Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
I for one, thought Arcanum was an extremely excellent game that got hampered by a few bugs on release. They've been fixed and I'd easily group it with Fallout 1 & 2 for excitement levels. Totally worth a countdown. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
:siren:

GOG via Twitter posted:

How about another clue for lunch? They are two different characters, but they complement each other beautifully.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Some think it's EA.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The sisters in Vampire: Bloodlines might fit the bill. But a bit obscure, so probably means something else.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

FLX posted:

:siren:

I still think it's Activision Blizzard (which also owns Sierra and a ton of other poo poo)

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Sporadic posted:

I still think it's Activision Blizzard (which also owns Sierra and a ton of other poo poo)

I would say that's far more likely than EA. I doubt there's nearly enough money to made in the $10 and $6 pricepoints for EA. That being said Activision/Blizzard aren't exactly keen on discounts either.

Smokey
Feb 8, 2008
empty

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 19, 2014

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Blizzard still sells diablo and the link on their site and manages your ownership/downloads much in the way that GOG does. EA might like the $5-10 market because it seems like they have to do nothing, and GOG makes the enhancements/etc to make the games playable. It's just profit at that point.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

I think getting ID Software on board would also kind of warrant the whole timer hype.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Sierra games on GOG would be awesome. I'd buy the Gabriel Knight trilogy in a heartbeat (among other things).

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sporadic posted:

Battlezone still kicks rear end

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I can't believe people still think it's anything other than Troika. Was "rhymes with smarcanum" not an obvious enough clue for you?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

glug posted:

Blizzard still sells diablo and the link on their site and manages your ownership/downloads much in the way that GOG does. EA might like the $5-10 market because it seems like they have to do nothing, and GOG makes the enhancements/etc to make the games playable. It's just profit at that point.

I didn't mean Blizzard games. I was just using the new name. If it was Activision, I would guess it would be more Sierra games/Troika Games/etc. They have alot of good stuff in the backlog.

FLX posted:

I think getting ID Software on board would also kind of warrant the whole timer hype.

They are already on Steam and the megapack has been on sale for $35 multiple times.

- edit

Weedle posted:

I can't believe people still think it's anything other than Troika. Was "rhymes with smarcanum" not an obvious enough clue for you?

That's why I was thinking Activision. They were the publisher of Arcanum/Vampire: The Masquerade and in interviews last year, Good Old Games said they worked out a deal with a big publisher for 2010.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 26, 2010

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

Weedle posted:

Doesn't mean there won't be multiple announcements at the end, since a timer for one game is a bit of a waste of time.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma
If it was System Shock 2 or Planescape then a timer for one game is worth it.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

Trying not to get my hopes up, but if it is Activision, could that mean Interstate '76? :ohdear:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If it is Activision's entire (or soon to be) back catalog and not just Arcanum/Troika games, I will take back all the nasty things I've said about their money grubbing, rear end in a top hat CEO.

The company published some good titles before they got rich off Guitar Hero and Call of Duty. MechWarrior, Jedi Outcast, Blood Omen, Super Pitfall... I don't know if they still have the rights to those but if they do FANTASTIC.

Edit: Also, each clue might be a reference to a different game. We all know Arcanum is one but the karmic one could be a reference to Ultima IV, the history one a reference to Gunman Chronicles (please, oh please), etc.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 26, 2010

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

al-azad posted:

Blood Omen

The rights to Blood Omen, along with all the other Legacy of Kain games are owned by Square-Enix now since Eidos had them.

LucasArts almost certainly own the rights to Jedi Outcast, too.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Weedle posted:

I thought "rhymes with smarcanum" was a big enough clue in itself that I was kidding. They did not seriously give that as a hint.

Seriously.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

glug posted:

I thought "rhymes with smarcanum" was a big enough clue in itself that I was kidding. They did not seriously give that as a hint.

