Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma
Please get Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries. I wasted many hours on Kali with that killing the gently caress out of scrubby pilots and building my own mechs with the txt editor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

thedaian posted:

Wikipedia says that Betrayal isn't actually freeware, though it was released on Sierra's website around 1998 or so.

Also, it's on abandonia, so it's not like it's impossible to find. But an offical release by GoG would be nice. Plus, they might be able to secure the rights to the novel that was published after Return to Krondor.

There was a series of three novelizations out of a planned five - one for each game and then one in between (Krondor: The Betrayal, Krondor:The Assasins and Krondor:The Tear of the Gods), whereas there was some rights issues with the last two and now there's no point in doing them because later books have already dealt with Sidi/Leso Varan.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Can Arcanum be played in windowed mode?

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

Please get Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries. I wasted many hours on Kali with that killing the gently caress out of scrubby pilots and building my own mechs with the txt editor

This game is going to be so much better with not a x486 and not a 40mb HD. Now to dig up my old college buddies and teach them a lesson.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The commonly shared version of Betrayal at Krondor is the original disk version which is vastly inferior to the harder-to-acquire-and-run-properly CD version. The CD version has better music, sound effects, and a making-of video with the original author of the books. I have it but can't get it to run properly.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy
I'm so glad I can finally replay Gabriel Knight.

What can you tell me about... Voodoo?

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

GreenNight posted:

Can Arcanum be played in windowed mode?

open your shortcut, add -windowed right after the "blah/arcanum.exe" outside of the quotes.

Works great if you use the high-rez patch, and set the size to something smaller than your desktop. I am using 1280x1024 on a 1600x1200 desktop and it makes for easy guide/manual/fart tabbing.

As I'm picking up ME2 soon, I'll probably start off with a gigantic retard :)

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
OP updated. Also, thank you for posting that interview,Sporadic, or I wouldn't have seen it, especially this bit:

quote:

Okay, so first, how did you pull this one off? Codemasters, Ubisoft...these were quite big, rather unexpected deals. But Activision are surely the last frontier, really -- the last publisher anyone expected to sign on. They're known for charging more on PC games, using DRM, and going the very corporate approach in general. What happened? How long have you been trying to get this deal going? What was Activision's first response? Did you have to get after them after first proposing the signing?

It wasn't easy, but no one said it [would] be. It took us more than a year to finalize the deal with Activision. We [had] first approached Vivendi; it was just before their fusion with Activision, so the timing wasn't exactly perfect for us. We presented them our offer and the whole concept of the service, which appealed to them, especially in the case of Sierra titles. Then after the merge we started talking to Activision about possible cooperation and [though] they liked the concept of selling older titles via digital distribution, there was still the DRM issue. That's the problem we come across many times while discussing with publishers. Thanks to our inborn charm and good arguments we've managed to convince Activision that selling DRM-free games is a good point, not a flaw.
Signing new deals always takes a lot of time, but if we're talking about Activision, one of the biggest publishers in the world, it's taking even more time and work. We're sure it was worth working so hard to finally offer such great classics to our customers. We're really happy about this deal and we can assure you it's just the beginning.

That right there is how games should be digitally distributed. Period. They got loving Activision to sign a DRM-free deal.

Just for that, I'm buying Gabriel Knight too; I was going to wait, but I want them to see that I appreciate their business, and everyone should support these guys, even if you already have boxed/pirated copies. The convenience and how hard they work for their customers makes it more than worth it.

Give them $12, people. They deserve it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Charles Martel posted:

They got loving Activision to sign a DRM-free deal.

Here's what's worth remembering:

GOG do all the support for the games that they sell. Abandonware makes no money for the IP-holders. Reprinting a game is expensive. Distributing in on GOG is literally free for the publisher.

