Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Bieeardo posted:

This one sounds like Rolling Thunder to me.

Rollersnake posted:

I haven't played this myself, but it sounds like Vendetta.

These both look to be right. I'm amazed since I remembered so little, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

secretplot
Apr 20, 2007
That's MISTER Buns to the likes of you.

Red Budenovka posted:

This is a "dragon shoot'em up" of which I saw videos on youtube a while ago.

I thought the name was Drakengard but I don't recognize it when I looked it up recently. It too had multiple endings apparently, most of them depressing. The final boss-battle is a giant statue/angel/god of sorts that comes crashing down into a city and you have to circle it and bounce back soundwaves (songs?) which the statue-thing shoots out against you.

?
warning spoilers ahead!

Placebo
Sep 21, 2009
This is an old repost but no one figured it out last time and it's been bothering me for almost 5 years now.

It's a learning game, you play as a dog and the enemies are aliens. You wander around the levels, I remember the first level being just a normal town, then there was desert level(I think it was at night) and a forest level. I remember the sounds having a really creepy feel, I think they had a lot of howling. I remember using a forcefield, and I think you powered it by answering questions correctly, but I may be wrong.

LPAS
Oct 3, 2005

Wat er ook gebeurt, leer er mee leven.
I think this is probably a SNES game, an RPG to be exactly. For the first part of the game you have to unseal a tower, which I believed is told to you by a guy on a cloud, by clearing 4 dungeons, each of one of the 4 elements. The first one was located in a desert I think and the boss of the dungeon was the skeleton of a dinosaur. You primarily fought alone, but for each dungeon another guy would assist you and give you an item or teach you a skill. For the first dungeon it was a guy who gave you bombs I think. For the fire dungeon there was a guy called Reuben(?) who gave you either a hookshot or some sort of morning star.
In battles the enemy was represented by a static image, which would change as you dealt more damage, showing them in a weakened state as you chopped away about 50% of their health.
Your health was shown by default as yellow bars which would turn red as you took damage, but you could also change the settings as to show regular HP numbers.

Anyone have any idea what game I'm talking about?

edit: Acutally, I think you got a crystal for each of the 4 dungeons to open the tower? And I believe the final boss of the game was a green guy with like 8 arms, each wielding a different weapon. And you fought him in space.

LPAS fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jan 14, 2010

Red Budenovka
Oct 28, 2007
Going to grandma's house with vodka and bliny.

al-azad posted:

The final boss of Drakengard is a giant angelic statue thingy in the middle of a city and you bounce white rings against it. The game also has multiple horribly depressing endings.

I'm 100% positive it's Drakengard.

It was Drakengard! Youtube threw me a curveball since typing 'drakengard final boss' takes to you to the Legna videos. But after reading your post I found "chapter 13" which is the battle I referred to. Thanks a lot!

Red Budenovka fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 14, 2010

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

LPAS posted:

I think this is probably a SNES game, an RPG to be exactly. For the first part of the game you have to unseal a tower, which I believed is told to you by a guy on a cloud, by clearing 4 dungeons, each of one of the 4 elements. The first one was located in a desert I think and the boss of the dungeon was the skeleton of a dinosaur. You primarily fought alone, but for each dungeon another guy would assist you and give you an item or teach you a skill. For the first dungeon it was a guy who gave you bombs I think. For the fire dungeon there was a guy called Reuben(?) who gave you either a hookshot or some sort of morning star.
In battles the enemy was represented by a static image, which would change as you dealt more damage, showing them in a weakened state as you chopped away about 50% of their health.
Your health was shown by default as yellow bars which would turn red as you took damage, but you could also change the settings as to show regular HP numbers.

Anyone have any idea what game I'm talking about?

edit: Acutally, I think you got a crystal for each of the 4 dungeons to open the tower? And I believe the final boss of the game was a green guy with like 8 arms, each wielding a different weapon. And you fought him in space.

