Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Psychonauts would be so much better if it let you map Xbox controller triggers to their proper functions. :argh: Even games like Prince of Persia let you do that. (I know there are third party drivers that get around the problem, but I'm stupid and/or they don't want to play nice with my pc for some reason)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

FLX posted:

Gonna start Riven tomorrow.

Tip for Riven: Take notes. Mark down anything that looks interesting.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

raezr posted:

Psychonauts would be so much better if it let you map Xbox controller triggers to their proper functions. :argh: Even games like Prince of Persia let you do that. (I know there are third party drivers that get around the problem, but I'm stupid and/or they don't want to play nice with my pc for some reason)

It all depends on whether the game is able to recognize the controller as a 360 controller or just a normal gamepad. For some unknown reason, Microsoft decided that the triggers should function as an analog axis, so pressing both the left and right trigger fully is the same as not pressing any trigger at all. However, if the game does some 360-controller-only magic, it works.

The custom drivers do work, but it's a bit of a hassle to get them up and running properly.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

ymgve posted:

It all depends on whether the game is able to recognize the controller as a 360 controller or just a normal gamepad. For some unknown reason, Microsoft decided that the triggers should function as an analog axis, so pressing both the left and right trigger fully is the same as not pressing any trigger at all. However, if the game does some 360-controller-only magic, it works.

The custom drivers do work, but it's a bit of a hassle to get them up and running properly.
Prince of Persia and other games that as far as I know weren't designed with the Xbox 360 controller in mind work fine mapping the triggers though.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

raezr posted:

Prince of Persia and other games that as far as I know weren't designed with the Xbox 360 controller in mind work fine mapping the triggers though.

Prince of Persia (the new one) is specifically designed to work with the 360 controller. It even has 360-specific button prompts if you play with one. Psychonauts was released before the 360 controller existed, so it does not support it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

AG3 posted:

I'm not sure if GoG did much with the Fallout games

They're patched to the latest version and decensored, IIRC.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Weedle posted:

Prince of Persia (the new one) is specifically designed to work with the 360 controller. It even has 360-specific button prompts if you play with one. Psychonauts was released before the 360 controller existed, so it does not support it.
Oops, I meant Sands of Time, which I'm pretty certain was made without knowledge of the 360's existence. Other games like Spelunky which just use generic gamepad software (as far as I know) also support mapping triggers.

Ansob. posted:

They're patched to the latest version and decensored, IIRC.
They officially provide the latest official versions, but the staff put together a bunch of info about 3rd party mods on their forums if you want those.

tankadillo fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 24, 2010

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

thedaian posted:

Halloween Harry is freeware at this point. It might go by a different name though. I'm less certain of Jazz Jackrabbit's status.

Halloween Harry aka Alien Carnage is right here, near the top.

I've no loving clue who owns the rights to Jazz Jackrabbit now since I'm pretty sure the original developers have disbanded and/or sold the license to some unknown hacks (resulting in that godawful GBA series 'reboot' that thankfully nobody bought).

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I've no loving clue who owns the rights to Jazz Jackrabbit now since I'm pretty sure the original developers have disbanded and/or sold the license to some unknown hacks (resulting in that godawful GBA series 'reboot' that thankfully nobody bought).
http://www.epicclassics.com/order.html :v:

7th Legion was pretty cool

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Speaking of Jazz, ever wonder what happened to the artist behind JJ2's cutscenes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR7vE6l1MN0

No idea when this'll ever see release, the dude seems to drop off the radar for months, sometimes years at a time. He's also been working on a solo animated movie project for the last eight goddamn years or so.

Every time I see his work in motion though, I'm impressed. even if it is all furries

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits

Threep posted:

http://www.epicclassics.com/order.html :v:

7th Legion was pretty cool

Wow I love a lot of the games on that list. It'd be fun as hell to play Solar Winds, Jill of the Jungle and Dare to Dream for ten minutes, lose interest and forget about them all over again. Actually I'd probably still play the poo poo out of Solar Winds, that game was awesome all around.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
GOG announcement hint: "The return of incredible karmic awareness."

Some guy thinks it's The return of incredible karmic awareness, but I dunno. Doesn't seem like that fits in with the "biggest announcement ever in the GOG history" thing one of their team said on the forums.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
Well they have another clue about the count down.

The return of incredibly karmic awareness.

There's also a possible clue in the first letters of the Expect the Unexcelled.

About two more days...

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Arcanum?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Overwined posted:

Arcanum?

Possibly Temple of Elemental Evil and Vampire: Bloodlines too. Not that the latter is that interesting, since it's on Steam already.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Overwined posted:

Arcanum?

That'd be the only thing that stands out. Of course, wandering wikipedia eventually landed me back at the page for inXile, and sad for Brian Fargo, and how far he fell when I one day mistakenly bought The Bard's Tale and then cried.

vvv - well I hope they added a great deal to it. IIRC the cheapo versions that have been out there for a while ran fine on modern pcs. I have one at home somewhere.

glug fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 25, 2010

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Yeah, it is Arcanum. It fits too perfectly.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I think it has a be a few games and not just one, even if it is arcanum, a big front page count down is a bit much.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Troika has the problem of never having the same publisher twice, so maybe we're seeing something more than Arcanum

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

raezr posted:

Look for a program called Xpadder. It was free up until about a year ago, and you can still find the free version around the internet. It's $10 to buy now, with all future updates free, and totally worth it. It runs in the background and intercepts controller inputs, translating them to whatever you want. That includes the 360 pad's analog triggers.

