Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
drat I love a new set of strings...

Also, any VT Bass owners looking to utilize their VTs as preamps, you might want to head over to putnamguitars.com and look at some of the mods Mike is offering. He's offering DI+Ground/lift mods already, but he's soon offering to rewire the VT into a 1U rack chassis for those wanting to use it as a pre and take it off the floor.

Edit: Looks like he's already offering it. Standard, deluxe (ground/lift, DI, phantom power), deluxe + 250w power-amp, and deluxe + 500w power-amp.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 19, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
I've only ever used the Boss TU-2, and not had any problems w/it.
They generally make good poo poo.

Bourbon
Sep 17, 2006

Can anyone recommend a good padded guitar strap? I've been using the same lovely nylon one for years now and lately my shoulder has been hurting after practice.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Bourbon posted:

Can anyone recommend a good padded guitar strap? I've been using the same lovely nylon one for years now and lately my shoulder has been hurting after practice.

Neotech and Levy's are pretty popular choices. But Levy's can get pretty expensive. Just find something that's padded and has plenty of length.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Neotech-Mega-Bass-Strap?sku=367528
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Neoprene-Bass-Strap?sku=361216

I have an old fender leather padded strap that I like, but its about worn out.

Edit: And if you're ballin' and got cash to burn, look for a Moody

Scarf fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 19, 2010

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I love the wide Planet Waves straps and the Comfort Strapps.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I really really really like it when I can impress a soundguy with the sound of my rig immediately upon turning it on.

We had a show last night at a new (to us) venue a couple hours away. Typical originals-show deal... multiple bands, no real take, anyone they see as good will get invited back for solo shows on the weekends. Show up to load in and they've got backline equipment already set up, but we were told we were more than welcome to bring our own gear if we want, as long as we can make load-in/out pretty quick. No problem, I can do setup/breakdown of my rig in about 5 minutes.

I wheel in my Ampeg rig and start prepping my stuff off to the side of the stage. I continue to help my bandmates carry stuff in, and one of our guitarists comes up to me and says the soundguy really wanted me to play out of his backline rig, an SWR/Hartke stack... the two brands of bass equipment I despise more than anything else on the market. Luckily my guitarist already told him that I'd much rather play through my own equipment.

Fast forward to setup/line-check. I crank out a few notes and he just goes "Whoa... that sounds awesome."

And there was much rejoicing.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Out of curiosity, what's wrong with SWR? I for one loved all their amps I tried out.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Jan posted:

Out of curiosity, what's wrong with SWR? I for one loved all their amps I tried out.

I just find them incredibly sterile, lacking any sense of warmth and fullness. Just overall weak-sounding in my experiences.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

My first real rig, from 1999 to 2003 was a Bass350, Goliath Jr, and Triad. My rig from 2003 to 2005 was an SWR Interstellar Overdrive, Carvin DCM1000, and Goliath Sr.

The IOD/Carvin/Sr rig actually sounded drat good, but it just fell apart when I took it on tour. The IOD ate through tubes and op-amps like popcorn (I had a bag of them,) and the Sr blew a speaker about every two months - and after SWR was bought out by Fender it would take four months for them to free up a spare speaker to send me. I ran the SR missing two speakers for about three months, waiting on parts.

gently caress SWR, now and forever.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Oh, also, let me continue to tout the awesomeness of the Tech 21 VT Bass...

My rig has been giving me some trouble, my sound keeps cutting in and out and I've isolated it to the input on the front of the head. I've just had no time to get it fixed with our show schedule being pretty busy.

Last night it was acting up hardcore, so I simply plugged the VT Bass into my amp's Power Amp In in the back, bypassing the preamp altogether. Sounded just as glorious and required very little tweaking to get an identical sound.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Scarf posted:

Oh, also, let me continue to tout the awesomeness of the Tech 21 VT Bass...
I just purchased the Tech 21 Programmable Sans Amp Bass Driver and think it's AMAZING. I plugged it directly into a PA last night, and it sounded amazing. Can't say enough good about it.

I've been thinking about getting a new distortion/overdrive pedal. I already have the Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive, and it's fine, but I've been hearing good things about (wait for it...) the Way Huge Swollen Pickle. Any of you guys played through one of those before?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

betterinsodapop posted:

I just purchased the Tech 21 Programmable Sans Amp Bass Driver and think it's AMAZING. I plugged it directly into a PA last night, and it sounded amazing. Can't say enough good about it.

