Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

You probably need to clean the litter more often and add a new one or two boxes. It might also be a problem of the bruised junk, but meanwhile you should try giving him as much choices as possible. You can also try Cat Attract. Here's a pretty easy solution meanwhile though: pick up your clothes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

nonanone posted:

You probably need to clean the litter more often and add a new one or two boxes. It might also be a problem of the bruised junk, but meanwhile you should try giving him as much choices as possible. You can also try Cat Attract. Here's a pretty easy solution meanwhile though: pick up your clothes.

The clothes are no longer an option for him...what has me worried is that today after getting home, he literally just squatted right in front of me in the middle of the room all ready to take a piss if I hadn't freaked out at him.

I'm definitely getting a second litter box and I'll pick up Cat Attract while I'm at it. I scoop the litter about every 36 hours but I'll clean it more often if that might be the problem.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
2 cats, 1 litter box cleaned every 36 hours? This might be the problem. Maybe he finally got sick of a nasty litter box. He's probably peeing in front of you like "Yeah, this is what happens when you don't clean my box often enough!"

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

d3rt posted:

2 cats, 1 litter box cleaned every 36 hours?

That's my estimate. I scoop it whenever I notice considerable use. Sometimes it's a day, sometimes it's twice a day sometimes it's a day and a half.

BIOJECT
May 12, 2006
My cat has a urinary infection and has been peeing in various places around the apartment. I now have her on a different diet recommended by my local vet. For some reason she only pees on flat hard surfaces making cleanup a breeze. Why does my cat prefer hard surfaces over carpet?

Also my cat likes to stare at me for great lengths of time. It's kind of creepy. Why is this?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Fire In The Disco posted:

Done! Thanks for the write-up, Eggplant Wizard! If there's anything you want to add to it or if you want to revise it, let me know! :D

Woah. I only vaguely remember writing that. I've only done an introduction like once so if anyone reads that and thinks I've forgotten/understated something, please correct me.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

This thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3236935

has good advice on how to deal with going out of the litterbox.

Bioject, your cat may associate soft/litter feel with pain, and so chooses to go on hard surfaces. Your cat stares at you because she's plotting your demise.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

chippy posted:

I'm having trouble with my 4/5 month old kitten making GBS threads next to the tray. Litter training was a pain with him anyway, I had to put him in a pen until he got it, but eventually he was fine. Then over christmas a couple of things happened - a change of food which gave him the violent shits (he's sensitive to something in it), and a change of litter, because I literally can't find the one I was using anywhere, anymore. Over this period he stopped pooing in the tray. He's back on his old food, and I've found a litter that's as close to the old one as I can find, but he's not using it. He knows what it's for, he pees in it just fine, and buries the pee (which is odd, because when he shat in the tray, he wouldn't bury piss, just hop on, go and hop off again), but he shits right next to the tray. It's like he knows that's where he should be going but just doesn't want to for some reason. Does anyone have any suggestions? It's starting to drive me a little bit mental.

You might try a different type/size of box. I have 3 different boxes, and there is one box in particular that seems to get poo poo 'just outside' of occasionally. I guess it's a little too small, or they don't like the litter guard, or the color is bad, or something. I ought to replace it with one of the other types of boxes I have that is less offensive to dear delicate kitties.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I got my first pet! Her name is Abby and she is 4 years old:

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)

BIOJECT posted:

Why does my cat prefer hard surfaces over carpet?

Count yourself lucky. Any time Ed has a hairball, needs to vomit, anything, she will dash for the nearest carpet. It doesn't matter if she's comfortable on a tile or hard-wood floor, she will make sure to get to a rug. Luckily she doesn't vomit or anything like that very often, but goddamn, why can't she just be nice about it? :argh:

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
So I got Abby Tuesday, and I'm a little worried that she might not be eating enough. I've just been free feeding her Wellness CORE, and giving half a can of wet a day. She only chomps a little of the wet when I give it, and I haven't caught her eating too much of the dry, but she could be doing that when I'm away.

