Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

DrChu posted:

There's nothing about that tone that sounds like fretless, and those harmonic bends at the start definitely don't. At about 1:08 you can see the light reflecting off the frets, you can see this a few more times throughout the song.

I think this is from the same performance, you can see his fretless is a completely different bass - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXOnhzoC-i8

This almost fooled me too. He uses so much vibrato on the fretted that it almost sounds like a fretless. Aside from being able to see the frets, you can see the difference in vibrato technique in those two videos. Across the string on fretted, and along it on fretless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

What do you guys think of this guitar for a starter?
http://www.staggmusic.com/products/products_detail.php?langue=uk&oneid=567
I have also been thinking about Steinberger bass. I have a budget of 2 grand or so for bass and amp. What would be a solid amp, something beyond a starter model?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Cross post from gear trades thread...

Selling my Boss SYB-3 bass synth pedal.

$95 obo shipped to the CONUS.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

pokie posted:

What do you guys think of this guitar for a starter?
http://www.staggmusic.com/products/products_detail.php?langue=uk&oneid=567
I have also been thinking about Steinberger bass. I have a budget of 2 grand or so for bass and amp. What would be a solid amp, something beyond a starter model?

Firstly, I wouldn't drop that kind of coin on a starter. Amps and cabs (mostly cabs) are kinda hard to sell for a decent price. Go on Craigslist and get yourself a nice 2x10" or 15" combo and a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz or Precision used. Let someone else take the depreciation hit. You could get something really nice for $500.00. The nice thing about the Vintage Modified line is that it's really good quality for the money to begin with and if you choose, a pickup upgrade is $150.00 or less. Replacement and upgrade parts are very common for anything P or J-based. Hang on to the remaining $1500.00 until you're sure that you are going to be justified spending more and then add to what you have. A second bass is good to have and the combo can stay in the studio/practice space. For that $1500.00 you can get an amazing rig with a ton of power and a very nice guitar.
Due to the horrendous economy, this is a buyer's market for used gear. Besides, the guitar and amp makers have been ripping people off forever by charging a massive premium for little more than a brand name (of course there are exceptions, but generally not the big names). gently caress them.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Kynetx posted:

Firstly, I wouldn't drop that kind of coin on a starter. Amps and cabs (mostly cabs) are kinda hard to sell for a decent price. Go on Craigslist and get yourself a nice 2x10" or 15" combo and a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz or Precision used. Let someone else take the depreciation hit. You could get something really nice for $500.00. The nice thing about the Vintage Modified line is that it's really good quality for the money to begin with and if you choose, a pickup upgrade is $150.00 or less. Replacement and upgrade parts are very common for anything P or J-based. Hang on to the remaining $1500.00 until you're sure that you are going to be justified spending more and then add to what you have. A second bass is good to have and the combo can stay in the studio/practice space. For that $1500.00 you can get an amazing rig with a ton of power and a very nice guitar.
Due to the horrendous economy, this is a buyer's market for used gear. Besides, the guitar and amp makers have been ripping people off forever by charging a massive premium for little more than a brand name (of course there are exceptions, but generally not the big names). gently caress them.

Actually, I'd say go with the Squier Classic Vibe series over the Vintage Modified series. The VMs were good, but the CVs are pretty fantastic for that price-point.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Scarf posted:

Actually, I'd say go with the Squier Classic Vibe series over the Vintage Modified series. The VMs were good, but the CVs are pretty fantastic for that price-point.

Huh. What's the advantage? Price or features? They look pretty decent.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Kynetx posted:

Huh. What's the advantage? Price or features? They look pretty decent.

Just seems like they kicked the quality up another notch. IMO though...

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm in the similar boat with a Squier II-P.

I redid the soldering on the stock guts, but it could use a full upgrade. I know I'm going to get new pick-ups, but where should I look for replacement potentiometers?

It also sounds like it has grounding issues. Could that be as simple as it having aluminum instead of copper shielding?

