Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
TauntTheOctopi, I really like that too, great job! :)

I've been in a knitting funk since finishing up my monster scarf a few months ago. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that can do a flurry of knitting and then get kinda blase about it. But I recently thought 'hey dumbass, you need a hat!' and instead of paying for one, I'm gunna make one! Knitting is so exciting like that :3:

I like the idea of learning one new thing with each project if possible, so cables here I come! http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/frivol looks so cute, but I'm just going to do the seamed version for now since it's my first try. So to everyone who said back in October they're easier than they look, I'm holding you to it :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klams Jam
Sep 8, 2007

zamiel posted:

I like the idea of learning one new thing with each project if possible, so cables here I come! http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/frivol looks so cute, but I'm just going to do the seamed version for now since it's my first try. So to everyone who said back in October they're easier than they look, I'm holding you to it :colbert:

That's the way I've been knitting so far. I only started in Feb last year. My mum taught me ribbing straight away, saying if I was comfortable doing both I could pretty much do anything I wanted. Moved on to hats in the round, then 2 colours, then socks and I'm trying colour work in the round now. I think cables will be my next project too. Having read through detailed instructions I think I can probably do it! Can as use cocktail sticks as stitch holders? I used them on my socks...

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
You can use pretty much whatever you want in lieu of an actual cable needle, just so long as you can hold your stitches to the front or back of your work and then slip them back onto the right needle. Sometimes if I'm lazy I'll use a DPN of the right size so I can actually knit the stitches right off it without slipping them back.

My friend's got a pretty good tutorial for cables on her blog if anyone's trying to tackle them for the first time.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

Drei posted:

You can use pretty much whatever you want in lieu of an actual cable needle, just so long as you can hold your stitches to the front or back of your work and then slip them back onto the right needle. Sometimes if I'm lazy I'll use a DPN of the right size so I can actually knit the stitches right off it without slipping them back.

My friend's got a pretty good tutorial for cables on her blog if anyone's trying to tackle them for the first time.

Yeah, I just knit a scarf with cabling going both ways, and I only used a DPN and I was fine.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Halp!

At work, on the counter we have a basket full of Malabrigo Baby Lace. So I bought some.

Ravelry doesn't even have baby lace listed. What the hell is the difference between baby lace and regular lace?

I want to make this scarf but I don't want the thread to be so small that it looks like a ton of holes on my size 4 needles.

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.
Ok so I feel like a crazy person. I had been working on a scarf in stockinette a few months back and just recently picked it up. Except now while I am knitting one row, purling one row, its coming out garter. I've unraveled the recent work and started over again like five times and it's coming out garter every time. I figured I'd try just knitting in garter for a while and it looks the exact same as when I think I'm doing stockinette. I've never had this happen before, though I admit I am as amateur a knitter as can be, but what the heck am I doing wrong?

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Awesomonster posted:

Ok so I feel like a crazy person. I had been working on a scarf in stockinette a few months back and just recently picked it up. Except now while I am knitting one row, purling one row, its coming out garter. I've unraveled the recent work and started over again like five times and it's coming out garter every time. I figured I'd try just knitting in garter for a while and it looks the exact same as when I think I'm doing stockinette. I've never had this happen before, though I admit I am as amateur a knitter as can be, but what the heck am I doing wrong?

I'm super duper new to knitting, but maybe you're doing something weird like not turning your work and knitting backwards at the end of a row? That would make knit 1 row, purl 1 row look like garter instead of stockinette, right?

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

I thought that was it, and it could be I suppose, but I'm not knitting any differently than I normally do and I've never had a problem doing stockinette before. Also, I just started a new scarf with the same yarn and its still happening. How would that even happen, though? Not turning my work, I mean?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Awesomonster posted:

I thought that was it, and it could be I suppose, but I'm not knitting any differently than I normally do and I've never had a problem doing stockinette before. Also, I just started a new scarf with the same yarn and its still happening. How would that even happen, though? Not turning my work, I mean?