Should I switch to timed feeding, so I can see that when I put out food, she goes and eats it? If she's still bouncy and pooping and all that should I worry quite yet? Or at least should I go and get other foods to try?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Abbeh posted:

Count yourself lucky. Any time Ed has a hairball, needs to vomit, anything, she will dash for the nearest carpet. It doesn't matter if she's comfortable on a tile or hard-wood floor, she will make sure to get to a rug. Luckily she doesn't vomit or anything like that very often, but goddamn, why can't she just be nice about it? :argh:

Mine goes for rugs too. Not carpets, specifically rugs. I've just given up on having one in my living room.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm babysitting my roommate's cats (one male, one female, both of them a little over a year old) for seven months while she's on a military deployment. These fuckers are unruly, do not respond to discipline/rewards, and wake me up far too early in the morning. I hate their guts and if I had my way I would give them to a shelter.

But I can't do that, because they are not my cats, so I'm asking this thread for help.

Recently I switched from a little tray to an enclosed dome with a swinging door and moved the litter box from the bathroom to a storage closet not two feet away so I would no longer have to worry about perforated shower curtains and litter bits all over the bathroom floor. The transition was remarkably easy and caused no problems whatsoever for a while.

Sometime later, I noticed a dark spot on the floor (thick, old carpet) between the bathroom and the closet. One of the cats have peed there! I'm not sure if both of them do it or if it's just the female, because it appeared there when she was in heat and so far she is the only one I caught in the act.

I really have no idea what to do. How do you stop a cat that has no sense of discipline from peeing where it isn't supposed to? I caught the female in the act and punished her accordingly. The following night I noticed she peed in the box, so I rewarded her with praise and food, but she still pisses in that loving spot.

I have tried everything in my power (short of renting a shampooer) to clean it up: That enzyme poo poo and other pet waste cleaners, various other cleaners, vinegar and citrus juice in hopes it repels them from the spot. I don't know what to do; the spot grows bigger and wetter every day and the apartment is starting to smell awful. Today I just gave up. I sprayed the spot with citrus pet stain cleaner, dried it the best I could, and plopped the litter box on top of it. The cat(s) have won.

What do I do?

To get some anticipated questions out of the way:
- A vet appointment has been made for tomorrow.
- She has since been spayed.
- As far as I know, the other cat doesn't terrorize her when she attempts to use the litter.
- This is the only spot in the apartment she's going.
- She still uses the litterbox along with this spot.
- It doesn't seem to matter how often I clean the litter, and they have been using just one (smaller) box for a year or so before I moved in here.
- We're renting, so tearing up the carpet isn't an option.

It's driving me loving crazy. Help me catgoons!

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 28, 2010

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Mak0rz posted:

Oh my goodness. You're doing everything right to be honest cats are just frustrating sometimes. :( I know you said you tried the pet enzyme stuff but do you know the name of it? People in PI swear by this stuff called Nature's Miracle. It eliminates the smell unbelievably well too.

Good on you for making a vet appointment, if they don't find anything wrong there then hopefully Nature's Miracle will work out for you.

As for them being unruly jerks. Don't let those assholes nap during the day. Keep them awake and rile them up once they try. It will hopefully keep them quieter at night and in the morning.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Mak0rz posted:

What do I do?

There are a few common reasons that cats start peeing somewhere else. One is medical - they associate the litter box with the pain they're experiencing and try other surfaces. Another is stress, which could factor into it since you just moved everything around. A third would be some sort of resource guarding with multiple cats - if one of them is lying in wait outside the covered litter box or scaring the other one off, the other will quickly learn to go elsewhere. Last, there are just picky cats who decide they need different litter or a cleaner box.

You've addressed a couple of these- it doesn't seem like she's being attacked (but you're not always there, so a one-off is still a possibility), and you have a vet appointment. One other cheap fix suggestion would be to get a second litter box (a Sterilite container from Big Lots works well, it has high walls and would keep most of the tracking down). Slightly pricier would be the Cat Attract litter or litter additive, which has worked wonders for a lot of finicky cats around here.

In conjunction with this, you need a way to keep them from resoiling that spot until the enzymatic cleaners (Nature's Miracle works pretty well) have a chance to act and dry fully (a few days to a week). If you can't restrict the cats from that room, putting an upside-down laundry basket over it might work, after going over the spot as best you can and pointing a fan on it. I like having a Little Green Machine for this sort of clean up, but it's obviously not necessary.