At NAMM Tech 21 debuted the VT version of that pedal.

betterinsodapop posted:

I've been thinking about getting a new distortion/overdrive pedal. I already have the Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive, and it's fine, but I've been hearing good things about (wait for it...) the Way Huge Swollen Pickle. Any of you guys played through one of those before?

No offense, but pretty much anything you get will be a step up from the Boss. I have no experience w/ the Swollen Pickle though. If you're into some more fuzzy distortion, check out the EHX Bass Big Muff. The dry-blend mode is awesome and keeps an awesome low end.

But if you've got the programmable driver... I really don't see why you'd need another OD pedal as well unless you're wanting something more over-the-top.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 22, 2010

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Scarf posted:

No offense, but pretty much anything you get will be a step up from the Boss. I have no experience w/ the Swollen Pickle though. If you're into some more fuzzy distortion, check out the EHX Bass Big Muff. The dry-blend mode is awesome and keeps an awesome low end.

But if you've got the programmable driver... I really don't see why you'd need another OD pedal as well unless you're wanting something more over-the-top.
Yeah, I am looking for more over-the-top distortion/overdrive. The Sans Amp has nice, subtle distortion, but it's not enough. I don't really mind the Boss too much, but I recognize the need for a step up. :) I'll see if I can test the Muff.

Orthogonalus
Feb 26, 2008
Right angles ONLY
Complete bass newbie here with some newbie questions.

I mainly play the guitar, but I recently got an Epiphone T-Bird IV to play with and to record some simple things, and it has some intonation issues. I'd like to try changing strings first before I take it to someone for a setup, because it actually feels quite nice to play as it is. However I'm not really sure what kind of strings I should be getting. I have no idea how thick the strings I have on right now are, is there a "default" thickness? Since my guitar is tuned down a whole step, I've also been playing with the bass tuned to DGCF, does that warrant thicker strings?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Orthogonalus posted:

Complete bass newbie here with some newbie questions.

I mainly play the guitar, but I recently got an Epiphone T-Bird IV to play with and to record some simple things, and it has some intonation issues. I'd like to try changing strings first before I take it to someone for a setup, because it actually feels quite nice to play as it is. However I'm not really sure what kind of strings I should be getting. I have no idea how thick the strings I have on right now are, is there a "default" thickness? Since my guitar is tuned down a whole step, I've also been playing with the bass tuned to DGCF, does that warrant thicker strings?

Typically, like with guitar, if you're going to downtune, it helps to use a higher gauge of string. I prefer strings with more tension anyway, and I play standard.

Look for strings labeled "Medium" that'll typically give you a low E at about .104-109 depending on the manufacturer, and a G at about .045-.050. You can look for some Heavys if you want, but I think Mediums would be a good place to start.

I'd imagine, since you're downtuning, that you're playing somewhat heavier, rock-oriented music. Take a look at some DR Hi-Beam stainless steel strings. They'll be very bright. But at the same time, the stainless will be pretty harsh on your fingers. For a slightly mellower sound (and slightly smoother string) look at the Sunbeams or even the Lo-Rider nickels.

Actually the Lo-Riders might serve you a bit better since they have a hexagonal core and carry a bit more tension. So yeah... I'd say go with either the Lo Rider stainless or Lo Rider nickels.

Edit: And in terms of avoiding a setup... if you put higher tension strings on your bass, chances are the neck relief is going to need to be adjusted anyway. So it may be unavoidable. Best bet is to learn to do it on your own.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 22, 2010

Orthogonalus
Feb 26, 2008
Right angles ONLY

Scarf posted:

string talk

Yeah, I guess metal/rock is what I mostly play, closely followed by jazz and, well, anything that's interesting and fun to experiment with. I guess versatility is what I want? But I'll probably go with your suggestion and get some 45-105 DR Lo Riders. They sound alright from your description, because I don't think I want a very bright sound.

(Side note: holy cow, bass strings are so much more expensive than guitar strings!)

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Orthogonalus posted:

(Side note: holy cow, bass strings are so much more expensive than guitar strings!)

They also last longer! Better be damned sure what you want though!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Orthogonalus posted:

But I'll probably go with your suggestion and get some 45-105 DR Lo Riders. They sound alright from your description, because I don't think I want a very bright sound.

In that case, get the Lo Rider Nickels. They'll start pretty bright, but they'll even out very nicely.