Can you take a picture for us?

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Are you knitting a tubular scarf on circular needles or dpns? That would make a difference...

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Wandering Knitter posted:

Can you take a picture for us?

Yeah, I'll see if I can get a good picture of it as soon as I can. The yarn is fuzzy so it might be hard to see the stitches, but I'll see what I can do.

Also, no, I'm not knitting in the round. Just two regular 6.5mm needles.

Edit: Well balls, my camera battery's dead. I'll definitely get a picture tomorrow. In the mean time I'll try to solve this mystery on my own.

Awesomonster fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jan 26, 2010

Fionnoulla
Jan 30, 2006

Drop the chalupa!
Are you knitting through the back loop and creating a twisted stitch maybe? If you get enough twisted stitches, I guess it could look ridgy, especially on a fuzzy yarn?

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?

Shnooks posted:

Halp!

At work, on the counter we have a basket full of Malabrigo Baby Lace. So I bought some.

Ravelry doesn't even have baby lace listed. What the hell is the difference between baby lace and regular lace?

I want to make this scarf but I don't want the thread to be so small that it looks like a ton of holes on my size 4 needles.

Fear not, gentle knitter! I bring aid!:

The Malabrigo lace listed on Ravelry is the Malabrigo baby lace, and it is a fingering weight. The "baby" does not refer to the weight, but rather of the age of the Merino sheep from which the wool comes. It comes from baby sheep.
(Which I suppose is much softer?)

Hope this helps.

Klams Jam
Sep 8, 2007
I'm stuck. Again. I totally suck at knitting unless I know 100% what I'm doing...

Anyway - I'm knitting my brother this hat - http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/jacques-cousteau-hat - and I'm stuck on the decreases. The pattern says

'The decreases are KKS (Knit-knit-slip= knit two stitches and then slip the first of these two over the second). First decrease round: Work 31 stitches in rib pattern, then KKS, place marker, knit 28/33 s in rib pattern, KKS, place marker, knit 33 s in rib pattern, KKS, place marker, knit 33 in rib pattern, KKS, place marker, purl 2. The following decrease rows: *Work to two stitches of marker, KKS, repeat from *.'

The way I'm doing it my decreases look weird, and not like they will spiral like on the pictures. I've un-knitted 5 rows or 140 stitches 3 times now cos I can't get it looking right. This is what mine is looking like (The W being the decrease and the V and - being knit and purl. I am currently camera-less.)
v v v v v w v --
v v v v w vvv --
v v v w -- vvv --
v v w vv -- vvv --
v w - vvv -- vvv --
w v -- vvv -- vvv --
vvv -- vvv -- vvv --

I'm knitting the rows above my decreases. I'm going to end up with huge knit sections after my decreases. The pictures of the finished ones dont look like that! Am I meant to be carrying on the 3k2p rib pattern after the decrease? If so how? I keep trying different things and I keep getting confused! :(

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

Fear not, gentle knitter! I bring aid!:

The Malabrigo lace listed on Ravelry is the Malabrigo baby lace, and it is a fingering weight. The "baby" does not refer to the weight, but rather of the age of the Merino sheep from which the wool comes. It comes from baby sheep.
(Which I suppose is much softer?)

Hope this helps.

Yes! This helps! That's what I thought, but then I started knitting and I was like what the hell this is so tiny.

Can you tell I've never knit anything lace before?

TauntTheOctopi
Mar 5, 2007
As if they could do anything about it!

Shnooks posted:

Halp!

There's one or two of those scarves done in lace weight on Ravelry and they still look pretty good, I think. Or you could knit it holding a strand of heavier weight yarn too.

concreteelephant
Jul 13, 2009

Klams Jam posted:

I'm stuck. Again. I totally suck at knitting unless I know 100% what I'm doing...