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest for the SNES.

secretplot
Apr 20, 2007
That's MISTER Buns to the likes of you.

Meepy posted:

It was for SNES, I think.
Pretty sure it was a JRPG, pretty sure it wasn't Final Fantasy, pretty sure in battles you would have an enemies at the top in front of you kind of view, sort of like EarthBound. My most vivid memories of the game as a child were block puzzles I couldn't figure out and fighting this guy who looked like a marshmallow.

Can't for the life of me remember what it is, been trying to find it again for years.

I know Lufia was already suggested, but maybe Lufia 2? That introduced Capsule Monsters, creatures who you get to keep as party members once they're defeated. Foomy looks a bit like a marshmallow.

Also Lufia 2 has block puzzles, Lufia 1 doesn't.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I throw this one into these threads once in a while and I'm starting to think I must have dreamed it or something.

Arcade game that's at least 20 years old. I saw it at a bolwing alley. I remember it being a Mario platformer but at this point I'm thinking it must have just looked a lot like Mario. The one thing I remember is watching the guy playing it come upon a giant pie. He tried to jump over it but it was too big and he went to another screen. I'm not sure if the pie killed him, or if it was the end of the level or what but I'd really like to know what the hell this is.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
Trying to figure out a game for a mate of mine.

Apparently it was on windows 95 or 98, and was a vehicular combat game of some kind, it may have had the words 'Green' or 'Dogs' in the title.

There were lots of beaches, and jungles, and you had guns on your vehicle (the vehicle itself had a red health bar). You could get out of your vehicle and take other ones, and there were barrels you could shoot.

Most of the vehicles were pick-up trucks, but you started out in a sand buggy type thing, apparently in the tutorial you had to complete a certain track on a muddy/sandy road and collect yellow ducks as checkpoints. He thinks when you got out of the vehicle you could throw grenades, and it came on CD. That's about all he remembers. I've seen some miracles worked in this thread so I figured what the hell.

Thanks goons :3:

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dr_Amazing posted:

I throw this one into these threads once in a while and I'm starting to think I must have dreamed it or something.

Arcade game that's at least 20 years old. I saw it at a bolwing alley. I remember it being a Mario platformer but at this point I'm thinking it must have just looked a lot like Mario. The one thing I remember is watching the guy playing it come upon a giant pie. He tried to jump over it but it was too big and he went to another screen. I'm not sure if the pie killed him, or if it was the end of the level or what but I'd really like to know what the hell this is.

I'm guessing the original Donkey Kong. Screen 4 is the Pie Factory, and there are indeed several large pies. Mario does in fact try to jump over them, often unsuccessfully.

Catbasketry
Jan 12, 2010

TehGherkin posted:

Trying to figure out a game for a mate of mine.

Apparently it was on windows 95 or 98, and was a vehicular combat game of some kind, it may have had the words 'Green' or 'Dogs' in the title.

There were lots of beaches, and jungles, and you had guns on your vehicle (the vehicle itself had a red health bar). You could get out of your vehicle and take other ones, and there were barrels you could shoot.

Most of the vehicles were pick-up trucks, but you started out in a sand buggy type thing, apparently in the tutorial you had to complete a certain track on a muddy/sandy road and collect yellow ducks as checkpoints. He thinks when you got out of the vehicle you could throw grenades, and it came on CD. That's about all he remembers. I've seen some miracles worked in this thread so I figured what the hell.

Thanks goons :3:

Wow, that's a tough one. A GameFaqs search turned up no racing or vehicle combat game with Green or Dogs in the title, except for a John Deere game (I poo poo you not) that came out in 2009. A search on Google filtered to site:gamefaqs.com on the words "yellow ducks" and/or "dune buggy" and "trucks" turned up nothing too. Any more info?

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
I remember renting a couple of games for the Genesis which I have since forgotten the names of. One was a Mario Kart clone which had "cool" characters, I remember there being an Elvis character and a biker and so on. One of the tracks I think was an airfield, and you could see hangars in the background. The other was a platform game where you played as a variety of animals, one of which (I think it was the main character) was an elephant, and it had a circus theme. Can anyone help with remembering them?

