Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grumm3t
Jul 1, 2004
k
I have two nearly identical tables (jobs and archived_jobs) whose only difference is two additional columns (archived_on and archived_by) in the archived_jobs table.

I want to be able to move a single record from the jobs table to the archived_jobs table and remove the record from jobs.

I tried to do various versions of the following type of query

code:
INSERT INTO `archived_jobs`
(SELECT * FROM `jobs` WHERE id=" . $jobid . " LIMIT 1), `archived_on`=NOW(), `archived_by`='someuser'
But it never seems to work. Any tips? Having two queries to insert and then update in the archived_jobs table is annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

grumm3t posted:

Ignoring your sql injection problem:

code:
INSERT INTO `archived_jobs`
(SELECT *, NOW() as `archived_on`, 'someuser' as `archived_by` FROM `jobs` WHERE id=" . $jobid . " LIMIT 1)

grumm3t
Jul 1, 2004
k
The input is cleaned elsewhere... and that worked. Thanks!

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Jethro posted:

Ignoring your sql injection problem:

Why do you advocates of prepared statements (I'm making an assumption here that that's your preferred way of sanitising input) always go to the extreme of assuming that a failure to use prepared statements amounts to a full-on failure to sanitise input at all? I mean it's not just you, plenty of people around here seem to do it for whatever reason, but loving hell there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

So what, are you quitting to join Homo Explosion?
Of course there is more than one way to skin a cat, but what are the odds a random person on the Internet is a professional cat skinner? Low. Way easier to assume they're just going to shoot themselves in the foot.

By the way, prepared statements are not a method of sanitization, in the same way RAID is not a form of backup. Interfaces provided by libraries that support prepared statements simply help lower the surface of injection based attacks.

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat

stack posted:

I could use some help coming up with an index for a table on Mysql 5.1.

Table:
... : other unimportant columns
other_id : int, null => false
position : int, default => 0, null => false
deleted_at : timestamp, default => null

Each other_id grouping might have only two or three entries, there might be only one deleted entry for a group and there will be hundreds of thousands of groups of other_id. R/W ratio 10:1

The query which will be run against this table 90+% of the time is very much along the lines of

code:
SELECT ... 
FROM table 
  INNER JOIN other_table ot ON (ot.id = other_id) 
WHERE other_id = n 
  AND deleted_at IS NULL 
ORDER BY position
I want to think given the use case I would be fine creating an index for just other_id since the results list would be so small. Since the table won't be written to often but will be read a lot should I create a single multiple column index [other_id, deleted_at, position] or create some combination of indexes?

This isn't so much for this single situation but also for general knowledge for the use case.

Test an index on other_id and if it's good enough then I would stop there. Every index you add has the possibility of affecting other statements, and the more you index the greater overhead on writes. I think that a 1:10 ratio of writes to reads is not low.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
How often should I run ANALYZE TABLE on InnoDB tables that are updated maybe a few hundred times a day? Is once a day overkill? Is ANALYZE TABLE demanding, or is it not something to worry about?

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

Hammerite posted:

How often should I run ANALYZE TABLE on InnoDB tables that are updated maybe a few hundred times a day? Is once a day overkill? Is ANALYZE TABLE demanding, or is it not something to worry about?

I'm no big city InnoDB expert but wouldn't it matter more how many rows are updated each day, not how many update statements are executed?

We (Oracle shop) analyze pretty much all of our tables on at least a weekly basis I think. MoNsTeR would probably know our schedule better.

MoNsTeR
Jun 29, 2002

It should be weekly but I think some Oracle bug is loving it up.

At any rate yes it depends on the rate of change in your data as well as type type of change. By that I mean a table that steadily grows at X rows per day is different from one that might have all of its rows deleted one day, then a million rows inserted the next, then half of them deleted, or other crazy random crap. Rate of update is less important unless you are regularly updating indexed values.

