Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
To both, the LG Env 3 is one of the best regular phones you can get on Verizon. However, Verizon has just changed their plans, and that phone will REQUIRE a $10 data plan. Just a heads up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IDemandSatisfaction
Feb 20, 2007

Glove slap baby!
Country/Provider: USA, ATT

Current contract status: Finished as of last month

Budget (phone/plan): $200 for phone, up to $100 a month w/data

Features I know I want: Data, internet browsing, non-touchscreen keyboard

I currently have a 1st-gen iPhone. Beyond basic phone stuff, I really like it for the browser and the Facebook app, but I'm getting sick of the touch screen keyboard.

I've never used a Blackberry, but people seem to like them. I guess the Droid, Pre and Nexus One also fall into the category of phones I'm interested in.

Any suggestions? I'd be interested to hear from a former iPhone user.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.
Has anyone tried the Nokia E63? I can get one for 'free' with a contract of $19 a month + $8 a month for basic internet for 24 months. It costs about $250 to buy unlocked so that works out to about $16 a month to use, which is about what I end up paying now with my ancient pre-paid Nokia (if not less), so I'd essentially be paying $250 for a huge upgrade in capability (camera, big colour screen, keyboard, internet). This would be on 3 mobile in Australia.

I'm a pretty light user who uses SMS more than voice and would like some basic camera and internet capabilities. I'm a little concerned about being locked into a contract for 2 years, but I've had my current crappy phone for longer than that anyway. Sound like a good deal?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

IDemandSatisfaction posted:

Country/Provider: USA, ATT

Current contract status: Finished as of last month

Budget (phone/plan): $200 for phone, up to $100 a month w/data

Features I know I want: Data, internet browsing, non-touchscreen keyboard

I currently have a 1st-gen iPhone. Beyond basic phone stuff, I really like it for the browser and the Facebook app, but I'm getting sick of the touch screen keyboard.

I've never used a Blackberry, but people seem to like them. I guess the Droid, Pre and Nexus One also fall into the category of phones I'm interested in.

Any suggestions? I'd be interested to hear from a former iPhone user.

If you are staying on ATT your only other choice really is the blackberry bold 2. Blackberrys are very good phones, i have the tour and i love it. Pick your carrier first, then the phone you want. Probably either Blackberry or an Android phone.

IDemandSatisfaction
Feb 20, 2007

Glove slap baby!

Duckman2008 posted:

If you are staying on ATT your only other choice really is the blackberry bold 2. Blackberrys are very good phones, i have the tour and i love it. Pick your carrier first, then the phone you want. Probably either Blackberry or an Android phone.

I can upgrade to a Bold 2 for $50, but I might shop around carriers a little bit. Its hard to decide...Luke Wilson keeps assuring me that I have the greatest 3G coverage ever conceived.

Edit- Got the Bold 2 today. Still getting used to it, but so far its nice. Thanks for the advice.

IDemandSatisfaction fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 18, 2010

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

IDemandSatisfaction posted:

I can upgrade to a Bold 2 for $50, but I might shop around carriers a little bit. Its hard to decide...Luke Wilson keeps assuring me that I have the greatest 3G coverage ever conceived.

The Bold 9700 is really the best choice if you want that keyboard. RIM knows how to make keyboards, unlike Motorola and Palm who put awful keyboards on the Pre and the Droid respectively. The Droid keyboard is just bad while the Pre keyboard is tiny. The only gripe I have with the BlackBerry is the UI and third-party apps situation but I don't use too many apps on my BlackBerry. That's probably because there aren't very many good third-party apps for my uses. I could write a long essay on RIM and the BlackBerry but I won't.

Be warned, even though the OS 5.0 browser is much improved, it's best to install Bolt Browser. You can even use Bolt as the default browser. Also, the Facebook app is pretty mediocre compared to the iPhone but this is the way it is on every platform that isn't the iPhone.

fakeedit:

ShardPhoenix posted:

Has anyone tried the Nokia E63? I can get one for 'free' with a contract of $19 a month + $8 a month for basic internet for 24 months. It costs about $250 to buy unlocked so that works out to about $16 a month to use, which is about what I end up paying now with my ancient pre-paid Nokia (if not less), so I'd essentially be paying $250 for a huge upgrade in capability (camera, big colour screen, keyboard, internet). This would be on 3 mobile in Australia.