Similarly, I remember a couple of old PC games I played round my grandparents, but not their titles. One was a point-and-click adventure where you could choose to start at one of several "chapters," and it was on loads of CDs. The art style was very Disney-cartoon and it may have had animated cutscenes. I remember one room had a giant scorpion in it, and you controlled a princess-like woman. To get past the scorpion you had to do something very quickly or it grabbed you.

The second was a sort of extreme sport football game where your players had rollerblades and there were weapon pickups on the pitch like a stun missile and a mine, as well as spike traps and ramps and things. The pitch was a sort of bowl-shape with the best items at the top of the bowl and the traps in the middle. It was very basic 3D, as far as I can remember.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
There was a game where the plot twist was that the big villain was making a superweapon... which was a big railgun that shot out smaller railguns
what am I thinking of

it might have been a movie or something instead i don't know

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006

Francois Kofko posted:

There was a game where the plot twist was that the big villain was making a superweapon... which was a big railgun that shot out smaller railguns
what am I thinking of

it might have been a movie or something instead i don't know

Ace Combat 6 has a plot with a giant railgun as its big twist, is that it?

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Bob Smith posted:

I remember renting a couple of games for the Genesis which I have since forgotten the names of. One was a Mario Kart clone which had "cool" characters, I remember there being an Elvis character and a biker and so on. One of the tracks I think was an airfield, and you could see hangars in the background. The other was a platform game where you played as a variety of animals, one of which (I think it was the main character) was an elephant, and it had a circus theme. Can anyone help with remembering them?

The first game sounds like a PC game called Wacky Wheels, or perhaps Skunny Kart. The second one you mention might be Rolo to the Rescue.

quote:

Similarly, I remember a couple of old PC games I played round my grandparents, but not their titles. One was a point-and-click adventure where you could choose to start at one of several "chapters," and it was on loads of CDs. The art style was very Disney-cartoon and it may have had animated cutscenes. I remember one room had a giant scorpion in it, and you controlled a princess-like woman. To get past the scorpion you had to do something very quickly or it grabbed you.

Sounds a bit like Toonstruck, but I think that's only 2 CDs and I don't think it has anything to do with any princess.

quote:

The second was a sort of extreme sport football game where your players had rollerblades and there were weapon pickups on the pitch like a stun missile and a mine, as well as spike traps and ramps and things. The pitch was a sort of bowl-shape with the best items at the top of the bowl and the traps in the middle. It was very basic 3D, as far as I can remember.

I know exactly what game you're talking about because that game took me years to track down. Sadly, I forgot the name.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006

Grawl posted:

The first game sounds like a PC game called Wacky Wheels, or perhaps Skunny Kart. The second one you mention might be Rolo to the Rescue.

Sounds a bit like Toonstruck, but I think that's only 2 CDs and I don't think it has anything to do with any princess.

I know exactly what game you're talking about because that game took me years to track down. Sadly, I forgot the name.

The first one is definitely not Wacky Wheels, I remember the characters being nearly all human and the graphics being better.

Rolo to the Rescue is definitely right though, I remember only getting to play it once but it was pretty good.

As to Toonstruck, that's definitely not it. It was wholly animated, not FMV. Thinking more on it, it may have been a Sierra game.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Bob Smith posted:

The first one is definitely not Wacky Wheels, I remember the characters being nearly all human and the graphics being better.

Rock 'N Roll Racing, perhaps?

quote:

Rolo to the Rescue is definitely right though, I remember only getting to play it once but it was pretty good.

drat hard too.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Bob Smith posted:

As to Toonstruck, that's definitely not it. It was wholly animated, not FMV. Thinking more on it, it may have been a Sierra game.

This is King's Quest VII.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
So two games for me, from like 15 years ago, my memories of them are insanely vague so bear with me.