MoNsTeR
Jun 29, 2002

yatagan posted:

I'm trying to understand why Oracle even bothered implementing a GROUP BY feature if all non-aggregation variables must be put in the statement?
Because that's how GROUP BY works, you're telling the query engine what values you want to group your aggregation by. Note that you can GROUP BY expressions that you aren't SELECTing, and this is more useful than you might think.

Corsair Jr
Sep 10, 2009
So I have two tables like this

Programs:
code:
Program_Name,Program_Manager_ID,Backup_Program_Manager_ID

Basketball, 2, 2
Football, 1, 2
Baseball, 2, 3
Users:
code:
User_ID,Name,Email

1, Bob, [email]bob@whatever.com[/email]
2, Ted, [email]ted@whatever.com[/email]
3, John, [email]john@whatever.com[/email]
I'm trying to get a list of the programs with the names and emails of the respective program managers and backup program managers as below(ignore that it makes no sense for the backup to be the same person):

Basketball Ted ted@whatever.com Ted ted@whatever.com
Football Bob bob@whatever.com Ted ted@whatever.com
Baseball Ted ted@whatever.com John john@whatever.com

Also, the program manager and backup might not be assigned (null). Its easy to get one or the other, but I can't figure out both.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
You want to join to the table twice and use a different alias for each join.

To account for scenarios where the program manager or backup program manager is null, you should use a left join instead of an inner join.

Corsair Jr
Sep 10, 2009

Aredna posted:

You want to join to the table twice and use a different alias for each join.

To account for scenarios where the program manager or backup program manager is null, you should use a left join instead of an inner join.

Thanks that worked, didn't know you could do that.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
Thanks Markoff Chaney and MoNsTeR, I elected to have it run twice a week instead of daily.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

Hammerite posted:

Thanks Markoff Chaney and MoNsTeR, I elected to have it run twice a week instead of daily.

Also, how big is the table? If it's less than <arbitrary number, I usually go with 10-20k rows> you should probably be full scanning it regardless and not bother with indexes.

wigga please
Nov 1, 2006

by mons all madden
Having some problems with CAST in T-SQL here:

I have a table events that contains events with a start and end date. I'm defining the total length of all events by using DATEDIFF(DAY, [earliest event startdate], [latest event enddate]). The values I need are the percentage of days and event encompasses from the whole of all events (say event A lasts 10 days, event B lasts 8 days, so the whole is 18 days of which event A uses 55%), and how far from the start of all events the event is removed (event B starts when event A ends, so it starts at 55%, the same value but ofcourse events could overlap).

This looks like a very bad description, the gist of it is I need to be able to cast DATEDIFF / DATEDIFF AS DOUBLE. DATEDIFF returns an integer by default so when the total length is 100 days and I want to know how much of that time 33 days is I get 0.

Here's the SQL I had so far:
code:
BEGIN
	DECLARE @firsteventdate DATE
	SELECT @firsteventdate = MIN(events.startdate) FROM events WHERE events.idproject = @idproject
	DECLARE @lasteventdate DATE
	SELECT @lasteventdate = MAX(events.enddate) FROM events WHERE events.idproject = @idproject
	DECLARE @totallength INT
	SELECT @totallength = 
		DATEDIFF(DAY, @firsteventdate, @lasteventdate)
	SET NOCOUNT ON;
	SELECT events.eventname, events.eventdescription, 
		events.startdate, events.enddate, CAST(DATEDIFF(DAY, startdate, enddate) / @totallength AS DOUBLE)
	FROM events
	WHERE events.idproject = @idproject

END
but this gives me

code:
Msg 102, Level 15, State 1, Procedure spGetEventsForProject, Line 15
Incorrect syntax near ')'.
:negative:

e: whoops, DOUBLE != FLOAT, nevermind fellas

wigga please fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jan 16, 2010

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

I want to run a cronjob every 6 hours that will take any rows created more than 6 hours ago and move them out of the active table and into a separate storage table

Anyone know the best way to do this?

