Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

proudfoot
Jul 17, 2006
Yak! Look! a Yak!

Mister Kingdom posted:

I'll bet there are some people who bought it who will swear it's better than the Oppo.

Ding!

Heres another review swearing that the Lexicon is better than the Oppo, published slightly before the audioholics one.

http://hometheaterreview.com/lexicon-bd-30-universal-blu-ray-player-reviewed/

quote:

I am sure people will attack this player as a "rebadged" Oppo, so I went out and bought an Oppo BD-83 SE in order to fairly compare the two. First off, there is no comparison between the build quality of the two players. The Oppo is lighter and the buttons have a far less solid feel to them. The Lexicon is a taller, much heftier unit. Black levels were close, but the Lexicon had a more natural contrast and color palette than the Oppo. More importantly, the Lexicon was nearly totally silent when loading discs and changing tracks. Those familiar with the Oppo know it is a rather noisy player when loading discs, switching tracks and scanning, even sometimes for no apparent reason. The drive is in the Oppo is noisy enough to catch my attention during quiet passages in movies, while the Lexicon is inaudible during use at all times.

Differences! It's heavier, so it's got to be better, its bigger too. (Maybe because its an Oppo stuck inside a case?)

Oh also, the colors are more natural, uhh, black levels are the same, since we can verify that with a test pattern, but colors are kind of hard to verify.

Also, from a few months ago.

quote:

I love all of you guys who see that the Lexicon is using the Oppo chassis and electronics layout and automatically assume that it's a rip off with a shiny front at loads more money.... and yet wait..... have any of you been able to do a direct comparison between the two, do you know what's been changed inside, have you even actually seen a Lexicon working?!

If the Lexicon offers just a small picture upgrade on the Oppo, plus better audio replay (the Oppos CD replay is abysmal - and no I don't mean for people who think that Denon make great CD players!) then owners of Lexicon gear will be more than happy to buy and the likelihood will be that they'll be more than pleased with it.

Don't assume that just because something seems dear to you and doesn't offer much of an upgrade over a similar product, that the 20% increase you get for the extra money isn't appealing to someone who can afford it.

Also, don't moan about what bad value something is until you've actually seen it working against the thing it's based on.

If you want the car analogy, look a Mercedes and then look at a Maybach. Same car, way way more expensive. Still it's a better car and people buy it.

proudfoot fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I found this gem while searching for reviews of the new Wilson Audio Sasha:

Beerdraft at AudioAficionado.org posted:

Ok, the B&W to Sasha was huge, the C500T to the REX was huge, this rack may take the crown as the single most improvement of one component and they aren't done with what they can do according to the manual. I got the Critical Mass Systems Platinum racks in today. It warns you that upon first putting them together that they will sound listenable and ok but they will change undeniably over the next 300 hours or so and at times may not be listenable during this time. Well at first listen it was astounding the difference. The stage was definitely more transparent. The biggest thing I got right away was the bottom end got even better which I had no problem with the bottom before, thought it was as good as I had heard, then the "ch", the "T" and the "S" of everything had a chhht or a tee' or a sssts to it so to speak that I'm not sure I heard anywhere else ever before so nice except in Glenn Poors Audio when I heard the Sasha for the first time and the equipment was on Critical Mass System Racks. This is one of the things that made me sell my entire system was the explanation point on everything. The BAT stuff over the Mcintosh and Wilson Sasha over the B&W got me somewhat there but this rack is the final piece to the puzzle of sound. I'm just at the beginning the break in which they say is a good chance to listen now but be prepared for it to change for the better or the worse over the next 300 hours till it settles in. In the bass guitar I hear more of the upper frequency rattle of strumming a bass guitar. Its very hard to explain but everything just got naturally beautiful even more so. My pre is tube and my amps are solid state but these racks just made it as good and airy but more natural than any tube sound and the emphasis of the above is more so than I think I've ever heard in any sound system ever but if you hear it live you do hear that stuff. If this stays as it is or gets even better then this will be the best $17k I've spent for sure. I tried to explain this to and you will have to forgive me as I know you don't know me that well but my audio buddies know I'm not so brite and I don't know the audio terms a lot of people know but I do know what and how to listen and I'm telling you that these racks made an immediate improvement over my previous racks and to explain it is hard for me but to hear it is easy.