1) Sidescrolling platformer/adventure/rpg(maybe?) You were a dude on a space ship, I think. You got to run around the space ship, do some stuff on it. Then occasionally you'd get off the space ship, put on a suit and run around these weird planets looking for something. I think for some planets there was a limited amount of time you could spend on them cause they were toxic or something. I think your ship would also break sometimes and you had to find pieces to fix it.

2) Some kind of a space strategy game. You were supposed to send out probes to planets to see if they were inhabitable or had resources, then you'd build bases on them. I think the ultimate goal was to get to planet Earth?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

DreadCthulhu posted:

So two games for me, from like 15 years ago, my memories of them are insanely vague so bear with me.

1) Sidescrolling platformer/adventure/rpg(maybe?) You were a dude on a space ship, I think. You got to run around the space ship, do some stuff on it. Then occasionally you'd get off the space ship, put on a suit and run around these weird planets looking for something. I think for some planets there was a limited amount of time you could spend on them cause they were toxic or something. I think your ship would also break sometimes and you had to find pieces to fix it.

Solar Jetman?

Psychorider
May 15, 2009

DreadCthulhu posted:

2) Some kind of a space strategy game. You were supposed to send out probes to planets to see if they were inhabitable or had resources, then you'd build bases on them. I think the ultimate goal was to get to planet Earth?

That sounds like Reunion.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006

Rollersnake posted:

This is King's Quest VII.

Thanks a bunch! Seeing that brought all the memories of failing at that game back.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Catbasketry posted:

First off, there was a Doom-clone I read about years ago in PC Gamer or some such, but never played. The review mentioned that during multiplayer, characters could pick up a camouflage item that made them appear as a tree. Ring any bells?

I want to say Hexen, but I never played it beyond the first level, so I'm not sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexen

DreadCthulhu posted:

Yay, I get to answer one! This is Millennium: Return to Earth (Also called Millennium 2.2). One of my favorites. I still go back and play it all the time.

http://www.thehouseofgames.net/index.php?t=10&id=110

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_2.2

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 28, 2010

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

E: gently caress, sorry for the double post

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

al-azad posted:

Solar Jetman?

Hmm that one is a bit too arcadish. The one I remember was much more slower paced. Almost reminds me of a side-scrolling mass-effect.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Doctor Zero posted:

Yay, I get to answer one! This is Millennium: Return to Earth (Also called Millennium 2.2). One of my favorites. I still go back and play it all the time.

http://www.thehouseofgames.net/index.php?t=10&id=110

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_2.2

I think it's this one, thanks! I honestly barely remember the looks of it, that game's from 21 years ago for God sake lol.

Edit: 23 years ago on DOS apparently. Holy loving poo poo I feel old.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Bob Smith posted:

Street Racer?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Racer

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

Street Racer?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Racer

That's the one, yes!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

DreadCthulhu posted:

I think it's this one, thanks! I honestly barely remember the looks of it, that game's from 21 years ago for God sake lol.

Edit: 23 years ago on DOS apparently. Holy loving poo poo I feel old.

If you feel up to it, the Atari ST version is a lot better.

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm looking for an old RPG. The basic premise was to get powerful and gain allies to eventually fight a spider queen (I think). It has tiles and is viewed from above. It might have had randomly generated elements, but I cant remember. I do remember three distinctive things though- You always started in the same pre-generated town, some of the spells you could cast were AOE and it was represented with a bunch of green squares if you could cast or red if you couldn't, and last it had an expansion you could purchase that featured a frozen/wintery land.

LiterallyAnything fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 30, 2010

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

Brady posted:

I'm looking for an old RPG. The basic premise was to get powerful and gain allies to eventually fight a spider queen (I think). It has tiles and is viewed from above. It might have had randomly generated elements, but I cant remember. I do remember three distinctive things though- You always started in the same pre-generated town, some of the spells you could cast were AOE and it was represented with a bunch of green squares if you could cast or red if you couldn't, and last it had an expansion you could purchase that featured a frozen/wintery land.