Finally, cats don't respond that well to punishing them when caught in the act of peeing inappropriately - it might just make her weirder about peeing altogether, so I would try not to react to it, just pick her up and move her to her box if you notice her going in the wrong place.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I need some help with my girlfriends cat. The best way to sum him up is that he is a giant rear end in a top hat.

If he wants food he will meow loudly and scratch at anything he can find.

Sometimes he will scratch just to get attention, then run away or ignore any toys.

We tried saran wrapping the dresser he was attacking, which worked, so we removed it and he went back to it and then expanded the scratching to the cabinets and all the bookcases. So we can't really saran wrap/tape every scratchable surface in the house.

And if he doesn't get what he wants he will go pee in the shower to prove a point. He will only do it when we are around and not giving into his demands.

I really don't know what we can do with him.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Er, quick question. My cat just went to the vet to get snipped today, and he still has his ball sack, sans balls. The skin from his scrotum is still there, like a wee deflated balloon. What happens to it? Does it fall off? Suck up into his body? I'm just...I thought they just lopped the whole thing off, and stitched up the incision. I don't want to find ball jerky on my floor. Help!

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
His sack will stay there, just fine. I forget the science of it but I gather the balls are small enough or something that they can get them out pretty easily without serious damage to the outside

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Chin Strap posted:

So I got Abby Tuesday, and I'm a little worried that she might not be eating enough. I've just been free feeding her Wellness CORE, and giving half a can of wet a day. She only chomps a little of the wet when I give it, and I haven't caught her eating too much of the dry, but she could be doing that when I'm away.

Should I switch to timed feeding, so I can see that when I put out food, she goes and eats it? If she's still bouncy and pooping and all that should I worry quite yet? Or at least should I go and get other foods to try?

I took food away from her from 7am to 7pm yesterday, and I put a new bowl of food down, and she wouldn't even take a bite. I bought some different food yesterday evening and put that down instead and she ate a few bites. As of noon today she hadn't even had 1/3 of a cup of the new food, so I bought some more different food, and she ate a few bites and is wandering about now :(

Do some cats just graze for a while? I've tried Wellness CORE, then Chicken Soup, and now Innova EVO. When should I start to be worried about her? If she isn't lethargic and still pooping is she maybe just getting full quicker than I thought?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Kerfuffle posted:

As for them being unruly jerks. Don't let those assholes nap during the day. Keep them awake and rile them up once they try. It will hopefully keep them quieter at night and in the morning.

They're quiet at night, they just wake me up in the morning because they can't wait an hour to get their god drat food.

Engineer Lenk posted:

There are a few common reasons that cats start peeing somewhere else. One is medical - they associate the litter box with the pain they're experiencing and try other surfaces.

Went to the vet today, but they couldn't retrieve any urine. Another appointment is made for Monday morning. They don't suspect urine infection, but it couldn't hurt to investigate.

Engineer Lenk posted:

Another is stress, which could factor into it since you just moved everything around.

Things weren't moved far (literally no more than three feet) and the problem began quite a while after the changes were made. She's probably a little stressed because she gets sprayed with the squirt bottle an awful lot, but if she would get the gently caress off the kitchen counters when I'm in the middle of making supper we wouldn't have that problem.

Engineer Lenk posted:

A third would be some sort of resource guarding with multiple cats - if one of them is lying in wait outside the covered litter box or scaring the other one off, the other will quickly learn to go elsewhere. Last, there are just picky cats who decide they need different litter or a cleaner box.

Her brother, as mischievous as he is, minds his own business while she's in the can. Unless they're doing this at night, litterbox terrorism isn't an issue. I have tried changing the litter and making modifications to the box, but that doesn't help either. She still uses the box on a regular basis, she just carpet-pisses occasionally but I have no idea what her motivation is for doing that.

Engineer Lenk posted:

One other cheap fix suggestion would be to get a second litter box (a Sterilite container from Big Lots works well, it has high walls and would keep most of the tracking down).

Yeah, the vet suggested this as well. But even so, getting a second box won't help unless I find a way to get that cat urine out of the carpet.