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
Alright, I've always used combo amps but finally got my cab today and am faced with a dilemma. I own 2 instrument cables and no speaker cables. What's the risk in using an instrument cable instead of a speaker cable? I mostly just want to be sure it won't damage the amp, I can get a new cable with ease next check (oh yea, forgot to mention I have $3 to my name and cannot get a new cable to mid next week) but a whole new stack would be less easy to cope with.

cpach
Feb 28, 2005

Typhus733 posted:

Alright, I've always used combo amps but finally got my cab today and am faced with a dilemma. I own 2 instrument cables and no speaker cables. What's the risk in using an instrument cable instead of a speaker cable? I mostly just want to be sure it won't damage the amp, I can get a new cable with ease next check (oh yea, forgot to mention I have $3 to my name and cannot get a new cable to mid next week) but a whole new stack would be less easy to cope with.

Don't do this. The cable can literally melt and then the output transformer on the amp can fry.

Go find all your loose change or something and get $5 for a drat cable. The 3' Hosa cable I use works fine and cost about that much. You can get the cheapest cable possible as long as it's actually designed to run out of a power amp.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Or, if you have a soldering iron and a spare power cable (extension cord, appliance cable, etc) lying around, you can solder the plugs off one of your instrument cables, cut the ends off of the power cable, and solder the plugs back onto the power cable.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

warwick5s posted:

Or, if you have a soldering iron and a spare power cable (extension cord, appliance cable, etc) lying around, you can solder the plugs off one of your instrument cables, cut the ends off of the power cable, and solder the plugs back onto the power cable.

I think I'm going to do this just for fun.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Kynetx posted:

That's a solid point. I am going to NYC in 3 weeks on a bus (for free!) and I am sure the craigslist there is rather accommodating.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

pokie posted:

That's a solid point. I am going to NYC in 3 weeks on a bus (for free!) and I am sure the craigslist there is rather accommodating.

If you're stopping near knoxville go ahead and pick this guy up.
http://knoxville.craigslist.org/msg/1573694254.html

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

A MIRACLE posted:

Unfortunately that's not sufficiently near my origin (Ithaca, NY) or destination (NYC, NY).

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

I think I'm going to do this just for fun.

Don't push it too hard though. The plugs for speakers are a bit beefier than instrument plugs.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

A MIRACLE posted:

Actually, how good of a deal is this Vintage Fretless Fender Precision Bass Guitar 1969-1971 for $350? I just might get a ride to there.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

pokie posted:

Actually, how good of a deal is this Vintage Fretless Fender Precision Bass Guitar 1969-1971 for $350? I just might get a ride to there.

Well I think the "fretless" neck was part of the refinished portion he's talking about, along with the extra pickup and perhaps the finish as well.

I'd need much better pictures to tell. But hell, if it plays and sounds good, $350 is a great price.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Yeah, except that I can't really tell whether a bass is good or not. That's why I am getting one :). How much would this go for new, could you take a guess?
My other alternative is this Steinberger XS-15FPA, which is a bit pricey:
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/msg/1570062097.html

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

pokie posted:

Yeah, except that I can't really tell whether a bass is good or not. That's why I am getting one :). How much would this go for new, could you take a guess?
My other alternative is this Steinberger XS-15FPA, which is a bit pricey:
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/msg/1570062097.html

Thats one ugly loving bass. Go with the p.

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.
Take someone with you who is more knowledgeable about guitars/basses if you can. Barring that, make sure you test it out with an amp before you buy it, and look down the neck to make sure it isn't twisted or doing anything really funky. It should have a slight bend in it, but nothing too severe. Test the knobs/switches and make sure it still makes noise at every setting. Electronic issues can easily be solved but since it sounds like you're on a bit of a budget it would be better if you didn't have to deal with that.

Any reason you're leaning towards fretless in particular? I don't want to discourage you, but it will be much more difficult to get even the most basic songs sounding good at first. Once you get it down you'll be totally badass though.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
How feasible is jazz bass on a fretted instrument? Also, can anyone suggest a site to get me started on the theory behind walking jazz bass lines? I know I can use google but it's nice to have a recommendation. I've been playing for about 3 years and have blues and rock down. Time to learn something new.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Dyna, I actually like the minimalistic look of Steinberger guitars.