The reason Activision got onboard is probably this: selling abandonware through GOG for $6/$10 allows them to re-monetise titles that would otherwise continue to be freely available online, as well as re-criminalise the downloading of said titles as abandonware. They're not doing it because they want to get in our good graces, and they're certainly not doing it because they believe in DRM-free games. They're doing it because they are getting money for free out of this, and legal grounds to assert their control over these old IPs should they ever be challenged. GOG takes the games and fixes it up, GOG distributes the games and pays for the bandwidth and GOG provides all support for the games.

The reason GOG managed to get them onboard is more likely than not exactly that: they offered Activision and absolutely golden opportunity in exchange for the minor inconvenience of having the games be distributed DRM-free (when they can probably be found online anyway) and for no more than $10 (again, you can probably find them online for free). Kotick may be an absolute oval office but he is in no way an idiot.

Now that Activision has acted on this, I'm sure the other megapublishers will realise that this is literally a win-win situation for them to put themselves in.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
"especially in the case of Sierra titles."

Theres the important bit right there.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Ansob. posted:

Here's what's worth remembering:

GOG do all the support for the games that they sell. Abandonware makes no money for the IP-holders. Reprinting a game is expensive. Distributing in on GOG is literally free for the publisher.

The reason Activision got onboard is probably this: selling abandonware through GOG for $6/$10 allows them to re-monetise titles that would otherwise continue to be freely available online, as well as re-criminalise the downloading of said titles as abandonware. They're not doing it because they want to get in our good graces, and they're certainly not doing it because they believe in DRM-free games. They're doing it because they are getting money for free out of this, and legal grounds to assert their control over these old IPs should they ever be challenged. GOG takes the games and fixes it up, GOG distributes the games and pays for the bandwidth and GOG provides all support for the games.

The reason GOG managed to get them onboard is more likely than not exactly that: they offered Activision and absolutely golden opportunity in exchange for the minor inconvenience of having the games be distributed DRM-free (when they can probably be found online anyway) and for no more than $10 (again, you can probably find them online for free). Kotick may be an absolute oval office but he is in no way an idiot.

Now that Activision has acted on this, I'm sure the other megapublishers will realise that this is literally a win-win situation for them to put themselves in.

All of what you said bears some truth but the truth is that GoG isn't the only DD service and it isn't anywhere near the largest. No one else could land Activision and that says a lot. I guarantee GoG wasn't the only one trying and I guarantee Activision said no to others.

The REAL Holy Grail has got to be all the poo poo EA owns, but I'm not holding my breath on any of that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

glug posted:

open your shortcut, add -windowed right after the "blah/arcanum.exe" outside of the quotes.

Works great if you use the high-rez patch, and set the size to something smaller than your desktop. I am using 1280x1024 on a 1600x1200 desktop and it makes for easy guide/manual/fart tabbing.

As I'm picking up ME2 soon, I'll probably start off with a gigantic retard :)

loving awesome. Now I can play it at work :dance:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I wonder if the older Blizzard titles will appear, like the ones that are not offered on their website to purchase, like Diablo 1, the older Warcraft, or Lost Vikings.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Overwined posted:

All of what you said bears some truth but the truth is that GoG isn't the only DD service and it isn't anywhere near the largest. No one else could land Activision and that says a lot. I guarantee GoG wasn't the only one trying and I guarantee Activision said no to others.

The REAL Holy Grail has got to be all the poo poo EA owns, but I'm not holding my breath on any of that.

Yeah, the way I look at it Activision is the dam wall that they pretty much smashed completely. The dudes at CD Projekt are basically shouting "Hey fuckheads, here's the longest running game publisher in the world and they agreed that we're awesome!" Everyone knows about their hardass policies and Activision didn't survive 30 years by playing stupid. If this isn't a flick-in-the-balls wake up call for EA and other prolific PC publishers to sign on, I don't know what is.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Ansob. posted:

I agree with you, but the point I was trying to make is that GOG not only tried and are continually trying to get all of the classics from seemingly impossible publishers, but they are fighting tooth and nail and not taking "No" as an answer, which is commendable. I know Activision didn't do it for our good graces. I was pointing more to GOG who are going out on a limb for their customers, and they should be supported and gain more fans and support because of it.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
drat, Arcanum for $6?! If you have any interest in RPGs, that's a must buy. I still have my original discs though, just finished a playthrough a few months ago. Though the combat is quite generic, I think the world and the characters make up for it. It's such a shame Troika went tits up, they were really onto something.

adamarama fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 29, 2010

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

MY FANTASYS.zip posted:

I wonder if the older Blizzard titles will appear, like the ones that are not offered on their website to purchase, like Diablo 1, the older Warcraft, or Lost Vikings.

Never. Odds are they'll show up when Battle.net 2 gets done in some form.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma

MY FANTASYS.zip posted:

I think you can get Diablo 1 from the Diablo warchest they sell, I could be wrong though but I swear its on my netbook right now...

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

I think you can get Diablo 1 from the Diablo warchest they sell, I could be wrong though but I swear its on my netbook right now...

I can confirm this, it's been sitting idle in that box since I got the set.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

I do have Diablo 1 through, so I'm not worry about buying it.

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

It was surprising enough to see Arcanum up for sale, but at $5.99 it's just ridiculous.
I'll throw in with everyone else urging people to buy it. At this price, it's worth it just to explore the unique setting of Victorian era steampunk fantasy.
What other game lets you make a retarded, mutton-chopped orc pugilist traveling the land pummeling dandified elves about the face and neck?

Granted, the game is a bit buggy and playing in real-time mode is a bit of a chore, but everything else comes together to make a pretty worthy successor to the original Fallouts.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma
It's worth 6 dollars just for the soundtrack

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Overwined posted:

but the truth is that GoG isn't the only DD service and it isn't anywhere near the largest

Thing is, Steam, GamersGate, etc. all expect the publisher to provide support for their games, and have varying levels of quality control. GOG is the only DD service that takes on all support duties. GOG fixes the game so it runs on modern PCs. GOG patches the game. GOG deals with complaints.

Unlike releasing old titles on Steam, which would involve some work and hiring a support team, releasing old titles on GOG involves no work whatsoever by the publisher. GOG does everything. This is what's important.

In any case, totally agree with this:

Charles Martel posted:

I was pointing more to GOG who are going out on a limb for their customers, and they should be supported and gain more fans and support because of it.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
Of course, the other advantage to GoG is that they give you stand-alone installs. There's that added bit of security in knowing you can backup your downloads and you're guaranteed to have the game forever, as opposed to Steam where you have to rely on Valve's software and the promise that "one day" they'll hand over the install files.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
With Activision on board, I hope like crazy this means some Interplay games.

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande

Dog Toggle Switch posted:

It was surprising enough to see Arcanum up for sale, but at $5.99 it's just ridiculous.
I'll throw in with everyone else urging people to buy it. At this price, it's worth it just to explore the unique setting of Victorian era steampunk fantasy.
What other game lets you make a retarded, mutton-chopped orc pugilist traveling the land pummeling dandified elves about the face and neck?

Granted, the game is a bit buggy and playing in real-time mode is a bit of a chore, but everything else comes together to make a pretty worthy successor to the original Fallouts.

The only reason I'm not buying it even at 5$ is that if I'm paying money for it, I want someone else to deal with all the mods and patches and stuff, and I think the gog version does not have any patches? I'm not sure myself

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

So I wonder when GOG gets rid of the "Beta" text in the top-left banner... You'd think they're 1.0 by now.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

They said they're rolling out the final version early 2010, so it has to be coming up quick.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That would open up the possibility for some great RPGs, but most of all I'd love to see the Carmageddon Max Pack and Carmageddon II :black101: and, on the other side of the spectrum, that Star Trek 25th Anniversary game.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

Swamp Zero posted:

The only reason I'm not buying it even at 5$ is that if I'm paying money for it, I want someone else to deal with all the mods and patches and stuff, and I think the gog version does not have any patches? I'm not sure myself

The games are always patched to the latest official version, as well as running on modern versions of Windows, and the forums are usually helpful in pointing you to useful unofficial stuff.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Swamp Zero posted:

The games are, as far as i know, always patched with the latest official patch. Dont know why you expect them to deal with mods though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

That would open up the possibility for some great RPGs, but most of all I'd love to see the Carmageddon Max Pack and Carmageddon II :black101: and, on the other side of the spectrum, that Star Trek 25th Anniversary game.