I'm a pretty light user who uses SMS more than voice and would like some basic camera and internet capabilities. I'm a little concerned about being locked into a contract for 2 years, but I've had my current crappy phone for longer than that anyway. Sound like a good deal?

You should be fine with the E63 if all you do is text and browse the web.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Godzilla07 posted:

The Bold 9700 is really the best choice if you want that keyboard. RIM knows how to make keyboards, unlike Motorola and Palm who put awful keyboards on the Pre and the Droid respectively. The Droid keyboard is just bad while the Pre keyboard is tiny. The only gripe I have with the BlackBerry is the UI and third-party apps situation but I don't use too many apps on my BlackBerry. That's probably because there aren't very many good third-party apps for my uses. I could write a long essay on RIM and the BlackBerry but I won't.

Be warned, even though the OS 5.0 browser is much improved, it's best to install Bolt Browser. You can even use Bolt as the default browser. Also, the Facebook app is pretty mediocre compared to the iPhone but this is the way it is on every platform that isn't the iPhone.

I disagreee, Blackberry has been around for years, and as a result there is actually a pretty decent support of apps for it. They just aren't all on the app store, and sometimes they do cost more. I went from Android to BBerry and was quite surprised.

belle of my ballz
Sep 14, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Choosing a cellphone is actually driving me crazy. I have read hundreds of reviews, watched more then a dozen videos on youtube and I can't make up my goddamn mind.

This choice is important because its a phone from work and i'm pretty much stuck using it every single day for the duration of the contract.

SmartPhones I have owned in the past : iPhone 2g, iPhone 3g, E71, Blackberry Storm, Blackberry Curve and Samsung Omnia

My choices literally any phone that is sold in Canada. I have narrowed my choices down to the following.

Storm 2 : Even though I hated the Storm 1, apparently they fixed the issues in the Storm 2 and I really liked the screen and the design. BB messenger being a plus as 50%+ in my office are on blackberries, along with my girlfriend and a couple of my buddies.

iPhone 3GS: The battery life on the iPhone 3g drove me nutty, this can be remedied by a case with battery. Cons for this one include random time wasting apps and the fact that EVERYONE has a goddamn iPhone. On the plus side it has tethering unlike any other phone on the market. Also I really hate the message tone/popup on the iPhone it reminds me of my ex girlfriend for some reason.

Blackberry Bold/Tour/Curve - My blackberry before the storm was the old Curve models. Nothing to write home about. The browser sucked but it was a few generations ago.

Nokia N97/N86/E71 - Any reason why I should consider these phones

My needs

I send and read 100-200 emails a day
About the same number of texts
I'm proficient on both the iPhone and Storm keyboards
I don't use my cellphone for pictures
I read bloomberg religiously
ditto with the NYT/WP
I'd like to listen to my phone for about 2 hours a day
I rarely talk on the phone unless absolutely necessary
It'd be nice to be able to administer my website from my phone but not necessary
I like being standout/unique
MUST SYNC WITH A MAC NO ACCEPTIONS NO ANDROID

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

belle of my ballz posted:

Choosing a cellphone is actually driving me crazy. I have read hundreds of reviews, watched more then a dozen videos on youtube and I can't make up my goddamn mind.

This choice is important because its a phone from work and i'm pretty much stuck using it every single day for the duration of the contract.

SmartPhones I have owned in the past : iPhone 2g, iPhone 3g, E71, Blackberry Storm, Blackberry Curve and Samsung Omnia

My choices literally any phone that is sold in Canada. I have narrowed my choices down to the following.

Storm 2 : Even though I hated the Storm 1, apparently they fixed the issues in the Storm 2 and I really liked the screen and the design. BB messenger being a plus as 50%+ in my office are on blackberries, along with my girlfriend and a couple of my buddies.

iPhone 3GS: The battery life on the iPhone 3g drove me nutty, this can be remedied by a case with battery. Cons for this one include random time wasting apps and the fact that EVERYONE has a goddamn iPhone. On the plus side it has tethering unlike any other phone on the market. Also I really hate the message tone/popup on the iPhone it reminds me of my ex girlfriend for some reason.

Blackberry Bold/Tour/Curve - My blackberry before the storm was the old Curve models. Nothing to write home about. The browser sucked but it was a few generations ago.