Plastic Snake, I will probably take someone with me when I visit NYC - one of my coworkers there is a bass player. A MIRACLE recommended the fretless Fender as a good deal - that's the main reason I am mentioning it. I wouldn't be able to take a bass buddy to look at it though. Also, I don't really have budget constraints - I am prepared to spend up to 2k on bass and amp, but less is nice, naturally.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

gotly posted:

How feasible is jazz bass on a fretted instrument? Also, can anyone suggest a site to get me started on the theory behind walking jazz bass lines? I know I can use google but it's nice to have a recommendation. I've been playing for about 3 years and have blues and rock down. Time to learn something new.

Wow, you're going to play the most difficult music on the most difficult bass. I totally admire your determination.

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.

gotly posted:

Just buy "Building Walking Bass Lines" by Ed Friedland, it's worth every penny.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

Kynetx posted:

Wow, you're going to play the most difficult music on the most difficult bass. I totally admire your determination.

Yeah I'm actually going to be playing it at 4x speed while standing on a moving car. Also I'll be holding my amp with my scrotum piercing, so it'll be pretty tough.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Plastic Snake posted:

Just buy "Building Walking Bass Lines" by Ed Friedland, it's worth every penny.

+1 recommended! I have this book and had Ed for a teacher for a short period of time. Or Todd Johnson's building basslines DVD.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

gotly posted:

Yeah I'm actually going to be playing it at 4x speed while standing on a moving car. Also I'll be holding my amp with my scrotum piercing, so it'll be pretty tough.

Post pics or it didn't happen.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Ok so I've been using this effect combo for a while but finally got around to recording it. Figured I'd share.

MicroPOG + Enigma w/ distortion on = diiiiiiiiiirty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-lqdvyuwnc

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

pokie posted:

Dyna, I actually like the minimalistic look of Steinberger guitars.

Whether you like the look or not, as a headless bass owner myself I'd advise against buying one. While the headless tuning system is rock solid, the double ball end strings required can be a real bitch to buy and limit your options a hell of a lot.

Also, not sure if this extends to the latest models but I believe the Steinberger basses are made from entirely synthetic materials which lends itself to a tone that players tend to either love or hate. Even if you're currently dead set on the instrument, at least try it out on a decent amp before laying your money down.

Mine's a Hohner licensed copy (maple rather than synthetic) which I love to death but that has more to do with it being my first decent bass than anything else. If I had the same choice to make over again I would definitely have gone with something different.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Scarf posted:

Ok so I've been using this effect combo for a while but finally got around to recording it. Figured I'd share.

MicroPOG + Enigma w/ distortion on = diiiiiiiiiirty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-lqdvyuwnc

Great sounds! And good work on the pedalboard.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Schatten posted:

Great sounds! And good work on the pedalboard.

Thanks, I appreciate it :)

I still need to paint it though...

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Bill Posters posted:

Headless bass...

Thanks for the info - I'll definitely take it into consideration.

Dee Dee
May 12, 2009
Has anyone here had any experience with the Hohner Jazz Bass? I'm looking at one for $150 and have heard they're good for the money, but I want some other opinions.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Well, I finally took the plunge and bought a bass. I'd been scouring the usual sources (Craigslist/Ebay/Classifieds/etc.). I almost pulled the trigger a couple of times on Ebay, but I held back because I didn't want to be stuck with a defective product. Anyway, last week, there was a guy on Craigslist selling a used ESP 5-string (B-55) for pretty cheap; at least compared to the used prices I'd seen for that particular model elsewhere. When I called him, he told me he'd just pawned it that very day. So, I rushed out of the house & headed to the pawn shop. The owner had the bass listed $100 LESS than the guy was asking for it on Ebay. Also, he was pretty cool; he told me if there were any problems, then I could bring it back within 7 days. He threw in a hardcase for it and off I went. When I got in the car, I Googled luthiers in my area and found one within about 10 blocks. I was pressed for time at this point, but the gentleman didn't charge me to look over the bass. According to him, there weren't any problems with it. He told me to bring it back later and he'd do a set-up/intonation for $30. The next day, I went and picked up some new strings for it and a strap. I also stopped by a friend's house, who has been playing guitar for about 20 years, and he gave me a Zoom B2 multi-effects unit that he had sitting around since he'd played a few bass parts for various bands he'd been in. It works as a pretty decent headphone amp/tuner until I decide to spend some more to pick up more dedicated hardware. The bass itself is a P/J pickup config and it has, at least to my ears, a pretty decent array of tones for a beginner's bass between the two pickup volume knobs and the tone control.