For Psychonauts, I just told Xpadder to make the triggers report as two keyboard keys, which were mapped to the functions I wanted in-game. The rest of the gamepad worked just fine in game already, so I only had Xpadder handling those two buttons. Played through twice that way, completely seamless.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

MrBims posted:

Yeah, it is Arcanum. It fits too perfectly.

I'd be so loving pissed; I paid $20 for that a month ago.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Wasn't Arcanum published by Sierra? Which is now owned by Activision?

Activision coming on board would be massive news especially if they opened the floodgates on old Sierra games.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 25, 2010

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
I produce infinite faggotry
So are we ever going to see Dungeon Keeper up on this, or Steam, or anywhere? Or is EA just going to be stingy as gently caress with its defunct properties.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

hammeredspace posted:

So are we ever going to see Dungeon Keeper up on this, or Steam, or anywhere? Or is EA just going to be stingy as gently caress with its defunct properties.

EA has shown no sign of wanting to release any old games from studios it's acquired.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
on Facebook: "More clues! Where history overlaps with the present time."

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Oh yeah. That's Arcanum. Which is actually cool because I borrowed a friend's copy years ago and played it for a month, but was never really able to find it after that. A DD version would be great.

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy
I hope they get the Wing Commander series sometime soon. I would buy every single one.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

Blodskur posted:

GOG announcement hint: "The return of incredible karmic awareness."

Some guy thinks it's The return of incredible karmic awareness, but I dunno. Doesn't seem like that fits in with the "biggest announcement ever in the GOG history" thing one of their team said on the forums.

This reference, plus the history one could easily be an Ultima reference, too, since karma and virtue was a big part of the games and the plot premise of the Ultima:Worlds of Adventure was essentially history overlapping.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

ChrisAsmadi posted:

This reference, plus the history one could easily be an Ultima reference, too, since karma and virtue was a big part of the games and the plot premise of the Ultima:Worlds of Adventure was essentially history overlapping.

Uh it's Troika and the game is probably Arcanum as the last dozen posts have deduced

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I would cry if it was for all of the old Origin stuff, including Knights of Legend, but of course not forgetting the most awesome game ever made, Ultima IV. However, I think the last hint seals the deal:

Rhymes with smarcanum.

(PS: if it really is NOT arcanum and NOT troika, that is the most brilliant set of false leads to drop. Kudos)

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

Nthman posted:

I hope they get the Wing Commander series sometime soon. I would buy every single one.

Absolutely, I would too. I already own most of the games, but I'd pay $15 or so for a compilation of every one of them if they were tweaked for modern PCs. I still think that the Kilrathi Saga set (WC I-III) is one of the best game purchases I ever made, especially when you consider what it's worth now. WCIV is still great to watch (although only so so to play). A guy compiled 2 files for WC III and IV (can't find this one) so you can watch it like a movie. Definitely worth it for nostalgia and for the actors (Mark Hamill on Wing Commander and other games).

That said, aren't there other sites out there currently posting them as abandonware? I found at least a few claiming to with a simple search, so EA probably thinks there's no demand for it.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
If it is indeed Arcanum, I have no problem buying it when it drops. Been wanting to play that for years.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

hammeredspace posted:

My theory was the karma thing tied into Black and White.

So it's not impossible.

But it looks like the other clues prove me wrong.

Morganus_Starr
Jan 28, 2001
Quick question..does the GoG Riven release support widescreen resolutions?

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Morganus_Starr posted:

No, and seeing as Riven is entirely pre-rendered I would assume that would be impossible to add.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Morganus_Starr posted:

No, only 640x480 as far as I know (I bought it last weekend and there's only an option to turn 640x480 on or off. I didn't notice any difference between those though).

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

StickySweater posted:

Absolutely, I would too. I already own most of the games, but I'd pay $15 or so for a compilation of every one of them if they were tweaked for modern PCs. I still think that the Kilrathi Saga set (WC I-III) is one of the best game purchases I ever made, especially when you consider what it's worth now. WCIV is still great to watch (although only so so to play). A guy compiled 2 files for WC III and IV (can't find this one) so you can watch it like a movie. Definitely worth it for nostalgia and for the actors (Mark Hamill on Wing Commander and other games).

That said, aren't there other sites out there currently posting them as abandonware? I found at least a few claiming to with a simple search, so EA probably thinks there's no demand for it.
Wow, thanks for that. I know what I'm watching tonight.
Here is a link to the news story that has both WC3 and WC4 movie files posted:
http://www.wcnews.com/news/3677

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

While the clues point to Arcanum, a countdown timer and whatnot is pretty overboard for what was ultimately a mediocre game. Even if it's Troika's entire catalog, Vampire is already on Steam and TOEE has a lot of problems.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma

Zachack posted:

While the clues point to Arcanum, a countdown timer and whatnot is pretty overboard for what was ultimately a mediocre game. Even if it's Troika's entire catalog, Vampire is already on Steam and TOEE has a lot of problems.

Thats how I feel. They've been hyping this since November and its just Troika? They should have at least said its not Planescape earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Zachack posted:

I agree with you and it almost makes me think we're getting more than one significant release. After all "Expect the unexcelled" doesn't really fit into Arcanum as far as I can tell.

I'd be pretty stoked with Arcanum nonetheless, though I can't help but agree that the fanfare is a bit much for just that one game.