Edit, found an old rough clip I did for my drummer when I first switched over to lo-rider nickels, he was curious about the sound:

This one is after they've mellowed out a bit (slightly different eq, and playing around w/ delay, but you can get a general idea):

Scarf fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 22, 2010

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
Ugh I want a neodymium cab but nobody has them used and I don't want to buy new.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

avatar speakers dot com, poo poo's cheap

Big Face
Dec 5, 2009

by Peatpot
Crescent guitars are Chinese, right? I just grabbed one off Craigslist for $50 and upgraded the neck, bridge, and the pickups. The neck(crooked but I'm getting a new maple lawsuit Fender off ebay) and bridge went fine, but man, those pots screamed China. The pickup wires basically popped right off. Has a really nice sunburst finish though:

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Scarf posted:

the soundguy really wanted me to play out of his backline rig, an SWR/Hartke stack...

Whoah, this happens? Granted, I've never played a gig where we didn't provide our own PA, but this is astounding. I doubt this would ever happen to a guitar player. Hell, I would have put up a hell of a fight myself. My rig is part of my overall setup and is an instrument as well as my guitar. It would be like asking me to use another bass. I have a lot of respect for a good sound guy, but this is just silly.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Kynetx posted:

Whoah, this happens? Granted, I've never played a gig where we didn't provide our own PA, but this is astounding. I doubt this would ever happen to a guitar player. Hell, I would have put up a hell of a fight myself. My rig is part of my overall setup and is an instrument as well as my guitar. It would be like asking me to use another bass. I have a lot of respect for a good sound guy, but this is just silly.

It happens pretty often with places that have backline equipment. And I can see their side of the argument as well. They know the equipment better, they know how to dial it in with the rest of the PA system, etc. etc.

But yeah, there's no way I'm going to play through an amp I'm unfamiliar with and won't have the time to get familiar with right before a show.

edit: The soundguy may just not be very adamant and might be a little passive aggressive about it. More like "well I mean, you COULD just play through the house rig instead of hauling yours in here..."

Scarf fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 25, 2010

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

If you're running through a PA, and the house guy throws a DI box (you know, the Countryman that's held together with duct tape? that one) in front of your amp, you're not using your amp for anything other than monitoring anyways, so who cares what amp you're playing through.

Of course, that's why I always request that the sound guy use the DI out of my head instead of using his shitbox DI. "Unless of course, you want to hear a pop when I unplug my bass to switch, your call." I've only had a few guys refuse to do it, but when they do it's a shitstorm.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

warwick5s posted:

If you're running through a PA, and the house guy throws a DI box (you know, the Countryman that's held together with duct tape? that one) in front of your amp, you're not using your amp for anything other than monitoring anyways, so who cares what amp you're playing through.

That's fine with me. I'd be happy providing a line out from my preamp if they want, since my rig consists ofa preamp (Presonus Studio Channel) into a power amp (45-pound Peavey 8.5c) into a pair of full-range PA cabs (2 BFM Jack 110s with the 12-driver melded HF array).
Playing through someone else's rig would just be too distracting and I'm too lovely to deal with a ton of distractions.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

two of the sweetest gigs I've played in my life (Tokyo & Osaka) were through a 200w trace elliot with a pair of 4x10's, with at least two blown speakers

that sucked real bad

Theos
Oct 18, 2002

by angerbot
My buddy loaned me his fretless bass, I have a decent control over it, hitting the notes pretty accurately. I'm just wondering, what kind of cool poo poo I can use it for that I couldn't do on my normal fretted bass? Obviously slides sound interesting with it, but is there anything else?

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Theos posted:

My buddy loaned me his fretless bass, I have a decent control over it, hitting the notes pretty accurately. I'm just wondering, what kind of cool poo poo I can use it for that I couldn't do on my normal fretted bass? Obviously slides sound interesting with it, but is there anything else?

It is not about slides. Yes, you can do slides on a fretless, but it also produces a very different tone to the bass itself. It is a more classic upright tone. (but still not quite - an Ashbury would be closer, or even a P bass with flats) To some, it might not be as clinky as a fretted bass. Listen to some Jaco, that's fretless. Jaco with Weather Report - Birdland: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqashW66D7o

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

The only thing you really can do on a fretless that you can't on a fretted are smooth harmonic slides. Vibrato is a lot more controllable and nice on a fretless, that's something to practice.

Really just spend a ton of time practicing scales and chromatics to make sure your intonation is 100% accurate.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Any advice for simple power chord strumming using a pick, or is it just "practice, practice, practice?"

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

What about it are you having problems with?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Crosspost...

