Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Swamp Zero posted:

is that even possible? Planescape torment combat was basically have morte call people assholes then close a door

It's bad. Really bad. Like your options are either a melee character, which will get beaten to death in two hits by the bigass Golem thing which also breaks all your armor and your weapons break trying to hit him, or a wizard that can instantly spam spells sufficient to kill any enemy in a second. Or you can play a gun user and do even worse than melee. That's if you play real-time, but turn based isn't much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
There's no combat balance. Magic/melee/tech characters function as Easy/Normal/Hard modes.

There's just the best writing and world design in any game I've ever played. Maybe Planescape is better, it's been awhile for both. Arcanum's is less flashy, but also has a little less of a tendency to disappear up its own whatever.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I don't remember having many issues with combat, with the exception of the golems where I had to run back to get poo poo repaired all the time.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
There are extensive mods out there that address combat balance. But if this is the BIG THING, perhaps they've been working on incorporating some of that crap nicely. I guess we'll see at like 4am or some poo poo.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
As a fan of Fallout, I played it in turn-based mode and loved it. The people complaining about combat being too hard must have played with the tacked on real-time mode or something. I don't remember having any trouble with a gun user. I'm excited to try again though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Not sure if everyone here checks the Steam thread from time to time... but right now Psychonauts is on for $2.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/3830/

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma

kissekatt posted:

So what is so good about Arcanium?

It has the best soundtrack of any game and if you don't believe me just download it here

http://www.terra-arcanum.com/sierra/media/media-soundtrack.html (it's legal)

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

It has the best soundtrack of any game and if you don't believe me just download it here

http://www.terra-arcanum.com/sierra/media/media-soundtrack.html (it's legal)
So uh do those ftp.sierra.com links work for you guys?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

No it's down.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma
Try this one

http://www.terra-arcanum.com/downloads/arcanum/HQ_Music_MP3.exe

Or this one

http://www.terra-arcanum.com/downloads/arcanum/Arcanum_OST_Lossless.exe

from here. Still legal by the way. The composer (Who I once emailed to tell him how much I admired his work, he responded :) ) gives permission on his page.

Here are his notes and comments on how it was made if you really enjoy it as much as I do.

http://terra-arcanum.com/index.php?section=council&content=articles&id=benhougesnotes

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

Try this one
Cool, thanks. Never played it but (almost) whenever someone recommends a music I have to check it out.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Farquar posted:

As a fan of Fallout, I played it in turn-based mode and loved it. The people complaining about combat being too hard must have played with the tacked on real-time mode or something. I don't remember having any trouble with a gun user. I'm excited to try again though.

Fallout Tactics is the only Fallout game (besides 3) with real-time combat. Fallout 1 and 2 were entirely turn-based.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Weedle posted:

Fallout Tactics is the only Fallout game (besides 3) with real-time combat. Fallout 1 and 2 were entirely turn-based.

I think what he means is that he's a fan of Fallout and he played Arcanum in turn-based mode.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
Sorry yeah, by "it" I meant Arcanum.

Pipboy 3000
Oct 16, 2008

Designed to put that "good feeling" in you.
The timer has said 0:00:00 for me since like 5AM, when is the announcement?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Pipboy 3000 posted:

The timer has said 0:00:00 for me since like 5AM, when is the announcement?

My timer has 11 hours 37 minutes left (as of 6:23 PM EST)

CaudaVenenus
Sep 17, 2004

Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you.

Farquar posted:

It's not very hard, it's just that, in my opinion, it's completely uninteresting and incredibly unbalanced . If anything, it's way too easy for magic and melee characters (apart from golems, melee can tear through anything by the end of the first third of the game or so), coupled with some of the most overpowered companions in any game ever. With the right sword, The second companion you get can slaughter the toughest enemies in a single turn about halfway through the game. Meanwhile, as someone mentioned, almost all the the guns do poo poo damage for some reason, worse than most bows even.

CaudaVenenus fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 28, 2010

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Don't you just love it when other sites jump the gun?

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

aw it's not planescape or system shock 2 :(.

I could never get Gabriel Knight working on even old computers so maybe I can finally give it a try.