Anyway - I'm knitting my brother this hat - http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/jacques-cousteau-hat - and I'm stuck on the decreases. The pattern says

'The decreases are KKS (Knit-knit-slip= knit two stitches and then slip the first of these two over the second). First decrease round: Work 31 stitches in rib pattern, then KKS, place marker, knit 28/33 s in rib pattern, KKS, place marker, knit 33 s in rib pattern, KKS, place marker, knit 33 in rib pattern, KKS, place marker, purl 2. The following decrease rows: *Work to two stitches of marker, KKS, repeat from *.'

I've never posted in this thread before but I'll give it a go. You do continue in the rib pattern after the decrease. The spirals are created by pulling the yarn. When you decrease, you've created a space where there used to be two stitches but now there's only one. In lace knitting, you'd leave that space as a hole, but in regular knitting you just keep knitting in pattern. The next stitch after the decrease is pulled into the space created by the decrease, which gradually creates a spiral as the stitches are pulled to fill in the spaces made in each row.

So anyway, to continue the pattern in the first round of decreases, you knit the 31 stitches in pattern, so your 31st stitch should be a knit stitch (because you've done 6 complete repeats of the ribbing pattern and you're starting the next repeat, which starts with a knit stitch). Then you do your decrease, where you knit two stitches and slip one over the other. This means your next stitch after the decrease should be a purl stitch. This is because you are still knitting in pattern, so you've just knit three stitches (even though you now only have two) and now you need to purl two stitches because your pattern is K3, P2. If you're in doubt as to what to knit, look at the stitches in the row below what you're doing. if they are purl stitches, then purl and vice versa. So next you would knit 33 stitches which consists of the two purls after the decrease, plus 6 complete repeats of the ribbing pattern, and then one knit stitch. Decrease and keep going the same way each time.

In the rows after this first one, knit in pattern until you have one stitch before the decrease you did in the row before, so this first time that would be 30 stitches in (I think). Do your decrease with these two stitches, then continue working in pattern, starting with purl stitches. This will gradually pull the purl stitches into the spiral you see in the pattern picture.

I hope that wasn't too confusing, I've gotta go out for a little, but I can do up a bit of a mockup picture later if you are like me and get confused easily by written instructions instead of pictures. Or maybe someone else has a clearer explanation :).

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Shnooks posted:

Yes! This helps! That's what I thought, but then I started knitting and I was like what the hell this is so tiny.

Can you tell I've never knit anything lace before?

Malabrigo lace is definitely a LACE weight yarn, thinner than fingering weight. I'd knit it on size twos myself, although you can do whatever you want! I just like lace to look a little denser in the stockinette portions. But if you do it on 2s you might want to add pattern repeats, otherwise it'd be pretty small probably.

Klams Jam
Sep 8, 2007

concreteelephant posted:

I hope that wasn't too confusing, I've gotta go out for a little, but I can do up a bit of a mockup picture later if you are like me and get confused easily by written instructions instead of pictures. Or maybe someone else has a clearer explanation :).

I think I have it... I always purl 2 after the decrease? I just get easily confused in general! But I think what you said is what I thought it should be... I just couldn't work out how!

concreteelephant
Jul 13, 2009

Klams Jam posted:

I think I have it... I always purl 2 after the decrease? I just get easily confused in general! But I think what you said is what I thought it should be... I just couldn't work out how!

Yeah, just continue that purl rib up the hat by purling two after the decrease. I guess I could have just said that but I think I was kind of trying to explain it to myself as well.

hog wizard
Feb 16, 2005

by angerbeet
Posting for the gf:

I just finished a scarf this weekend (woohoo), however I have a concern. I am concerned that my scarf, especially the weaved-in ends, will come apart when I put it in the washing machine and/or hand wash it. Has this ever been a problem for your projects? Do the weaved-in ends come apart or stick out?

I tend to weave my ends in a U-shape a couple times and not in a straight line just to ensure that the ends will not unravel.

Are there any tips or advice on weaving the loose ends to make sure that this doesn’t become a problem? Thanks!

