Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Noxville posted:

That's just bizarre that they're not willing to greenlight it unless it's 3D, and bizarre than Aronovsky would rather not make it than do it 3D.

He probably has a very distinct look he wants for the film and making it a proper 3D film will probably ruin it or change it too significantly in one way or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Timby posted:

Pretty sure that I just read that Aronofsky's RoboCop has been put on hold, because the very, very broke MGM wants him to make it in 3D (and probably PG-13, knowing studio morons), and he has no intention of doing so.

Edit: Yep.

This is balls.

Though it's probably better to disappear than to turn out some weird groupthink 3D RoboCop project.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I just rewatched The Exorcist for the first time since I really got into film, and I was amazed at just how much Ghostbusters took from it in terms of dialogue and referencing actual horror. I was actually really impressed with this because it was tone they borrowed from a twisted it into a comedy film without mocking it.

There's at least two bits of dialogue, but I can only recall one. "It's not her bed, it's her brain" directly becomes "It's not the girl, Peter, it's the building". There is another almost direct take later on after that, but I've forgotten it (the film is more intense than I remember). The levitation scenes are obvious, but that use of silence during them both to make them that much more profound is there both times. For me The Exorcist is still the last word in creeping, uneasy dread so as sources to crib from go, I can't fault that. It's never parody. You know Danny is really into that sort of stuff so I'm sure it wasn't coincidental.

Colour-wise they both also feel very similar - purple hues seem to feature a lot in The Exorcist.

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!

echoplex posted:

Colour-wise they both also feel very similar - purple hues seem to feature a lot in The Exorcist.

Wow, I'll have to look for this some more.

My favorite GB lift from The Exorcist is the phone (when her mother calls her)--sudden loud RIIIIIIIIINNGGG that sounds awfully similar to the one in The Exorcist. (Might it be the same one?)

CaptAwesome
Jan 19, 2009

Icon-Cat posted:

Wow, I'll have to look for this some more.

My favorite GB lift from The Exorcist is the phone (when her mother calls her)--sudden loud RIIIIIIIIINNGGG that sounds awfully similar to the one in The Exorcist. (Might it be the same one?)

That's a stock sound effect from the period. It's been in many, many movies and TV shows; so many, in fact, that I remembered reading a short article about it a few years back.

Originally, there was a very obvious reference to "The Exorcist" in "Ghostbusters:" One of the earlier scripts had the "Venkman burn in Hell" graffiti" as "Venkman sucks cocks in Hell," but was changed when it was decided to go for a slightly more family-friendly tone.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Not sure if anyone posted this but:

http://www.cinematical.com/2010/01/13/ivan-reitman-to-direct-ghostbusters-3/

We got some actual news.

quote:

And if that's not good enough news, even Rick Moranis is said to be willing to leave retirement to reprise his role as their accountant, Louis Tully!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

YourEvilTw1n posted:

Not sure if anyone posted this but:

http://www.cinematical.com/2010/01/13/ivan-reitman-to-direct-ghostbusters-3/

We got some actual news.

Moranis is my favorite part of Ghostbusters. The party scene in the first movie is perfect. I could not be more excited about this.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
And this.

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2010/01/13/exclusive-ghostbusters-3-script-is-in-ivan-reitman-confirms-he-will-direct/

quote:

Reitman said that the script from "Year One" writers Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky is in and that a second draft is currently in the works.

Then the bomb dropped. Asked if he would be returning to direct "Ghostbusters III," Reitman answered with a simple and unequivocal "Yes." It's good to see the old gang all getting back together, isn't it?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Reitman bailed on Ghostbusters III back when Aykroyd was doing everything in his power to get the Hellbent script made, so if he's officially directing this one, then the Office guys must have made at least a halfway decent pitch.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Timby posted:

Reitman bailed on Ghostbusters III back when Aykroyd was doing everything in his power to get the Hellbent script made, so if he's officially directing this one, then the Office guys must have made at least a halfway decent pitch.

Just the fact that the script has been going between Ramis and Aykroyd over and over and is still kicking impresses me.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I still can't believe that Year One involved all these people. There's too much talent there for that unfunny pile of poo poo to have been made.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

And this.

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2010/01/13/exclusive-ghostbusters-3-script-is-in-ivan-reitman-confirms-he-will-direct/

quote:

"Year One" writers Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky

gently caress.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I want to be excited but then I think of things like Evolution (which wanted to be the NEW GHOSTBUSTERS FOR THE NEW MILLENIUM so badly it was painful). I would actually be more excited with a different director.

As long as they don't have anyone driving in a car singing along to "Play that funky music white boy" in a CELEBRATORY BONDING SCENE I guess it might be ok.

Noxville posted:

gently caress.
That too.

Roman fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 14, 2010

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Eisenberg and Stupnitsky have written for Curb Your Enthusiasm and The Office, however. I don't think they're total losses.