I had to go to work that same day (I work for 2 weeks away from home), so I stopped by GC on my way to work and picked up the Hal Leonard Bass Method (Complete) as well as the Bass Fitness book. After getting to work, I thumbed through both and decided that the BF book would have to sit for awhile as my understanding of music is not even rudimentary. Thus far, over a couple of days and free time at work, I've worked through about 20 pages of the Bass Method book. I ripped the CD's to my computer and, as I get to a new "song"/exercise in the book, I import the audio into Audacity and I use markers to write the notes to line up with the audio. Then, I just practice until I can play the song through with no mistake using Audacity as a reference. Next, I'll do the same thing, but actually looking at the notation off of the written page while saying the note names as I play them.

So far, it's been fun. I need to work on my notation some more; I've been using the clef tutor at Studybass.com to hone my note recognition. I find it's a little bit easier when I play off of Audacity and can just read the note names. I've also realized that I have a tendency to play ahead of the rhythm sometimes, so I'll also play each song/exercise using the metronome on the B2. So far, so good though. I'm enjoying the hell out of it and I don't even have a ton of time here at work. At most, I can sit for about 15-30 minutes at a time to practice. The 2 weeks while I'm off for work, I have a TON more time available. So that's that. Just thought I'd share.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I am going crazy. I *have* to play through a VB-3 sometime soon or I will explode.

edit: Mother FUCKER. Just talked to Peavey, closest is in Peoria. :smith: I may have to just bite the bullet and make GC order one for me, then return it right away.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 2, 2010

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

warwick5s posted:

I am going crazy. I *have* to play through a VB-3 sometime soon or I will explode.

edit: Mother FUCKER. Just talked to Peavey, closest is in Peoria. :smith: I may have to just bite the bullet and make GC order one for me, then return it right away.

For the love of god post clips when you do.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

warwick5s posted:

I feel the same about the IPR 1600. I have a double-header this weekend that will go toward most of the cost of one. 7lbs, 1600 watts baby.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/IPR1600

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
A couple of questions for the accomplished players:

At the beginning of each little practice session, I always begin by queuing up the first example in the Method book, then playing through all of them until I reach the piece/section that I'm currently working on. At what point should some of the early 8-bar sections be relegated to the nostalgia box? I know that repetition, especially being new to the instrument, is helpful. I just don't want to fill my practice time with activity that's not really going to help anymore.

Also, though I've gotten reading fairly down pat, I wouldn't describe it as "speed" reading. I'll be buying a music stand when I get home from work so I can actually see the notation on a more fairly even plane (right now, I'm laying it flat on a desk next to me). In the meantime, to help my speed of absorption of each new piece, I'm writing underneath the staff, in the margins, the actual note names. So, I'll start off by learning a few bars at a time until I can string all of the bars of the piece together. 3/4 of this is spent playing by reading the note names; the other 1/4 is actually reading the note notation itself, which is the point at which I feel I've mastered the piece and move on. Any tips for improvement or advice about practicing this way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

C2C - 2.0 posted:

A couple of questions for the accomplished players:

At the beginning of each little practice session, I always begin by queuing up the first example in the Method book, then playing through all of them until I reach the piece/section that I'm currently working on. At what point should some of the early 8-bar sections be relegated to the nostalgia box? I know that repetition, especially being new to the instrument, is helpful. I just don't want to fill my practice time with activity that's not really going to help anymore.

Honestly you should never throw anything into the "nostalgia" box. The better solution is start to build on it and experiment with what you can do with it.

If you're talking about like 8-bar blues, there's a TON you can do building off of that pattern. Look into learning some of the old ragtime, jazz, and gospel progressions based off of blues patterns.