Engineer Lenk posted:

I like having a Little Green Machine for this sort of clean up, but it's obviously not necessary.

The vet also recommended one of those Little Green Machines. I really should get my hands on one of those. She also gave me this pet cleaner, Anodel, that apparently works wonders.

Engineer Lenk posted:

Finally, cats don't respond that well to punishing them when caught in the act of peeing inappropriately - it might just make her weirder about peeing altogether, so I would try not to react to it, just pick her up and move her to her box if you notice her going in the wrong place.

I gave her a little flick on the nose (the squirt bottle was both empty and out of reach) and then promptly put her in the litterbox. If these cats have enough cognitive ability to associate burning pee with a litterbox, why the heck can't they seem to associate punishment with peeing on the carpet (and, likewise, rewards after peeing in the right place)?

I just don't understand cats :psyduck:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 29, 2010

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Demon_Corsair posted:

I need some help with my girlfriends cat. The best way to sum him up is that he is a giant rear end in a top hat.

If he wants food he will meow loudly and scratch at anything he can find.

Sometimes he will scratch just to get attention, then run away or ignore any toys.

We tried saran wrapping the dresser he was attacking, which worked, so we removed it and he went back to it and then expanded the scratching to the cabinets and all the bookcases. So we can't really saran wrap/tape every scratchable surface in the house.

And if he doesn't get what he wants he will go pee in the shower to prove a point. He will only do it when we are around and not giving into his demands.

I really don't know what we can do with him.

He sounds bored as gently caress. Do you guys play with him and give him attention? Would getting him a cat friend be a possibility?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Mak0rz posted:

I gave her a little flick on the nose (the squirt bottle was both empty and out of reach) and then promptly put her in the litterbox. If these cats have enough cognitive ability to associate burning pee with a litterbox, why the heck can't they seem to associate punishment with peeing on the carpet (and, likewise, rewards after peeing in the right place)?

I just don't understand cats :psyduck:

Cats are a little trickier because they associate you with the punishment/reward in conjunction with the action. If you take a training tool like Ssscat, it will scare the crap out of the cat every single time it gets on the surface it's not supposed to be on until it runs out. Because that reinforcement happens every time, and they can't see the thing that's punishing them before they hop up and it happens, they quickly learn not to go there. Same thing with burning pee. Burning pee happens every time they go in their litterbox for a short while, so they start peeing elsewhere. If your method depends on you seeing the cat do something before it gets punished, it'll quickly learn to do it when you're not around.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Chin Strap posted:

I took food away from her from 7am to 7pm yesterday, and I put a new bowl of food down, and she wouldn't even take a bite. I bought some different food yesterday evening and put that down instead and she ate a few bites. As of noon today she hadn't even had 1/3 of a cup of the new food, so I bought some more different food, and she ate a few bites and is wandering about now :(

Do some cats just graze for a while? I've tried Wellness CORE, then Chicken Soup, and now Innova EVO. When should I start to be worried about her? If she isn't lethargic and still pooping is she maybe just getting full quicker than I thought?

If it were my cat, I'd be worried. It could be that she has stomach pain or mouth pain (or something) that is making her not want to eat. Cats hide pain/illness as long as possible. So while she looks and acts normal, her not eating is a huge red flag.

Or maybe you cat is just weird. I think a trip to the vet would at the very least ease your mind, and at best, fix a medical problem.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

HondaCivet posted:

He sounds bored as gently caress. Do you guys play with him and give him attention? Would getting him a cat friend be a possibility?

We try, but half the time he just ignores the toys. Except the laser pointer, but he would go loving insane if we use the pointer. He could constantly demand that we use it. Even if he wasn't planning on chasing it.

We are looking into getting him a dog friend. Last time we went on vacation he stayed at a house with a dog and they got along well. So I know he is cool with them.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Meow Cadet posted:

If it were my cat, I'd be worried. It could be that she has stomach pain or mouth pain (or something) that is making her not want to eat. Cats hide pain/illness as long as possible. So while she looks and acts normal, her not eating is a huge red flag.

Or maybe you cat is just weird. I think a trip to the vet would at the very least ease your mind, and at best, fix a medical problem.