That's right. 300 hours to break in an audio rack. A $17,000 audio rack. That he considers to be a more significant change in sound than switching brands of speakers.

I have no problem defending a lot of the things in the audiophile world, but this one is beyond me.

Also, CES just finished up. Check out http://spintricity.com/64/6490/jan-2010/ces-2010---day-1-forth-floor-flamingo and the following pages for some pretty good photos of the audio rooms.

TheMadMilkman fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jan 17, 2010

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

While googling some info on speakers I found this rather strange statement on the head fi forums:

quote:

Highs
I played the album New For MS made by Roni Size Reprazent to see how well they do with highs. I also played The Songs by Samuel Barber.

The highs are detailed. Very detailed. The cymbals sound like they should sound. You can tell everything apart. Nothing muffled here like there is in the mids. The vocals are clear. I don’t have a woman here to check out how it sounds in reality, but I imagine this is quite close.

I would say the highs are the biggest plus for these speakers.

Can the sound of a woman be improved by adding a packet of rocks though?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Can the sound of a woman be improved by adding a packet of rocks though?

Cast the first stone and find out.

proudfoot
Jul 17, 2006
Yak! Look! a Yak!

TheMadMilkman posted:

That's right. 300 hours to break in an audio rack. A $17,000 audio rack. That he considers to be a more significant change in sound than switching brands of speakers.

I have no problem defending a lot of the things in the audiophile world, but this one is beyond me.

Also, CES just finished up. Check out http://spintricity.com/64/6490/jan-2010/ces-2010---day-1-forth-floor-flamingo and the following pages for some pretty good photos of the audio rooms.

How the hell would anyone justify a break-in period required for a rack? Can I sell special audiophile grade carpeting that requires a break-in as well?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

proudfoot posted:

How the hell would anyone justify a break-in period required for a rack? Can I sell special audiophile grade carpeting that requires a break-in as well?
You can sell special audiophile grade anything.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The less thought of plausibility you put into it the better.

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Intergalactic proton-powered electrical tentacled REFRIGERATOR OF DOOM.

proudfoot posted:

This is genius. You could make a mint selling audiophile rugs. "Minimize reflections and electromagnetic interference with our patented sonicshag™ technology. Each synthetic-blend fiber of our rugs is woven into a rubberized mat which provides cleaner, punchier bass. The copper threads used in the construction of the mat, meanwhile, absorb and diffuse electromagnetic interference. Placing your stereo system on the SonicShag™ will create a more realistic soundstage, with cleaner bass and a richer, more naturally colored experience."

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

proudfoot posted:

How the hell would anyone justify a break-in period required for a rack?

Read their website, it's quite entertaining:

http://www.criticalmasssystems.com/

proudfoot
Jul 17, 2006
Yak! Look! a Yak!

fahrvergnugen posted:

This is genius. You could make a mint selling audiophile rugs. "Minimize reflections and electromagnetic interference with our patented sonicshag™ technology. Each synthetic-blend fiber of our rugs is woven into a rubberized mat which provides cleaner, punchier bass. The copper threads used in the construction of the mat, meanwhile, absorb and diffuse electromagnetic interference. Placing your stereo system on the SonicShag™ will create a more realistic soundstage, with cleaner bass and a richer, more naturally colored experience."

Discrete, cost effective room treatments! Dampens noise and eliminates dead zones with our proprietary MonoSound isolation treatment. Wife approved, made from 100% Tibetan Llama wool.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

TheMadMilkman posted:

The products site claims : "Critical Mass Systems have an indefinite life-expectancy at optimal efficiency. You’ll never worry about your isolation system wearing out. You’ll get the same great performance day-in and day-out. Furthermore, digital and analog components benefit to the same degree. You’ll never worry about a fall-off in performance going from tubes to solid state or vice versa. Finally, Critical Mass Systems do not require adjustments to perform at their optimal level. That’s right you never need to adjust anything, not even when you change components. Never ever."

So you have to break it in, but you can NEVER wear it out. Clearly they're doing a lot for your sound if you can't make it perform less than optimal...