Realmz. Looks like they have released the base game for free if you check their site.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Realmz just reminded me of an RPG I played a good while ago. It was a PC RPG and I only played the demo of it around the same time Return to Castle Wolfenstein came out. It was top down, tile based with isometric buildings and crudely drawn sprites with a graphical style similar to Exile and Avernum. Like Realmz it was more or less an engine for people to build custom scenarios (I think it called them "stories") on it.

The scenario that I played involved some orc/troll woman who had a power called the Dreamweaver or something which did a lot of damage in combat. The unique aspect about the game was that you actually rolled virtual dice and saw them flop around the screen.

The demo disc came with an issue of PC Gamer Magazine and they devoted a few pages to it. Could never remember the name since and I can't find the demo even on their website.

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin

Saint Septimus posted:

Realmz. Looks like they have released the base game for free if you check their site.

That's definitely it, thanks! drat you guys are good.

This is a little more challenging-

It's a space Galaga type game (I know there are thousands) with good looking space backgrounds that change each (level/ boss)? It's newer-ish than most Galaga type games. There were shield power-ups in the game, and I believe you could power your weapon up to something like three times. Very smooth game play (you used your mouse). I can't remember anything that really set this game apart except for the backgrounds.

I know there are hundreds of games that probably fit this description but I've never been able to find that specific one.

I Know the Answer to That
Jan 26, 2005
I'm a caring potato.
looking for the name of an old RTS starship troopers game that i remember playing years ago. it sort of played like operation flashpoint: resistance (if that helps) in that you'd start with troops that would get stronger the longer they stayed alive during missions and if they died they were replaced with a raw recruit

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

al-azad posted:

The unique aspect about the game was that you actually rolled virtual dice and saw them flop around the screen.

I came across RuneSword 2 which came out around the same time as RTCW, featured a scenario editor, and had virtual dice rolls. It's been released as open source, too.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Saint Septimus posted:

I came across RuneSword 2 which came out around the same time as RTCW, featured a scenario editor, and had virtual dice rolls. It's been released as open source, too.

This is definitely it, thanks. I don't know how I didn't come across the game sooner with the fact that I browsed Shrapnel Games' store a few months ago.

Psychorider
May 15, 2009

I Know the Answer to That posted:

looking for the name of an old RTS starship troopers game that i remember playing years ago. it sort of played like operation flashpoint: resistance (if that helps) in that you'd start with troops that would get stronger the longer they stayed alive during missions and if they died they were replaced with a raw recruit

Starship Troopers: Terran Ascendancy

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Brady posted:

It's a space Galaga type game (I know there are thousands) with good looking space backgrounds that change each (level/ boss)? It's newer-ish than most Galaga type games. There were shield power-ups in the game, and I believe you could power your weapon up to something like three times. Very smooth game play (you used your mouse). I can't remember anything that really set this game apart except for the backgrounds.

Deluxe Galaga AKA WarBlade?
http://www.warblade.as/index.asp

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin

Gromit posted:

Deluxe Galaga AKA WarBlade?
http://www.warblade.as/index.asp

Nope. The ship you controlled was larger (and purple/blue?), the background featured planets, on the right side of the screen it displayed your ship and the status I believe, and it was a bit more modern than WarBlade.

Thanks for the effort and the recommendation though. I think I'll give this game a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Ok, I need some help remembering the name of a game (though I believe it was called "WAR" or "W.A.R." or some poo poo like that).

Basically it was a dual stick or stick + ball upright arcade game, very similar to The GRID, in which three cabinets could be networked together for deathmatch play. The arcade cabinets had a green and black color scheme, if I remember correctly.

I remember playing it around 1998~2000, and there was some talk that it (and possibly The GRID as well) would be released on the Dreamcast, though I know neither did.

I'd like to see pictures of the game/cabinets, but searching for "war arcade game" really, really does not prove fruitful.