She had her initial vet visit today and I brought it up. He said that she looked fine, and that it isn't unusual for the first week or so for them to eat less due to nervousness.

Also she seems to be eating a bit more of the EVO, so hopefully I've got a hit.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Chin Strap posted:

Also she seems to be eating a bit more of the EVO, so hopefully I've got a hit.

Based on my experience with owning cats, sometimes they can just be incredibly and frustratingly picky with food, and as your vet said, nervousness can have something to do with it.

My mother currently has 4 cats, 2 of which will eat everything and anything put on a plate for them when they get fed, doesn't matter if they've eaten the same flavor 10 weeks in a row. The other 2 are prone to walking away totally randomly and arbitrarily. One day they'll scarf something down, and a week later they'll ignore the same exact flavor and just eat dry food later instead of the wet. Sometimes they'll eat Wellness and then only eat Blue Buffalo and then not eat either, no rhyme or reason.

Some cats are just weird.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Engineer Lenk posted:

Cats are a little trickier because they associate you with the punishment/reward in conjunction with the action. If you take a training tool like Ssscat, it will scare the crap out of the cat every single time it gets on the surface it's not supposed to be on until it runs out. Because that reinforcement happens every time, and they can't see the thing that's punishing them before they hop up and it happens, they quickly learn not to go there. Same thing with burning pee. Burning pee happens every time they go in their litterbox for a short while, so they start peeing elsewhere. If your method depends on you seeing the cat do something before it gets punished, it'll quickly learn to do it when you're not around.

Ugh, gently caress cats.

I should get my hands on those Ssscat things. I can probably put an array of them around her pee spot or something. I'm between jobs right now, so hopefully I can hold off until then. They seem pretty expensive.

Firequirks
Apr 15, 2007

Have another look at the training section of the FAQ at the beginning of this thread. There are maybe some other (cheaper) tools you could use. Put tinfoil down in that area? Maybe an upside-down office mat? Maybe you'll get some ideas on what would work best for you after you get an idea of the particular training methods that cats require. :)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Firequirks posted:

There are maybe some other (cheaper) tools you could use. Put tinfoil down in that area?

Tried it. They love tinfoil. The male cat likes to tear it up and play with it, while the female just kinda walks over it as if it isn't there.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
My dad called me the other day and said his cat seemed constipated and was going to the litter box a lot without making any poop and less pee than usual. I said to feed her some pumpkin and/or plain yogurt, and to make a vet appointment in case it was crystals. Here's the followup. Could use more advice.

Eggplant Wizard's Dad posted:

Well the pumkin seemed to help a little, but she was still straining, so I took her to the vet, who did an ultrasound, no crystals, and gave me science diet cat food spiel and something to counteract inflammation. This morning right after feeding with the new food she went to the litter box and did much more normal poop and pee (I don't know if I believe that it worked that quickly). There is also the possibilty that with no roommates around and my working too much, she wanted some attention, and a nice trip out to the vets (she didn't complain and behaved really well).

But now I'm worried about the medicine, it is Metacam, .2ml once a day, for four days. The web is full of horror stories about it especially for small cats. Not sure if I should continue with it or not?

Lily, the cat in question, is seriously small-- maybe 5-7 pounds? Right now I'm going to suggest continuing according to the vet's advice and probably calling around other vets to see if they feel OK about Metacam. Does anyone have any experience with it?

tldr: What's Metacam, could it have made her constipation better in 1 day, and is it dangerous?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Mak0rz posted:

Tried it. They love tinfoil. The male cat likes to tear it up and play with it, while the female just kinda walks over it as if it isn't there.

We have this problem too. Zero has been peeing in the corner in the living room, and we suspect that the other cat (who has NEVER, in 13 years of owning her, peed indoors) is reciprocating in some kind of piss war. Tried the tinfoil and Zero just clawed it up into little balls and kicked it around. Coffee kept her away for a few days with it's strong smell, but it also stained the carpet a bit. Carpet cleaner, supposedly with enzymes? Nah, she went back to the spot a day later. If you catch her just before hand and say her name sternly then she'll meow and walk off, it's weird.

The only consolation is that it doesn't smell like cat piss. No one has walked in our house and gone "gah it smells like cat piss in here".