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That site looks like it just came from the 90's.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
This part was my favourite:

quote:

What will Critical Mass Systems do for my audio and video system?
6. They are designed to remove the “black wall” from your soundstage. Testing and research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity. When coloration is removed from the sound stage instruments and voices become solidly and realistically positioned and sound more like live events.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
What language is he speaking? It sounds like English, but I can't derive any meaning from it. It's just nonsense.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

What will Critical Mass Systems do for my audio and video system?
6. They are designed to remove the “black wall” from your soundstage. Testing and research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity. When coloration is removed from the sound stage instruments and voices become solidly and realistically positioned and sound more like live events.

There's so much bullshit in it, I don't even know where to start. It's like, every word is crap, but they also link with the adjacent word to form a new level of crap, and it keeps adding like a pyramid of feces.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Ahahahahaha that guy is scamming them and he knows it. That is the most nonsensical bullshit ever printed, and there have been some serious doozies in that category. I want to shake his hand, he saw a niche in the rich obsessive moron audiophile market and went for it.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Can you listen to blues music on a setup that removes coloration?

Buggerlugs
Aug 27, 2003

"All right, Bellamy came on at Liverpool and did well, but everybody
thinks that he's the saviour, he's Jesus Christ. He's not Jesus Christ"
Well these are dainty:

http://spintricity.com/64/6490/jan-...go-continued-19

Princess
Oct 11, 2009

That's it, man. Game over, man. Game over!

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

Wow. If I ever get into legal troubles, I'm hiring Critical Mass as my lawyer. According to my Guinness Book, those few sentences have the highest incidence of logical fallacy in the whole, wide, colorful world. Incredible.

Buggerlugs posted:

Well these are dainty:

http://spintricity.com/64/6490/jan-...go-continued-19

In case anybody cares, I think those are Magnepan's. Probably the most expensive speakers there are. Audioholics doesn't have a review of them. Does anyone know of a non-magical review of them? I'd be interested to know if there is actually any value to them.

Princess fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 19, 2010

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

kuffs posted:

What language is he speaking? It sounds like English, but I can't derive any meaning from it. It's just nonsense.

He's speaking in audio feng shui. I'm concerned that the racks would remove the black from my black metal. :black101:

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

NFX posted:

Can you listen to blues music on a setup that removes coloration?

You can, but the artist will roll over in his grave, then clean out. He'll haunt you when you listen to his recordings, forcing you to feel moody and oppressed.

For the low low cost for $4,999, I'll sell you window treatments that will prevent the souls of the artist from entering your listening environment, if you're really interested in finding out what blues without emotion is like*

*anti-psychosis meds recommended**

**audiophile grade anti-psychosis meds(C6H12O6) available for purchase

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Devian666 posted:

He's speaking in audio feng shui. I'm concerned that the racks would remove the black from my black metal. :black101:

Audiophiles do not listen to black metal.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
If I could only find some way to combine audiophile bullshit with a cult I'd be the richest rear end in a top hat on earth.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 20, 2010

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

If I could only find some way to combine audiophile bullshit with a cult I'd be the richest ashsole on earth.

Audiotology would make a great spin off of Scientology.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

HKR posted:

Audiophiles do not listen to black metal.

Lucky I'm not an audiophile then.

e: I'm pretty sure audiophiles don't listen to music at all. They seem to hallucinate music, and their perception of the world appears to be firmly based in fantasy.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 20, 2010

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Audiophiles use music as a necessary evil to hear their precious, precious gear.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Agreed posted:

Audiophiles use music as a necessary evil to hear their precious, precious gear.

We should sell them special tone testing audio dvds with a free canister of audio-grade air.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Princess posted:

In case anybody cares, I think those are Magnepan's. Probably the most expensive speakers there are. Audioholics doesn't have a review of them. Does anyone know of a non-magical review of them? I'd be interested to know if there is actually any value to them.

Not Magnepans. Those are Sound Lab Majestics. They're electrostats and, if I remember correctly, pretty much have to be that big to reproduce the full audio spectrum. I've never heard them, unfortunately.