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Malabrigo lace is definitely a LACE weight yarn, thinner than fingering weight. I'd knit it on size twos myself, although you can do whatever you want! I just like lace to look a little denser in the stockinette portions. But if you do it on 2s you might want to add pattern repeats, otherwise it'd be pretty small probably.

UGH. My bad. Brain was on fire.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
I think I have a new love in my life. I can't stop knitting fingerless mittens.

I have four different knitting projects going on at any given time -- a hat, a squishy animal, fingerless mittens, and a scarf. I'm trying to get as much done as possible for a silent auction two weeks from now that's going to benefit the Haiti earthquake relief effort, and holy hell I'm up to my ears in yarn and I don't know how I'll finish all this poo poo in time and not go stark raving mad.

It's a fun ride though.

Klams Jam
Sep 8, 2007
I am still confused by my hat. I am blatantly 'special'. Stupid decreases. I think I'm just going to carry on regardless and pretend that I see no mistakes. My brother wont know the difference. I'll be lucky if I get a thank you!

Fionnoulla
Jan 30, 2006

Drop the chalupa!

Klams Jam posted:

I am still confused by my hat. I am blatantly 'special'. Stupid decreases. I think I'm just going to carry on regardless and pretend that I see no mistakes. My brother wont know the difference. I'll be lucky if I get a thank you!

Try running a lifeline before you start the decreases, then just knit it as best as you can but give it some time. I knit a WWII watchcap for my husband's friend and it honestly did not look right AT ALL for most of the decreasing. I was convinced I had totally hosed it all up but I got to the point where I didn't care anymore and just wanted to finish, so I kept going anyway (my plan was to inform him it was SUPPOSED to look that way and he just didn't understand art or something). Then all of the sudden I looked at it and it was perfect and exactly how it was supposed to be. You need enough on there to really make the pattern appear. If you keep working and then get toward the real end of it and it still looks all hosed, you can always rip it out to your lifeline and try again.

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
Same thing happened with a ribbed hat I knitted for my husband. I read the pattern wrong (as I am prone to do), so when I started decreasing, it just looked wrong and nothing at all like the picture on Ravelry. I finished it and gave it to him anyway, and I said something along the lines of "I'm sorry if it looks all hosed up. If you want, I'll frog and reknit it". He looked at it and honestly had no idea how I had messed it up, and said it looked great. A knitter's eyes are going to catch more mistakes than a non-knitters eyes, and especially if you are talking about males here. I do like the lifeline suggestion though. I need to start doing that myself.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Ma_NiC posted:

A knitter's eyes are going to catch more mistakes than a non-knitters eyes, and especially if you are talking about males here.

As a male knitter I still see every mistake I make when I see people wear my hats :(.

Also as far as whoever's hat looking messed up, maybej ust keep going like you said? Ribbing always looks screwed up to me until I get 5-10 rows in.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Awesomonster posted:

I just had this problem even though I know how to knit stockinette, I had the yarn facing the wrong way when I was purling (behind the needle instead of in front) and I made a garter stitch :downs:

Derp. It's dumb but a possibility.

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

I just had this problem even though I know how to knit stockinette, I had the yarn facing the wrong way when I was purling (behind the needle instead of in front) and I made a garter stitch :downs:

Derp. It's dumb but a possibility.

Haha, you know what, that's probably exactly what I've been doing without even noticing :doh: Next time I'm knitting I'll look and see, but that seems to make the most sense. I am a pretty big doof, I wouldn't be surprised.

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004

Fooley posted:

As a male knitter I still see every mistake I make when I see people wear my hats :(.

That's because you made it, though. Most men aren't going to be looking at anything that close and let's face it, most men don't knit. I certainly think it's awesome that you knit though :)

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Awesomonster posted:

Haha, you know what, that's probably exactly what I've been doing without even noticing :doh: Next time I'm knitting I'll look and see, but that seems to make the most sense. I am a pretty big doof, I wouldn't be surprised.

