Liquitex drying retardant.

I feel like the retardant right now :kiddo:

Still kinda hard to see what he's doing in parts but I reckon I'm one step closer. Thanks CFH!

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Fast_Food_Knight posted:

Liquitex drying retardant.

I feel like the retardant right now :kiddo:

Still kinda hard to see what he's doing in parts but I reckon I'm one step closer. Thanks CFH!

No problem, I'm going to go get some tomorrow and start up on my cryx. I imagine doing black to blended gray can't be very hard.

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
Post pics of your results and I'll give it a try when I can and compare

A Powerful Cream
Jun 25, 2009

get ready to read some badposts b*tch!! - fdr to hitler, 1972
For making your own wash, what's the paint to water ratio?

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
My parents come over for dinner tonight and my dad says "by the way I found a harbor freight air brush/compressor on sale so get it out of the car before we leave".

Translation: post your favorite airbrushing videos/tutorials.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Your dad owns.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

My dad one Christmas got me a box of Silver Helms to go with some Orcish spearmen a buddy left me some months earlier. I hadn't the heart to tell him, since his reason was pretty sound. "You already have infantry, so I got you some cavalry." :3:

I was curious about what random army's soldiers he was going to get me for my birthday in the summer, but he kicked me out and threatened to cave my skull in, instead.

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!

CyberLord XP posted:

My parents come over for dinner tonight and my dad says "by the way I found a harbor freight air brush/compressor on sale so get it out of the car before we leave".

Translation: post your favorite airbrushing videos/tutorials.

http://www.youtube.com/user/awesomepaintjob#p/u/2/xh5Hb1hq07M

Video from awesome paintjob starts with airbrushing vehicles

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I was curious about what random army's soldiers he was going to get me for my birthday in the summer, but he kicked me out and threatened to cave my skull in, instead.
All the while shouting "No son of mine is gonna play that drat queer Warhammer!"

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

My dad one Christmas got me a box of Silver Helms to go with some Orcish spearmen a buddy left me some months earlier. I hadn't the heart to tell him, since his reason was pretty sound. "You already have infantry, so I got you some cavalry." :3:

:unsmith:

:smith:

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Apparently there's a Harbor Freight store actually here in Lincoln, NE. Anyone looking for anything particular?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Beerdeer posted:

Apparently there's a Harbor Freight store actually here in Lincoln, NE. Anyone looking for anything particular?

What's up Nebraskgoon? Come to Omaha much?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I have never been. I'm fairly new to Lincoln as it is

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Ah! You should swing by the Game Shoppe in Bellevue if you get the chance. It's the best store in the state for warhamming it up. The employee's aren't neckbeards and there's lots of table space now. Let me know if you want to get a game in.

E: Bellevue is a little suburb of Omaha. Welcome to Nebraska, enjoy the lovely weather and meth!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Beerdeer posted:

I have never been. I'm fairly new to Lincoln as it is

I work at The Game Shoppe that crime fighting hog is talking about. If you get the chance, come in on Tuesday/Thursday nights or before 4 on Saturday and I can give you a decent intro to the place.

PS people in Lincoln suck at 40k compared to dudes that game in Omaha :clint:

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

crime fighting hog posted:

E: Bellevue is a little suburb of Omaha. Welcome to Nebraska, enjoy the lovely weather and meth!

Sounds a lot like Bellevue, Washington. The Bunker!

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology

LewdMonocle posted:

Combaticus, are you planning on making any more trucks? I would love to see a step by step of your process.

Nope, don't really have any plans for it at the moment, I could try and sketch up some guides to how I did the different parts if you want though.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
Are harbor freight stores rare? There's one down the street from my house.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Really freakin' late, but here we are!
FUR.

For the base for the demonstration, I've used the cloak back from the space marine commander kit.
The first thing you want to do is rough up your surface with some sand paper--the finer the grit, the better. In this way, your epoxy will stick to the cloak while you go to town adding detail.

Here's the epoxy on the cloak. It's a bit thick, but that's what you want, as fur has a lot of variation in the terms of depth. It also doesn't need to be clean or even, as that helps you create the illusion.