Seriously.

oh :saddowns:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm a huge fan of Arcanum in general, but also agree that it doesn't warrant a dramatic countdown. This either has to be something bigger, either a bigger game or a new games publisher, or someone in marketing just said, "We're using a timer for the next announcement, regardless of how big it is." Plus, it's hard to apply "unexcelled" to Arcanum. Even though I haven't seen a game world quite like Arcanum's it isn't a paragon of perfection to have earned the title "unexcelled," the base game definitely had its problems. This is especially so compared to the Fallout titles that still manage to climb into the top ten bestseller slots on GOG.

Well, anyway, hoping for something big. I'm hoping against hope for System Shocks 1 and 2. I have them both, but also have the irrational need to purchase them again if they show up on GOG.

Fake edit: pun unintended.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I'm pretty goddamned sure my credit card is going to take a beating whatever happens.

GoG just put this on their facebook page: "Clueing you in. Within the confines of Ohio."

Rabhadh fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 26, 2010

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Also added: "Or let's take it a step farther: Ohio's secret place."

A GOG member discovered this. "A Secret Place". Seems to match up with a certain game's title, too.

Athletic Footjob fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 26, 2010

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Ahaha thats amazing.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

rt4 posted:

Battlezone still kicks rear end

Absolutely. Both of them (but BZ1 especially) updated and runnable on a modern machine with no fuss would make me so happy.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Blodskur posted:

Also added: "Or let's take it a step farther: Ohio's secret place."

A GOG member discovered this. "A Secret Place". Seems to match up with a certain game's title, too.

:cawg: Oh come on, it's not even Wednesday! It can't be Arcanum now, can it? If it is, they have to fire the guy who's in charge of the Facebook and Twitter account. I can see him being all giddy and excited about this and just thinking about new clues the whole day, posting them left and right.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

Absolutely. Both of them (but BZ1 especially) updated and runnable on a modern machine with no fuss would make me so happy.

I never had a chance to play the Red Odyssey expansion pack and I'd totally rebuy the game to do that.
Although it does kinda ruin the plot for China and the USSR to be allies in the 60's

It had kickin' rad multiplayer too.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007

GoG Twitter posted:

Clues anyone? A messenger is not named for a soldier, but precedes one.

That one just confuses me.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

So what is so good about Arcanium?

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

kissekatt posted:

It's Fallout 2 in a magic/steam-punk world.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
and it's the better game, Arcanum seriously rocks, too bad it looks even worse than FO does...

a slim pixie
Dec 29, 2008

an earworm burrowed into my frontal lobe

kissekatt posted:

It's like Fallout, except more complex. They've been trying to get Troika's games on the site since the beginning, but have had difficulties because of the convoluted rights issues. It also means they'll probably be able to publish more from the Sierra/Activision back catalog.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Don't play Arcanum after hearing from everyone how awesome it is, you are bound to be disappointed. I personally love the game, but I can understand how it's not for everyone. I put it up there with BG2.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
The latest clue is "A messenger is not named for a soldier, but precedes one." Some people have interpreted that as being for Gabriel Knight, which would point back to a larger Sierra catalog again rather than just Troika.

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

Blodskur posted:

Some think it's EA.

Oh please god this and Troika

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Whatever it is going to be, I'm sure I'll be pleased.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

GreenNight posted:

Don't play Arcanum after hearing from everyone how awesome it is, you are bound to be disappointed. I personally love the game, but I can understand how it's not for everyone. I put it up there with BG2.

These two statements don't make sense together.

CaudaVenenus
Sep 17, 2004

Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you.

GreenNight posted:

I agree. The one thing to keep in mind with Arcanum is that while the universe and sidequests are very well done, the engine is a piece of poo poo, the interface is a mess (it took more than a third of the screen until they released a full-screen patch that was still a pain to use) and the combat sucks balls. Like, way worse than Planescape.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
The really interesting world is literally the only good thing about Arcanum. Everything else, from art to combat to interfact to balance is pretty bad.

e: forgot the soundtrack, that is pretty good as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande

CaudaVenenus posted:

I agree. The one thing to keep in mind with Arcanum is that while the universe and sidequests are very well done, the engine is a piece of poo poo, the interface is a mess (it took more than a third of the screen until they released a full-screen patch that was still a pain to use) and the combat sucks balls. Like, way worse than Planescape.

is that even possible? Planescape torment combat was basically have morte call people assholes then close a door