Look, if the pitch was good enough to get the four guys back together, plus Reitman agreeing to the director's chair (as opposed to him telling Aykroyd, "gently caress off, this is terrible, if you want to make it, go right ahead, but I'll have no part of it," back in 1999, when Hellbent was the script ready to be made) ... I'm willing to hear more.

redz
Sep 19, 2003

What's a not gay way to ask him to go camping with me?

Timby posted:

Eisenberg and Stupnitsky have written for Curb Your Enthusiasm and The Office, however. I don't think they're total losses.

Curb has writers? I thought Larry just wrote short outlines for all the episodes.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Ehud posted:

Moranis is my favorite part of Ghostbusters. The party scene in the first movie is perfect. I could not be more excited about this.

It really is the best scene in the movie. Everything Moranis does in both movies is gold. I wish he'd been in the game.

Cdishwalla
Dec 9, 2003
I'll Never Use it, REally!
This probably shouldn't surprise anyone, but it looks like it'll be 3D.

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/18802

quote:

The obvious is being reported via Market Saw who writes that Columbia Pictures is moving forward with Ghostbusters 3 in 3D, news that isn't all that surprising considering the upward trend. "Yes - I have word from one of my top sources that a friend of his at a certain well known effects house (I can't say who it is, but their initials are ILM) said that GHOSTBUSTERS 3 is proceeding as planned - but - with the added benefit of stereoscopic 3D!"

Not sure how I feel about this. I'll camp out overnight to be first in line for anything called Ghostbusters 3, but I hope they don't pull another GB2 and give the visual effects priority over the story and comedy. And it better be done tastefully, and not "Holy poo poo that ghost just came right at me!" At least they're not tacking it on in post like they're apparently doing with Clash of the Titans.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Timby posted:

Look, if the pitch was good enough to get the four guys back together, plus Reitman agreeing to the director's chair

Hell, if its good enough to drag Moranis out of his self-imposed exile....

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Cdishwalla posted:

This probably shouldn't surprise anyone, but it looks like it'll be 3D.

Also, :words:

What you said. But if it is 3D, I want to see a proton stream shoot out over my head. Ohhhh... would IMAX be too much to hope for? :ohdear:

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
I saw this on the "I'm with Coco" Facebook group...

Terrible graphics work, but it made me smile. Max looks quite a bit like Egon, here.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Ema Nymton posted:

I saw this on the "I'm with Coco" Facebook group...

Terrible graphics work, but it made me smile. Max looks quite a bit like Egon, here.

There is a great photo out there of Conan standing around, staring down the ET prop, with Vigo in the background. I'll try to hunt it down.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cdishwalla posted:

but I hope they don't pull another GB2
If they "pull another GB2", I'll be the happiest man alive when I leave that theater.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

It's weird when you think of Rick Moranis. It's like, your first thought of him is that he's just some B-grade supporting actor, but then if you really think about it, he's been in some truly great, classic, beloved or otherwise ground-breaking films, usually as part of the main cast.

I mean, look:
1) Ghostbusters 1
2) Ghostbusters 2
3) Honey I Shrunk The Kids
4) Little Shop of Horrors
5) Spaceballs
6) Parenthood

He did a lot of kids movies, but those made some serious buck, so I can't blame him. He's generally in great stuff, though. If he shows up in GB3, I will be really happy. :)

v Yeah, I'll give you that one, too. :shobon:

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 26, 2010

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

7) Little Giants

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
8)The Flintstones. :colbert:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
9) Big Bully

It wasn't bad.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
10) My Blue Heaven

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like Strange Brew, and am glad to hear Moranis will be acting again.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

I like Strange Brew, and am glad to hear Moranis will be acting again.

Yes, I am too glad that he is acting again in Ghostbusters, and definitely nothing not related to Ghostbusters.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was having dinner with my father tonight and the subject of Ghostbusters came up. As I was 5 or 6 the first time I saw it I don't remember much of my day to day life but my dad shared this with me. When I was a boy I announced I wanted to be a Paralegal when I grew up. Dad tells me I thought they were like Ghostbusters on with badges, like the police.

I wish my life had turned out how I wanted when I was 6.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Cdishwalla posted:

Not sure how I feel about this. I'll camp out overnight to be first in line for anything called Ghostbusters 3, but I hope they don't pull another GB2 and give the visual effects priority over the story and comedy. And it better be done tastefully, and not "Holy poo poo that ghost just came right at me!" At least they're not tacking it on in post like they're apparently doing with Clash of the Titans.

The first Ghostbusters was kind of like that too, it's probably quite a bit of luck and great chemistry between the cast that caused it to come out as well as it did. IIRC they never had a finished scipt during shooting and didn't have an ending until they thought to reference back to the 'cross the streams' moment while on set, and the effects budget was enormous and unprecedented for a comedy. The effects probably had more planning at the time of shooting than the script did.