Nokia N97/N86/E71 - Any reason why I should consider these phones

My needs

I send and read 100-200 emails a day
About the same number of texts
I'm proficient on both the iPhone and Storm keyboards
I don't use my cellphone for pictures
I read bloomberg religiously
ditto with the NYT/WP
I'd like to listen to my phone for about 2 hours a day
I rarely talk on the phone unless absolutely necessary
It'd be nice to be able to administer my website from my phone but not necessary
I like being standout/unique
MUST SYNC WITH A MAC NO ACCEPTIONS NO ANDROID

Blah my Android works with my mac, I have so much music i have to dragand drop in itunes anyway.

But anyway, sounds like you won't be happy right now with any pick. I recommend (seriously) taking a deep breath first. Then either get the Storm 2 or wait for the Tour 2 on Verizon. Only thing iPhone potentially is better at is the website thing. BBerry now has a good web browser (opera mini).

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

on Verizon.

He's in Canada.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

To both, the LG Env 3 is one of the best regular phones you can get on Verizon. However, Verizon has just changed their plans, and that phone will REQUIRE a $10 data plan. Just a heads up.

I notice on the Verizon site that they say the Env3 does "corporate e-mail". Does that mean I can connect directly to an exchange server?

thongbutt
May 9, 2008

What Are You Wearing Today?

Duckman2008 posted:

Thanks, I went ahead and ordered the enV3. And It actually didn't require the $10 data plan for some reason. I don't know if that's possibly location dependent or what.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

900ftjesus posted:

He's in Canada.

*forehead slap*

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Still no answer on this, any ideas that don't involve a 2-yr agreement with AT&T as "thanks" for holding my number for me?

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Less-common request:

How to not waste money on my current plan while deployed to Kandahar, but not lose my number?

Current contract: AT&T, been on for years and have no current obligation

EDIT: Ended up calling AT&T, and it appears they can "freeze" a number for $10/mo for up to 180 days with no lengthening of contract obligation, so I'm just going to go with that, and then figure out a new phone when I return to the US.

Though, reading the info on number porting, I understand that I can't keep my old Austin phone number now that I'm no longer living in Austin?

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 19, 2010

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I've got a Sprint EPRP account and Blackberry that I'm willing to transfer to someone for free. Basically I'm selling the phone to cover my early termination fee. But if someone is looking to join Sprint it's a great deal. I'm going hiking for 6 months and don't feel like putting my account on hold. Information about the phone is in the Sell or Trade Phones thread. I've been very happy with the service of Sprint and their Customer Service as well as the phone. Again, I'm just making this post to offer transferring the phone and account over to someone for free.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I'm heading to the Dallas area for my first real job and my parents want me off of their AT&T plan as soon as I can afford it comfortably. Soooo.....

Country/Provider:
USA/Any Provider

Current Contract Status:
On parents' contract as of right now but not sure if I can get a deal by splitting off of them to my own AT&T account or just go with another provider

Budget:
200 max for a phone and 100 max a month for service.

Features I know I want:
I text, send pictures, and really want to be able to browse the web/read forums/check email. Being able to use my phone as a gps device and still accept phone calls while driving would be a huge plus.

This is my first dip into cellphones as I just picked a phone upgrade everytime my parents contract said so my entire life. I've been using a Blackjack and now the Blackjack 2 and they are ok, but the browser is junk and texting in the Blackjack 2 is sorta wonky sometimes when I read messages and it still marks it as new.

poemdexter fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 20, 2010

thongbutt
May 9, 2008

What Are You Wearing Today?

Kyruski posted:

And It actually didn't require the $10 data plan for some reason. I don't know if that's possibly location dependent or what.

Ok. Had some trouble activating my phone but when I talked to customer service, they fixed it. They did tell me that, like Duckman2008 said, most of their phones as of yesterday require a data plan of some sort. I barely dodge the bullet by ordering it a day or two before it took happened.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

poemdexter posted:

I'm heading to the Dallas area for my first real job and my parents want me off of their AT&T plan as soon as I can afford it comfortably. Soooo.....

Country/Provider:
USA/Any Provider

Current Contract Status:
On parents' contract as of right now but not sure if I can get a deal by splitting off of them to my own AT&T account or just go with another provider

Budget:

Features I know I want:
I text, send pictures, and really want to be able to browse the web/read forums/check email. Being able to use my phone as a gps device and still accept phone calls while driving would be a huge plus.

This is my first dip into cellphones as I just picked a phone upgrade everytime my parents contract said so my entire life. I've been using a Blackjack and now the Blackjack 2 and they are ok, but the browser is junk and texting in the Blackjack 2 is sorta wonky sometimes when I read messages and it still marks it as new.