I think i'll need two separate commands:
one to copy the rows meeting the criteria into the other table
and one to remove the rows meeting the criteria from the original table

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I needed to remove a trailing space from a certain column and I tried to use this query to find out which rows I would be updating:

code:
SELECT Product FROM Table WHERE Product != TRIM(Product)
But it didn't return any rows, even though I know there are some Products in there with trailing spaces. Why didn't this work like I thought it would?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

fletcher posted:

I needed to remove a trailing space from a certain column and I tried to use this query to find out which rows I would be updating:

code:
SELECT Product FROM Table WHERE Product != TRIM(Product)
But it didn't return any rows, even though I know there are some Products in there with trailing spaces. Why didn't this work like I thought it would?

Collation issue? I just tried SELECT 'mystring' = 'mystring ' and SELECT 'MYSTRING' = 'mystring' on my database (MySQL, default collation is something case insensitive) and both returned 1.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
If you are using MySQL then

code:
SELECT Product FROM Table WHERE CONVERT(Product, BINARY) != CONVERT(TRIM(Product), BINARY)
might work, but I don't know

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Does anyone have a quick t-sql (MSSQL 2005) proc that will identify card numbers based on the first 4 digits? I've got a VB code version but want to do a one-time pass on the server before clearing the data for PCI compliance. I want to be able to say this row is Amex, Visa, etc. based on the number structure.

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
:toot:

fletcher posted:

I needed to remove a trailing space from a certain column and I tried to use this query to find out which rows I would be updating...

If you're using MS SQL, then you need to use RTRIM() or LTRIM().

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Scaramouche posted:

Does anyone have a quick t-sql (MSSQL 2005) proc that will identify card numbers based on the first 4 digits? I've got a VB code version but want to do a one-time pass on the server before clearing the data for PCI compliance. I want to be able to say this row is Amex, Visa, etc. based on the number structure.

Sorry guys, I kept googling Credit Card check, parser, identification etc. when I should have been googling Credit Card VALIDATION. Here's a C# version that's better than my VB one (though not much) http://jlcoady.net/c-sharp/credit-card-validation-in-c-sharp I'll post a t-sql translation later if anyone wants.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Well this was way simpler than I thought it had to be. I thought I'd have to verify every card number, but of course since these are already charged/AVS'd I don't even have to do that, I just need to examine the first few digits to determine card type. Here's the underwhelming SQL which does a year/month rollup:

code:
SELECT datepart(year,a.orderdate) As Year,datepart(month,a.orderdate) As Month,CardCompany,Count(*) As NumTransactions,SUM(Amount) As TotalAmt
FROM 
(
select case
    when (substring(Trans.cardnumber,1,2) = '34' OR substring(Trans.cardnumber,1,2) = '37') then 'AMEX'
    when substring(Trans.cardnumber,1,1) = '4' then 'VISA'
    when substring(Trans.cardnumber,1,1) = '5' then 'MasterCard'
	when substring(Trans.cardnumber,1,1) = '6' then 'Discover'
    else 'unknown' 
end As CardCompany,idorder,Trans.cardnumber,amount,orderdate
	FROM         
		Cart 
			INNER JOIN Trans ON cart.idOrder = Trans.OrderID
	WHERE     
            -- bunch of other table-specific clauses like date, orderstatus, etc.
) as a
GROUP BY datepart(year,a.orderdate),datepart(month,a.orderdate),CardCompany
ORDER BY datepart(year,a.orderdate),datepart(month,a.orderdate),CardCompany
The real meat is obviously the case statement with substrings. Note that since CASE is 'first done and out' you need to order the statements by exclusivity to make sure there's nothing that comes later that can be tripped by something that is parsed earlier.

I based the card info on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_card_number since there was a lot of conflicting/incomplete information out there. Obviously if you're writing a 'real' verifier you'd want it to be more complete (more card types, luhn check, etc.). You'd also probably want to do more with the unknowns as well, but there was only 1 case anyway.

So pretty simplistic but thought I'd put it here anyway in case anyone was curious.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Is there some type of linkedserver or OPENROWSET type thing for Oracle 10g so I can query a SQL Server within the editor window?