CaptAwesome
Jan 19, 2009

Noxville posted:

The first Ghostbusters was kind of like that too, it's probably quite a bit of luck and great chemistry between the cast that caused it to come out as well as it did. IIRC they never had a finished scipt during shooting and didn't have an ending until they thought to reference back to the 'cross the streams' moment while on set, and the effects budget was enormous and unprecedented for a comedy. The effects probably had more planning at the time of shooting than the script did.

I strongly disagree. I think a lot of thought went into the script for the first one, and it shows. I've never read Akyroyd's original script, but it sounds so far removed from what actually appears on the screen. Reitman and Ramis obviously knew what they were doing in how to take the wonderful concept of catching ghosts and ground it in a more realistic and believable setting. I have no idea what the evolution of the second film's script was, but what I've always found strange was the large drop in quality between the first and second film when they're essentially the same movie.

Also, the crossing the streams bit most definitely was not improvised. According to the DVD's liner notes, production on the film began on October of 1983, which is also when the final revision of the shooting script is dated (which the scene does appear in). There's a pretty interesting discussion about the evolution of the script as well as the movie's reliance on special effects. The one anecdote that really sticks out to me was that the movie was screened for a test audience during the post-production stage before many of the effects shots had been completed. Unsurprisingly, the audience still loved the film, even without all the eye candy that the release version had.

I'm not sure if it's been brought up yet, but I would encourage everyone to check the script out for the first one. "Ghostbusters" is usually cited as one of the great comedies to heavily utilize improvisation, but there's actually not that much of it. The actors generally stuck pretty close to what was on the page, and only gave the dialogue slight tweaks here and there to improve the timing and flow. A lot of people seem to assume that Murray, in particular, improvised most of his dialogue, but he actually sticks extremely close to the script--nearly all of his most memorable lines appear verbatim. I'm not sure about SA's policy in regards to linking off-site, but it's rather easy to find using Google.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

CaptAwesome posted:

I'm not sure about SA's policy in regards to linking off-site, but it's rather easy to find using Google.

Just go for it, we like to read.

Also I found the image I referred to a few posts up:

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
And to the left of ET is a Scoleri brother. Both shots are from Conan's hilarious trip to ILM.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

YourEvilTw1n posted:

Just go for it, we like to read.

Also I found the image I referred to a few posts up:

Ugly little spud, isn't he? But the kids love him.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

CaptAwesome posted:

A lot of people seem to assume that Murray, in particular, improvised most of his dialogue, but he actually sticks extremely close to the script--nearly all of his most memorable lines appear verbatim.

Isn't that a lot of what started the feud between Murray and Ramis? I recall reading that Ramis effectively created the persona of Bill Murray through the script, and when Bill became popular he somewhat resented Ramis for it. Then came the butting of heads with Groundhog's Day and they had a falling out.

The flip side is that Moranis pretty much ad libbed half his lines, IIRC.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ugly little spud, isn't he? But the kids love him.

Conan or ET?:smug:

Cdishwalla
Dec 9, 2003
I'll Never Use it, REally!
I love Ghostbusters II, it's probably my second favorite movie ever. But it never felt as loose or down to earth as the original. Sure, there were loads of great lines, but everything else kind of felt by the numbers, as if everybody was still dumbfounded by the success of the original, and didn't want to risk loving it up now that they had this enormous thing on their hands.

Murray briefly discusses the difference in this interview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsZc7v2K3tg&feature=related

And here's how Roger Ebert put it in his review of the original:
"Ghostbusters" is a head-on collision between two comic approaches that have rarely worked together very successfully. This time, they do. It's (1) a special-effects blockbuster, and (2) a sly dialogue movie, in which everybody talks to each other like smart graduate students who are in on the joke....This movie is an exception to the general rule that big special effects can wreck a comedy. Special effects require painstaking detail work. Comedy requires spontaneity and improvisation."

When I originally said that I hope they don't "pull another GB2", I mean I hope they treat it like a comedy with some action and special effects, and not a big special effects-ridden blockbuster with some one-liners. It's the characters and the comedy that keep people coming back after 25 years, not the special effects.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Mortanis posted:

Isn't that a lot of what started the feud between Murray and Ramis? I recall reading that Ramis effectively created the persona of Bill Murray through the script, and when Bill became popular he somewhat resented Ramis for it. Then came the butting of heads with Groundhog's Day and they had a falling out.

The flip side is that Moranis pretty much ad libbed half his lines, IIRC.

Groundhog's Day is quickly becoming my favorite movie. I've re-watched it a few times lately and it's really amazing. Bill Murray is great in it. Between this and Scrooged, you can definitely see his performances becoming more like they are in Wes Anderson's movies: Surprisingly subtle and touching at times, but still hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

ChickenMedium posted:

Even after all these years, I'll periodically scan Amazon to see if they carry the Speight's Catalog or Tobin's Spirit Guide.

Also, for the guy looking for more Bill Murray comedy, I recommend the criminally overlooked Quick Change.

Oh dear God yes, this is Bill Murray's finest hour. Beg, borrow or steal a copy, but this film is magnificent.

• Locked thread