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Our cat currently seems constipated or something, he's walking around with a bit of turd still there. Um...is this normal?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Duckman2008 posted:

Our cat currently seems constipated or something, he's walking around with a bit of turd still there. Um...is this normal?

Er . . . is he straining to poop or did he just leave a little bit of mess on himself? If he's straining then give him some canned pumpkin (not the pie filling) in his food for now and get him to the vet tomorrow. Otherwise then your cat is just a poopybutt I guess. It happens.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

HondaCivet posted:

Er . . . is he straining to poop or did he just leave a little bit of mess on himself? If he's straining then give him some canned pumpkin (not the pie filling) in his food for now and get him to the vet tomorrow. Otherwise then your cat is just a poopybutt I guess. It happens.

We think iys just because he's a long hari and it got caught on on his butt (i dearly hoe). My g/f gave his butt a haircut, i am hoping that that worked!

plateau need ROIDS!
Apr 14, 2009
I've got a question.

My family recently adopted a 5 month old female white medium hair kitten (she looks like an Angora--maybe?). We have at home a 6 month old male neutered tabby whom we've had since he was 8 weeks old. The female kitty is too young/little for a spay and we are taking her back to the shelter in a month for the procedure.

The male is a feisty fellow--always plays rough with us, and bites our hands and feet. We've always had trouble getting him to stop. We figured another cat would calm him down and teach him some kitty social skills.

We kept the kitties separated for 24 hours and tried a meeting--he hissed at her (first time we've ever heard him hiss) and tried to swat her. We kept them separate again. She on the other hand seemed to have no interest. Second meeting, he shows no aggression only playfulness. He approaches her with tail wagging ready to play--she won't have it though. He then pounces on her, holds her down and bites. It hasn't been too long (only 3 days) so we plan on keeping them separate longer.

My question is: if the male kitty is not exhibiting signs of aggression and only wants to play, how do we get him to stop playing rough with her? The new female is somewhat passive and only runs from him. If he catches her, she yowls real bad and squirms away. Is this natural? Can we trust that the male kitty will eventually learn to go easy on her? Should we keep them separate longer? Any advice would be welcome.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"
Might just be a dominance thing. They'll probably eventually work it out, although he shouldn't be biting hands and fingers. When he bites you, one thing you can do is cram your hand farther into his mouth until he's forced to disengage. That way, instead of reacting to a bite where he gets a thrill out of it and you get mad, instead it makes him dislike the act of biting itself.

They'll probably still bite some because young cats are assholes, though. My males are full grown and they still play really, really rough. They never bite me, though, only each other.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

plateau need ROIDS! posted:

I've got a question.

My family recently adopted a 5 month old female white medium hair kitten (she looks like an Angora--maybe?). We have at home a 6 month old male neutered tabby whom we've had since he was 8 weeks old. The female kitty is too young/little for a spay and we are taking her back to the shelter in a month for the procedure.

The male is a feisty fellow--always plays rough with us, and bites our hands and feet. We've always had trouble getting him to stop. We figured another cat would calm him down and teach him some kitty social skills.

We kept the kitties separated for 24 hours and tried a meeting--he hissed at her (first time we've ever heard him hiss) and tried to swat her. We kept them separate again. She on the other hand seemed to have no interest. Second meeting, he shows no aggression only playfulness. He approaches her with tail wagging ready to play--she won't have it though. He then pounces on her, holds her down and bites. It hasn't been too long (only 3 days) so we plan on keeping them separate longer.

My question is: if the male kitty is not exhibiting signs of aggression and only wants to play, how do we get him to stop playing rough with her? The new female is somewhat passive and only runs from him. If he catches her, she yowls real bad and squirms away. Is this natural? Can we trust that the male kittyn will be liyeventually learn to go easy on her? Should we keep them separate longer? Any advice would be welcome.
Wagging his tale in a cat is normally a sign of an impending attack. If they are playful or curious they will hold it straight up, but back and forth is nervous or aggressive. Not to say attacking can't be play.
When he bites you try making a high pitched yelp like he hurt you and move completely away from him. That's a way to socialize him that that biting isn't appropriate play. Getting him a playmate was a good idea and it will help, it's just going to take time and she won't be little forever.
For now you can try getting some feliway, it works on many cats and they carry it on ebay and most pet stores, it often helps with introductions. Keep the cats in separate rooms and then swap bedding and towels so they can get each others scent. When you do introduce them keep them focused more on playing side by side and treats so they don't go after each other. It's tough but it will be worth it.
She will eventually set her boundaries with him as she grows. Cats are normally pretty good at sorting these things out.