Corsair Jr
Sep 10, 2009
Does anyone know of a means for SQL Server 2008 to optimize the datatypes for a static set of data?

I've got a table with roughly 9 million records (there won't be any records added for years) and right now every column is set to varchar(100). It would be awesome if there were some way for SQL Server to analyze the entire data set and select the appropriate data type for each column.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Corsair Jr posted:

Does anyone know of a means for SQL Server 2008 to optimize the datatypes for a static set of data?

I've got a table with roughly 9 million records (there won't be any records added for years) and right now every column is set to varchar(100). It would be awesome if there were some way for SQL Server to analyze the entire data set and select the appropriate data type for each column.

If you plan on leaving them all as varchars you can measure each column.
SELECT MAX(Column1),
MAX(Column2),
MAX(Column3),
ETC

If you think some are INT only, try changing it to INT and see if it works... Same for datetime etc.

You'll likely want to create an index or two depending on what your data actually is.

There might be some other ways but doing it this way will let you get a better idea of what is in there and help you know what you should be indexing. Unless the data was computer generated I often find this approach helps me find bad data to clean when I try to change columns from one datatype to another and it doesn't work.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

You definitely want to get those data types as small as possible. My experience with tables that have "all varchar" and then optimized down makes a WORLD of difference.

It really shouldn't take you more than an afternoon's work to run through each column. Just do a distinct on the values and see what the smallest numeric/text type you can fit in them is.

Corsair Jr
Sep 10, 2009

benisntfunny posted:

If you plan on leaving them all as varchars you can measure each column.
SELECT MAX(Column1),
MAX(Column2),
MAX(Column3),
ETC

If you think some are INT only, try changing it to INT and see if it works... Same for datetime etc.

You'll likely want to create an index or two depending on what your data actually is.

There might be some other ways but doing it this way will let you get a better idea of what is in there and help you know what you should be indexing. Unless the data was computer generated I often find this approach helps me find bad data to clean when I try to change columns from one datatype to another and it doesn't work.
Yeah, I realize I could shrink them to the smallest varchar, but the data is a mix of datetime, money, ints, smallints, etc. There's over 100 columns of data. It'd be nice if there were already a script to do this or a process in SSIS.

It seems like it should be possible since the import package function includes a "suggest datatype" function, but that maxes out at 1000 rows, so its no good for 9 million records.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

You could write this yourself in a script. If any of the ISNUMERIC/ISDATETIME functions fail, you know it has to be a varchar definitely.

Corsair Jr
Sep 10, 2009

Triple Tech posted:

You could write this yourself in a script. If any of the ISNUMERIC/ISDATETIME functions fail, you know it has to be a varchar definitely.

I found a script online that will find the max length. I might play around with it tomorrow or try to write a new one that can identify datetimes etc.

code:
DECLARE  @sql   VARCHAR(8000), 
         @table SYSNAME 

SELECT @table = 'TABLE_NAME', 
       @sql = '' 

SELECT @sql = @sql + 'select ''' + @table + ''' as table_name,''' + column_name + ''' as column_name,                                  
max(len(' + column_name + ')) as column_length from ' + @table + ' union all ' 
FROM   information_schema.columns 
WHERE  table_name = '' + @table + '' 

SET @sql = Left(@sql,Len(@sql) - 9) 

EXEC( @sql)

cannibustacap
Jul 7, 2003

Brrrruuuuuiinnssss
I'm having some issues inserting into a table in Access 2007.

I am in SQL View and trying to write a query like this:

code:
INSERT INTO accessTable (Temperature)
SELECT excelTable.Temps
FROM excelTable
WHRERE accessTable.Index = RIGHT(excelTable.Index,3)
And I expect it to insert a temperature value from the excel table's "Temps" column into the access tables's "Temperature" column where the index's are the same.

But it doesn't work at all. I got a pop up from access asking for the parameter value of the accessTable.Index or some useless crap like that.

Also, the RIGHT function is because I am only concerned about the far 3 right digits. I'd prefer to do something like
code:
WHERE INT(accessTable.Index) = INT(RIGHT(excelTable.Index,3))
But I have a feeling that is asking too much from MS...