I have, however, had the opportunity to hear the Magnepan 20.1, their top-of-the-line speaker. It was almost 6 years ago and with unfamiliar music, but I remember thinking that they were very capable for the price ($12,500) and great at reproducing stringed instruments, but something about their sound bothered my ears. I didn't have enough time to figure out exactly what, but I could hear enough good things that I could understand why somebody would love them. I can't say the same thing for plenty of other speakers.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

fishmech posted:

If I could only find some way to combine audiophile bullshit with a cult I'd be the richest rear end in a top hat on earth.

Steve Jobs beat you to that.

davepsilon
Oct 12, 2009
audiophile grade bomb detector - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/newsnight/8471187.stm

BBC posted:

The Iraqi government has spent $85m on the ADE-651 and there are concerns that they have failed to stop bomb attacks that have killed hundreds of people ... Mr McCormick (company founder) told the BBC in a previous interview that "the theory behind dowsing and the theory behind how we actually detect explosives is very similar.

yes that is dowsing as in "there is water under this here two pronged stick"-owsing.

edit:

BBC posted:

There are no batteries and it consists of a swivelling aerial mounted to a hinge on a hand-grip

I read that line and instantly thought there has to be a way to market this to audiophiles.

davepsilon fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 24, 2010

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
It saddens me that governments are stupid enough to pay for those things, but I hope that guy goes to jail forever. That's not separating fools from money. That's getting people killed.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

King Hotpants posted:

It saddens me that governments are stupid enough to pay for those things, but I hope that guy goes to jail forever. That's not separating fools from money. That's getting people killed.

It's like no one even tested it.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Elentor posted:

It's like no one even tested it.

The article says that "it won't work if the user is stressed or has a high heart rate". So in other words, blame the operator, and not the device.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Haquer posted:

The article says that "it won't work if the user is stressed or has a high heart rate". So in other words, blame the operator, and not the device.

"Bill just poo poo his pants again, guess he's off bomb inspection duty for the day."

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

That's really disgusting. How could any government spend nearly a hundred million dollars on something that so clearly reeks of bullshit? That son of a bitch needs to spend a lot of time in an unpleasant prison, if I were him I would have nightmares every night of all the people who are killed and maimed because of the bullshit he's selling.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Agreed posted:

That's really disgusting. How could any government spend nearly a hundred million dollars on something that so clearly reeks of bullshit? That son of a bitch needs to spend a lot of time in an unpleasant prison, if I were him I would have nightmares every night of all the people who are killed and maimed because of the bullshit he's selling.

People are gullible. Why do people still fall for nigerian scams and audiophile grade strap-ons? Gullible.

I'm sure part of the problem in parts of the world are consumer protection laws which make people believe any bullshit they're told.

The British government will go to great lengths to shaft this guy for what he has done.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Devian666 posted:

People are gullible. Why do people still fall for nigerian scams and audiophile grade strap-ons? Gullible.

I'm sure part of the problem in parts of the world are consumer protection laws which make people believe any bullshit they're told.

The British government will go to great lengths to shaft this guy for what he has done.

Persons are gullible. Governments should work hard not to contract out nearly a hundred million bucks on a bunch of idiotic nonsense, though. There's a responsibility there and this is a lack of due diligence on their part in addition to the total sleazebag rear end in a top hat peddling the snake oil that gets people hospitalized if they're lucky.

I say that like this is the only moronic boondoggle in government history; it's just that this one is so stupid on its face that I'm amazed it happened... At least I can kind of see where other governments were trying to go with some other big-budget failures, but DOWSING for MINES?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Locally the Ministry of Social Development employs meth addicts and fraudsters to keep unemployment figures low. Probably spent more than $89m on that sort of stupidity.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Someone should sell an audiophile air conditioning unit that makes the air more sonically neutral. Send me half the profits. I think a cardboard box with a rubber band inside should do the trick. The key is selling it for $15,000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Elephanthead posted:

Someone should sell an audiophile air conditioning unit that makes the air more sonically neutral. Send me half the profits. I think a cardboard box with a rubber band inside should do the trick. The key is selling it for $15,000.

Just slap a new logo on one of those ionic breeze machines