Welcome to the land of feeling dumb. I went over to my other knitty friend and said SHOW ME HOW TO PURL AGAIN and I watched her do it and went "gently caress me I'm an idiot."

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
So I've finally decided to tackle socks and am on the heel flap right now. I'm following the Yarn Harlot's "Good Plain Sock" pattern from her book, and the instructions say to work the heel for 28 rows "or until the flap is a square". Well, 28 rows later and the length of my heel flap is a little more than half the width. Should I just keep on knitting back and forth until the dimensions are one to one, or are all the extra rows going to mess me up later?

I think part of the problem may be that I'm using a 9" circular instead of DPNs so working back and forth on that is likely tightening the stitches. Should I get the DPNs and redo the heel flap instead?

VV Thanks, I feel less worried now.

Drei fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 29, 2010

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Drei posted:

So I've finally decided to tackle socks and am on the heel flap right now. I'm following the Yarn Harlot's "Good Plain Sock" pattern from her book, and the instructions say to work the heel for 28 rows "or until the flap is a square". Well, 28 rows later and the length of my heel flap is a little more than half the width. Should I just keep on knitting back and forth until the dimensions are one to one, or are all the extra rows going to mess me up later?

I think part of the problem may be that I'm using a 9" circular instead of DPNs so working back and forth on that is likely tightening the stitches. Should I get the DPNs and redo the heel flap instead?

I usually do mine about 2 1/4 inches. I don't think it has to be a square, the important thing is that it's the right length for your heel - try holding it up to your actual foot to get an idea. Mine are definitely usually more rectangular.

Once you're done turning the heel you will pick up stitches along each side of the flap, so however long it is is however many stitches you'll pick up, and then you'll decrease those away.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I just want to say that thanks to the yarn trading thread in SA-Mart I've become completely addicted to Lamb's Pride yarn.

I've already used up the few balls I've gotten along with another two I picked up on ebay. God drat it why can't I find this in my state? :argh:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

I have made many things since I last spoke to you lovely knitters!

A felted purse from SnB without the silly I-Cord and attached pouch. Derp.

A pair of cellphone cozies for myself and my boyfriend who decided he wanted one after I made mine!

And I looooove this from Breean Miller's Neck Truffle pattern on Ravelry :

PUMPIN' 'EM OUT HECK YEAH

So much fun. :3:

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
I really like those Captain Stinkybutt Your name make me :3:
I'm looking for a really soft yarn that doesn't felt. Any recs?
E: In worsted weight please!

Dancingthroughlife fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 30, 2010

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Dancingthroughlife posted:

I really like those Captain Stinkybutt Your name make me :3:
I'm looking for a really soft yarn that doesn't felt. Any recs?
E: In worsted weight please!

I made a blanket out of Cascade 220 superwash and really liked it. It's not as soft as cashmere or anything but I liked it a lot, not to mention the price was pretty good considering.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008
This thread inspired me to try knitting! I started a few months ago and have been messing around with lots of different types of stitches to get comfortable with the basic motions of knit and purl and have finally almost finished my first trial project. I'm working on a Slouch Hat (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/the-slouch-hat) and I'm confused about the final instructions. Here's what it looks like so far with my cheapo yarn:

The pattern called for a provisional cast on, but said I could use a regular cast on if I chose and would be OK with having a seam. (That's why both edges appear to be bound off) For now, that's fine. Because of that, I don't have any live stitches to pull the hat together. That's fine too, because I'll just weave together the sides with a needle. What I don't understand is how to pull the top/circle together with these instructions:

"Run the yarn thru the stitch bumps at the very rim of the top of the hat and synch together."

Am I just supposed to run the yarn through those bumps and then pull it together as tightly as I can? I would think that'd make something of a clump at the base. The sample photo in the pattern looks more like it's flat.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Is it possible to post the photo from the pattern? The ones on Ravelry don't really show that part so I can't really guess at how it SHOULD look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008
This was included in the pattern. I assume since I'm not reposting the directions in whole, it's OK to share this. I hope?