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Markbass-SUPER-SYNTH-Bass-Pedal?sku=484185&CJAID=10451188&CJPID=3353204

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

warwick5s posted:

What about it are you having problems with?
Mostly strumming. Finding the chords with my fretting hand is an understandable challenge for me, but muting the E string while I'm playing the other 3 strings is giving me problems. I don't use the thumb-over-the-neck technique because my hands are too big so that doesn't really work.

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."

scuz posted:

Mostly strumming. Finding the chords with my fretting hand is an understandable challenge for me, but muting the E string while I'm playing the other 3 strings is giving me problems. I don't use the thumb-over-the-neck technique because my hands are too big so that doesn't really work.

While fretting power chords on the A string, try to have your index finger touching the low E, to mute it. Eventually your picking hand will be able to just..not hit it, but this works until then.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

scuz posted:

If Bass power chords are anything like guitar, you can press down the note on the a string with more of the pad of the pointer finger on the A and let the tip of your pointer finger lightly touch the E string to mute it.

Conversely, if the root is on the E string, just rest your pointer finger on the A-D-G strings. Both of these are harder to describe without a picture/video now that I think about it.

Alternatively, practice more control of your pick hand and only hit the strings you want to sound out.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

gotly posted:

Bought myself a GK 700 RB (not II). From the manual:

http://www.gallien-krueger.com/manuals/700rb.pdf posted:

380W power amp output for Full-Range operation
only. They deliver 380 watts into 4 Ohms. Lower
impedances should not be used. Each jack has a
minimum of 8 Ohms each. Higher impedances such
as 8 Ohms, 16 Ohms, or No Load are acceptable. No
damage will result from operating the amplifier with
the speakers disconnected.

It has two outputs in the back of the amp. If I want to get the full 380 watts, do I plug one of the outputs into the back of a 4 ohm cab or do I have to plug both in? It says "Each jack has a minimum of 8 Ohms each" which to me means I can't just grab a single 4 ohm cab and plug it in, unless it has two inputs or something?

One last question about this. I have two 8 ohm Avatar cabs (2x12 and 2x10). I can safely plug a speakon cable from both speakon outputs on the head to each speakon input on each cab, right?

Here's why I'm confused:

quote:

If you are using an RBH Series cabinet, use the supplied
4 conductor Speakon cable to connect to the “Speakon”
outputs on the rear panel of the amplifier. Set the Woofer
X-Over and Tweeter Hi Cut switches on the front panel to
the IN position. In addition, set the switch on the RBH
cabinet to Bi-Amp.
For connection to all other cabinets, connect to the 1/4”
outputs labeled 380W amp only. Set the Woofer XOver
switch on the front panel to the Out position.

That makes it sound like I shouldn't use a speakon connector to non-RBH cabinets. Do Avatar cabinets count as RBH cabinets? Are they basically saying "if your cab doesn't have a speakon input, don't jam a speakon cable in there you idiot." Is the manual so old it doesn't assume that other cabs are out there that can utilize the bi-amp feature?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Schatten posted:

It is not about slides. Yes, you can do slides on a fretless, but it also produces a very different tone to the bass itself. It is a more classic upright tone. (but still not quite - an Ashbury would be closer, or even a P bass with flats) To some, it might not be as clinky as a fretted bass. Listen to some Jaco, that's fretless. Jaco with Weather Report - Birdland: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqashW66D7o
fyi he's playing a fretted bass in that video

DrChu
May 14, 2002

gotly posted:

That makes it sound like I shouldn't use a speakon connector to non-RBH cabinets. Do Avatar cabinets count as RBH cabinets? Are they basically saying "if your cab doesn't have a speakon input, don't jam a speakon cable in there you idiot." Is the manual so old it doesn't assume that other cabs are out there that can utilize the bi-amp feature?
Its talking about using the special GK 4 conductor Speakon. Don't plug one of those into a normal cabinet. The Avatars are normal cabinets. You'll be fine connecting them (if they're both 8 ohms) to the Speakon jacks.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

DrChu posted:

fyi he's playing a fretted bass in that video

Are you seeing frets? I'm not hearing them. 1:35 mark, slide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Schatten posted:

Are you seeing frets? I'm not hearing them. 1:35 mark, slide.

There's nothing about that tone that sounds like fretless, and those harmonic bends at the start definitely don't. At about 1:08 you can see the light reflecting off the frets, you can see this a few more times throughout the song.

I think this is from the same performance, you can see his fretless is a completely different bass - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXOnhzoC-i8