I wouldn't mind trying I-82 again (and obviously I-76 + Nitro Pack).

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Aren't there a couple Interplay games on there already? I know Stonekeep was Interplay.

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande

Charlie Mopps posted:

The games are, as far as i know, always patched with the latest official patch. Dont know why you expect them to deal with mods though.

That's sweet I didn't know they have a rule about it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Vidmaster posted:

Aren't there a couple Interplay games on there already? I know Stonekeep was Interplay.

Redneck Rampage, Fallout, etc are Interplay.

I meant "some more", as Interplay was the first company signed on by GOG. I thought Activision owned some of Interplays IPs?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Man, with Activision on GoG it's like the possibility to play so many great titles from my younger years will finally come true.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Redneck Rampage, Fallout, etc are Interplay.

I meant "some more", as Interplay was the first company signed on by GOG. I thought Activision owned some of Interplays IPs?

More would definitely be good, agreed. Just wasn't sure if you were aware that there were already a few on there :)

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Swamp Zero posted:

Do you need the link to three simple downloads?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Interview roundup.

CD Projekt's co-founder Marcin Iwinski posted:

Activision is the biggest publisher participating in GoG.com and has a huge array of older games it can offer. First, can you give us and idea of what titles we can expect to show up in the weeks and months to come? Will we see titles like Pitfall, Interstate 76, Dark Reign, Soldier of Fortune..maybe even the first Call of Duty game? Will we see any other older games from Activision's merger with Vivendi Games?

Heheheheh ... I can't spill the beans here, as we have a whole plan lined up and a lot of surprises coming. Let me just say that we have a few of the games you mentioned and plenty others. We are starting with the ones that, in our opinion, are most wanted by gamers (OK – and us, as well ;). There will be both games from Activision and Vivendi – that's a big advantage of the merger that I was talking about earlier. Many great titles coming to GOG.com, so check us out through January at least a couple of times.

Looks like you Interstate 76 fans may get your wish after all. :)

http://news.bigdownload.com/2010/01/28/interview-cd-projekts-co-founder-talks-gog-com-the-witcher-2/

---------------

20 Activision games in the first wave.

quote:

How many games in total did GOG.com acquire in the Activision deal?

We have started with the first batch, which is around 20 games in total, which will translate to something around 15+ SKUs, as we are putting some games into packs to offer really good value for money.

This is just a small taste to kick things off, as our goal was to have it up and running as soon as possible. Quite often it's not that easy with older games - especially when companies merge. Although it might look really simple from the outside to add more titles, each game has to be checked from the legal side, and with the older ones it can get really complicated and time consuming.

We have focused on what we thought were the most wanted and most awaited games, but we will surely be adding more. Our goal with GOG.com is to have all good old games in one place, and yes, Activision is a major step forward in our mission :)

http://www.gamezebo.com/features/interviews/gogs-marcin-iwinski-activision-deal-why-drm-still-sucks

=========

Also new publisher coming in March!

quote:

In March, we plan to announce another big publisher thanks to whom GOG will get HUUUGE hits. By the way, it's not the only surprise we have planned for March. ;)

http://polygamia.pl/Polygamia/1,95338,7498776,GOG_zlowil_Activision.html

It has to be either Lucasarts or EA.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

I wouldn't mind trying I-82 again (and obviously I-76 + Nitro Pack).
I always wanted a copy of I-82, if only because it had some previously unreleased Devo songs on the soundtrack.