Dallas is a bigass city, so i would assume all 4 have good coverage there.

Blackberry Curve/Tour or HTC Hero on Sprint.

Sprint Plan: $69.99 a month. Unlimited data, text, GPS, Turn by Turn Nav, unlimited calling to any cell phone. 450 mins for landlines. You get upgrades (new phones) every year.

Plan qualifies for discounts, so like, if you work for Wal-Mart, military, krogers, bank of america, wherever, you usually can get a discount on your monthly bill.

Not quite as good coverage as Verizon, but way cheaper.

T-Mobile is also very well priced, especially if you want to buy your phone outright and avoid a contract. Either one seems to do better right now than ATT or VZ.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint Plan: $69.99 a month.

Why not Sprint EPRP with 50 extra minutes for $10 less per month?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
My wife barely uses her phone, but she's had a pink Razr for like 5 years now. She wants something with a better camera and easy to use address book type stuff, and she wants it cheap. Basically because of her job she never has her phone on her (they won't let her bring it into the building) so she barely uses the thing but she does like to take pictures so I would like to know what the cheapest, best GSM camera phone we can get her is. She also does light texting but shes fine with the keypad, she doesn't need a touchscreen or an MP3 player or any of that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

900ftjesus posted:

Why not Sprint EPRP with 50 extra minutes for $10 less per month?

Because I keep forgetting about it!

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

poemdexter posted:

Country/Provider:
USA/Any Provider

Current Contract Status:

Budget:

Features I know I want:

You can't do simultaneous voice and data on EV-DO which is what Sprint uses. So no GPS data usage and phone calls at the same time.

There are a few good options out there for you. Sprint EPRP with a Moment or a Hero would be pretty good. If you're a heavy messages guy then you should get a BlackBerry Tour but at this point, there isn't too much reason to get a BlackBerry anymore now that Android has matured. If you really think simultaneous voice and data is worth an extra $20/month to you, go to T-Mobile and get a Nexus One.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Country/Provider: USA/ATT

Current contract status: n/a

Budget (phone): $100, can pay $200 if the phone is very nice.

Features I know I want: I would like the phone to be very proficient at browsing the internet and email. I'd like the phone not to be a flip phone or any other style - just a flat faced one that doesn't need to be opened/slid to use it. Application/customizations are preferential too, like games, GPS.

The phone I have now is very old, and I'm not sure if a soft keyboard would matter to me or not. Since I haven't shopped for phones since 2001, I'm pretty clueless on all the new features, so I feel like my request is light on the information. If I left any critical information out please let me now. I hope you can help point me in the right direction. Thanks.

belle of my ballz
Sep 14, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
I decided to go with the Storm 2 on Telus. The only provider not to gently caress with me thusfar.

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
Been offered a work phone, either a HTC Touch2 or a Blackberry Curve 8900.

I'm put off the Blackberry because it doesn't have 3G, but I don't particularly want a Windows Mobile phone either. Is there a lesser of two evils here?

Edit: I know basically nothing about either, I've always used Nokias previously.

Sharrow fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 22, 2010

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Sharrow posted:

Been offered a work phone, either a HTC Touch2 or a Blackberry Curve 8900.

I'm put off the Blackberry because it doesn't have 3G, but I don't particularly want a Windows Mobile phone either. Is there a lesser of two evils here?

I'd go with the 8900. Even though it's a year old, it's still a solid phone and you're not missing too much over the 9700. Just upgrade the OS to OS 5.0 and you'll be fine. My 8900 has been a solid phone and I even used it as my only device for 2 weeks doing all of my duties (web browsing, MP3, navigation and messaging.)

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I'm about to buy a Verizon Mifi for $50 with the 2-year $60/month 5gig data plan.

Tell me why I shouldn't, or should go for Sprint's identical device, or how I could get a better deal.

I do know the Sprint Mifi is $50 cheaper, but Sprint lately has that awful sinking ship flavor. They've closed 5 out of 7 of our local Sprint stores in the last couple months; none of the other shops have closed. They do have the 3g/4g combo version, but there's no 4g in my local cities and it's a much bigger device for $100; the 4g attraction doesn't hit me.

e: is there any way to get a price-match because the Sprint unit is the same thing?

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 23, 2010

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Splizwarf posted:

I'm about to buy a Verizon Mifi for $50 with the 2-year $60/month 5gig data plan.