I am used to MYSQL and a little frustrated by access. Any pointers here?

I have also tried:
code:
WHERE accessTable.Index IN (SELECT RIGHT(excelTable.Index,3) FROM excelTable)
Heck I even tried
code:
WHERE accessTable.Index = 231
And all it does is append the Temperature at the very end of the table, not even at the 231 place.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

cannibustacap posted:

I'm having some issues inserting into a table in Access 2007.

I am in SQL View and trying to write a query like this:

code:
INSERT INTO accessTable (Temperature)
SELECT excelTable.Temps
FROM excelTable
WHRERE accessTable.Index = RIGHT(excelTable.Index,3)
And I expect it to insert a temperature value from the excel table's "Temps" column into the access tables's "Temperature" column where the index's are the same.

But it doesn't work at all. I got a pop up from access asking for the parameter value of the accessTable.Index or some useless crap like that.

You don't want an insert, you want an update. INSERT Is for inserting rows, UPDATE is for updating columns in existing rows. Also index is a reserved word or whatever its called so you'll need to access it with brackets I think, depending on your flavor of sql. Also WHRERE is misspelled but I'm guessing you just made a mistake copying by hand. I also didn't realize you could use RIGHT on numeric types, but if its not complaining about that I guess its ok. Try something like...

code:
update accessTable 
set Temperature = (Select temps from excelTable e where right(e.[Index],3) = accessTable.[index])

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 29, 2010

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
If I could run an approach by some of the more SQL-experienced folks here.

I have currently 24 excel spreadsheets, each with 14 columns around 700 lines or so (monthly maintenance reports, so there's future growth involved), and I was toying around with python 2.6's sqlite3 module to try and simplify some of the parsing tasks I was already doing.

I see my options as:

1 database file per month, with a table of contents database file with the names of each of those files.
1 database file overall with a table per month and another table for any sort of global stats, etc as they come up.

Normal use-case would be to import all the spreadsheet files in one time to the database, then any output would be generated from selecting relevant information from the database and formatting/acting on it/etc. So there wouldn't be any deletes or joins, but in the future it may be useful to select rows from more than 1 month's report at a time, even if it's not necessary now.

Thanks for any suggestions or feedback.

MoNsTeR
Jun 29, 2002

If every month's data has the same structure I would use one table.

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

Yeah, that just sounds like one SQLite instance with one table for any common entities across different months. No need to go all database crazy. SQLite has seen worse.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon

MoNsTeR posted:

If every month's data has the same structure I would use one table.

1 table with 24 x ~700 = 16800 rows, is that not too much to start seeing a performance hit on selects?

I don't have enough experiences with databases to know what a "reasonable" size would be.

edit: Thanks to you both. Sounds doable

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Lurchington posted:

1 table with 24 x ~700 = 16800 rows, is that not too much to start seeing a performance hit on selects?

I don't think so, not if you put appropriate indexes on.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

Hammerite posted:

I don't think so, not if you put appropriate indexes on.

Unless SQLite is retarded that's still small enough that I'd guess a full table scan would be faster than using indexes anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cannibustacap
Jul 7, 2003

Brrrruuuuuiinnssss

Kekekela posted:

You don't want an insert, you want an update. INSERT Is for inserting rows, UPDATE is for updating columns in existing rows. Also index is a reserved word or whatever its called so you'll need to access it with brackets I think, depending on your flavor of sql. Also WHRERE is misspelled but I'm guessing you just made a mistake copying by hand. I also didn't realize you could use RIGHT on numeric types, but if its not complaining about that I guess its ok. Try something like...

code:
update accessTable 
set Temperature = (Select temps from excelTable e where right(e.[Index],3) = accessTable.[index])

Ahhh, that makes a lot of sense. Much appreciated!

Unfortunatly, the "right" keyword doesn't help in this situation. I guess you can't compare the output of right with an integer. What a shame, any ideas on that though?