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits

Hahah, what a dick move. That's cool though. I've always wanted to try the Gabriel Knight games.

e:Hey so does this mean the Leisure Suit Larry games are going to hit? I'm not very savvy on who owns what properties, sorry. Is there a master list of all the stuff we could potentially be seeing or something?

hogswallower fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 28, 2010

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I've been wanting to play Gabriel Knight again since Windows XP came out :)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Oh well. Maybe we'll get the whole list of planned titles tomorrow. I'll buy Gabriel Knight, but judging from the commentary here, I can probably live without Arcanum. So what's 'unexcelled'?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I gave the activision wiki a quick run though for old games, not too many stand out.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

This probably won't happen, but I'd buy the poo poo out of an Infocom collection that included scans of all the stuff that came in the boxes.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hell yeah - maybe there is hope for the Battlezone series more sooner than later!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

I'm the man :cool:

Sporadic posted:

Wasn't Arcanum published by Sierra? Which is now owned by Activision?

Activision coming on board would be massive news especially if they opened the floodgates on old Sierra games.

Sporadic posted:

I still think it's Activision Blizzard (which also owns Sierra and a ton of other poo poo)

I really hope they open the floodgates on the old Sierra games. I would love the Leisure Suit Larry series and a Phantasmagoria where I don't have to swap between 7 different CDs.

- edit

Rabhadh posted:

I gave the activision wiki a quick run though for old games, not too many stand out.

They also own Vivendi Games and Sierra from the Vivendi/Blizzard merger.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 28, 2010

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Rabhadh posted:

<looks up wiki>
Oh dear, I forgot about Star Trek: Elite Force and Bridge Commander! :love:

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Wait... sierra?

Like, :qfg: sierra?

Give me a version of QFG4 that works without show-stopping bugs. Do it. Doitdoitdoitdoit.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Wasn't the Homeworld series owned by Sierra?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Entorwellian posted:

Wasn't the Homeworld series owned by Sierra?

Yes! That would be a totally awesome inclusion to GoG.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
Gabriel Knight 1 is one of my favourite adventure games and I can't wait to buy a GOG-fixed version of it. I hope they get some of the more obscure Sierra games that aren't constantly re-released, like Conquest of the Longbow.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Rabhadh posted:

The Tony Hawks games, Heretic 2, Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries (and I guess Mechwarrior 1 but ehhhhhhhh,) Interstate 76, Heavy Gear, Civilisation 1, Blood Omen, The Dig, the Total War games, the Quake games, Zork and the Twinsen games are all games that thanks to signing Activision all have a fair chance of appearing on GOG now.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Here hoping Actvision doesn't put their greedy hands on the pricing and make them higher then the normal $6 or $10.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Whalley posted:

The Tony Hawks games, Heretic 2, Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries (and I guess Mechwarrior 1 but ehhhhhhhh,) Interstate 76, Heavy Gear, Civilisation 1, Blood Omen, The Dig, the Total War games, the Quake games, Zork and the Twinsen games are all games that thanks to signing Activision all have a fair chance of appearing on GOG now.

I'd love to have updated versions of I76 and the Mechwarrior2 series that install and work properly on Windows 7.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

MY FANTASYS.zip posted:

Here hoping Actvision doesn't put their greedy hands on the pricing and make them higher then the normal $6 or $10.

Cnet already reported that both Arcanum and Gabriel Knight will be $5.99 each :)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Is Gabriel Knight oldschool Sierra-style or Lucasart-style? (That is, will I get completely hosed over for not picking up/picking up some item at the start of the game)

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

ymgve posted:

Is Gabriel Knight oldschool Sierra-style or Lucasart-style? (That is, will I get completely hosed over for not picking up/picking up some item at the start of the game)
After they went VGA, Sierra moved from screwing you over because you forgot an item at the start of the game, over to just having hard puzzles.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Even with all its issues, and having to hunt out balance patches for Arcanum, and the dog companion's terrible howl, six bucks isn't bad.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Whalley posted:

Jesus Christ, I just forgot Little Big Adventure was published in the US by Activision. EA published the European version and GOG is owned by a European company so I don't know what the deal is here, but if we get a version of LBA optimized to run on modern computers I'm probably going to have a heart attack.

And yes, Activision owns so many other studios that the possibilities for new games are pretty vast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
It would be a bit funny if Activision decided to re-release Pitfall through GoG. Talk about good old game!