Tell me why I shouldn't, or should go for Sprint's identical device, or how I could get a better deal.

I do know the Sprint Mifi is $50 cheaper, but Sprint lately has that awful sinking ship flavor. They've closed 5 out of 7 of our local Sprint stores in the last couple months; none of the other shops have closed. They do have the 3g/4g combo version, but there's no 4g in my local cities and it's a much bigger device for $100; the 4g attraction doesn't hit me.

e: is there any way to get a price-match because the Sprint unit is the same thing?

The Sprint MiFi CANNOT do 4G. Same with Verizon, the MiFis were made before 4G/LTE so neither will ever be able to do 4G.

Sprint is starting to reverse itself, however for 3G internet I do recommend Verizon, they just have better coverage and the pricing is the same.

If you live in a city Sprint actually may get 4G by the end of the year, so the only reason to go with Sprint is if you want 4G (the new Overdrive on Sprint does 4G), which will mean faster home speeds and unlimited data when in 4G. Pretty nice, but obviously not near wide spread yet.

Verizon will also be rolling out LTE this year, but they do not have any 4G units out yet.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.
Country/Provider: USA/VZW

Current contract status: month-to-month

Budget (phone): $100 or less hopefully.

Features I know I want: Qwerty keyboard, no data requirement from VZW.

My wife and I are currently on Verizon, currently both carrying env2's and we're both ready for an updgrade. I've pretty much settled on an HTC Eris, and the $45 data plan I'll need to active sync with work, for myself and my wife is also just as certain she doesn't want to pay even $10 for data. Can anyone recommend a vzw phone with a qwerty keyboard that doesn't require a data plan?

Angora
Feb 16, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Ok, this is for my girlfriend who is currently in a bit of a situation. She is on a family plan in her mother's name with AT&T until June; however, her mother wants to cancel the plan and move to Verizon to save money. This obviously won't work what with the early termination fee, the cost of new phones, etc.

Without going into the E/N details, said mother is a screwup when it comes to money and my girlfriend plans on moving into her own place and getting her own phone plan. This is where I'd like to know what options she has. Specifically she says she's interested in month-to-month options without a long term contract.

Country/Provider: USA/ATT

Current contract status: Contracted until June 2010 (may be cancelling)

Budget (phone): $200

Features I know I want: Month to Month contract, unlimited texting, ~1200 minutes/month, Possibly unlimited data

She likes the idea of an unlocked iPhone since she uses the internet frequently on her current phone, however, she's not committed to spending the extra data fees. Are there even any reasonably priced month-to-month providers that can cover the iPhone costs? What would the cost be for a package such as the one she wants, with or without unlimited data?

edit: For coverage reasons, this will be in the Rochester, NY area

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint is starting to reverse itself, however for 3G internet I do recommend Verizon, they just have better coverage and the pricing is the same.

Mostly wrong. If you live outside a city of any real size the coverage may be better with VZW but pricing is a no brainer, Mifi on Sprint EPRP for $50/month.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

900ftjesus posted:

Mostly wrong. If you live outside a city of any real size the coverage may be better with VZW but pricing is a no brainer, Mifi on Sprint EPRP for $50/month.

Agreed on the EPRP, i keep forgetting about that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

wernox posted:

Country/Provider: USA/VZW

Current contract status: month-to-month

Budget (phone): $100 or less hopefully.

Features I know I want: Qwerty keyboard, no data requirement from VZW.

My wife and I are currently on Verizon, currently both carrying env2's and we're both ready for an updgrade. I've pretty much settled on an HTC Eris, and the $45 data plan I'll need to active sync with work, for myself and my wife is also just as certain she doesn't want to pay even $10 for data. Can anyone recommend a vzw phone with a qwerty keyboard that doesn't require a data plan?

Sincerely doubt it, all keyboards are not considered feature phones. Welcome to the new Verizon!

"She likes the idea of an unlocked iPhone since she uses the internet frequently on her current phone, however, she's not committed to spending the extra data fees. Are there even any reasonably priced month-to-month providers that can cover the iPhone costs? What would the cost be for a package such as the one she wants, with or without unlimited data?"

If she wants an "unlocked" iPhone take it to TMobile. Keep in mind even buying it new for $600 at Best Buy does not mean it is unlocked, Apple is gay and even at full price the iPhone is still locked onto AT&T.

iPhone on TMobile on the Even More Plus plan would be as low as $59.99 a month. No 3G compatability (ATT and TMobile use different bands), but still works mostly great.