The first pass over, I used a pointy tool to make some impressions. I was a bit haphazard with this, as it adds the random factor that you find in hair and fur. You can use a nail or a knitting needle for this part.

The second pass was with a smaller tool--a blunt hobby knife will work--and I added some angles. I also pushed a little under the epoxy to, again, add random layers of depth.

And here is where it comes alive. Using a sharp blade on my hobby knife, I cut shallow lines into the epoxy, approximately at a 45 degree angle, first going right and then going left. I tried to vary where I put the cuts, and overlapped in some areas to randomize the effect. The biggest pitfall you want to avoid is making things look too orderly, as it ends up looking like someone combed a part into the fur.

Anyways, there it is. Simple, quick, and effective.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Can anyone give me a quick rundown of the different plasticard thicknesses? I want to order some online, but I'm not sure what size I'll need.

I'll be converting a bone sword out of it, so I need a thickness that will stand up on its own without too much support.

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology
I'd recommend 1.5 mm thick card for something like that, that way it'll also be thick enough for you to drill it so it can be pinned on.

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head
How do people magnetize marine arms? There's not enough depth in the torso pieces to sink a 1mm deep magnet.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Sole.Sushi posted:

Really freakin' late, but here we are!
FUR.

Sweet. Thanks. I'll probably give this a shot tomorrow.

Myopic posted:

How do people magnetize marine arms? There's not enough depth in the torso pieces to sink a 1mm deep magnet.
Some people stick a gob of greenstuff inside the torso.

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Some people stick a gob of greenstuff inside the torso.

I thought about that but I wasn't sure it'd hold, they're only 2mm wide. I'll give it a go, thanks.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
I've gotten by just fine using zap-a-gap and a bit of a careful touch. But if you're having problems I'd certainly gob some putty down into the hollow.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

S.J. posted:

PS people in Lincoln suck at 40k compared to dudes that game in Omaha :clint:

Truer words have never been spoken holy poo poo never go to Gauntlet Games.

Um, about painting, where's the guide to making your own wet palette?

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Varnish Question. If I hit the model with a layer of dullcoat and then touch up some parts of it with a brush on gloss varnish will the glossy portion look any different than if I just put the gloss varnish on with no dullcoat? Is there any interaction with how the light reacts with the layers beneath it?

Gonna go with glossy carapaces on my nids.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Im pretty sure gloss over matte just looks glossy.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Putting gloss on the dullcoat will make it shiny again

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.

Truer words have never been spoken holy poo poo never go to Gauntlet Games.

Um, about painting, where's the guide to making your own wet palette?

Get a small tupperware container, put a wet (not too wet) sponge in the bottom of it, cover the sponge with wax paper.

Wet palette.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Parchment paper, not wax paper. Wax paper isn't water-permeable. Also, a layer of paper towel between the sponge and the parchment helps even out air bubbles.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

stabbington posted:

Parchment paper, not wax paper. Wax paper isn't water-permeable. Also, a layer of paper towel between the sponge and the parchment helps even out air bubbles.

I've already got parchment paper at home for D&D handouts, so I'll be making this tomorrow. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

SirJoeKCB
Dec 24, 2003

I've already got parchment paper at home for D&D handouts, so I'll be making this tomorrow. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I'm pretty sure that what he's talking about is the parchment paper used for baking. I'm just guessing that that isn't what you're using for handouts.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
^^^^^
It's the same stuff. Parchment paper takes to weathering like a motherfucker, so it's easy to create awesome D&D hand-outs with it. I've used it several times, though yes, mostly for baking.

EDIT: I wonder if I could create "tiny" purity seals using this old trick... If it works, photo tutorial.

Sole.Sushi fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 26, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Whoah, an actually good modelling article on BoLS?

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2010/01/40k-hobby-converting-warriors-with.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Whoah, an actually good modelling article on BoLS?

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2010/01/40k-hobby-converting-warriors-with.html

That's because it's a copy/paste of one of Hive Fleet Hydra's modelling posts from Warpshadow. Which would be like copy/pasting one of PaintVagrant's posts from here (because neither of them are BoLS contributors).

• Locked thread