Doc_Uzuki
Jun 27, 2007

ChairmanMeow posted:

Wagging his tale in a cat is normally a sign of an impending attack. If they are playful or curious they will hold it straight up, but back and forth is nervous or aggressive. Not to say attacking can't be play.
When he bites you try making a high pitched yelp like he hurt you and move completely away from him. That's a way to socialize him that that biting isn't appropriate play. Getting him a playmate was a good idea and it will help, it's just going to take time and she won't be little forever.
For now you can try getting some feliway, it works on many cats and they carry it on ebay and most pet stores, it often helps with introductions. Keep the cats in separate rooms and then swap bedding and towels so they can get each others scent. When you do introduce them keep them focused more on playing side by side and treats so they don't go after each other. It's tough but it will be worth it.
She will eventually set her boundaries with him as she grows. Cats are normally pretty good at sorting these things out.

I also need to hear from other goons that everything is going to be alright. We adopted a 6 week old black shorthair last spring and this last month we decided to get him a little 10 week old sister. Bruce, the older cat, has also always been a biter despite our best efforts. We waited about 1.5 weeks to introduce the two kitties and there was no hissing or growling. Now, while we are home, we always have both out. Sometimes they will chase each other around, other times ignore one another, but a couple times a day Bruce will pin the younger cat down and bite her. We are scared that leaving them out during the day while we are at work will result in an injured or tormented cat. We make a loud sound or clap our hands when we here the smaller cat yelp in pain and we are also using a feliway diffuser. Will this resolve itself as the younger kitten gets older and can fend for herself? My girlfriend is very upset over this whole process and I need to give her some assurance that it will work out.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Doc_Uzuki posted:

I also need to hear from other goons that everything is going to be alright. We adopted a 6 week old black shorthair last spring and this last month we decided to get him a little 10 week old sister. Bruce, the older cat, has also always been a biter despite our best efforts. We waited about 1.5 weeks to introduce the two kitties and there was no hissing or growling. Now, while we are home, we always have both out. Sometimes they will chase each other around, other times ignore one another, but a couple times a day Bruce will pin the younger cat down and bite her. We are scared that leaving them out during the day while we are at work will result in an injured or tormented cat. We make a loud sound or clap our hands when we here the smaller cat yelp in pain and we are also using a feliway diffuser. Will this resolve itself as the younger kitten gets older and can fend for herself? My girlfriend is very upset over this whole process and I need to give her some assurance that it will work out.

6 weeks is pretty young (we hope for 8-12 weeks here). That means he probably missed out on some socialization with mom & siblings-- which is to say, he missed the part where you learn how hard it's okay to bite. Your new kitty will teach him this in time, by yelping. It will probably still happen sometimes. It isn't a problem unless he's drawing blood or she starts exhibiting signs of stress (peeing in the wrong place, hiding in one place for a day or more and refusing to come out, not eating, etc.). You'd both do better to stay out of it and let them settle it. You guys yelping and stopping the fight is probably just confusing him- he isn't sure who he's hurting or how.

My cat is BFFs with my roommate's cat, and he really likes playing with her and tries to make her chase him, but even he sometimes yelps alarmingly when they play. She hasn't really decided to bite gentler yet :rolleyes: but it seems to be all right most of the time, and he's happy and still seeks her out for play.

Tldr, yelping and squalling isn't the end of the world. Let them sort it out and the kitten will learn to give as good as she gets, or Bruce will learn where the limits are in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Okay, the cat just got back from the vet. Apparently she has a raging bladder infection :gonk:

She's on antibiotics, painkillers, and a new diet. Let's hope she'll turn out okay. I also hope it'll stop her carpet peeing.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 1, 2010