If it is a newer iPhone you'll have to do a tethered jailbreak, which kinda sucks/isn't for everyone.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3241261

I do just recommend you buy the Nexus 1 if you go to TMobile. Better price, better phone.

Angora
Feb 16, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Duckman2008 posted:

Sincerely doubt it, all keyboards are not considered feature phones. Welcome to the new Verizon!

If she wants an "unlocked" iPhone take it to TMobile. Keep in mind even buying it new for $600 at Best Buy does not mean it is unlocked, Apple is gay and even at full price the iPhone is still locked onto AT&T.

iPhone on TMobile on the Even More Plus plan would be as low as $59.99 a month. No 3G compatability (ATT and TMobile use different bands), but still works mostly great.

If it is a newer iPhone you'll have to do a tethered jailbreak, which kinda sucks/isn't for everyone.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3241261

I do just recommend you buy the Nexus 1 if you go to TMobile. Better price, better phone.

As far as the price for the phone goes, I'm not too concerned. I see used second generation Iphones on SA-Mart for cheap all the time. However, to get a cheap Nexus 1 wouldn't she need to sign a 2 year?

horrible accident!
Jan 16, 2005

squashed by obelisk
but it was my own fault
:~P

horrible accident! fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Oct 30, 2020

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Angora posted:

As far as the price for the phone goes, I'm not too concerned. I see used second generation Iphones on SA-Mart for cheap all the time. However, to get a cheap Nexus 1 wouldn't she need to sign a 2 year?

Well, compared to new iPhone 3GS and without a contract, no. A Nexus 1 with no contarct is $525ish. Buying it with a contract is kinda dumb in my opinion, $179 today but you pay more monthly and are in a contract.

You seem cool with buying off someone else, so as long as you are careful and get a good deal, go for an iPhone 3G. Find out the software version beforehand, some of the 3Gs (IE unlocked usually) can be jailbroken under the older iPhone Dev team method, some that have the 3GS current software cannot be as easily unlocked.

If TMobile has good coverage in your area I highly recommend it, they have great customer service, low plans, just not the best data network. But I'd take an iPhone on Edge over an iPhone on ATT 3G anyday for price alone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pango posted:

Country/Provider: USA

Current contract status: n/a

Features I know I want: I don't want to go into too much detail but my friend and I recently fell from grace with the arctic fox who pays our phone bill and we want a way to stay in touch via text messages. A full keyboard would be preferable, but its absence would be tolerable if the price hike is too much. We don't need voice at all. I guess the essence of my question is: what are our best options if all we want to do is text each other?

Virgin Mobile you can get a cheap calling plan with unlimited text for about $30 a month prepaid (i think), and they now have the LG Rumor 2, which is full keypad. This is like, the one scenario I would actually recommend Virgin Mobile (Boost usually beats them in price). Plus VM uses Sprint towers, so coverage is good.

Angora
Feb 16, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I've heard that there are issues jailbreaking third generation ipods. I'm pretty tech savvy but she's not. Would this present a problem?

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Angora posted:

I've heard that there are issues jailbreaking third generation ipods. I'm pretty tech savvy but she's not. Would this present a problem?
Third-gen iPod Touch has the same "tethered jailbreak" requirement as late-manufacture (approx. 2009 week 40 and later) iPhone 3GS units, to my understanding. This means you have to plug the iPod into a Windows or Mac OS computer if you ever need to restart it -- battery goes totally dead, you install something sketchy from Cydia, too much multitasking, etc.

It's still annoying as poo poo, but honestly is much less a crisis than being stuck with a tethered jailbreak on a 3GS since the phone is your loving lifeline. You might ask for more/better info in the iPod Touch thread in TA/VA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

Country/Provider: USA/Tmobile

Contract: Out of contract, on month to month

I want to get an android phone, but I hate on-screen keyboards so I want a phone with a real one. I was thinking about trying to find a G1 for sale used to pick up and just use that by adding the data plan, instead of buying a new phone at a discount and re-signing a new contract. That way if the Droid or something similar comes to Tmo I can switch. I thought about a Cliq but I just don't think I'd use the motoblur part of it and I don't really like the keyboard.

Is this a good idea? If so, what's a good price for a used G1? I've seen anywhere from $150-300 on ebay and craigslist.